Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some help with veggie lasagne making!

Options
  • 08-03-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

I really am a rubbish cook so can anyone answer these probably v basic questions as im making a vegetarian lasagne from scratch for the first time on wednesday?

1.Do you need to peel the skin off the aubergine or just slice as is and cook?

2.Would courgette be suitable in this dish instead of mushrooms?

3.Im making bruschetta for starters. Can i pre-chop the tomatoes in the morning and mix with the basil ready to go for the evening?Will they go to mush that way? Trying to save time.;)

4.Can i pre roast the peppers for the lasagne that morning too or do they have to be roasted more or less before making the full thing?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Whats the point in making lasagne if you're not putting meat in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Whats the point in making lasagne if you're not putting meat in it.
    Because two of my friends are vegetarian and dont think theyd appreciate if i put beef in it somehow.Im cooking for 7 people so a large veg lasagne dish and bruschetta for everyone with extra chicken wings for the meat eaters.

What about lamb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

anniehoo wrote: »
    1.Do you need to peel the skin off the aubergine or just slice as is and cook?
    Slice and cook as it is
    2.Would courgette be suitable in this dish instead of mushrooms?
    Yes
    3.Im making bruschetta for starters. Can i pre-chop the tomatoes in the morning and mix with the basil ready to go for the evening?Will they go to mush that way? Trying to save time.;)
    Mix them in the morning, they will be fine
    4.Can i pre roast the peppers for the lasagne that morning too or do they have to be roasted more or less before making the full thing?
    You can both roast and peel them in the morning.

Thanks a million lonestargirl ;) thats a huge help!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

when you slice the aubergine, sprinkle it will salt and leave for about 20 mins, and they wipe off the brown juice that comes out.

just one little thing, i am a veggie, i detest aubergine and courgettes as do most people i know, so you might want to check with them.

a good idea of bulking up a veggie lasange is grated carrot - it gives a really nice, sweet taste

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

When I make veggie lasagne I chop the veg up tiny, as in top of a baby finger, so no one veg stands out and no one (inc courgette hating people) complain or notice the veg :D

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I use the food proceesor to shred/grate all the veg, typically it will have eggplant, corgettes, carrots, 1 parsnip, peppers, onion, mushrooms the lot and it all browns and blends with the sauce really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I find spinach really boosts flavour and 'saucyness'. Add it to the layers just before the bechmel sauce.

Sorry one more question :o (you've all been great)! If i made the lasagne tonight would it be ok to reheat tomorrow or not, or would the veg be awful? Everybodys comin around literally straight after work, so itd be a good while before anything gets served up at the rate im going.

/really shouldve picked a simpler dish :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Sorry one more question :o (you've all been great)! If i made the lasagne tonight would it be ok to reheat tomorrow or not, or would the veg be awful? Everybodys comin around literally straight after work, so itd be a good while before anything gets served up at the rate im going.

/really shouldve picked a simpler dish :p

If you can make it tonight, then defo do it. It tastes SOOO much better the next day.

olaola wrote: »
    If you can make it tonight, then defo do it. It tastes SOOO much better the next day.
    Great! Thats what ill do so thanks.

Well...fairly productive evening thanks to yas all! Lasagne done and looks daaaamn tasty even if i do say so myself. Its full to the brim with gorgeous veg ready to go for tomorrow night. Bruschetta toasts premade (google tip) and chicken wings are "dryin out" as we speak ready for the crispy skin!Heres hopin it tastes as good as it looks.Im knackered but so glad i did it all tonight or my poor mates wouldnt be eating till all hrs 2mo :D

This is my new fav forum now ;)

fair play to you! i wish we were friends.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

Sounds like you did great! My favourite ingredient to add to a veggie lasagne is a tin of chilli kidney beans - you wouldn't believe how amazing they are!

Well update everyone...it was fliiiiiipin gorgeous. I was soo surprised veg lasagne could taste so nice. Im delighted with myself and will definitely make it again.I even ate the mushrooms which i normally detest.

Chicken wings id give 7/10. I tried all the tips and tricks to make them E&C style but they still didnt quite match up.

Lovely night though and am surprised at how fab proper home cooked food can be (im a microwave gal). Wrecked...and lookin at the washin up now wishin it would disappear :o

/i know..i need a blog

Advertisement