Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students

Options
  • 08-03-2010 9:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

was just talking about this with my flatmate, both of us went to uni in the UK but live in Dublin now.
    Why are there no student areas in Dublin, or any sign of student bars and stuff like that like you have in Cardiff, Edinburgh, and even Belfast? People will probably say Rathmines/Ranelagh etc, but the rent there is extortionate these days, speaking from my experience of trying to rent somewhere. My flatmate reckons it's because everyone in Ireland lives at home when they go to Uni, or at least the majority of students do.
    I think it's a shame for the students here because the whole student life thing is great craic in the UK.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Think its mainly a case that students here just rent all over the place depending on their income. Seeing as there is quite a few universities in the city and IT's you'd expect there not to be 1 "student" area.
    I'd somewhat agree with the student bars (apart from on-campus ones) but you find here moreoften that pubs/clubs have "student" nights rather than the student pubs your refering to in the UK.
    No bad thing I think really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    was just talking about this with my flatmate, both of us went to uni in the UK but live in Dublin now.
    Why are there no student areas in Dublin, or any sign of student bars and stuff like that like you have in Cardiff, Edinburgh, and even Belfast? People will probably say Rathmines/Ranelagh etc, but the rent there is extortionate these days, speaking from my experience of trying to rent somewhere. My flatmate reckons it's because everyone in Ireland lives at home when they go to Uni, or at least the majority of students do.
    I think it's a shame for the students here because the whole student life thing is great craic in the UK.

I'm not entirely sure but a lot of places around Camden St area would be for students but certainly nothing on the scale of other cities.

Someone once said that Ireland is so out of touch with youth because the people here with the money are mainly older, he had a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Whelan's is chock full o'students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Most clubs in Dublin are student nights during the week...€2.50/€3 drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Students aye? **** the lot of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

There are so many universities and colleges, all with different campuses. Santry and Glasnevin are full of DCU students, logically enough. Ditto out towards Belfield. Rather than having designated 'student bars' most clubs and pubs in town will have student nights during the week, or student friendly admission/drink prices. Makes more sense than having a pub dedicated to a student populous which largely disappears back to the midlands to play gaah each weekend :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Rathmines has always been considered a very student-y area ... but rent is usually high around there because it's close to town and it's known for having a good atmosphere.

It's probably one of the most desirable locations in Dublin, at the moment.
    Most clubs in Dublin are student nights during the week...€2.50/€3 drinks.

This is true. Loads of clubs have special offers on during the week which are good fun, but Dublin is considerably less student-y than other cities.

Bars and clubs in Dublin only become known as student hangouts because students take a liking to them, rather than because they initially promote themselves as being for students.

Advertisement