Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving on beaches in Dublin

Options
  • 08-03-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

after a few years of not driving on any beaches in Dublin i decided to take a drive out to dollymount beach but was suprised when i saw most of the beach blocked off by bollards only allowing you to drive on a tiny portion of the sand,even worse so afterwards i went upto donabate and rush beaches to find them completely closed off to vehicular traffic,is this a permanent thing or will they be opened upto vehicle access during the summer??,or does anybody know of any beaches that can be driven on thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I think it is only right that you cannot drive onto beaches. Dollymount was appalling until they blocked it off, and it only encourages little boy and girl racers. Bettystown is awful with the amount of cars that are allowed there, and even worse in summer.

Whats the problem with parking your car in the car park and walking on the beach!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I think it is only right that you cannot drive onto beaches. Dollymount was appalling until they blocked it off, and it only encourages little boy and girl racers. Bettystown is awful with the amount of cars that are allowed there, and even worse in summer.

Whats the problem with parking your car in the car park and walking on the beach!?
    because i like driving in the sand,hence why i asked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

triple-M wrote: »
    because i like driving in the sand,hence why i asked

they are not public roads, they are beaches and not suitable for driving on.
    Personally I am delighted that the restrictions are there.

they are not public roads, they are beaches and not suitable for driving on.
    Personally I am delighted that the restrictions are there.
    i beg to differ at one stage there were speed limit signs posted on dollymount strand which would indicate it was a public road,anyways im not here to debate whether or not it is suitable to drive on beaches or not so stop going off topic,im trying to find out if theres any beaches that are open to vehicular traffic as i enjoy the smooth and easy steering in the sand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you can drive a bit on bettystown.

• Advertisement

Martron wrote: »
    you can drive a bit on bettystown.
    cool,is that the part behind funtasia?

yeah its well patrolled by the guards so there is no messing . there was an incident not so long ago.

so dont act the maggot as people walk there too

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Driving on beaches in Fingal was banned on the basis of the dangers associated with the number of pedestrians, dogs etc and the same can be said of Dollymount.

That being said, those who abused the fact that driving on beaches was allowed are responsible for them being closed.

(Speed limit signs do not make a beach a road.)

hmm thats interesting,so all driveable beaches in fingal are barricaded off to vehicular traffic? thats a pity so many dubliners have very fond memories of learning how to drive in the sand,legal or not who cares they were the good old days,what a loss to fingal although i can understand the annoyance of people enjoying the beach and its facilities and then having fools in their cars act the bollix pulling the handbrake and flying down the sand endangering everybody,pity that such a minority ruin it for everybody,as i dont see a problem with peole driving safely down the far end of a beach away from people in a responsible manner,of course speed limits make it a road just because its on sand doesnt make it any less legally enforceable than any other public road why would they be putting up signs if its not a road,doesnt matter anywyas theyre gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - Your question regarding vehicular access to North County Dublin beaches has been answered. If you wish to debate the finer points of what is & isn't a road - please start a new thread in the relevant Motoring forum.

Thanks,

HB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

You can drive on Gormanston beach which is just over the border of North County Dublin. You need to time the tide right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Posher wrote: »
    You can drive on Gormanston beach which is just over the border of North County Dublin. You need to time the tide right though.

Drove down there very late one night many years ago when I was courtin to watch the waves,;) so easy to get stuck, thankfully the lad in the next car had a rope.

I am delighted with this ban. Its great to see so many people out walking and kids running up and down the dunes. Last Sunday there were hundreds out walking and people were chatting, nice to see. Long may it last.

One problem is however there is not a lot of carparking at the North or South beach in Rush. I wouldnt mind if the made space for some cars to go onto the beach. We actually had this in Rush ant there were objections to it so the Council blocked off the whole place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LeoB wrote: »
    Drove down there very late one night many years ago when I was doggingto watch the waves,;)

Fixed your post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Fixed your post. :D

Ah thanks.

everyone very helpful tonight fixing everyones posts!!!

Hill Billy wrote: »
    OP - Your question regarding vehicular access to North County Dublin beaches has been answered. If you wish to debate the finer points of what is & isn't a road - please start a new thread in the relevant Motoring forum.

Thanks,

HB
    they started it!,anyways this thread is as good as closed i got the answers I wanted,thanks all

Advertisement