Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession or exploitation?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I just want to get another perspective on this. I have been working as a tutor for a couple of years now. Work got tight for a while so I ended up working for a training company for a lot less money than I was usually paid for my job.

At the time the work was not overly demanding and the boss promised to look at wages a few months down the road. I decided to take the job rather than being out of work.

A month ago I was asked to take on a course I was not familiar with as a problem occurred with the current tutor on the course. I was not comfortable with it as I felt I lacked experience in this area. However the implication was that if I did not take it I would be looking at the dole queue.

I took on the course which involved me having to work evenings as well as weekends to research and come up with materials to do the course. I was given little support despite promises of this. I was also given no extra pay nor offered anything in lieu of all of the extra hours i put in.

My boss has indicated that there are no funds to give me extra money right now and is saying that he cannot spare me any time off. I know this is not right and feel abused and exploited.

What are my rights in a situation like this? I do not want to be out of work but I don't want to be treated like this any longer.

All advice welcome!

Advertisement