Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral Mega-Thread

Options
  • 08-03-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've lied, this isn't really the mega-thread.... Its the idea-gathering for the mega-thread!

Post all oral questions you can think of in here. Include the basics if you want, but mainly anything abstract you think we could be asked. Topical issues etc.

I'll give ye a week, then I'll come back, gather all the questions, and create the MEGA-THREAD. I'll have all the questions there, and we can all start helping each other out with them. Everyone can add phrases etc. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Do you think anyone will be bothered. They'll be on the books instead of typing up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Can always count on Boards for some positivity. Well it doesn't take long to type up a sentence or two

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

I'll be the first will I?
    Q: Cad é do mheas don córas oideachas? (What's your opinion of the educational system)/ roinnt oideachas (department of education)
    An ceapann tú go bhfuil an córas na bpointí féarálta?
    (Do you think that the points system is fear?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

IrishKev wrote: »
    I'll be the first will I?
    Q: Cad é do mheas don córas oideachas? (What's your opinion of the educational system)/ roinnt oideachas (department of education)
    An ceapann tú go bhfuil an córas na bpointí féarálta?
    (Do you think that the points system is fear?)

Cheers! Doesn't even need to be in Irish if people are unsure about the translation. Just to throw out the ideas :D But yeah, thanks for the translation :cool:

Suppose they could ask you what you would do to change the education system. (Sorry, my teacher REFUSES to teach us that tense....)
    Er, Dá mbéinn i do Aire(?), cad a dhéanfá?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Can a dhéanfá dá mbéafá i do... Thaoiseach, phríomhoide, mhúinteoir Ghaeilge, Aire Airgeadais, Aire Sláinte (got asked this one in my mock oral. agh!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

It can go in any weird direction. In my Irish oral last year we talked about Youtube and World War 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bradence93!

my mock oral was good. she asked me hats the differences between town and city, then waht problems are in both and then what can we do to solve the problems. and aswel you get to lead to what they talk about remember that!!! so dont mention something you dont want to talk about!!!!!!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

After 12 years of trying to learn Irish we are still worried about a 15 minute conversation. Irish = Fail

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

How do you say
    ''I have a shower every day'' and
    ''I go there when I'm lucky'' (the computer room)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

brian1991 wrote: »
    ''I go there when I'm lucky'' (the computer room)

Téim go dtí an ríomharlann nuair atá an t-ádh orm.

Can't remember the word for shower off the top of my head.

• Advertisement

zoom! wrote: »
    After 12 years of trying to learn Irish we are still worried about a 15 minute conversation. Irish = Fail

Wrong.

The education system = Fail.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think the reason that people get so worked up about it is that it is worth so many marks.

To put it in context. All the poetry (pass and honours), all the prós, and the drama (An Triail/Peig etc.) add up to the same amount of marks as the 15 minute oral. But consider the time spent on each. The majority of time is spent on the poems, the prós, the drama - it's extremely time-consuming, leaving less time for the oral, for the same amount of marks.

Overall, I think the main reason people get fussed about it is that they learn Irish through a broken system that puts emphasis on poetic techniques, stair na Gaelige etc. rather than spoken Irish.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Téim go dtí an ríomharlann nuair atá an t-ádh orm.

Can't remember the word for shower off the top of my head.

Thanks. I was unsure whether it what to call the computer room also. Ríomharlann sounds correct.
    Cithfholcadh is shower if I remember correctly. So... tá chithfolcadh agam gach tá? Now that doesn't sound correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

I am a shower.

Not right.

It's also lá not tá.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I think tá chithfolcadh orm means I am a shower. Tá ___ agam means i have ____. I could be wrong though. I havn't done a lot of oral irish in school, just the basics about myself and family. Think i'll work on it myself.

Thanks. I was unsure whether it what to call the computer room also. Ríomharlann sounds correct.
    Cithfholcadh is shower if I remember correctly. So... tá chithfolcadh agam gach tá? Now that doesn't sound correct.

Nah, you wouldn't say "I have a shower" in Irish. It would be more, that you take a shower.

Maybe - "glacaim cithfholcadh gach lá". Wait for a better translation before you write it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bradence93!

almost certain its "bíonn cith agem gach lá" went the gealteacht and sure thats what we said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I am screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Bíonn cith agam gach/achan lá or tógaim cith gach/achan lá.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I am screwed.

:p:p:p Same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I am screwed.

Same here! My mock oral is on Tuesday and quite literally all I can talk about is my family and part time job :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm not having a mock oral in Irish and while relieved, I almost want one so I can practise. I can't say much either because we havn't been going over it. In French I speak it every day but havn't spoken much irish at all since starting secondary. I've been trying to do it at home and i'm really counting on the sliocht going brillantly so i can do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

got 86% in my mock oral.. two fingers up to everyone who slagged me for going to an irish primary school. My advice is just to learn enough so you can just continue talking. learning off one word answers = disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Your an idiot. Irish is not fail.

average 15 years of speaking english, reading, writing. and everyone is afraid of that too. spend 12 years learning maths, everyone else i know when I did my leaving cert was more worried about passing pass maths than honours irish. Stop moaning about irishfail and go study it..... if I can get a C, anyone can, ask bythewoods haha

How do you say:

1. Bono is a big supporter (tacaí?) of charity and human rights
    2. Ryan Tubridy presents the Late Late Show?

Go raibh míle maith agaibh.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

How do you say:

1. Bono is a big supporter (tacaí?) of charity and human rights
    2. Ryan Tubridy presents the Late Late Show?

Go raibh míle maith agaibh.

1. Is tacaí é Bono don carthanacht
    2. Cuireann Ryan Tubridy an "late late show" i láthair.

fairly certain bout 2
    not too sure with 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Well I had a mock Oral today and I was absolutely terrified before I went in,doing HL btw. However it went great! Well at least I think it did :pac: I spoke with confidence and the time flew in! When the bell went I couldn`t believe how quick the time went. Feeling better about my spoken Irish now anyway.

I`ll still need to put in lots of work I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

For someone who is probably going to be at C3 ordinary level, would they boost their marks in the oral by referring to the culture of ireland like. 'Is maith liom fin mac cool' agus 'Cuchulainn is ainm dom' agus 'Is maith liom pratai'?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

your all lucky you have a mock oral....cos you know what areas you need to work on.
    Im doing O.L and are teacher given us kinda simple stuff to learn...but would O.L be expected to know stuff for the recession and that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

LovexxLife wrote: »
    your all lucky you have a mock oral....cos you know what areas you need to work on.
    Im doing O.L and are teacher given us kinda simple stuff to learn...but would O.L be expected to know stuff for the recession and that?

Well the examiner doesnt know what level you are doing.

Recession is easy really...
    Ta alan dioma orm faoi an rialtas
    I mo cheantar ta alan daoine diphostaithe
    make something up, chaill mo mathair a phost mar.....

Advertisement