Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with pomeranian barking

Options
  • 08-03-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

We have a nine month pomeranian puppy who has been with us for five months. We keep him in the room with us as much as we can, but lately he is barking at everyone who comes into the room and anyone who moves in the room! The only person he doesn't bark at is myself and my daughter (we can move about as we wish), but if my husband or son (or anyone else) is in the room and moves off their chair, he jumps up at them barking like crazy and wont stop until they have left the room.

We have tried ignoring him, but this is not working and are wondering should we try removing him from the room everytime he does it and hope eventually he gets the message!

We would appreciate if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions as this is driving everyone mad!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If you have a utility room or something, then everytime he barks, I would just pick him up (without talking to him/giving him attention) and put him out there for a while. If he keeps barking then I would wait until he has stopped barking for a while to let him back in. Definitely don't shout at him, cos he'll think you're barking too and get more excited.

I'm not an expert or anything but this is what I've learnt from having dogs/watching "it's me or the dog" :D Also that exercise solves nearly every doggie issue, probably cos it tires them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

It is their nature. The little feckers are just noisy by design. I personally do not like them. My neighbour has one. They are all bark and no bite. My neighbour let him loose one day and he came at me (the dog). I lined him up for a big kick to put him into orbit. Thankfully the little chap in his enthusiasm slipped on the floor and fell on his back before he reached my prepared kick.

The neighboor put him on a lead in the meantime. Lucky for him and his dog.

They are nasty noisy little dogs in my opinion previoulsly but a little bit of bacon on my person and dropped to him alleviated his aggression. Simply dropping a little bit of small meat stopped the little twat from barking at me. maybe advise youy friends to do the same or offer it as a reward on the visits?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lainee

Thanks for replies! will try these suggestions out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

buy a water pistol.
    When he barks, he gets a squirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Ive tried the water pistol to try and stop my puppy bitting and she just open her mouth and goes around with a wet face:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try a plant misting spray. It works far better than a water pistol and they cannot do that with it.

we have had huge success with one with an abused rescue collie; all we need to do now is pick the spray bottle up and say no quietly.

If she refuses, one spray is all that is needed.
    texas star wrote: »
    Ive tried the water pistol to try and stop my puppy bitting and she just open her mouth and goes around with a wet face:rolleyes:

Advertisement