Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest installment in the race for 3rd....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Makes a big difference,

Well done to Sunderland.

Who is their GIH against?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Great results for us so far this weekend. Let's hope Pool slip up again tomorrow night to make it complete.

Fourth spot is still too early to call at this stage, other than it's a battle between 4 teams. Spurs, City, Pool and Villa.

The pundits keep saying that Spurs have the hardest run in out of the four but IMO, after looking at the other three teams remaining fixtures, I don't think that any side has strongger advantage than the other. I thinks its come down to a bit of luck and pure bottle on the part of the team that gets it.

It's gonna go to the wire and let's just hope we are in control of our own destiny come the 9th May.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭larry1

ziedth wrote: »
    Who is their GIH against?

Us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

larry1temp wrote: »
    Us :D

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The other game in hand they have is against Everton at the city of manchester stadium

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I'd think everton could have anyone on their day.

Interesting time ahead, maybe someone could stick up the 4 teams remaining fixtures and we have a look?

I'd do it but I'm on the mobile site.

Thanks to jesus_thats_great on the soccer forum
    [B]        Tottenham        Man City        Liverpool        Aston Villa        Everton[/B]

[S]Sat 13/03 PL    Blackburn (h)                                Stoke (a)        Birmingham (a)
    Sun 14/04 PL                Sunderland (a)
    [/S]
    Mon 15/03 PL                            Portsmouth (h) 
    Tue 16/03 PL                                        Wigan (a)
    Sat 20/03 PL    Stoke (a)                                Wolves (h)        Bolton (h) 
    Sun 21/03 PL                Fulham (a)        Man Utd (a)    

Wed 24/04 PL                Everton (h)                    Sunderland (h)        Man City (a) 
    Sat 27/03 PL    Portsmouth (h)                                Chelsea (a)        Wolves (a)
    Sun 28/03 PL                            Sunderland (h)    

Mon 29/03 PL                Wigan (h) 
    Sat 03/04 PL    Sunderland (a)        Burnley (a)         Birmingham (a)        Bolton (a)     
    Sun 04/04 PL                                                    West Ham (h)

Sat 10/04 PL    Arsenal (h)                                Everton (h)        Aston Villa (a)
    Sun 11/04 PL                Birmingham (h)         Fulham (h)

Sat 17/04 PL    Chelsea (h)        Man Utd (h)                                 Blackburn (a) 
    Sun 18/04 PL                                        Portsmouth (a)

TBC       PL    Man City (a)        Tottenham (h)                    Hull (a)

Mon 19/04 PL                            West Ham (h)    
    Sat 24/04 PL                Arsenal (a)         Burnley (a)                    Fulham (h)     
    Sun 25/04 PL    Man Utd (a)                                Birmingham (h)

Sun 01/05 PL    Bolton (h)        Aston Villa (h)        Chelsea (h)         Man City (a)        Stoke (a)

Sun 09/05 PL    Burnley (a)        West Ham (a)         Hull (a)        Blackburn (h)         Pompey (h) 

Thanks to jesus_thats_great on the soccer forum
    [B]        Tottenham        Man City        Liverpool        Aston Villa        Everton[/B]

[S]Sat 13/03 PL    Blackburn (h)                                Stoke (a)        Birmingham (a)
    Sun 14/04 PL                Sunderland (a)
    [/S]
    Mon 15/03 PL                            Portsmouth (h) 
    Tue 16/03 PL                                        Wigan (a)
    Sat 20/03 PL    Stoke (a)                                Wolves (h)        Bolton (h) 
    Sun 21/03 PL                Fulham (a)        Man Utd (a)    

Wed 24/04 PL                Everton (h)                    Sunderland (h)        Man City (a) 
    Sat 27/03 PL    Portsmouth (h)                                Chelsea (a)        Wolves (a)
    Sun 28/03 PL                            Sunderland (h)    

Mon 29/03 PL                Wigan (h) 
    Sat 03/04 PL    Sunderland (a)        Burnley (a)         Birmingham (a)        Bolton (a)     
    Sun 04/04 PL                                                    West Ham (h)

Sat 10/04 PL    Arsenal (h)                                Everton (h)        Aston Villa (a)
    Sun 11/04 PL                Birmingham (h)         Fulham (h)

Sat 17/04 PL    Chelsea (a)        Man Utd (h)                                 Blackburn (a) 
    Sun 18/04 PL                                        Portsmouth (a)

TBC       PL    Man City (a)        Tottenham (h)                    Hull (a)

Mon 19/04 PL                            West Ham (h)    
    Sat 24/04 PL                Arsenal (a)         Burnley (a)                    Fulham (h)     
    Sun 25/04 PL    Man Utd (a)                                Birmingham (h)

Sun 01/05 PL    Bolton (h)        Aston Villa (h)        Chelsea (h)         Man City (a)        Stoke (a)

Sun 09/05 PL    Burnley (a)        West Ham (a)         Hull (a)        Blackburn (h)         Pompey (h) 

Spurs have 3 home games and 6 away left (how did that happen?); City 6 home and 4 away; Lpool 5 home (4 of which are very winnable); Villa have the easiest run-in.
    Trying to be as unbiased as possible, this is how I think it will finish up:

Final Table after 38 games:

Villa 66pts
    Lpool 65 pts
    Spurs 64pts
    City 62pts

(That's giving Spurs 5 away draws - Stoke, Sunderland, Chelsea, City and Burnley - and a loss at Old Trafford. At home, 2 wins - Bolton and Portsmouth - and a draw - ar5ena1).

An away win or two instead of the draw would put us into 4th.

chelsea's at home sorry forgot to correct that

chelsea's at home sorry forgot to correct that

Does that put us closer to 4th?;)

• Advertisement

ruiseal wrote: »
    Does that put us closer to 4th?;)
    if we beat them 1 0 again it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

no point in making these predictions people. we can beat anyone on our day even arsenal and chelsea especially having them at home. we could also get killed in all of them. its impossible to predict with any near certainty how the top 7 will finish. great battle for first to third and an even better one for fourth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

4-1win for Liverpool tonight,I really think that Portsmouth don't give a **** about the League now cos they know they are going to be relegated,They are putting all there efforts into the FA cup that's for sure and if we get past Fullham we're going to have it tough against them because they are really going to be up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I know there's hardly any point, but based on the remaining fixtures this is how I see it panning out;

Man City : 50 + 18 = 71
    Liverpool : 51 + 18 = 69
    Villa : 46 + 17 = 66
    Spurs : 52 + 13 = 65
    Everton : 42 + 21 = 63

Naturally enough anything could happen, but we have the toughest run-in and I just feel the way the games have panned out that City will be battling Liverpool until the last day and we'll be out of the running by the end of April :(

I'm afraid I have to agree,

Of course anyone really could hit the right fourm and get 4th but I think we will be out of it with3 or 4 games to go.

Still hell of a season IMO if we finished 6th and hopefully the FA cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Bad result for us, Villa nicking the 3 points away to Wigan. They've two home games coming up, Hull and Sunderland or something like that, so they'll be thinking 6 points from those. Big, big match this weekend for us, where most of the other challengers have dropped points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

To have any chance we have to win the next 3 and take at least 4 points out of the Chelsea/United/Arsenal games. Probably too much to ask but stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

I just noticed on the offical Spurs site that the Man City game is now re scheduled for Wed May 5th 8:00 k/o. That would be our second last game of the season. 4th place playoff perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I just noticed on the offical Spurs site that the Man City game is now re scheduled for Wed May 5th 8:00 k/o. That would be our second last game of the season. 4th place playoff perhaps?

Id be well happy if we are going in to that game still with a chance of getting 4th.

Villa are 2-1 down to wolves.

Could be good day for us

• Advertisement

Villa are 2-1 down to wolves.

Could be good day for us
    villa will win villa will win

there unjinxed now:)

ended 2-2 wolves where very good

I'll take 2-2!

Nice to see a gap with us

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Was bored during the rugby/Goons game so I've run up a spreadsheet looking at our competitors for 4th place and how we've all performed in the league. Some interesting stuff shows up:

Against each other:

Spurs 8pts/5 games
    Liverpool 8pts/6 games
    Man City 3pts/4 games
    Aston Villa 6pts/5 games

Against top 3:

Man City 9pts/4 games
    Aston Villa 8pts/5 games
    Liverpool 3pts/4 games
    Spurs 0pts/3 games :(

In games we "should" have won*:

Liverpool 13pts/5 games
    Aston Villa 12pts/6 games
    Man City 11pts/6 games
    Spurs 3pts/6 games

*Hull, Stoke and Wolves at WHL, Birmingham, Everton and Wolves away.

The last category is a bit arbitrary, but I'd say we all agree they are games we feel we could have done much better in. What is interesting is that taking all that into account, here are the points totals:

Aston Villa 26pts/16 games
    Liverpool 24pts/15 games
    Man City 23pts/14 games
    Spurs 11pts/14 games

Yet we are 4 clear of Liverpool and 5 clear of both City and Villa (albeit with some games in hand for the latter two) People are making out that we have the tougher run-in on paper, but all four sides are dropping points to different teams, and nobody should assume anything about the remaining fixtures for all four sides.

We could definitely do with a win for United tomorrow, and for Arsenal or United taking points off City before we meet them at Eastlands. If we do as well as we can in the coming weeks that game could be a real 6 pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Anyone used the BBC website's predictor? You enter the results of the remaining games and it produces the final league table. Just ran through it and i have us finishing 6th behind Villa and Man City, unfortunately. That assumed, however, that we'd loose the games against Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea and draw against City. If we won one of those, we'd be 4th ...

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Villia and city will have the same amount of games played as us by Saturday.
    Villia play at home to Sunderland on Wednesday.
    City play Fulham away on Sunday and then play home against Everton on Wednesday.

I can see both Villa and City dropping points again so Wednesday night should be good. Alot of channel hopping and web surfing to look forward to.

I can see fulham even beating city and I would also fancy Sunderland with bent banging them in lately.

Big big 6 days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lads, Sunderland's last 4 games:

W2 D2 [all at home]

Their away record for the season:

P14 W1 D3 L10

The one win was on the opening day of the season.

Don't kid yourselves, recent form for Sunderland is all based on them playing at the Stadium of Light, Villa will beat them on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

2-0 to City already abd I can't see Fulham coming back into it. At least Liverpoo lost. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

I can see fulham even beating city and I would also fancy Sunderland with bent banging them in lately.

Big big 6 days ahead.

Injured yesterday, I think.

Advertisement