Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest installment in the race for 3rd....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Wigan were going well until the sending off,pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

ruiseal wrote: »

Predicted Final Table after 38 games (with 10/11 games to play):

Villa 66pts
    Lpool 65 pts
    Spurs 64pts
    City 62pts

(That's giving Spurs 5 away draws - Stoke, Sunderland, Chelsea, City and Burnley - and a loss at Old Trafford. At home, 2 wins - Bolton and Portsmouth - and a draw - ar5ena1).

An away win or two instead of the draw would put us into 4th.

Predicted finish, with 31 games played, now reads:

Spurs 66pts (Away win @ Stoke ;))
    City 64pts (Away win @ Fulham)
    Villa 64pts (Home draws with Sunderland and Wolves)
    Lpool 64 pts (Loss to Manyoo)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think this Sunderland game is actually massive,

You can pretty much give UTD the win now so a win from the other two and beat/draw city I'm hoping will give us enough to have our fate in out own hands last day.

Sunderland (A), Burnley (A) and Bolton (H) are huge games. Depending on how those go, even just three or four points from Chels (H), Arsel (H), Citeh (A) and Manyoo (A) might be enough for 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

While I'd never wish injury on anyone but Fabergas gallas and arshavin look to be out for our game with them and Rooney is likely to be out for our match too. Which can only help us I would think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

While I'd never wish injury on anyone but Fabergas gallas and arshavin look to be out for our game with them and Rooney is likely to be out for our match too. Which can only help us I would think
    Yep that's good news. And the Arse will be out of Europe and the title race by that stage. :D Hopefully they'll be demoralised..

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

If there's one team I'd like to beat on our way to hopefully claiming 4th, it's Arsenal. Breaking that spell they have over us and getting 3 points at home against them would be massive.

Fair play to Birmingham for getting a draw off Pool today,I thought they might do it ok..every little helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

tippspur wrote: »
    Fair play to Birmingham for getting a draw off Pool today,I thought they might do it ok..every little helps..

deep down i was hoping for a home win with there briallnt home record but a draw is still a great result. think tht leaves us 3pts ahead and 1game n hand. that right anyone?

anyway its up to us to ups the top 4 teams now(that hurts saying that cos we have occupied that 4th spot for much of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

• Advertisement

I still think we can do it it's just we need the 4 points this month now.

Gonna be very hard but it's nice to still be in the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

My head is wrecked on this one.

I have us getting 7 more points (Loosing to Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal, beating Bolton, Burnley and drawing with City).

Man City getting 8 more (beating Birmingham and West Ham, drawing with Spurs, Villa, loosing to Man U and Arsenal).

Liverpool getting 10 more points (Beating West Ham, Burnley, Hull, drawing with Fulham and loosing to Chelsea).

Aston Villa getting 14 points (beating Portsmouth, Hull, Birmingham and Blackburn, drawing with Everton and Man City).

With all of that:

4th Villa 68 points
    5th Man City 67 points
    6th Spurs 65 points
    7th Liverpool 64 points

But if we manage to beat one of the big 3, or Man City on May 4th, we could grab 4th ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

richardjjd wrote: »
    My head is wrecked on this one.

I have us getting 7 more points (Loosing to Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal, beating Bolton, Burnley and drawing with City).

Man City getting 8 more (beating Birmingham and West Ham, drawing with Spurs, Villa, loosing to Man U and Arsenal).

Liverpool getting 10 more points (Beating West Ham, Burnley, Hull, drawing with Fulham and loosing to Chelsea).

Aston Villa getting 14 points (beating Portsmouth, Hull, Birmingham and Blackburn, drawing with Everton and Man City).

With all of that:

4th Villa 68 points
    5th Man City 67 points
    6th Spurs 65 points
    7th Liverpool 64 points

But if we manage to beat one of the big 3, or Man City on May 5th, we could grab 4th ...

i would say we will get 10 points. we will beat arsenal or chelsea hopefully. that would give us 10 points then. so it could all go down to goal difference with city

mickman wrote: »
    i would say we will get 10 points. we will beat arsenal or chelsea hopefully. that would give us 10 points then. so it could all go down to goal difference with city

We might be going with an Ardiles inspired 2-2-6 formation against Burnley on the last day ...

I can't see villa getting 14 points to be honest. I think we have to take city and get at least a draw this month to have any hope, I can actually see it going down to goal difference too.

I think that the Wigan game and gomes's heroics of late could make all the difference.

I would have thought the same about Villa, but their league record since Christmas is interesting - W5, D7, L1. Perhaps 14 points is an overestimate, but I think they'll be there or thereabouts in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

I did the Predictor on the BBC website and I have Villa finishing 4th myself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/predictor/default.stm

I still think it will go something like this. We're a point down and need to win against Arsenal now. Villa ahead of themselves, City & Pool both doing as expected. We were the only team not to get something out of the weekend.

Spurs Villa City Pool
    55 51 53 51
    Portsmouth 3 Chelsea 0 Wigan 3 Sunderland 3
    Sunderland 0 Bolton 3 Burnley 3 Birmingham 1
    Arsenal 0 Everton 0 Birmingham 3 Fulham 3
    Chelsea 1 Birmingham 1 Man U 1 West Ham 3
    Man U 0 Portsmouth 3 Arsenal 0 Burnley 3
    Bolton 3 Hull 3 Villa 1 Chelsea 0
    City 1 Man C 1 Spurs 1 Hull 3
    Burnley 3 Blackburn 3 West Ham 3
    11 14 15 16
    66 65 68 67

City still favourites, with Pool in 5th and us in 6th. A win against Arsenal or Chelsea would change all of that though.

I tell ya one thing,

City do NOT have an easy run. I could see them dropping points in any of their last six games hopefully all of them :)

I still think villa will bottle it I can see birmingham,city,Blackburn and everton all taking points off the or at least hopefully 3 out of 4.

My heart will break if Liverpool still get 4th after their season. I can actually see them wining the their last 5 but hopefully not. I'm hoping Birmingham put some doubts in their heads.

As for us, I think spursi has us about right. Of course anything can happen and news of Lennon coming back makes my soul smile.

ziedth wrote: »
    I tell ya one thing,

City do NOT have an easy run. I could see them dropping points in any of their last six games hopefully all of them :)

I still think villa will bottle it I can see birmingham,city,Blackburn and everton all taking points off the or at least hopefully 3 out of 4.

My heart will break if Liverpool still get 4th after their season. I can actually see them wining the their last 5 but hopefully not. I'm hoping Birmingham put some doubts in their heads.

As for us, I think spursi has us about right. Of course anything can happen and news of Lennon coming back makes my soul smile.

What's the story with Lennon? When's he due back?

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    What's the story with Lennon? When's he due back?
    Back in full training this week. Will be ready for the weekend; whether or not he'll be used, that's another story.

ruiseal wrote: »
    Back in full training this week. Will be ready for the weekend; whether or not he'll be used, that's another story.

Hopefully he'll be available for the Arseanal game next week so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Going to Arsenal game myself a massive game alright lets hope no further injuries after Pompey clash..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

ziedth wrote: »
    I tell ya one thing,

i also would be devastated if the pool got it, id prefer to see city or villa get it then them. city have the hardest run in, arsenal away, villa, pool etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Think we'll win next wed night especially with the players they have out and hopefully were getting a few back from injury

Hopefully the Notts County lad is playing:D

Liverpools chances of getting 4th are looking slimmer after there 0-0 draw with Fullham today,City def in the driving seat now after winning 5-1 but they have a tough few games coming up like we have.could still go down to the game between City and us all going well.

I would prefer to see city get it anyday over Liverpool.

It's looking bad at th moment. I hoped birmingham might get something today!

It's really gonna be over or within our reach this time 2 weeks IMHO.

There's a good chance it could be over by the weekend. If we lose to Arsenal and Chelsea, and City beat Utd (which I expect them to do as Utd are crap at the moment and City are flying), it's over. We absolutely have to beat either Arsenal or Chelsea - anything less and I think we'll be out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

SuprSi wrote: »
    There's a good chance it could be over by the weekend. If we lose to Arsenal and Chelsea, and City beat Utd (which I expect them to do as Utd are crap at the moment and City are flying), it's over. We absolutely have to beat either Arsenal or Chelsea - anything less and I think we'll be out of it.

City are flying at the moment but they have been a streaky team this season, if United can beat them then I can see them losing at Arsenal and dropping points in the Villa game. We need a minimum of 4 points in the next 3 games, 6 points would be very welcome! Its unfortunate that City now have a better goal difference than us after their last 2 wins. I'll take been 2 points behind City heading into the game between us, but if they do the business over the next couple of games and we don't then they deserve it.. we've been poor against the top 3 so far this season, they've been excellent and that could be the difference in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Usually the top four are out of sight at this stage of the season barring 1 or 2 seasons so i really think if we dont nick it this year we really ought to creating a top 5 secenario where there is where constanty hit fifth place and slug out the fight for champs league till the end every year and put daylight between ourselves and the teams below fifth. We need to create a big five and move on from there. But we are spurs and are destined to fail. Portsmouth will well and truely be put to bed if we can show some passion spirit desire and real genuine heart in the next couple of games. I wanna see guys playing for the badge and play for all us supporters

Advertisement