Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I run my own web server from home?

• 08-03-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

can I run my own web server from home?

if it's possible, what equipment would I need?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Of course you can. You need a computer, and web server software (Apache is the most widely used). Possibly you might need to forward port 80 on your router to the machine running the webserver.

Also, check that its not against your ISP T&Cs. (If its just a small server you'll be ok.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

CiaranC wrote: »
    Of course you can. You need a computer, and web server software (Apache is the most widely used). Possibly you might need to forward port 80 on your router to the machine running the webserver.

Also, check that its not against your ISP T&Cs. (If its just a small server you'll be ok.)

I'd second that plus

You can use Microsoft's IIS on XP PRO and use a Dynamic DNS service to keep track of your IP your router may support this if not most have a software client you can install. If you’re asking this question you may not of thought about security you'll need to keep everything up to date probably not enough on its own I’m sure someone here can suggest a free online alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Running a web server from home is fine if your just using it to learn, however for anything worthwhile you should just outsource it a hosting company saves you lots of hassle in the longrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Couldnt agree more,its not for the faint hearted but a great way to learn if you have the time/patience,I use blacknight myself and couldnt imagine sorting some of the problems/queries I have had by myself!.
    Im using a DS410J and it comes with software for webserving.Only cost me €320 empty though so it might be a good starting point if your budget allows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

Hosting is so cheap now that it is not really worth setting up yourself. You also get the benefit of backups and scalability from hosting companies now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement