Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parenting bargains

Options
  • 08-03-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Please note this thread is for parents to alert parents to bargains on websites and in shops.
    It is not for personal ads or for pimping sites or shops by those working there or owning them.

Had to kick this one off, we can alter it if necessary later..... We were up in Ikea and they're selling a red version of their kritters bed for 29 euro (usually 65, which itself is a bargain). I think the mattress is another 30 odd. We have one that we got about 6 months ago and it's a perfect post-cot bed. Assembled it in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Is it sold in flat pack and does it fit into a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It is and it does. I mean "fit" is relative. We got it home in the car but it was sticking out the boot like. Our seats in the back don't fold down though (unusually).

I might have been a bit hasty starting this thread (I was just excited about my first parenting bargain :D) so it may disappear and reappear with guidelines and such things in a while.

edit: Just for clarity: It's only the red one that's on sale. The other colours are still 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Tesco are currently selling Brittax booster seats at half price (€130 reduced to €65). At least in Dundalk in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

From Bargain alerts. I ordered this as great value
    10 Picture Book's Pack (suited to under 5's) - £8.89 incl. delivery

A fantastic selection of ten full colour picture books for the under fives at a bargain price. They cover a wide range of topics and situations that will delight both parents and toddlers.

This great value pack contains -

Why I Love My Mummy - for mummies everywhere in children's very own words.

What's the Time Little Wolf - in a nice, smelly lair far away live the Wolf family and one day Mum and Dad send Little Wolf and Smellybreff out to catch a big, fat piggy for dinner.

Zigby Camps Out and Zigby Dives In follow the adventures of little zebra Digby.

Wilfred to the Rescue is a new story from Brambly Hedge based on the world created by Jill Barklem.

In Why I Love My Daddy children explain why their daddy is just perfect.

Tom and Small features Tom who is going to big school tomorrow for the very first time.

Lettice stars the little rabbit with big dreams having a lovely time at a birthday picnic.

I'm Sorry, by the bestselling author of Guess How Much I Love You teaches the importance of kindness.

Boo is a fun picture book featuring monster characters.

Perfect for reading together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Might be worth combining this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64350557 into this one.

Also for the freecycle groups and bargains relative to parents:
    Here is a link to a Cork City group that I am a member of and it is pretty active.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecyclecork/

For example: I copied and pasted the below offers from the first page alone! (Some are taken). But it is a good example of what offers are available from time to time, current and past.

1. Taken: Toddler Toys - Glanmire
    2. Offer: Wooden Baby Changing unit
    3. Offer: Wooden Baby Cot.
    4. TAKEN: Toddler Girl Clothing - Glanmire
    5. OFFER: Childrens Bikes x3
    6. 2 12inch Dora Bikes, one with stabilizers one without, both left out in the rain but still usable also a girls 10 inch barbie bike with stabilizers also left...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Looking for a nice Junior bed for a girl anyone seen any offers on any?? Dora, Princess or Peppa Pig would be ideal she doesnt like any other characters. Very perticular child :rolleyes:

Looking for a nice Junior bed for a girl anyone seen any offers on any?? Dora, Princess or Peppa Pig would be ideal she doesnt like any other characters. Very perticular child :rolleyes:
    You could buy some stickers as cheaper alternative and put them all over the bed. Or even better let your child put them up on the bed?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

bargainstore.ie have a lovely toddler bed and tesco have lovely junior duvet set.
    Duvet,pillow,duvet cover,pillowcase for 25 euro. They definately have peppa and a princess one.I forget the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 goldfish6483

dont know if they available anymore, but there is a shop in enniskillen called b and m bargains, its were the wool worths used to be they were doing peppa pig toddler begs for 50 quid. also have a look on hotukdeals.com i know its not suitable for all things but alot of the stuff that posted there you can get in the north, and you can search for excalty what u looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 goldfish6483

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-4906.aspx
    can be delivered to any store in the north. great deal.
    disney princess beg 75 quid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Thanks everyone for the bargains will definitely check them all out. Trying not to buy up north if possible help the ecomomy and all that.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dunno if they're are any left, but Smyths in Blanchardstown retail park were recently selling Phil and Teds double-buggys for half-price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Tesco are currently selling Brittax booster seats at half price (€130 reduced to €65). At least in Dundalk in any case.

Is this really a bargain? Halfords has several Britax boosters for less than €25

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_categoryId_212393_langId_-1

http://www.sendit.com/books/boys-activity-pack-x-10-books/10081243.html
    Description

Keep the kids happy with this brilliant range of 10 sticker and activity books perfect for keeping little ones busy at home or on holiday - they also make ideal party bag gifts. Hours of fun guaranteed as each one is full of puzzles, games, stickers and press-outs models to make.

Contains

Monsters Sticker and Activity

In the Jungle Sticker and Activity

Ghosts Sticker and Activity

Aliens Sticker and Activity

In the Arctic Sticker and Activity

Vampires Sticker and Activity

Dinosaurs Sticker and Activity

Under the Sea Sticker and Activity

Dragons Sticker and Activity

Knights Sticker and Activity

For children of 36 months and older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 allrounder26

If you wish to sell something place it on boards.ie's sister site adverts.ie
    and put a link to it in your signature.

Sounds more like an advert than a bargain to be honest. I imagine that parenting bargain alerts should be less about selling stuff for personal profit and more about actual pointers to bargains and activities for parents in general.

In this case I think that the 'bargain' should be put into an advertising part of the forum. If the parents on this forum see it and reckon it is a bargain then a pointer towards it will happen. Just a suggestion to keep things on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

A thread like this was started recently but disappeared. For pretty much anything you need to cloth your kids and more the market where I work is brilliant, Liberty Market on Meath Street in Dublin, shoes from around €5 upwards, clothes, coats, gifts, pretty much everything you need, I have a photo stall in there where I take portraits, mind I spend most of my earnings there too, brilliant bargains for everything.

A thread like this was started recently but disappeared. For pretty much anything you need to cloth your kids and more the market where I work is brilliant, Liberty Market on Meath Street in Dublin, shoes from around €5 upwards, clothes, coats, gifts, pretty much everything you need, I have a photo stall in there where I take portraits, mind I spend most of my earnings there too, brilliant bargains for everything.

Just a heads up: Adams are closing down local stores and moving towards centralised stores. Recently a store in Fermoy sold off all their stock for 1euro per item before closing!!!

So folks keep an eye on your local Adams stores and grab the possible one day 1euro clear outs!!! Might be to late at this stage but hopefully not.

Was in Dunnes henry street yesterday and they were doing jumbo boxes of huggies, sizes, 3,4,4+ and 5 at 2 for €20. Thats the cheapest I've seen yet.

Britax Eclipse SI car seat reduced to €99.99 until middle of April in Smyths. I got it in Ellen which is red and black but not shown on their website. From 9kg to 18kg. Bridget was so much happier after nearly 14 months in a rear facing seat :)

• Advertisement

Nice day out for the kids on Easter Saturday: Fota house in Cork are providing a nice day out for the kids and parents for a very cheap and cheerful day out / or in by the looks of it. V.v. reasonalbly priced as well.

Saturday April 3rd: 11 am - 4 pm
    Annual Easter Egg Trail
    €5.00 per child - Adults Free - No Bookings

Fota House Gardens and Arboretum become the venue for the trail, with clues and questions for the children. Once complete they each receive an Easter Egg. We also have Face painting, Balloons and Fota Café is open for refreshments.

The Trail will take place indoors in the event of bad weather.

The weather forecast is not good so looks like it could be an indoor thing.

Link here: http://www.fotahouse.com/display.php?primarynav=Whats_on_and_News&secondarynav=Events

Picked up a nice miniature 13 piece tea set for 5euro in Dunne's Cork. 4yr old loves it and makes real tea with it. It has a little milk holder, sugar container, cups saucers and obviously a tea pot. All porcelain and nicely made.

For that price it was a giveaway for the pleasure the little one is getting out of it.

A link to a similar thing on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DISNEY-PRINCESS-PIECE-PORCELAIN-TEA/dp/B003CE55ZQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1270151408&sr=8-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 beemaja

Got this last week, but there were still plenty left.

Heatons in Carrickmines were selling Winnie the Pooh, Cars and Dora Facecloths, reduced from 2.50 each to 50 cents, they are great for on the road and easier for my 3 year old to clean his hands with than big towels - and they wash very well.

Thought it was a bit of a bargain to report.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Mothercare have a great sale on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

supervalu have box of 6 packets of johnsons babywipes for €8 huggies nappies are on special and vaseline..
    nothing to do with babies but i also got a lovely dinner set there for €8 too..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_13245.htm

I posted this over in the nature and birdwatching forum too. It's not child specific but at 8.99 they're not half bad and could be great for activities or projects (or just general nosiness :D) over the summer for older children. I bought 2 pairs.
    They were in yesterdays special buys so there are no assurances there will still be any left today!

Advertisement