Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy Tests / New to this

Options
  • 08-03-2010 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi,

How reliable are pregnancy tests? I got one from tesco own brand today and it came up positive :) Im amost scared to believe it can be true? Am booking a Dr apointment tomor so I guess Il know for sure then. In the mean time, if I am pregnant how the heck am I going to keep this massive news to myself? My oh has made me promise not to say a word until the 3 month mark, dont know how I will cope! Also as I will be off the smokes and booze from now on how do I stop my friends and family from guessing? Im a useless liar!

Sorr for the rambling here am in shock!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you got a kinda purpleish line in each window then your pregnant, no doubt!

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Tesco own brand ones are as good as any!

Congratulations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Its extremely rare to get a false positive - a false negative maybe but if your test is positive I would be getting excited if I was you.

My doctor didn't even do a test when I went to her - she said the at home ones are just as reliable as the ones they do.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

congratulations!! the positive is usually fairly positive!! ;)
    I suppose you could tell friends relations you gave them up for lent??
    and then just extend it a bit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

+1 with the lent story

You can tell your family and friends if they ask that you gave up the smokes/booze for lent. After lent is over you can say that you dont miss the smokes/booze now... you've decided to try and keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gangie

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I really am pregnant so!! :D Its not an ideal time but is there ever one? Not in a great place financially but both me and my oh are excited and this little baby will be loved so much!! God its scary though!

About the lent thing, no one that knows me would believe that!! Im not a very religious person! I think I can manage to just stay away from social situations, have already cancelled a few things and have told some friends that Im off the fags as of today (always said id give up before I was 30 and its in June) so they will buy that! Im so excited though its hard not to tell!! Have Dr. appointment in the morning so will go from there. Does anyone know when you are entitled to have your first scan? OH has made me promise not to say anything until then but I have read it might not be until 18 - 22 weeks??? Will never keep Mum (Lol) unti lthen!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Annie Bananie

Congratulations! :)
    As you say I dont think there ever is an ideal time for having a baby, but if you want it and love it, both you and the baby will do more then fine! :)

As the others say, I am sure you are pregnant if the test shows you are :)

I live in England, so it might be different, but here we get a scan at 12 weeks and 20 weeks. Me and my OH told our parents when we found out and told the rest of our friends after the first scan (3 months). I understand why your OH don't want to tell anyone so soon with all the risks for miscarriage etc. But it can also be good to tell for example your parents, because if you will be so unfortunate to have a miscarriage they can be a good support. Also your Mum's have experience and it feels real good to have someone to ask all the thousands of questions you have :)

Good luck and enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 gangie

Had my Dr appointment today! Definetly preggers! Got folic acid, she took bloods and gave me a referral letter for the maternity hospital! Iv my first scan in 6 weeks! Its so amazing I still cant believe it :D

Went into the chemist to get the folic and there was cots and buggies and growbags, me and Oh looked at all the things and couldnt stop smiling!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Congratulations Gangie! Welcome to the club!

Here's how myself and hubby handled the "why isn't she drinking?" dilemma. ~(As for the smokes, you are gonna be a mammy now.... give some thought to knocking them on the head for good, when you look your baby in the eye, you will want to do everything you can to make sure you are around as long as is possible for them!)

So, dinner parties, nights out etc I would be on the Ballygowan/Red Lemonade/Lucozade and they would often ask "oh, are you on the wagon/off the booze?" to which we had a really funny pre-choreographed farcical reaction from my husband already pre-planned whereby supposedly behind my back he would warn the person off the topic and make "she drinks too much gestures", while I would stutter and stumble and seem embarrassed. Oh how we would laugh in the car on the way home and wait days for the rumours of my terrible drink problem to circulate! Then they all feel really thick when you do eventually tell them that no you are just up the duff! Although my brother does ask me if I am still going to AA....:p

Advertisement