Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best years of my life, well kinda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice going Digijem! You'll be in flying form for Con :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

16th Feb: 28k @ 22.78 km/hour

Headed out for a cycle straight after work. Blustery out but still a nice cycle, ran out of daylight and my lights aren’t great at picking out the potholes in the dark roads, so headed back into town for the last 5k which slowed me down.

Haven’t run since Saturday, took a couple of non-running days as I have a sharpish pain in my right heel/achilles. Did a test run at lunchtime and its not much better, I’m seeing the physio tomorrow so we’ll see what the deal is.

Feb 17th: 30 minutes on spin bike, plus weights + physio exercises

No running for a while, went to physio yesterday. Step 1 is no running until I can manage walking & the stairs completely pain free so we'll see how long that takes. Rested it today, hope to get a couple of decent cycles over the weekend.

19th Feb: 40k @ 24.5 km/hour: a lovely cycle in the sunshine, not too breezy.
    20th Feb: 29k @ 23.7 km/hour: a hellish cycle in the blustery wind & rain.

22th Feb: 20k @ 25.3 km/hour
    An early morning spin before work, hadn’t a lot of time so only 20k. Tried to push the pace a little, mainly because I was late for work. Traffic made this difficult; I got blasted out of it by a lorry I held up for all of 5 seconds on a roundabout; I choose to accept the honk as a sign of encouragement, though I’m not sure that’s how the driver meant it :pac:

Did a test run this evening before seeing the physio, it lasted only 100 yards. Ankle just too sore, it has improved on walking around but any impact is still not possible. After a reality check with the physio, I’ve decided to defer Conn for a year and give myself plenty of time to get this sorted. It’s a bitch of a painful injury, so the priority for me is not to do anything that might turn this into a chronic problem. In the meantime I’m just going to have to focus on the bike and gym work, and see how it pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Really sorry to hear you're out for Conn. That's a real pity, your training was going so well. Good to see your keeping the fitness up with the cycling as it would be a shame to lose it. Have you a back up marathon planned instead? Cork or Kildare maybe? On a flat one like one of those two, you'd blitz 4 hours (assuming the ankle has healed of course).

menoscemo wrote: »
    Cork or Kildare maybe?

Thanks meno, yep if I can get back on the road in 2 or 3 weeks, then Kildare looks like a good option. If it takes longer than that, then I might look at the shorter stuff for a while.

Ah jebas, I'm sorry to read your update Digigem, you were really flying it with training :(. Look after yourself, and hopefully you'll be on for an early summer marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So sorry to hear about your ankle. Your training was going so well too. So disappointed for you. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry to hear it Digijem, hope you're back running soon.

• Advertisement

23rd Feb: 25k cycle @ 25.2 km/hour
    24th Feb: 21k cycle @ 24.4 km/hour
    25th Feb: Gym - 30 mins on spin bike, plus lb weights

Continuing the physio exercises, I’m going to have calves like bricks by the time this is done. Started to cycle to work so I can get straight out on the road afterwards, gives me an extra 20 minutes of daylight. Entered a 45k cycle race on March 20th, so that should help keep me motivated. Off to the UK for the weekend, so 2 rest days. Hope to get back early enough on Monday to get a longish spin done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sorry to hear about Conn DJ - you were going so well, it's so disappointing. Hopefully you'll be back on your feet nice and quick - keep up the exercises and the cycling and you'll be great shape when you're back in the game! :)

Feb 28th: 50k cycle @ 25.6 km/h
    Mar 2nd: 29k cycle @ 26.1 km/h

Did a test run yesterday before physio. Lasted only a couple of minutes, ankle pain much milder but still there so no point in continuing. Day to day stuff is now pain-free but its probably another week or two before I'm back running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

DJ just catching up on your log now. That's crap you're out of Conn, I know how frustrating it is. You're doing some great mileage on the bike which will stand to you - I know of a few 100km cycle challenges if you're interested!!!

4th Mar: Gym - 30 mins on spin bike, plus lb weights
    5th Mar: 2 miles @ 9:30 min/mile pace: a test run to see how the ankle was, no pain during run but it felt weak and stiff. Tender afterwards but a lot improved, hopefully almost there.
    6th Mar: 30k cycle @ 24.9 km/hour – a miserable cycle, cold & blustery with a puncture at 17k to top it off.

7th Mar: Gym - 30 mins cardio, plus lb weights
    8th Mar: 3 miles @ 8:43 min/mile pace: A great lunchtime run, ankle & achilles felt good, brilliant to be out running again. :D

Last physio session tonight, left with a plan to gradually increase mileage over the next few weeks, with plenty of rest days. Also need to build strength in my calf muscles to so have to keep up the exercises.

Delighted your run went well DigiJem! Must be a great relief to be pain free again :)

Not a great cycling or gym week, blustery weather and just being a lazy sod really.

10th Mar: 4 miles @ 9:19 min/mile pace.

12th Mar: Did the Chi running workshop in Castleknock, an interesting day. I never thought I was a heel striker but it was clear from the video that I am. Hard to remember everything when you’re running but my initial focus is to try shorten my stride, and land on my midfoot.

13th Mar: 6 miles @ 9:09 min/mile pace. Wasted most of today trying to get my new clipless pedals onto my bike with no joy; the original pedals are stuck solidly in place, so it was late when I got out for a run. Kept up a nice pace, trying to practice what I learnt yesterday. A good run, felt a little strain on my right lower calf for the last half mile so eased off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great you're back into the swing of things again and more importantly pain free.

Heel pain reappeared after last 6 mile run. Its now on the opposiste site of the heel bone than previously, really fed up with this now. Still stuck on the bike

Mar 15th: 21k @ 21 km/h

Mar 16th: 20k @ 26.6 km/h plus a new pb for roadside puncture repair :)

Mar 17th: 15k @ 26.8 km/h, a short spin followed by a 2 mile run @ 9:16 min/mile pace. Not too bad, achilles feels perfect, still a little pain in the heel.

• Advertisement

20th Mar: 50k cycle, blustery first half meant avg speed of 23.8 km/h. Turned for home and lost the wind, did 28.0 km/h

21st Mar: New pedals finally fitted, spent about half an hour along the bypass practicing clipping in and out. A nice wide hard shoulder in case I fell over but no mishaps.

23rd Mar: 30k cycle, forgot watch so no idea of speed. Still a bit nervy clipping in but it’s getting easier. Felt good to be out this evening, passed loads of happy runners

25th Mar: 22k cycle @ avg speed of 27.31 km/h. Only time for a short spin at lunchtime, still enjoyed it, speed getting a little better

27th Mar: 1 mile @ 8:08 min/mile pace. Finally a run but just a test of the heel, everything felt good so I’ll see how it is tomorrow.

50k cycle (avg speed of 27.61 km/h). Same route as last Sunday. Didn’t pace my jelly bean consumption very well, scoffed most of them in the first 25k, and left only 2 for the journey home. :( That and a headwind left the second half tough but the evening sun appeared for the last 15k which was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

wow you are getting some mileage in on the bike - fair juice. Hope tomorrow's run goes well.

I did a 1 mile run on the 30th and could still feel a slight strain on my heel. No running until next Friday, hopefully one further week of rest will work. Pretty head-wrecked with it at this stage.

29th Mar: 30k cycle (avg speed of 27.7 km/h).

3rd April: 30k cycle (avg speed of 26.3 km/h). Plan was to do 50k but the wind knocked the stuffing out of me for the first 15k, I had enough and headed for home. I've been pretty lazy this week, need to shake myself a bit and get out on the bike more next week.

4th April: 10k cycle (avg speed of 20 km/h). Couldn’t face the wind on the road bike so pulled the rusty mountain bike into action for a short 30 minute spin. Nice enough, down by the canal path, last time I was here there was snow; can’t wait to run down here again.

5th April: 10k cycle (avg speed of 19.7 km/h). Same as yesterday, less windy out and went the opposite direction along the canal. Really bumpy, lots of potholes to avoid but a fun half-hour spin.

6th April: 30k cycle (avg speed of 26.2 km/h). Entered a duathlon today for May 1st so decided it was time to get back on the road bike. Usual out & back route, sun was shining which helped.

7th April: 2 miles @ 9:04 avg pace
    9th April: 3 miles @ 9:43 avg pace
    Both runs went ok, no probs with the achilles or heel. I’ve had a couple of false dawns with this injury but I’m hoping I can slowly build up the mileage now, and get a few 5ks & 10k races done over the next month or so.

10th April: 50k cycle (avg speed of 25.6 km/h): Brilliant day for a long cycle, had a great time although I waned in the last 10k.

Glad to hear the achilles is well on the mend digijem :)

That's savage cycling you are getting in :eek:

RubyK wrote: »
    Glad to hear the achilles is well on the mend digijem :)

That's savage cycling you are getting in :eek:

Thanks, although I'll be happy to spend less time on the bike once I can get the running milage going again.

11th April: 4 miles @ 8:58 avg pace. Started as a lunchtime run in the sun, but got soaked in a heavy shower at mile 3. Still a nice run if a little faster than planned. Headed to Maynooth after work to get measured for orthotics, I wouldn’t have them for a few weeks but hopefully they’ll help resolve some of my injury probs. Apparently I just have “normal bad biomechanics” so I’m fixable. Back home to scoff a quick dinner and then did my first ever Pilates class, which was surprisingly enjoyable. Busy day.

11th April: 3 miles @ 8:46 avg pace. A short run today, had planned to do 5 but 3 was all I could fit in; travelling later and have bags to pack. I’m not usually a morning runner so it was nice for a change.

14th April: Over in Lanz so hired a mountain bike for the week and headed off for a gentle spin. About 10 miles, not sure didn't bring the watch

15th April: 5 miles @ 9:30 min/mile pace. A lovely run by the beach and out past the airport runway, hot but a nice breeze on the way back helped

16th April: Cycled into the capital, along a costal cycle path for most of it. Just under 12 miles

17th April: 6 miles @ 9:28 min/mile pace. Got up early for this one as today is forecasted to be very hot. Felt tougher than it should have for the pace, both calves pretty tight afterwards.

• Advertisement

19th April: Last run on hols, plan was for 6 x 400m @ 5k pace (7:44 min/mile). Did the 6, pace for each was 7:23, 7:22, 7:28, 7:21, 7:16 & 7:10. Pace was a bit too fast but, I did have a generous 2 min recovery time between each interval. A good session, I was nicely wrecked at the end. 3.60 miles in total with the warm-up & cool-down

21st April: Stayed over in Dublin as flight was late in. Meant I could run in the park which I haven’t done in ages. 7 miles @ 9:24 min/mile pace; calves a little tight again afterwards but nothing too bad.

22nd April: About 20 mins cardio to warm-up, then a half hour session of stretching and core work. Plus got reacquainted with the foam roller after the hols.

Advertisement