Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best years of my life, well kinda

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

RubyK wrote: »
    You look to be back on track DigiJem, delighted for you. What's the plan racewise for the rest of the year?

:)

Thanks, so far so good. I’ve entered the Eniniscorthy HM, and the DCM race series. Hope to add a few 10ks along the way. I see from your log the hamstring is still giving you bother, hope the extra week off sorts it out, damn injuries :mad:

26th May: 3 miles @ 9:25min/mile. Usual Thursday lunchtime run by the canal

28th May: At my nieces communion in Dublin so after a several hours of stuffing myself, i headed down to the park for a run before heading home. Forgot the garmin, so the planned 5 mile pace run was never on. Just did the 5 miles at a pace that felt hard enough, went the route of this years 5-miler. Finishing coming up the khyber is going to be fun!

29th May: 10 mile LSR, did the first eight @ 9:37 min/mi pace. Tried to pick it up a little for the last 2 miles, which was tough as the wind was gusting but managed 9:21 & 8:59

31st May: 3 miles @ 9:25 min/mile - right quad a little sore after weekend run, so just a short easy run to loosen the legs.

1st June: 5 miles @ 9:29 min/mile - another easy paced run, everything felt good afterwards so all good for intervals tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

DigiJem wrote: »
    Thanks, so far so good. I’ve entered the Eniniscorthy HM, and the DCM race series. Hope to add a few 10ks along the way.

Lots to keep you going so :) Did you do Enniscorthy before? I really enjoyed it last year. Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

Thanks, I haven't done Enniscorthy yet, but reading the thread from last years race it sounds good. The fact that there will be plenty of strawberries around is an added incentive :)

2nd June

Didn’t head out until after 9, it was still quite warm, but not complaining. Very sluggish to start, maybe it was the late run but I suspect it might have been all the ice-creams I scoffed today.

.7mile warm-up @ 10:21 min/mile
    9x400s – pace for each was 8:11, 7:23, 7:54, 7:33, 7:57, 7:32, 7:47, 7:20 & 6:58
    Just under a half-mile cool-down @ 9:49 to bring it up to 4 miles

Target pace was 7:40, averaged 7:37 so good enough. Felt it was a tough session, glad of an easy run tomorrow.

4th June: 3 miles @ 9:26 min/mile pace

Was meant to do this run yesterday but got distracted by bbq instead. A really lovely run this afternoon, thought it might be too warm but there was a lovely breeze out. Nothing now until the mini-marathon on Monday, looking forward to it, weather forecast looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck on Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck on Monday. Is sub 50 still the target? Should be no bother to you.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of luck on Monday. Is sub 50 still the target? Should be no bother to you.

Thanks, I ran 49:49 at this race last year so I hope to shave a little time off that

A good atmosphere before the race, although standing around for almost an hour isn’t the best warm-up. Decided before the start to try for 49 minutes, it seemed an ideal race to have a crack at it, as the course is flat and the weather was perfect.

Lots of singing and cheerleading stuff before the off; the sun had long since disappeared and it got a bit chilly just standing around. Last song (finally!) was Molly Malone, so I took it as my cue to chuck my €3 pennys top. Off we went; usual congestion so the first quarter mile was spent trying not to trip over anyone.

I was absolutely parched after a mile, and couldn’t wait for the first water stop. Couldn't believe it, having to take water at 3k was not a good sign. Just a few slugs did the trick, didn’t have any more thirst problems.

My pace was spot on for the first half and it felt fine. I started to feel it coming up Nutley Lane, struggled with the pace from here until after the Belfield flyover. Glanced up at the RTE mast, remembered the last time I was running towards it was DCM last year and I was feeling a hell of lot worse then, that picked me up a little and I got back on pace.

Into Donnybrook and I was hurting at this stage. Didn’t enjoy the soaking from the fire brigade, and that clown that ran alongside me throwing rose petals was lucky to escape with his red nose still intact.

Kept the pace up as we came back towards town but I just couldn’t push it any further. Round the final corner at Lesson street, glanced at the watch and knew I had about 30 seconds to get over the line, sprinted as hard as I could but didn’t quite make it – 49:04 by my watch.

Very happy with the improvement on last year’s time but those 4 seconds are going to annoy me, I’ll have to make another attempt at it, but for now it’s back to HM training.

A quick drink & massage afterwards, then ran back to the car - 3.3 miles @ 10:08 min/mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

– 39:04 by my watch.

:eek: Well done you!!

littlebug wrote: »
    :eek: Well done you!!

Oops, a typo of 10 minutes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Oops, a typo of 10 minutes :)

:D:D Still.... well done you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done DigiJem, great running yesterday :)

8th June: Upper legs a little sore from Monday, so swapped planned tempo run with 3 easy miles @ 9:29 min/mile. Got chip time from wmm, 49:01

9th June: Legs felt in better nick today so tried the 45 minute tempo run. Hals plan has a very vague description of what the tempo run should be but did the following with planned pace in brackets. All went ok apart from the fastest quarter mile, ran out of puff

1 mile @ 9:42 (10:00)
    1 mile @ 9:27 (9:30)
    1 mile @ 8:53 (9:00)
    half mile @ 8:22 (8:30)
    quarter mile @ 8:15 (8:00)
    remainder of 45 minutes @ 9:45 (10:00)

4.85 miles in total

11th June, 5 mile HM pace run

Half mile warm-up @ 10:09 min/mile pace
    Mile 1 - 8:09
    Mile 2 - 8:21
    Mile 3 - 8:11
    Mile 4 - 8:17
    Mile 5 - 8:07
    Half mile cool-down @ 9:20

Target pace was 8:24, averaged 8:13 so good enough. Last mile was tough to keep the pace going, not sure how I’d manage 13 miles at this pace but we’ll see.

12th June: 11 miles @ 9:31 min/mile pace

Finally got out this evening after a family dinner today, sluggish and muggy to start but a lovely drizzle started around 5 miles and stayed for the remainder of the run. Left calf feels a bit tight afterwards, need some time with the foam roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

You're flying digi.

Your mini marathon time was amazing!!

Hope your calf is ok today

• Advertisement

14th June

5 miles @ 9:23 min/mile pace. Nice run, didn’t look at the watch too much just ran at an easyish pace. Leg's a lot better, also booked a massage for Thurs which should help.

15th June

Last interval session of the hm plan done & dusted...

.62 mile warm-up @ 9:46 min/mile

10x400s – pace for each was 7:42, 7:50, 7:45, 7:29, 7:20, 7:30, 7:29, 7:23, 7:23 & 7:11. Recovery time of 80 seconds between each one.

Just over a half-mile cool-down @ 9:26, 4.5 miles in total

16th June: 3 easy miles @ 9:23 min/mile. Half-day from work, so a nice lunchtime run with no rushing about afterwards trying to get back to the office. Sports massage this evening and despite moaning about my calves all week, it was my lower back that was the hurt the most, left side really tight...bloody ouchy

18th June - 3 miles hm pace run, target pace was 8:24. Nice run, legs felt great.

Half mile warm-up @ 9:39 min/mile
    Mile 1 - 8:23
    Mile 2 - 8:10
    Mile 3 - 8:18
    Three quarter mile cool-down @ 9:20, too fast but dark clouds were gathering overhead and I didn't fancy a soaking.

19th June - 12 mile LSR, avg pace 9:37 min/mile

Pretty decent lsr, didn’t struggle at all until miles 8 to 10; slowed down a little then and was pretty comfortable for the remainder. Parked at work and tried a new route for the first half, getting bored of the same roads for my runs.

20th June: Pilates, an unusually difficult class, instructor was in a right mood and pushed us from start to finish. Half way through she says 'Now we'll take a break and do the plank', many groans followed but no slacking was allowed. Hurt, but in a good way I guess.

21st June: 4 miles @ 9:15 min/mile pace. Sore today, abs and hips were feeling the pilates. Very late out, waited for the rain to sod off. 4 nice miles, cool out tonight with a nice breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nice LSR the other day! Your log is putting me to shame. :o

22nd June: 30 mins tempo run, did 3.5 miles as below, with planned pace in brackets
    1 mile @ 9:25 (9:30)
    1 mile @ 8:59 (9:00)
    half mile @ 8:03 (8:00)
    1 mile @ 9:24 (9:30)

23rd June:
    Last run of the hm plan was a 2 miler, so thought I’d squeeze it in at lunchtime. Lovely run along the canal, crossed over at the first lock I came to then back into town along the grass track. 2.75 miles @ 9:19 pace

Really smooth car-parking, registration, etc. Weather was overcast at the start and pretty muggy. Warmed up along the river-side, spent a lovely 10 minutes stretching while watching a heron fishing for his brekkie in the Slaney.

Off to the start line, the route seemed ok so the target was to get home under 1:50. Off we went, the start wasn't too crowded, a nice first mile running through the town. Early in the morning but plenty of support out.

The first 5 miles went fine, stuck to the target pace, up & down a fews little climbs but it felt fine. Towards the end of mile 6 there was a hill, nothing major, a gradual climb. Half way up it my legs just wouldn't go. Tried slowing down but no joy, had to stop & walk. Felt really wrecked, walked a bit, took a gel & got going again at the top of the climb but I knew I had blown the sub 1:50

Things went pretty downhill from that point onwards, miles 7 to 11 passed with easy running and a couple of short walk breaks. Some lovely scenary along this stretch, and great support even though it was fairly rural. It wasn't a tough hilly course, there was plenty of downhill bits for recovery but I just didn't have it in the legs today I guess.

Those last 3 miles on the N11 were hot as hell, mile 12 was my slowest by far. One last walk break before the water station, took 2 bottles, one down the back of my neck, drank the other. That got me going again, still slowly but I was past caring about the time at this stage, I just wanted to get to the finish line.

Not sure what happened with this run, surprised the wheels came off so early. I have done 5 miles at that pace in training so I'm not sure why I couldnt manage even 6 today. Anyway, finished @ 1:58 by my watch, over 6 minutes slower than my last HM in waterford, a bad day at the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

I wouldnt look into ur performance too much.... One of the hottest days of the year which had to take its toll... I was watching super fit footballers on the box struggling 2 cope with todays conditions so head up... It defo wont b that warm on the 1st week in November for Dub marathon :)

Advertisement