Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best years of my life, well kinda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Struggled to get Strength & Stretch done all week so tried it tonight.

Reverse crunches: 20,20,20
    Dumbbell side bends: 10,10,10,10
    Calf raises: 20,20,20
    Tricep dips: 20, 20, 20
    Bicep Curls: 10, 10 (Increased weight, couldnt do 3rd set)
    CrunchFu : 46,36,34,32,50
    SquatFu : 38,30,26,24 ...couldn't finish it.
    PushupFu...couldn't even start it, gave up, time to watch the Masters instead!

On a more positive note, went for a run after work with 2 friends who were doing day 1 of C25k..a good laugh with them, they did well, hope they keep it going!

Tomorrows plan is for 60 minutes of cross, a cycle in the sun hopefully.

Great sunny day, did a cycle for a hour on the mountain bike. Hopefully will have road bike by next weekend :D

Tomorrow is long run day, 4.5 miles

First time I gave up a Sunday lie-in to go for a run, wierd that I'm now looking forward to Sundays as "long-run day" :)

Really warm but nice run, ran 4.5 miles in 40:59

Plan for week 6 of program, changed slightly to allow for race on 18th

12th Strength & Stretch
    13th 3 mile
    14th 60 min cross training
    15th 2 mile fast
    16th 40 min cross
    17th Rest
    18th walk 1 mile, run remainder of Great Ireland run 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What is your longest run so far? You could probably run all of the GIR

• Advertisement

My longest so far is 4.5 miles. I've being building up by a half-mile each week. If I feel good next Sunday, I'll probably try to run all of it.

If not, my first planned 10k is 2 weeks afterwards in Castlebar, on May 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

DigiJem wrote: »
    Plan for week 6 of program, changed slightly to allow for race on 18th

12th Strength & Stretch
    13th 3 mile
    14th 60 min cross training
    15th 2 mile fast
    16th 40 min cross
    17th Rest
    18th walk 1 mile, run remainder of Great Ireland run 10k

Wow you're nearly there!!

Strength & Stretch this evening, about 10 minutes of stretches plus...

Dumbbell side bends: 10,10,10,10
    Calf raises: 20,20,20
    Overhead pulls: 15, 15, 15
    Bicep Curls: 10, 10,10, 10
    CrunchFu : 46,36,34,32,50
    Swissball Glute bridges: 15, 15, 15
    Swissball leg curls: 10,10,10
    Knee Pushups: 5,5,5,5

Weigh-in tomorrow, hope hard work pays off. 3 mile run tomorrow

3 mile run tonight, in 29:22. Lots of people out running and walking, must be the weather.

Missed yesterdays cycle, life stuff got in the way.

2 mile fast run this evening, away from my usual route so just ran for 15 minutes. Not sure if it was the full 2 miles but must have been close. Didn't feel great, hoping to get back into the swing of things tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Good cycle today, almost 14 miles, took 1hr 18 mins

Rest day tomorrow, then GIR on Sunday, looking forward to it.

Good luck on Sunday!

Sat 17th: Rest day
    Sun 18th: GIR 10k, took 57:29

Brill day, the first 5k flew by, struggled between 7k and 9k, but overall not too bad. Roll on Castlebar in 2 weeks :)

Under an hour! Thats fantastic! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Sat 17th: Rest day
    Sun 18th: GIR 10k, took 57:29

Brill day, the first 5k flew by, struggled between 7k and 9k, but overall not too bad. Roll on Castlebar in 2 weeks :)

good doing digijem - i think everyone suffered for those k's. Hopefully castlebar will be a little more gentle. well done

Thanks asimonov & dolliemix.

A little stiff today from the race, only managed about 20 minutes of gentle stretching this evening.

Into 2nd last week of training, plan for remainder of week is:
    20th 3 mile run
    21st 45 mins cross
    22nd 2 mile fast, plus Stretch & Strength
    23rd Rest day
    24th 65 minutes cross
    25th LSR 5.5 miles

3 mile run this evening. Nice to get back to flat midland roads :) Felt good and tried to push a bit harder, took 26:58.

Yesterday bike ride, just over 10 miles in 45 mins
    Today, a 15 minute fast run, about 2 miles. Plus a unplanned 30 minutes cycle

Skipped todays Strength & Stretch session again, maybe tomorrow! I always seem to find a reason to skip this :(

65 minutes cross, a 16 mile cycle on the new road bike. Very glad I invested in padded cycle shorts. :D Long run tomorrow.

Only managed 4.7 miles in 44 minutes. Short of the planned 5.5 miles, but felt tired and not great... no great disaster I guess.

• Advertisement

Sunday night review of the previous week, and it's is a mixed bag. Cross training going well, as were the runs apart from LSR today...S&S went completly astray though.

Anyway, moving onto last week of HH Novice 10k program, already wondering where I go after this.

Mon - Strength & Stretch
    Tues - 3 mile
    wed - 30 min cross
    Thur - 2 mile fast plus Strength
    Fri/Sat - Rest
    Sun Last day, 10k race in Castlebar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

DigiJem you're flying. Great result in the GIR. I might be in Castlebar on Sunday myself. I've been running for over a year and I bet you'll beat me :P The first half looks suspiciously uphill to me!

Anyway, moving onto last week of HH Novice 10k program, already wondering where I go after this.

Well done!

I'll be watching with interest to see what you do next....! I'm on Week 4 at the mo:D

littlebug wrote: »
    DigiJem you're flying. Great result in the GIR. I might be in Castlebar on Sunday myself. I've been running for over a year and I bet you'll beat me :P The first half looks suspiciously uphill to me!

Thanks littlebug, I'm passing through Castlebar during the week, I might have a drive around the route to see how hilly it is. Although maybe I'm better off not knowing until I hit them!

26th - did about 45 minutes of stretching, light weights and other exercises
    27th - a 3 mile run tonight, in 27:58

28th - 30 mins cross. A walk with a mate's dog instead of planned cycle. Nice for a change.
    29th - fast 2 mile, no idea of the time, rushed out for run without the watch. Felt good to stretch the legs after a long day in the car. Skipping Strenght & stretch, have to watch the Pool on telly, much more important :rolleyes:

After a couple of rest day, ran the 10k in Castlebar. This was the end race in my training following Hal Higdons 10 novice program so I was determined to give it everything. The first 5k was very tough, and that hill in the first k just leaving town nearly had me running back to the car. Anyway kept pushing and the last 5 k was not so bad, and the wind seemed to disappear.

Ran it in 51:44, which I'm very happy with. Think I could shave a bit more off that in the future on a flatter course.

So big thanks to Hal, his program got me here in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Wow Digigem what an improvement in a few weeks ! Brilliant running on a tough course. I predict great running times from you in the future MsGem! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats! Any chance of sharing some of that speed? :eek:

• Advertisement

Fantastic! Well done :)

Great time!!

Advertisement