Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best years of my life, well kinda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Thanks for the kind comments, I spent today recovering - more so from the post-race celebrations in Westport than the race itself ;) A sweet weekend.

Hope to run a 5k next weekend. My last 5k was Paddys day when I had just finished the C25k, so I'm keen to see how that goes.

After a lot of pondering about what to do next I've 2 new goals to commit to the log...
    1) Shift the rest of the excess weight, and get to WW goal by June 21nd in team for summer hols..time to lose that final stubborn stone.
    2) Continue to increase the miles gradually throughtout the summer and run the Dublin City Marathon.

Need to do a big of digging to put together a training plan for goal 2...back to halhigdon.com I guess.

For this week, plan is:
    Tues 3 m run
    Wed Cross 60 mins
    Thur 3 m run
    Fri 30 minutes Cross
    Sat Rest
    Sun 5k race

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

wow, you smashed your GIR time! and in only two weeks!! I cant imagine improving that much that quickly!!! Congrats!:)

3 Miles this evening, in 30:23. Legs still a bit sore, so took it easy. Back on the bike tomorrow.

5th - Cycle for 65 minutes, about 16miles I think
    6th - 3 mile run in 27:51, legs felt back to normal

Rest tomorrow, running 5k in Leixlip on Sat, and see if the legs are up for a cycle on Sunday

Sat 8th: Leixlip 5k, done in 24:06. Pleased with run, over 3 mins faster than my last 5k. Started off a little too fast, hadn't an ounce of energy left at the end.
    Sun 9th: A 25 mile cycle, longer than planned but took it easy.

Next weeks plan, time to try to increase the weekly milage with an extra run on Wed.

Mon 10th: Stretch/Strength
    Tues 11th: 3 m run
    Wed 12th: 3 mile pace
    Thurs 13th: 3 m run
    Fri 14th: Rest
    Sat 15th: Cross
    Sun 16th: LSR 6 miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great running in Leixlip there - fantastic time! Well done :)

Mon 10th: Stretch & Strength a good 70 minute session of core work, weights and stretching.
    Tues 11th: 3 miles in 26:45, got totally soaked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Enjoyed browsing through this log, similar goals to myself, but you're doing a lot more running (and other work) right now, I'm dead jealous!

Well done on all your progress so far, the improvement in the 10k times is very impressive. Must keep an eye on this log!

Wed 12th: 3 miles in 27:59, was trying for an easy 10min/mile pace...got that a bit wrong. I need to plan out my route a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

DigiJem wrote: »

After a lot of pondering about what to do next I've 2 new goals to commit to the log...
    1) Shift the rest of the excess weight, and get to WW goal by June 21nd in team for summer hols..time to lose that final stubborn stone.
    2) Continue to increase the miles gradually throughtout the summer and run the Dublin City Marathon.

Hi DigiJem was reading over your thread to motivate me to go out tonight. I must have missed this post last week.

2 big goals! You're doing so well so far..... Keep it up!

You must be almost finished Hal's Novice 10k program at this stage??

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    Hi DigiJem was reading over your thread to motivate me to go out tonight. I must have missed this post last week.

2 big goals! You're doing so well so far..... Keep it up!

You must be almost finished Hal's Novice 10k program at this stage??

Thanks dolliemix, I hope you did make it out for a run in the end.

The running is going better than the weightloss at the minute, I love my food too much! I've finished Hals 10k program, at present I'm just trying to build up the weekly milage before starting Hal's Novice Marathon program in June. Hal should be on comission, so many of using are using his programs :)

Thurs 13th: 3 m run in 28:01, today's a rest day and hopefully a spin on the bike tomorrow.

Sat 15th: 70 minutes on the bike, not sure of milage, but tough one with the wind and rain...mid-May weather:confused:

Sun 16th: Nice easy 6 miles to end the week, took 59:04.

Survived my first week with an extra run-day. Next week more of the same with hopefully a 10 k at the weekend.

Mon 17th: Stretch/Strength
    Tues 18th: 3 m run
    Wed 19th: 3 mile pace
    Thurs 20th: 3 m run
    Fri 21th: Rest
    Sat 22th: 10k race
    Sun 23th: Cross

May 17th - 1 hour of core work and stretching
    May 18th - 3 mile run in 29:31, ok once I got going

Awful pain on top of foot after run last Sunday, easing off a bit, icing seems to be helping. On a good note, down 3 lbs at weight-in today so happy days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

-3lbs! Cool :)

Well done!

May 19th 3 miles again tonight, pushed a bit harder than yesterday, done in 27:38. Left foot back to normal, right still sore but improved.

May 20th: Last of this weeks 3 miles, 29:09 in very muggy weather. Foot still a little sore, debating whether to skip 10k race at weekend and instead just do a slow 6 miles on Sunday :confused:

Sat 22nd: Tough 6 miles in the midday heat, took it very slowly, done in 60:05. Later that evening a 18 mile cycle, took just over 70 minutes...followed by well earned bbq.
    Sun 23rd: 19 mile cycle back home, much slower today, 1 hour 30 minutes, blaming the heat and last nights wine!

Next weeks plan:
    Mon 24th: Stretch/Strength
    Tues 25th: 3 m run
    Wed 26th: 3 m run
    Thurs 27th: 3 m run
    Fri 28th: Rest
    Sat 29th: Cross
    Sun 30th: LSR 6 miles

Mon 24th: Missed the Strenght & Stretch session, instead the garden got some long overdue TLC.
    Tues 25th: 3 miles in 27:13, the run tonight felt good, a lot cooler than recent runs. Up a pound at weight-in, paying for the excesses of the weekend.

Wed 26th Decided to go for an extra mile this evening, 4 miles in 38:18

• Advertisement

Thur 27th: Quite a breeze out there this evening. 3 miles done in 27:36

Now to try out the foam roller that arrived today, much to the amusement of my local postie.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

try going on your side, sooooo painful! i have to say its not the most elegant of arts!!
    enjoy!:p

try going on your side, sooooo painful! i have to say its not the most elegant of arts!!
    enjoy!:p

You're not kidding, could only manage a couple of seconds on my side. :o Guess its something I have to build up gradually.

Was in Mullingar today to pick up mini-marathon race number, so looked up a 10k there on Mapmyrun. Nice to have a change of scenery. 10k in 53:55, weather was sweet, no niggles in legs, and a new set of tunes on the shuffle; one of the nicest runs I've done.

Normally look forward to getting out on the bike, but really struggled to drag myself off the couch today. Eventually got out for a 80 minute spin; not nice, got cranky with the drivers who got too close. :( Usually I ignore them but today it really annoyed me. You'd think they could stay off the hard shoulder when they have a whole road to themselves. Anyhoo, apart from today it was a good week...next weeks plan:

Mon - Strength & Stretch...note to self, cannot skip this again
    Tue - 3 miles, might try some intervals for a change
    Wed - 4 miles
    Thur - 3 miles
    Fri - Cross
    Sun/Sun - rest days cause of Mon's mini-marathon

Mon 31st May - Strength & Stretch, did about an hour.
    Tue 1st Jun - 3 miles in 25:59. My first run with my new forerunner 110, nice piece of kit. :D

Wed 2nd June: 4 miles in 40:36, planned an easy run a 10 min/mile pace and stuck to that pace. Nice run along the grand canal, calm and sunny evening.

Thurs 3/6 - Good run after rough day, lots of ManU workmates given me grief over Rafa's departure :mad: Happy to get away on my own for a run.

3 miles at 8:29 average pace from Charleville estate. My iPhone used to always lose the GPS under all the tress on this route so pleased that the forerunner kept tracking.

Finding the 110 good so far, pushes me to keep up the pace on the fast run, and to keep it slow on easy runs. So far, very happy with purchase, will take it for a spin on the road bike tomorrow.

4 Jun: Missed planned cycle, work stuff! Went for a short jog with buddies doing C25k, they're at their final week, good stuff!
    5 Jun: 22 mile cycle in 1 hour 20; longer than planned but a lovely spin in the sun

Running mini-marathon on Mon, so a rest day tomorrow; weather forecast not good so time to reacquaint myself with couch/PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck on Monday DigiJem,
    Sub 50? It's much flatter than the Castlebar 10k so if you don't get caught up with the crowds I reckon you'll do it!

Advertisement