Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best years of my life, well kinda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Please say hi when you leave me in your dust on Monday! :pac::D (I'm #642)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

littlebug wrote: »
    Good luck on Monday DigiJem,
    Sub 50? It's much flatter than the Castlebar 10k so if you don't get caught up with the crowds I reckon you'll do it!

Thanks littlebug, I'm looking forward to this one. I fancy a crack at sub 50 alright, it seems like ages since Castlebar.

Please say hi when you leave me in your dust on Monday! :pac::D (I'm #642)

I'll shout out if I spot ya, I'm #410, have a good run!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Best of luck tomorrow!

Mon June 7th: Mini-marathon today, took about 49:50 I think, I messed up pressing the start button on my watch so bit of a delay on my start time. :o

Plan was to keep to a 5 min/K pace; stuck to it pretty good but really found it tough all the way through. I hoped I might have a faster last k in me, but there was zero left in the tank and hopefully got in under 50, will have to check the chip time.

Amazing event this race, strolling round beforehand seeing so many ladies in brightly clad charity teeshirts, great fun, all in all its a good vibe day even in the rain. Hightlight was a lady trying to explain to 2 spanish runners (with little english) what the firemen were going to them at 7k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Great running DigiJem, well done on (hopefully!) sub-50! :D

• Advertisement

Tue 8th: skipped strenght & stretch (as per usual :().
    Wed 9th/Thurs 10th: 2 easy runs, both at 10min/mile pace for 3 miles.
    Legs very sore after race, felt a bit knackered in general all week. Rest day today, hopefully a 6 mile LSR tomorrow, and a bike spin on Sunday.

Sat 13th: Felt good so added an extra mile, a really good run after feeling a bit rubbish all week. 7 miles @ 09:33 min/mile.
    Sun 14th: 1 hour cycle, not very enjoyable with the wind & rain. I like running in this weather, but hate it on the bike.

Slight change of plan for next week, getting the LSR in early to allow for extra runs on Sun/Mon. That's to allow for a couple of days travelling after that.

Mon 14th Strength & Stretch
    Tue 15th 3 miles
    Wed 16th 4 miles
    Thurs 17th rest
    Fri 18th 7 miles
    Sat 19th Cross
    Sun 20th 3 mile
    Mon 21th 4 mile

14th: 2 hours gardening instead of stretching. Pulling weeds felt like a workout.
    15th: Lovely night time run for a change, cooler than earlier. 4 miles @ 9:23 min/mile.

3 miles tomorrow.

Wed 16th: A real struggle to get up off the couch this evening, but not so bad once I got going. Got stuck at work so another late evening run.

3 miles at 08:45 mile/min avg pace.

Thurs 18th: rest day
    Fri 19th: Strange to be doing my LSR on a Friday evening. Thought it might be tougher than normal after work. Felt good though, a nice 7 mile run at 9:44 min/mile average pace.

Looking forward to spin on bike tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Sat 19th: 15 miles on bike, took 70 mins. Nice spin in the sunshine.

Sun 20th: 3 easy miles as 09:27 min/mile avg pace. Glad it was an easy run, was still a bit stuffed after bbq earlier. Got a stitch for the first few minutes but after that went it was a nice run. I'm getting fond of this bumpy canal path, although the flies were out in their thousands this evening.

Signed up for the 5 mile in the dublin race series, something to aim for once I get back from my hols.

Next weeks plan, a bit disjointed:
    Mon 21st: 4m PMP
    Tues 22nd & Wed 23rd - 2 days rest because of travelling, bus, plane, then ferry to Ios :D
    Thur 24th 3m PMP
    Friday 25th 3m easy
    Sat 26th Rest
    Sun 27th 6m easy

Following week, more of the same, week 2 of HH plan. Hopefully, I find time to get late evening runs in the Greek heat, dont expect early mornings are a option.

Tried to push it this evening, a good run if a bit faster than planned.

4 miles, avg pace 08:36 min/mile

Oh wow. Very impressed with your holiday plan! Thats commitment! Good luck and enjoy!

Jul 4th, back home from hols, 7m at 9:18 min/mile, faster than planned.

Last weeks runs:
    Jun 23rd 2.84m at 10:07 min/mile.
    Jun 25th 2.48m at 10:08 min/mile.
    Jun 27th 6m at 11:11 min/mile.
    Jun 29th 3m at 9:56 min/mile.
    Jun 30th 3m at 9:55 min/mile.
    Jul 1st 2.65m at 9:21 min/mile

All easy runs, the heat, hills and hangovers made it tough. Back to the daily grind tomorrow, have to get the diet back in shape too, dreading next weight-in :eek:

That's HH weeks 1 & 2 done twice now so moving onto week 3. Switching LSR with week 4 to allow for 5mile race on the 17th.

Plan for next week:
    Mon 5th S&S
    Tue 6th 3m easy
    Wed 7th 4m PMP
    Thur 8th 3m easy
    Fri 9th rest
    Sat 10th Cross
    Sun 11th 9 m LSR

omg ....even more impressed that you followed through. Good luck with weigh in. If you do gain (and you might not after all that running in the heat), it will come off fairly quickly. If you put your mind to it, holiday weights normally comes off in a week or two.

I'm heading off on holidays now but I won't be able to run. I'll be starting HH half Marathon again when I get home so I'm looking forward to catching up on your progress! I'll be so jealous :D:)

5th July
    Skipped S&S, really struggling to bring myself to work on stretching and core work. Getting annoyed with myself about this now, I might search for a class in the local gym to try sort this out.

6th July
    Back to WW, was happy to be up only 3 lbs from holidays, could have been worse given the amount of beer and feta consumed over the last 2 weeks.

Tonight 3 miles at 8:26 avg pace. A bit of a nutty run, plan was to go at an easy pace but I started off too fast, then slowed down, then started sprinting between street lights until I was wrecked. Only last mile was slowish, think my running brain is starting to rebel against the plan. I really enjoyed it though :confused:

7th July (Plan 4 mile PMP)

Did 4 miles at 8:36 avg pace. Back to the canal run, nice run & felt good, again a bit faster than planned but necessary to get back home in time for the footie. :)

8th July (Plan 3 miles easy pace)

3 miles @ 9:26 avg pace. Forced myself to run slower this evening and stick to the plan. Dull, grey and raining all evening, got drenched, happy days..its been ages since I ran in the rain, forgotten how nice it is.

Having my first black toenail experience, think it must be from all that downhill running last week, anyway not too sore just looks funny.

Rest day tomorrow, hoping weather lifts for a long spin on the bike on Sat.

July 10th Pee'd off, I was looking forward to getting back out on the bike all week but the weather wasn't playing ball today. Blustery wind and pelting rain made it pretty miserable, only positive was I managed to stick at it for the full hour. Just under 15 miles done, slow as a wet week round the turns, got zero confidence in my ability to stay upright in the wet :(

Looking forward to LSR tomorrow, in Dublin so hope to get a run in the Park for a nice change.

Jul 11th: A very enjoyable run in Phoenix park, 9 miles at 9:40 avg pace. My longest run so far, went ok apart from sore toe which started to really throb from mile 6 onwards.

A good week all in all, got the diet back on track.

Plan for next week:
    12th Strength And Stretch
    13th 3 Easy
    14th 4 PMP
    15th 3 Easy
    16th Rest
    17th Irish runner 5 mile
    18th Cross

• Advertisement

July 12th: Did a good hour session on stretching, some weights and core work. Also reacquainted myself with the foam roller after a long absence..ouch!

July 13th: (Plan 3 miles easy pace)
    Sore toe and ankle appear to be gone. A nice easy run. 3 miles @ 9:26 avg pace.

July 14th (Plan 4m PMP)

After a cr@p day at work, a nice run was just what the doctor ordered. 4 miles @ 9:08 avg pace. Started off too fast but went ok after that, getting a little better at sticking to to planned pace.

July 15 (Plan 3 miles easy pace)

3 miles at 9:43 avg pace. Another easy run, felt a litle wrecked afterward, reckon an early night is required. Back along the canal with the fishermen this evening, they never seem to catch anything, no wonder they all look so grumpy, I thought fishing was suposed to be relaxing :confused:

Rest day tomorrow. Looking forward to race on Sat, have never raced a 5 miler. MacMillan reckons I can do it under 40 mins based on 10k time so I'll aim for that and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Looks like training is going well for you and hopefully it will pay off on Sat. Best of luck going for a sub 40 :)

July 17th Irish runner 5 miler
    Not the full 5 miles it seems, so I'll have to wait a bit longer for a 5mile pb. My garmin said 4.9 miles, which took me 38:33.

Also first time I've raced with my elder brother, we compared goodie bags afterward. Gutted I got no jelly babies, a friggin muesli bar instead! :mad:

Pity course was short but I was more upset about the absent jelly babies tbh. Very pleased with todays run, reckon I'm due a treat....pizza & beer for digijem tonight :D:)

Bit of a wimp today, skipped the planned cycle as rain was pelting down, roasted beans instead, theres still a yummy coffee smell in the house. Got out for a easy run this evening to shake off the heavy legs from yesterday, 2m @ 10:26 avg pace

Plan for next week:

Mon:|S&S
    Tue:|3 easy
    Wed:|5m PMP
    Thur:|3m easy
    Fri:|Rest
    Sat:|Cross
    Sun:|10m lsr

July 19: An 18 mile cycle @ 16mph, felt guilty after missing the Sunday spin and the sun was shining, albeit briefly. Probably my best cycling effort so far.

July 20: 3.5 mile run @ 9:15 avg pace..went too quick for a easy run. Misjudged the distance on the out leg, gave myself an unnecessary half mile extra. Muggy and unpleasant this one.

July 21: 5 mile run @ 9:01 avg pace. Felt good, pace a bit better but a little too fast still, have to keep a closer eye on the garmin. Started out in a gentle drizzle which turned into a downpour near the end, got soaked but home to a nice hot curry to warm me up. :)

July 22nd: 3 miles easy tonight. Finally got the pace right, avg pace of 09:45. Felt a bit cooler tonight along the canal. Rest day tomorrow, then cycle & 10 mile LSR at the weekend.

July 24th 20 miles cycle in 1:18:29. A really nice day for it, dry and only a little wind. Took it easy as I've got LSR tomorrow. I usually prefer to cycle after the LSR but have to be in Dublin tomorrow for family stuff. Will have to get away for a couple of hours to get my run in. Looking forward to getting into double digits for the first time.

Also hope to pick up a new pair of runners if I can make it out to Amphibian King in time. It's time to be breaking in a 2nd pair. Thinking of sticking with the Kayano 16's, they seem to be working out for me so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Some good stuff there and steady improvements there dijigem.

Advertisement