Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best years of my life, well kinda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

July 25th: 10 mile LSR, avg pace was 9:58 min/mile.

Nice run in Marley park, although I went past that ice-cream van way too many times, was drooling for a ice-cream by the end.

Feels like a big milestone to get the LSR into double-digits, not that long ago since 10k seemed impossible, very happy :D

Plan for next week, switching 7 mile LSR with following week's 12 to allow for race on the 7th:

Mon:|S&S
    Tue:|3 easy
    Wed:|5m PMP
    Thur:|3m easy
    Fri:|Rest
    Sat:|Cross
    Sun:|12m lsr

Jul 27: 3 miles @ 9:23 min/mile: Uneventful run along the canal. Used the new runners, no probs.

Jul 28: 5 miles @ 08:39 min/mile - A later than usual run, really nice cool evening run. Plan was for 9:09 min/mile but I went too fast, kept ignoring the garmin, I really enjoyed it though, best run I've had in ages.

Jul 29: A nice easy 3 miles in the park (9:49 avg pace). Felt sluggish & tierd at start but okay after first mile

Rest day tomorrow, then 12 mile LSR on Sat and cycle over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

DigiJem wrote: »
    Jul 27: 3 miles @ 9:23 min/mile: Uneventful run along the canal. Used the new runners, no probs.

Jul 28: 5 miles @ 08:39 min/mile - A later than usual run, really nice cool evening run. Plan was for 9:09 min/mile but I went too fast, kept ignoring the garmin, I really enjoyed it though, best run I've had in ages.

Jul 29: A nice easy 3 miles in the park (9:49 avg pace). Felt sluggish & tierd at start but okay after first mile

Rest day tomorrow, then 12 mile LSR on Sat and cycle over the weekend.

Good luck with the 12 miler!

31 July: 12 miles in just under 2 hours: Headed off without garmin :o so relied on mapmyrun, pleased to keep the pace at 10 min/mile without the watch. Did the route of Frank Duffy 10 mile, then another 2 miles. Good run, got soaked early on then it cleared to a nice drizzle.

Pretty wrecked afterwards, mainly in the legs. Usual niggles after lsr (left ankle & right knee), icing and long soak with epsom salts usually sorts them out. Hope to get out on bike tomorrow if every feels okay.

DigiJem wrote: »
    31 July: 12 miles in just under 2 hours: Headed off without garmin :o so relied on mapmyrun, pleased to keep the pace at 10 min/mile without the watch. Did the route of Frank Duffy 10 mile, then another 2 miles. Good run, got soaked early on then it cleared to a nice drizzle.

Pretty wrecked afterwards, mainly in the legs. Usual niggles after lsr (left ankle & right knee), icing and long soak with epsom salts usually sorts them out. Hope to get out on bike tomorrow if every feels okay.

Under 2 hours...thats a great time!

I was doing then epsom salts bath thing last night as well lol!

Enjoy the bike today. Its nice out there :)

• Advertisement

Aug 1st: 30 mile cycle, took just over 2 hours. Thats the longest I managed on the bike in a long time, so it was a good finish to this weeks training.

Next weeks plan:

Mon:|rest
    Tue:|3m easy
    Wed:|6m PMP
    Sat:|8k race in Galway
    Sun:|Cross

Aug 3rd: 3 miles easy, done @ 9:28 mins/mile. Some stretching & foam roller

Aug 4th: 6 miles PMP, done @ 9:08 mins/mile. Kept a better eye on my pace this week, and felt a lot better afterwards.

5th & 6th: Woke up with the tonsils from hell, couldnt speak, and felt like crap. Doc gave me antibiotics for the next week. Tonsils + high temperature = zombieland/couch for next 2 days. Since I couldn't sleep it turns out this time was productive in selecting theeeeee best fantasy premier league team for 2010/11! ;) Sad but true

7th Streets of Galway 8k: Doc said I'd be fine to run this (at least thats what I heard); I had hoped for sub 40 when I entered, ran 44:07. Given everything, I'm pleased with that and moreso the fact I mananged to go throught with it. This was my first time running this race and I thought the course & organisanision was brillant...I'm coming back next year for that sub 40!

8th: Planned cycle not happening, wrecked so taking it easy today. Another 4 days on antibiotics, hope that clears things up. Voice is back but sounds a bit like ET still

Plan for next week
    Mon:|rest
    Tue:|3m easy
    Wed:|6m PMP
    Sat:|13m LSR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

well done on SoG DigiJem. A great run considering you were ill! It was hot out there which can't have helped much.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done :) Look after yourself now, might be worthwhile taking it a bit easier for a few days while you're on the antibiotics because they are draining.

• Advertisement

Well done. Hope everything clears up soon!

Aug 10th: Easy 3 miles to see how everything felt. Not too bad, breathing felt very wheezing but ok other than that. Might scratch the full 6 miles at PMP and take it slowly instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good running on the SOG especially since you were feeling crap. Hope it clears up soon

Aug 11th: 6 miles at 9:30 min/mile. Stuck religiously to an easy pace, which wasnt difficult as I felt pretty bushed on this one.

Aug 12th: 3 miles at 9:33 min/mile. Another easy run, felt a bit better this evening.

Hopefully thats the end of the meh feelin I've had for the last few days. Going to leave LSR until Sunday to give myself 2 rest days. Off for a weeks hols with the extended family. Looking forward to it, have to research some good runs and bike spins around Lough Corrib

14th: A 7 mile spin, took 36:11. Shorter than planned but had a problem with the chain falling off that took ages to get sorted. I must look up some stuff on bike maintenance.

15th: 13 mile LSR, avg pace 9:58 min/mile. Lovely run in Galeway with younger brother who's also following HH novice 1 for DCM. Despite this, its the first time we've managed to run together, so we ditched the rest of the family and off we went. Felt surprisingly good on this run, better than I've felt for a long time. Pretty hot during run, but not complaining, more sunshine please :)

Plan for next week, hope to get some more cycling around Connamara so we'll see how the running goes.

Mon:|Bike spin
    Wed:|7m PMP
    Thur:|4m easy
    Sat:|Cross
    Sun:|10m race

Aug 17th: 3 miles at 9:09. Nice run out towards Barna, down to beach and back. Lovely and warm, nice run. Ran this one at PMP instead of tomorrow, taking tomorrow easy as route is hilly.

Aug 17th: A evening spin on the bike, about 9 miles in 45 minutes up a hilly drag, hands cramped up from squeezing the brakes so hard on the descent.

Aug 18th: A 6 mile loop from Oughterard out along a very quiet lakeside road. Then a steady climb for a mile looping back into town, some great views of Lough Corrib. Found this one tough, and just about managed to pass the car and tag on the 7th mile. Done at 9:34 min/mile avg pace

Aug 19th: 41k Cycle. Looking forward to this cycle all week, from Maam Cross to Leehane and back, one of my favorite drives in this area. Even better on the bike, lots of streams and tiny waterfalls that you just don't see from the car. Done in just under 2 hours, great spin with great scenery, even on a dull grey rainy day. Skipping planned 3 mile run today, legs have had enough for one day.

Rest day tomorrow, then 10 mile race on Sat

Early start for this one, had to unpack the holiday gear from the car before setting off, not very organised. Still got there in time to nip over to Hueston for a coffee.

Very hot at times, I left my sunglasses in the car but can't complain about having sun I guess

Started at the very back of the first wave, not as crowded during the first mile as the 5 miler. Everything went very well for the first 6 miles except I messed up the water stop and only managed a couple of sips in my mouth, the rest ended up all over my face.

First hill went ok, but miles 7 & 8 were a bit of a blur, I was really struggling at this stage and was happy to see the 9 mile marker.

Just got under the 85 mins, 84:48, wrecked at the end, but happy, cant wait for the half now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great run DJ - well done :D

A little sore in the legs from yesterday so it was a struggle to drag myself off the sofa today. It was all good once I got up & going, a 20 mile cycle done in just under 77 minutes. Got soaked but managed to get a little sunshine between the showers.

Into week 10, plan for next week:

Mon:|Rest
    Wed:|7m PMP
    Sat:|15m LSR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great time on Saturday! Well done. :D

Aug 23rd:
    A gentle spin on the mountain bike along the canal, about 8 miles in an attempt to loosen up the sore legs.

Aug 24th:
    3 miles at 8:54 min/mile. Too fast, ignored the watch until the end. Just one of those runs I wanted to push it a bit for no good reason

Aug 25th:
    5.5 miles at 8:38 min/mile, then a quick stop when I met a friend out walking their new lab puppy, so cute. Then 1.5 miles to get me home at 9:08 min/mile. Again tonight was a bit too fast but felt a lot better this evening.

26th Aug: Skipped planned 4 miles, just felt tired & wussed out on this one. Did an bit of stretching and used the foam roller instead.

28th Aug: 16 miles at 9:45 min/mile
    Meet up with about 20 or so boards runners, nice to run with a group for a change. Lovely route around the park and the war memorial park. Tagged on a extra mile to get back to the car.

29th Aug: 20 miles, avg speed 14.9mph
    Tough cycle, seemed to be into a headwind most of the time. Same route as I did last Sunday, so tried to beat that time. Almost 4 minutes slower, not even close, maybe next week. Top of left foot a bit sore from yesterdays run, but was ok on the bike, an excuse to put the feet up for the rest of the evening.

Plan for next week:

Mon:|Rest
    Tue:|4m easy
    Wed:|8m PMP
    Sat:|18m LSR

It was lovely to meet you on Saturday. Thought you'd get to the 16 miles alright getting back to your car. :)

31 Aug: 4 miles easy, done at 9:27 min/mile. Top of foot still sore but a lot better, more icing needed. Pretty uneventful run on a nice sunny evening

1st Sept: Foot pain not improving so a visit to the physio this morning. Nothing too serious, but have to get it sorted before it gets any worse. Some acupuncture, foot strapped up and no running until next week. Have to wait & see how it is at that stage.

Frustrating but it could be worse, and I'm allowed to cycle, so some qualtity time with the road bike ahead. Started with a cycle this evening, took it gently to start but no niggles at all from foot. 20k at avg speed 23.6 km/h.

Ah sorry to hear that, mind yourself.

2nd Sept - 20k cycle, avg speed 24.1 km/h

Nice flat route again, a good cycle. Starting to get dark pretty quick, first time I've had to stick on the lights & hi-viz gear. Rest tomorrow, and all going well a couple of longer spins over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hope the recovery goes well for you and in the meantime enjoy your cycling :)

• Advertisement

4th Sept: 24. 5k in just over an hour. This one felt like a bit of a chore, very blustery for most of it. Getting fed up strapping the Garmin to the handlebars instead of my wrist :( Might try a change of location tomorrow, stash the bike in the car and head up the mountains.

Advertisement