Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best years of my life, well kinda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

5th Sept: My first attempt at adding some hills to the bike rides, and jeez it was tough, had to stop several times. Drove up to the Slieve Blooms, wind & rain didn't help but even on a dull grey day that place is beautiful. Only did an hour, my legs couldn't manage any more. Noted some serious potholes on the ascent, so took it very slow on way back down to car.

Finally get to run tomorrow, a 3 mile run to see if my foot holds up, then back to physio on Tuesday. Foot feels better so fingers crossed.

6th Sept: This was supposed to be a 3 mile test run before going back to the physio. Foot was fine for previous few days when walking on it so I was hopeful. It went awful though, I ran for half a mile but knew straight away foot was too sore. I walked for a bit then tried again, it felt a little better but I didnt want to make it worse so called it a day after a mile. Strolled home, pretty miserable & stuck the foot on ice.

7th Sept: Back to physio this evening, I was pretty much resigned to at least another week off running. A lot more of pressing, poking, needles and jumping on one foot. Diagnosis is likely to be a soft tissue injury rather than a stress fracture, but I do have to get a xray to rule that out.

Left happy with my foot strapped up with more arch support, and a plan to do a 2 mile run to see how that would hold up. 2 miles done @ 10 min/mile pace, foot pain bearable. Hopefully this will allow me do some running while it heals up.

I'm not sure exactly how its going to pan out over the next while, just have to take it easy and follow advise. Cycle tomorrow, then back to physio on Thursday. For now, just happy to get out for a run, it felt really really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

eek sorry to hear about the injury digigem. better to be safe than sorry and get it checked out and sorted now. Hope you're not out for too long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hope you got some good news at the physio!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry to hear about the injury, but glad it is nothing too serious to prevent you from pounding the roads.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, feeling less sorry for myself today & foot not so bad after yesterdays run.

8th Sept: 23k on the bike at 25.4 km/hour, and somehow avoided the rain showers :)

9th Sept: 4 miles @ 10:04 min/mile

X-ray booked for next week, as according to GP, nothing will show up on the x-ray until then. So all worries about a possible stress fracture are parked until then.

Back at physio this evening, more treatment, foot strapped up again & a plan of action in place. 4 miles tonight, rest-day, then 6 miles, rest-day, then a short run without the strapping. All runs are to be slow, but I can cycle as much as I want. Will see how all that goes & then head back to physio.

So tonight, 4 slow miles in the lashing rain...bliss :D

10th Sept: 28k cycle @ avg speed of 25.4 km/h – Tried to push it a bit harder, 2 quick stops to put on/take off the rain jacket, crazy weather!

11th Sept: 6.8 miles, avg pace of 9:42 min/mile. Kept it slow but a really good run, I wanted to keep going. Only a slight niggle from the foot, forgot about it for most of the run. Happy with that.

12th Sept: 20k cycle @ 25.6 km/h avg speed – 5k shorter than planned, had to get home in time for the footie on telly.

13th Sept: 3.7 miles @ 09:52 min/mile. First run without the foot strapped, felt ok for most of run. Back to physio tomorrow.

Sept 14th: Physio again, learnt how to tape up my foot to have better arch support while my foot heals up. Hopefully a temporary thing, and better than trying to get used to orthotics at this stage. Worked well on a 10 mile run afterwards, not even a niggle. 10 miles @ 10:03 avg pace

Sept 16th: Got the x-ray done and no sign of a stress fracture. Very very relieved about that, I'm happy now that I can keep getting some miles in while the foot come good. Did my first solo attempt at taping my foot up tonight, made a complete hash of it but got it right second time around. Out for a late run, felt strange running in the dark, better get used to it I guess.

Plan now is to run HM on Saturday, I'm not sure at what pace. I guess I should treat it as a LSR, then hopefully get back on track next week.

• Advertisement

Arrived later than planned, so had to park over in Heuston. Queue was massive for the buses so I walked/jogged up to the start. Got there with just 1 minute to spare.

Plan was to go at LSR pace of 10 min/miles for the first 10 miles, so I avoided the pacers and got in at the very back of the 2 hour wave. I didn’t manage my target pace for even 1 mile. 9:03 for 1st mile, then got carried along by the crowd so 2nd was a little faster (8:51). Forced myself to slow it down for next couple of miles but were still too fast.

After that I just forgot about trying to pace it, which was probably for the best. Apart from the hilly sections, most miles were around 8:40 pace and I was comfortable at that. Everything felt good, and there was no pain at all from my foot. My amateurish attempt at taping started to loosen at mile 9, but even still I felt no problems with it

I really enjoyed this race, and felt good throughout, even the hills didn’t seem too bad today. For me, it went much better than the 10 miler, which is weird since my training has been hit & miss for the last 3 weeks.

Anyway, done in 1:56:55. I think I could shave a minute or two off that; I might have a go at another half if I survive DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thats brilliant Digi. Well done!

DigiJem wrote: »

Anyway, done in 1:56:55. I think I could shave a minute or two off that; I might have a go at another half if I survive DCM.

OMG, you were 3 seconds ahead of me! I never saw you atall.
    Well done! :)

Left foot very sore in the days after the half marathon, which is weird as it was fine during and after the race. Anyway, no running again until that eases. Back to physio last Tues, and got measured for orthotics, which I hopefully get early next week. In two minds about orthotics, but it’s worth a shot, and I need a long-term fix for this problem. DCM is looking a bit shaky now, but I’m not ready to give up on it just yet.

So back to gym on Tue for weights session, which was really enjoyable. Cycled Wed (about 10k) & this evening (4k), both ended with a long walk home after punctures. Going through way too many tubes, I still have to find the culprit, there must be something in the tyre causing it but I’m damned if I can find it :mad: I think the exercise gods have it in for me at present, but what doesn’t kill ya cures ya, allegedly!

25th Sept: Went to local bike shop to get tyre sorted, couldn’t believe it, he found a shard of glass poking thru the tyre in about 10 seconds flat. :eek: I spent ages trying to find what was causing punctures. Anyway, back in business on the bike. Too late to go for a cycle so went to the gym instead. Did about 40 minutes cardio; then another 40 on weights & stretching.

26th Sept: 55k @ 24.2 km/hour. Set off after lunch for a longish spin. A really nice day for it, sunny & crisp with very little wind.

27th Sept: First run in over a week, strapped up the foot and set off. A little sore for the first half-mile, eased off after that. 4 miles @ avg pace of 9:19 min/mile; felt really good & feet straight into bucket of iced water once I got home. Back to physio tomorrow to collect orthotics

28th Sept: Back with physio and picked up new insoles with instructions on breaking them in, something about walking for 3 miles for the next few days :rolleyes:. Went for a walk, and it didn’t feel all that comfortable, jogged a bit and it went better. So back home and into my running gear, and back out the door. It felt much better running than walking, foot felt ok after the first few minutes and 10 slow miles later I was soaked & happy. Will see how it is tomorrow; a single blister beginning to appear but apart from that that it feels ok. 10 miles @ avg pace of 9:58 min/mile.

Who wants to go walking??? :rolleyes::D Great that you're back up and running again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

"Walk for 3 miles? How about run for 10?"
    Where has that thread on running addiction got to...?

30th Sept: Rest day yesterday, foot felt ok after Tuesday’s run. Did 5 miles tonight at 9:30 avg pace. Out later than usual as I had watch the footie, another scoreless draw :(

A cycle tomorrow maybe, then nothing until Sunday - the ¾ marathon in Athlone.

• Advertisement

3rd Oct: Athlone ¾ marathon race

A nice short drive to a race for a change, Lough Ree was at it’s finest in the sunshine this morning. The location, facilities and organisation were great, couldn’t have asked for better.

Determined not to go off too fast so did the first 3 miles @ 10 min/mile pace, then sped up a little for the next few miles. Lots of little hills, nothing too severe but lots of them. I’m sure there was equal amount of downhill running but I can only remember the hills.

Was pretty ok throughout, until the 18 mile mark to the end where my legs really felt very heavy. Haven’t chip time as yet, but I timed it at just over 3:07. 19.6ish miles @ 9:30 avg pace.

Given I missed my 18 mile run, I really wanted to get the 20 done, so happy with today. A tough run ; but felt like a good one. now it’s taper time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great stuff Digijem. What are you aiming for in dcm?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one DigiJem - that's a good solid run to get in today. Enjoy the taper now. :)

littlebug wrote: »
    Great stuff Digijem. What are you aiming for in dcm?

I think I'll aim for 4:15, but it changes on a weekly basis. Last week I would have been happy with just making it to the start line :)

3rd Oct: Athlone ¾ marathon race

A nice short drive to a race for a change, Lough Ree was at it’s finest in the sunshine this morning. The location, facilities and organisation were great, couldn’t have asked for better.

Determined not to go off too fast so did the first 3 miles @ 10 min/mile pace, then sped up a little for the next few miles. Lots of little hills, nothing too severe but lots of them. I’m sure there was equal amount of downhill running but I can only remember the hills.

Was pretty ok throughout, until the 18 mile mark to the end where my legs really felt very heavy. Haven’t chip time as yet, but I timed it at just over 3:07. 19.6ish miles @ 9:30 avg pace.

Given I missed my 18 mile run, I really wanted to get the 20 done, so happy with today. A tough run ; but felt like a good one. now it’s taper time :D

Great running!

Oct 4th:
    Back to the physio to confess my sins about last weeks mileage. Last session of ultrasound & acupuncture, and she sent my off with a recommendation for compeed blister plasters which hopefully will help with the insoles. Did an hour at the gym afterward, lots of stretching and some weights; followed by the foam roller on my quads which were pretty sore.

Oct 5th: 5 miles @ 9:57 avg pace:
    Got stuck late at work, threw my evening out of shape. Scoffed down some food before heading out for a run. Stupid mistake, had a stitch that I couldn’t shake and didn’t feel great throughout.

Oct 6th : 8 miles @ 9:43 avg pace:
    Another meh run, was ok for first half but legs felt like lead on the way back home. Feel the need for a rest day tomorrow, for once I’m going to listen to my body; I think the 20 mile at the weekend has left me a bit tired.

Oct 8th: 30 minutes cardio, followed by another 30 of weights & stretching.

Oct 9th: 12 miles at 9:34 avg pace
    An uneventful run but enjoyable. Nice to run in the park again, hadn’t been there for a couple of weeks, a lovely evening for a run too.

Oct 10th: 26k cycle at avg speed of 24.1kph.
    Having a nice lazy Sunday on the couch when a hint of guilt arrived over not doing the planned cycle, damn conscience :( Ok once I go out and going, although it was pretty blustery, managed just over an hour.

Plan for next week, changed a bit so as not to run 2 days in a row, which hopefully will keep the foot going strong:

Mon: 4 miles
    Tues: Cross
    Wed: 6 miles
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: 3 miles
    Sat: Cross
    Sun: 8 miles

Oct 11th: 4 miles @ about 9:45 avg pace.
    Not 100% sure about the pace, my garmin froze when I pressed the backlight button – that’s the second time it’s done that recently. Anyway, a good run with a couple of stops because I met friends out dog-walking. There was loads of walkers and runners out tonight, it must be the mild night.

Oct 13th: 6 miles at 10:02 avg pace
    A good run, everything felt pretty good. Stuck religiously to 10 min/mile pace, don't want to jinx anything. Home in an hour; don’t know what to do with myself these evenings with all these shortish runs.

• Advertisement

Oct 13th: 6 miles at 10:02 avg pace
    A good run, everything felt pretty good. Stuck religiously to 10 min/mile pace, don't want to jinx anything. Home in an hour; don’t know what to do with myself these evenings with all these shortish runs.

I love the shortish runs now. I can't wait til DCM is over in a way, to have the freedom of running when I want and for long I want & not have to follow a programme.
    Oh the pressure.... :)

Advertisement