Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best years of my life, well kinda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Oct 14th: Gym for strength & stretch, only did about 40 minutes but lots of stretching done for a change.

Oct 15th: 3.5 miles at 9:23 avg pace
    A little bit too long and too fast, but it felt good. Rest tomorrow, then my last long run on Sunday evening. I’m skipping my usual weekend cycle in favour of spending some time with my little niece whom I haven’t seen in ages, looking forward to it. :D

Oct 17th: 8 miles at 9:33 avg pace
    A great run today, a really nice and crisp evening. My aul bones are loving the taper mileage. The problem in my foot has completely vanished, not so much as a hint of a niggle.

Last LSR on training plan, felt a little sad afterwards :o I’m going to crack up next week looking at the 2 & 3 mile runs in the plan. Anyway, I’m starting swimming lessons next week so that might keep me distracted.

Mon: Rest
    Tues: 3 miles
    Wed: 4 miles
    Thur: Rest
    Fri: 2 miles
    Sat & Sun: Rest

Oct 19th: 3 miles at 9:09 avg pace
    Had a lot of work on today so had to squeeze a run in at lunchtime. Went a bit faster than planned but really enjoyed it

Had my first swimming lesson tonight which was terrible, so much stuff to remember, move arms, kick legs, breath in/out. You watch people swim and it seems such a natural movement, like hell it is.

Anyway, I survived lesson 1 of 10, so we’ll see how it goes. Not feeling the love for the water just yet. Calves cramped up after only a few minutes, not sure why, I don’t want to imagine what they’ll be like next week after DCM

Oct 20th: 4 miles at 9:56 avg pace
    Late home from work, so late dinner and then out for a run. Freezing cold out tonight so tried out the long-sleeve gear & leggings I got in lidl a few weeks ago, nice & cosy. Kept it slow throughout, a nice run. Rest day tomorrow, then last run on Friday.

Oct 22nd: 2 miles at 9:51 avg pace

Last run done, all good! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

How did it go Digigem?

Was out cheering some of you on! Great buzz but then my legs weren't feeling it!

A pretty cold start and I found it difficult to stay warm, guess my disposable gear wasn't warm enough. The start went well, made a conscious effort to relax and enjoy the first few miles, running through the city streets was great. All was going well and got through the park easy enough.

The climb after Chapelizod knocked the stuffing out of me, got to the top with a sharp pain in my left thigh. Hoped it was temporary but it never left. Tried to keep up the pace as it didn't seem to ease when I slowed down anyway.

Miles 10 to 15 were the worst part of the whole race for me, had to stop twice to stretch my leg and got it hard to get going after each stop. After that I got into a good rhythm and forgot about the pain, I knew I was still on target with the pace. The last miles were a killer. On Roebuck road I promised myself a 10 second walk break if I made it to RTE, which I took. Got going again, determined not to have any further stops. Xebec popped up beside me around Merrion road for a minute, I was glad to see a friendly face at that stage.

Finished in 4:13:43. Amazing feeling crossing the line, hard to describe, a mixture of elation, relief, exhaustion...it was overwhelming. Tried to keep moving afterwards but I had very jelly legs and had to sit for a while. Eventually, I slowly made it down to McGrattens for thee nicest pint I've ever had.

The crowds and support throughout was amazing, you were never too far from the next cheer zone. From Pearse street to the finish was something special, I've never experienced anything like that and made the effort worthwhile. Also christened my BAC singlet so I got a few "go boards" shouts along the way.

Highlight: The finish and meeting my bro at the end. This all started last Xmas day, when we dared each other to run DCM. Glad we both made it in the end

Low points: How my legs feel today...ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done! That was a great performance! Congratulations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great stuff!! You were obviously working hard when I saw you but looked strong! Great time for your first marathon - I've got three under my belt and I'm still chasing you!

Jeez it took me nearly 5 minute to find my log. Hadn't done anything since DCM, I was glad to take a week off but really felt the itch to get out for a run yesterday. Felt great starting off, then at 2 miles the pain in my left thigh reappeared, I knew straight away it was the same pain I had in DCM. Slowed straight away and walked home deflated.

Back to physio, to learn about yet another tendon I've managed to inflame :rolleyes:. No biggie actually, I just have to rest for another 2 weeks plus loads of stretching. I can cycle too if it doesn't hurt so it could be worse.

Anyway, I've entered a few races for Dec so hopefully this will sort itself out by then. Plus I signed up for the full in Connemara so that's the next big target, a lot to look forward to really. :pac:

• Advertisement

Good luck Digi Gem hopes its a short term thing you have. What have you signed up for in December.

Congrats on Marathon! :)

dolliemix wrote: »
    Good luck Digi Gem hopes its a short term thing you have. What have you signed up for in December.

Congrats on Marathon! :)

Thanks dolliemix, I've entered the Jingle Bells 5k and half in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

DigiJem wrote: »
    Thanks dolliemix, I've entered the Jingle Bells 5k and half in Waterford.

That's the spirit! I'm going to do Waterford too. Still humming and hawing about Barcelona. Would love to do it but not sure I can devote the time to marathon training again like I did for Dublin. Sure I've plenty time to decide! :rolleyes:

13th Nov: 3 miles @ 9:04 min/mile pace

In Salthill today so a run along the prom and out past the golf course was the plan. Very wet & windy which kept all the walkers away, so I didn’t have to dodge too many people and dogs. It felt like ages since I’ve ran, it was great to get back out but I went a bit too fast in my enthusiasm today. Leg much improved, started to hurt a little at 2.5 miles so I called it a day at 3 miles. I’m going to keep up the slow shorts runs until it completely clears up. Hopefully one more week will see it right.

the judges are so funny tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Finally found your log and got to read your race report for DCM. Slightly late but well done on a brilliant time. It didn't sound like the nicest of mid-section runs but love how you forgot about the pain :-)

Hopefully you'll be as right as rain for Jingle and Waterford and see you there.

15th Nov: 3.5 miles @ 9:54 min/mile pace.
    Freezing out but a nice uneventful run. 1 short stop for a stretch of the hip/quad then off again.

17th Nov: 4 miles @ 9:26 min/mile pace. Best run in ages, no stretching pit stops were needed tonight. Rain, squally wind and splashing through puddles. Brilliant run, really enjoyed it, I think I must have been a duck in a previous existence. :pac:

18th Nov:
    45 min spin class. Planned to do some gym work, but not really in the mood. Decided to do a class instead and had a blast, and a great workout. Even managed to spend time stretching and foam rolling afterwards.

19th Nov:
    4 miles @ 9:29 min/mile pace. A good run tonight. No pain at all for last couple of runs so I hope to do a longer run on Sunday, not sure how far to push it, maybe 6 or 8 slow miles

21st Nov:

Met a workmate for a 2 mile run and had a good laugh howling at the full moon, she’s doing her first 5k next weekend. 2 miles @ 13:21 min/mile pace.

After that, 7 miles @ 09:48 min/mile pace. Felt really out of puff after this, hopefully a few weeks of solid training will sort that out.

I've decided to go with HH's Intermediate II plan for Connemara & I’ll start that in about 3 weeks time. So until then just going to bring the weekly mileage up towards 30, if I can.

Next week’s plan:

Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun
    S&S|3m easy|5m pace|3m easy|rest|5k race|8m lsr

23rd Nov: 3 miles @ 9:15 min/mile pace.
    Went straight from work, nice run, but really cold out there and I forgot my hat & gloves. Went a bit quicker than planned but just to keep warm.

24th Nov: 5.5 miles at average of 9:23 min/mile pace.
    Decided to try a tempo run. Planned (and actual) was:
    1 mile @ 10 min/mile pace (9:40)
    1 mile @ 9:30 min/mile pace (9:36)
    1 mile @ 9 min/mile pace ( 8:59)
    1 mile @ 8 min/mile pace (8:03, lasted only a half mile)
    1.5 miles @ 10 min/mile pace (9:39 for 2 miles )

Only managed a half mile @ 8 min/mile pace before I had to slow down but not bad for a first attempt. Nice for a change, I was more aware of how I was running and feeling, rather than just pounding along on auto-pilot. A few niggles from the hip/quad area, I’ve been neglecting my stretches so need to get back to that. Another crisp night, the moon’s still nice & bright, starting to get icy though, I think I’d better start getting out a bit earlier.

• Advertisement

25th Nov: 3 miles at 10:00 min/mile pace.
    Took it easy tonight, didn’t fancy the cold and icy footpaths so went to the gym. 3 miles on the treadmill; not took bad, a little boring. Caught my reflection in one of the gym’s many mirrors, turns out I don’t look as graceful running as I thought :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

DigiJem wrote: »
    25th Dec: 3 miles at 10:00 min/mile pace.
    Took it easy tonight, didn’t fancy the cold and icy footpaths so went to the gym. 3 miles on the treadmill; not took bad, a little boring. Caught my reflection in one of the gym’s many mirrors, turns out I don’t look as graceful running as I thought :p

25th Dec...is that wishful thinking you'd be surrounded by turkey and sweets :D

So you're signing up for the full Conn then?

Oops, fixed that.

Yep entered Conn, hopefully it will keep me motivated over the winter. It's not as much fun heading out these evenings as it was during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck with it! I'm registered for the half at Conn, but thinking about switching to the full.

28th Nov: 8 miles at 9:38 min/mile pace.

Very little snow here this morning, mainly ice. Left my run until late afternoon in the hope the sun would thaw out the footpaths. Did a recce in the car and all the paths still looked very bad, so drove very gingerly to a spot I hoped would be safe enough to run. It was laps; each lap was about 600m, some grass, some on tarmacadam.

Found this a tough run, every lap, as I passed my car, I had a little internal voice telling me to hop in. Still glad to get out and get it done.

30th Nov: 3 miles at 9:40 min/mile pace. Out to the Gym, 3 easy miles on the treadmill.

1st Dec: 3 miles at 9:40 min/mile pace. Planned on doing 5 but couldn't hack any more than 30 minutes; I can’t relax at all on the treadmill.

2nd Dec: 3 miles at 9:40 min/mile pace. 3 days in row on a treadmill, feels like groundhog day :(

Rest day tomorrow, I have to get an outdoors run done this weekend or I’ll crack up. Hard to find a positive but at least I’ve done 3 consecutive runs this week; it’s been a long time since I’ve managed that.

5th Dec: 7.5 miles at 10:48 min/mile pace

Yaktraxs finally arrived. I tried them out walking yesterday and they felt pretty good on the soft snow, not as good on the icy paths. They proved very useful for an hour of clearing snow & ice off the paths & driveway yesterday, I’m counting that effort as cross training!

Headed down by the canal today, path is mostly gravel with little traffic. Lots of soft snow; found it tough on the legs but really enjoyed the run. A bit eerie at times, the canal is completely frozen over and you couldn’t see very far ahead with the fog. Parts of it were lovely, wish I had brought the camera. I went very gingerly, I didn’t fancy sliding into the canal :pac: delighted to get outside for a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Lucky you out running, sounds great.
    Did you wear the Yaktraxs? Think with the weather this bad so early going to need to get gym membership (and overcome my fear of treadmills) and some yaktraxs if I am going to survive the winter..;)

I'm pretty impressed with the yaktraxs, I used them today. They seem good on gravel and grass anyway. Hopefully I'll get to try them on the local paths over the next few days.

I did my shorter midweek runs on the treadmills; I only managed 30 mins each day. It's pretty grim but better than nothing.

• Advertisement

9th Dec

Haven't run since the weekend, 101 excuses but very few of them legitimate; just being a lazy sod really. Made it to the gym this evening for 5k on the treadmill, plus some upper body weights.

Need to shake myself for the weekend and get a decent long run done, before the cold weather comes back.

Advertisement