Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best years of my life, well kinda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

15th Jan: Waterford HM

Woke up in Waterford to howling winds outside, I was just a little tempted to get back under the covers. Got to the RSC and sat in the car for ages, not keen to brave the rain & wind. It actually wasn’t that bad once you got out into it, I did a couple of laps of the track and some stretches, then off to the start-line.

The start & first mile went well, took it fairly easy. I saw the 1:50 pacers just ahead of me, stayed with them for about half a mile but eased off towards the end of mile 2. The wind & rain really kicked in once we got onto the Tramore road, I like running in the rain but the wind just whipped it straight into your face and it was not nice. HTFU went through my head many times at this stage.

Found it tough to get into a rhythm, but it improved once I turned for home near the halfway stage. The wind disappeared, and you knew you were homeward bound. Struggled at miles 9 & 10, but tried to keep the pace going. Finally got back to into town, I had nothing really left at the end. Nice to finish on a track, I turned the final bend ready to give one final push but that damn wind was back blowing into my face. Chip time of 1:51:58, very happy with that, a decent improvement on my last HM.

I was freezing afterwards, glad of a hot shower and a coffee. A really great race, will be back next time for sure. Loads of support on the course, which was great considering the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done, I was only 11 seconds behind you. Didnt have the legs to make a last minute sprint at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great running and congrats on that time. That was a fun race :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Seriously great running there yesterday missus, congrats :) I eventually got my much needed hot cup of tea thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I have to fess up and say that I thought I saw you on Saturday, but as we've only met once a good few months ago now, I couldn't remember if it was you and I couldn't remember if you were doing the race either. If I had known I would have chanced introducing myself. :o

And well done on your time. Fantastic! Absolutely brilliant!

• Advertisement

This week’s plan:

Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun
    4m easy|8m pace|4m easy|rest|8m easy|17m LSR|cross

17th Jan: 4 miles at 9:35 min/mile pace

Nice easy run, felt good. Legs felt surprisingly good after the weekend, I think the few rest days last week really helped.

MTD: 85.9

18th Jan: 6 miles at 9:19 min/mile pace

Late evening at work messed up my plans, but glad I forced myself out the door. Tough to keep the pace up on the icy paths, they were fine for most parts just the odd patch to catch you out here and there. Planned to do 8 but only managed 6; cut it short due a combination of a sore right knee and a tummy grumbling loudly for food.

MTD: 91.9

19th Jan: 4 miles @ 9:03 min/mile

A little faster than planned, got carried away with a blast of sunshine. Knee still a little sore so going to take a couple of days off to let it settle down, should be ok for LSR on Saturday.

MTD: 95.9

22rd Jan: 17.3 miles at 9:41 min/mile
    A nice run with the group in the park. I need to start bring gels on these LSRs, I haven’t bothered up to now but I could have used one yesterday.

23rd Jan: 3 miles at 10:04min/mile pace plus 2 miles of hill repeats
    Drove up to the Slieve Blooms to get started on some hillwork. Very grey and foggy on the drive up, but as I got up above the fog, it was crystal clear and the sun was shining. Started with an nice easy 3 miles through a forest trail, a gravel path so my runners were fine.

Then I did my first attempt at hill repeats, up a quarter mile hill of 40m elevation. I managed 4 repeats of 02:51, 02:47, 02:53 & 02:54. Downhill quarter miles were about 3-4 minutes, walked back down for most of it as running downhill seemed to aggravate my knee. A tough session, plan to get more of these done, ideally not after the LSR though. Hopefully once the evenings brighten a bit, I’ll be able to head up there after work.

Was supposed to do another 3 miles to bring the mileage up to the planned 8, but the fog was rolling in and my legs were wrecked so I left it at 5 miles. All in all, a good weekend of running.

Next week’s an easy week with Dungarvan on Sunday.
    rest|4m easy|9m pace|4m easy|rest|rest|Dungarvan 10m

MTD: 118.2

Some very nice pictures of you on racepix from the Waterford half. As per usual, I'm in the background of pictures or half of me is on somebody else's picture! :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

25th Jan: 4 miles at 10:09 min/mile
    4 easy miles, niggles & heavy legs, all a bit grim really.

26th Jan: 5 miles at 9:46min/mile
    Meant to do 9 miles with some at pmp, but didn’t even get close. Shins & knee still a bit sore, so taking a few rest days then I’ll see how it is at the weekend.

MTD: 132.2

30th Jan: Dungarvan 10 mile

On the drive down, I kept a check on how the 24 hour race was going, amazing stuff, can’t help but be inspired by that running. Weather was crisp but really sunny when I got to Dungarvan. Parked at the sports centre and had a lovely warm-up along the seafront (a novelty for a midlander!)

About a 1k jog up to the start area & I met Rubyk and had a chat. It got chilly just standing around so I was glad when it started. A little congested at the start but that sorted itself out once we got into town. A short loop then back out the Youghal road. Felt like I was running at a comfortable pace, plan was for 8:24 min/mile pace but I going faster but it felt ok.

Miles 2 & 3 flew by, was in a group of people running at the same pace which helped. Headed out to a more rural part, still a lot of support, lots of kids waving Waterford flags. Past the 5-mile mark, and the clock read 41:35. A few doubts crept in about whether I’d blow up for the last few miles, but I felt good so kept the pace going.

A few little hills between miles 5 and 6, each followed by a nice downhill section. My knee didn’t like the downhill sections though nothing too bad, this was the only time it flared up today. There was a lovely part between mile 7 & 8, a really flat bit running alongside a river, it gave me a bit of a rest before a shortish climb back onto the N25 heading into town.

One last drag here that RubyK had warned me about it. Once it was climbed I knew I was almost there, pushed it a hard as I could for the last half mile, even managed a little bit of a sprint at the end. Delighted with the time (1:22:44); 2 minutes faster than my Frank Duffy 10 mile time last year.

A lovely course, the first race that I recollect most of the running as flat/downhill, I’m sure a lot of people grabbed a PB today. It’s rare that I notice the scenery during a race but today was lovely, maybe it was the sunshine.

I’ve been spoilt in January with 3 great races; I have to get back to Conn training in earnest now, February’s going to be a long month :p

MTD: 142.2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on knocking 2 mins off the Frank Duffy 10 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Lovely to meet you yesterday DigiJem :) That was a super run you did, you lost me after a half mile :pac: Best of luck with the rest of your Conn training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done yesterday! Great run :)

Absolutely fantastic running, great time! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats, that's a great time :)

DigiJem wrote: »
    30th Jan: Dungarvan 10 mile

I’ve been spoilt in January with 3 great races; I have to get back to Conn training in earnest now, February’s going to be a long month :p

MTD: 142.2

Emmm you mean this wasn't part of the training for Conn...what plan are you following :eek:

Well done on a great time :D

1st Feb: 4 miles@ 9:53 min/mile

A nice easy 4 miles this evening. Heading to the Pool/Stoke game so missing a day this week. I'm not doing too well getting that 5th day of training in. Anyway, this weeks plan:

rest|4m|rest|9m|rest|9m|19m

MTD: 146.2

3rd Feb: 7.75 miles

Back up to Glenregan forest, not so nice up there today, rain & blustery wind.

Warmed up with 1.5 miles through the forest @ 10 mile/mile pace. Then 4 quarter mile hill repeats of 2:27, 2:24, 2:34 & 2:27 with recovery sections of 3 to 3.5 mins. Picked an easier hill than last time, as the wind made it very tough.

Then finished with 4.25 miles @ 10:28 min/mile pace. Ran up the track up toward Dossaun, lots of long uphill drags but nothing too severe. Got about half way up before the legs decided they wanted to head back to the car.

A little shy of the planned mileage but a good session none the less. Soaked and nicely wrecked at the end.

MTD: 11.75
    YTD: 153.95

• Advertisement

5th Feb: 19.2 miles, pace 9:43 min/mile
    Started out in the rain, but nothing too heavy. Kept to an easy pace, and listened to one of the Marathon talk podcasts which I finally downloaded. It really helped pass the time and was a nice change from music. Back to the car after 10 miles for a gel & a drink. I haven’t taken a gel since DCM, I’d forgotten how ugggh they taste. The last 9 miles wasn't that great, got a bit fed up of the rain, my headphones packed in, and I nearly got tripped up by a over-friendly german shepherd. Anyway, job done, at the start I was sure I’d tag on the extra mile to make it 20, but I was happy to get to 19 in the end.

6th Feb: 9.1 miles, pace 10:16 min/mile
    Left this run until this evening as my legs were pretty stiff from yesterday. Out the door after the footie, no rain at that stage and did the first 3 miles at 10:30 pace. Sped up a little after that but not much, I didn’t have to try too hard to keep the pace down today. Rain started about half way so another drenching. Home to a 10 minute soak in cold bath which will hopefully help the tired legs.

MTD: 40.05
    YTD: 182.25

Next week’s plan:
    rest|5m|10m|5m|rest|10m|20m

8th Feb: 5.1 miles, pace 9:35 min/mile

Tried to push the pace a little this evening but found it tough with the wind and rain. 1 mile warmup, 3 miles @ pmp and slowed for the last mile; a nice enough run.

MTD: 45.15
    YTD: 187.35

9th Feb: 10 miles, pace 10:21 min/mile

Late home, so rushed dinner into me before heading out into the rain. I felt tired and jaded before I started so I knew tonight was going to be a struggle. It was, tummy felt dodgy from the off and I had to banish thoughts about heading home several times. To top it off, I tripped over a payment slab at around 7 miles, didn’t hit the ground but jarred my knee and there was a shooting pain up my quad. It felt ok after I walked for a couple hundred yards, and I took it easy for the remainder of the run. A thankfully rare crappy run...end of moan!

DigiJem wrote: »
    9th Feb: 10 miles, pace 10:21 min/mile

Late home, so rushed dinner into me before heading out into the rain. I felt tired and jaded before I started so I knew tonight was going to be a struggle. It was, tummy felt dodgy from the off and I had to banish thoughts about heading home several times. To top it off, I tripped over a payment slab at around 7 miles, didn’t hit the ground but jarred my knee and there was a shooting pain up my quad. It felt ok after I walked for a couple hundred yards, and I took it easy for the remainder of the run. A thankfully rare crappy run...end of moan!

Well done for finishing the run - 10 miles under those conditions is no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

Thats great to finish 10 miles when your not feeling like doing them.Fair play.

11th Feb: 3 miles, pace 9:03 min/mile

Knee was sore yesterday so skipped the planned 5 mile run, and iced it. Did a quick lunchtime run today so see how it was & no problems at all running; only a little twinge hopping up onto a kerb. So hopefully all good for 20 miler tomorrow. Really enjoyed todays run, felt I was flying it, well its fast for me anyway

That's some good mileage you're getting in there - nice work. Hope the knee sorts itself out soon.

12th Feb: 20 miles @ 9:46 min/mile

A lovely run in the park today, a nice sunny day with good company which always makes it easier. Glad to get the first 20 miles of the plan completed, and felt good for most of it. Wind picked up a bit for the last few miles which made it tougher, or maybe I was just knackered.

Anyway home for a wee granny power nap, not sure yet what I'll do tomorrow; tempted to get out on the bike for a change if the weather is nice.

13th Feb: 30k cycle @ 24.39 km/hour

Didn’t get out the door in time to get the best of the weather, the first 10k was lovely and sunny then the heavens opened. Still, it wasn’t very windy so a nice ride. Has hoped to get 40k done today but I ran out of daylight and my rear light wasn’t working, I only had a small led one as a spare. Still, it loosened up the legs after yesterday and I think did me more good than a run today.

MTD: 78.15
    YTD: 220.35

Next week’s a step week:

rest|5m|6m|5m|rest|10m|12m

• Advertisement

Nice to meet you again on Saturday. Glad you kept the female flag flying when we left you.:)

Advertisement