Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wanting to try target

Options
  • 08-03-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

i currently shoot a howa 1500 sporter .308 and am thinking of buying a target rifle. can anyone suggest a rifle and if staying with .308 is the right choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SD308

It depends really on the type of target shooting you are looking to do. If its long range shooting at say 800 – 1000 yards such as F-Class, then the .308 is perfect. It will allow you to shoot the F-TR category which is cheaper to get started in than F-Open.

In terms of what rifle to get, I would recommend the Savage F-TR. You won’t get better “off the shelf” accuracy. Buy it, stick a bi-pod and scope on it and then the only reason you won’t be sticking them all in the V-Bull will be you!;)

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

im a member of the midlands and shooting 800 to 1000 yards appeals to me. but only tried 200 so far.

the savage sounds good but i would like something i can get a pistol stock for do you know if these can be got for the savage?

what kind of scope would you recommend?

tommy:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Would agree with SD308 on the Savage and if you would like something with a different style stock then you could go for the FTR and buy a stock like this or to eliminate the need for the change of stock go for the Palma

In relation to scopes, i'm slightly biased, but i'd say Nightforce all the way. They are expensive but not compared to S&B or Swarovski and they are every bit as good (or better in my eyes). Something in an 8-32x56 (BR or NXS model)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I'm no target shooter, but what would be wrong in getting a match barrel fitted to the howa and stuck in a good stock. Saves changing the rifle and licence issues. Somehow I'd prefer that to a savage anyday.
    edi

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i would like something i can get a pistol stock for do you know if these can be got for the savage?

what kind of scope would you recommend?:D

There are more and more companies doing stocks for the Savage F-TR these days so you should be able to find what you’re looking for.

As for a scope, Nightforce and Leupold have been what most would go for in an F-Class scope. Sightron are getting great reviews from the states and they have a new 10-50x60 with 1/8moa clicks about to be released in the uk which would be worth a look, especially because at about €1000 it is by far the best value and is not quite as heavy as the Nightforce.

ejg wrote: »
    what would be wrong in getting a match barrel fitted to the howa and stuck in a good stock.

This would be a perfectly viable option. My own rifle was custom built from parts I chose myself. If you are going to go down the route of having a rifle custom built for F-TR I would recommend that you speak to as many F-TR shooters as you can and take their advice to heart. The worst thing you can do is build the rifle "you think" would be perfect F-TR only to find out later that you should have gone for something completely different. Also, there is an 18.18lbs weight limit for F-TR which includes the scope and bi-pod.

I love my custom rifle but for someone starting out I would recommend the Savage as it is the quickest, cheapest and most reliable way of getting started in F-TR. Plus if you decide down the line that F-TR is not for you, then it will be much easier to sell on a Savage F-TR than something you had built to your own tastes.

Stephen.

• Advertisement

i looked at buying a remington 700 sps heavy varmint and buying an accuracy international stock from sporting services in the uk. has anyone seen this done before?

i looked at buying a remington 700 sps heavy varmint and buying an accuracy international stock from sporting services in the uk. has anyone seen this done before?

That is exactly what I did, except I bought a Remy VLS only because I liked the finish better than the SPS. I stuck it in an AICS stock and it work ok out to about 800 yards.
    I then looked at having a 30" custom barrel and a CG Jackson trigger fitted to the Remy action but at the last minute I decided to go the whole hog and get a Surgeon Target action instead of keeping the Remy.

I love the AICS stock but the only thing bad I would say about it is that the hook on the bottom of the butt stock provides a poor surface for riding the rear bag during recoil. I am currently working on fitting a custom bag rider to improve this.

Stephen.

i had a savage model ten .308 and i liked the accu trigger on it but not the rifle. i think the savage ftr might be the way to get me started.

i will also look in to sigtron scope aswel. thanks for all the advice.

just have one last query im a member of the midlands do you know if there is anyone in the club that does coaching for beginners in shooting full bore as i thought myself to shoot using .22 at 50 yards but cant seem to get a hang of shooting the .308 and am not that confident to try shoot any further than 200 yards.

tommy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

....................just have one last query im a member of the midlands do you know if there is anyone in the club that does coaching for beginners in shooting full bore ..........

PM sent.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement