Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More money grabbing tactics

• 08-03-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Listening today to Joe Duffy's show, when a bemused motorist rang in to explain that, in a nutshell, he has to get his car NCT'd, before it will be accepted by a main dealer as part of the scrappage scheme!! He checked with all relevant bodies, including NCT people, who verified that it won't be accepted without having DONE the test, even if it fails, thats ok!!!!
    So, whats the point you ask, in putting a car through the NCT, even if it is going to fail, prior to it being crushed? It's obviously just a means of screwing more cash from the motorist, prior to him or her, taking ownership of their new (NCT Free) car. Never mind the Taxes that the Government takes in from the purchase, and the jobs that are safeguarded, = income tax and no dole payments. Just how greedy are this government going to get and how soft are we as a Massively Powerful Voting Group, to just keep on bending over and saying "More Please!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I am not sure what your point is..

He will get way over market value for his banger so who cares if he has to pay for the NCT first.. anyway essentially the government are paying for it via the scrappage cash.... creating work and helping protect jobs.

That's good right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So don't pay €50 for the test and don't take the €1500 scrappage allowance if you think they're that greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i think the reasonong behind this is because, the scrappage scheme is to take older cars of the road and replace them with newer cleaner cars........
    so to ensure that they are taking older cars that are used on the roads off.. they are required to have an NCT...
    otherwise the scheme is open to abuse by people dragging pieces of crap that are lying around in their back/front gardens, that havent been driven in years on the road.....
    if these cars are taken.. then the scheme to help clean up car emmissions isnt working....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Man listens to Joe Duffy, develops righteous anger. Shocking.

In fairness, that is pretty weired. I would have assumed that only cars that passed the NCT would be eligible for scrappage.

I thought the idea was to take old cars off the road, off the market, and replace them with new ones. If they hadn't passed the NCT, then they weren't on the road anyway, right?

That said, I don't think Joe's audience would have been even less enthusiastic about a sensible scheme. This has the whiff of last minute editing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Anan1 wrote: »
    So don't pay €50 for the test and don't take the €1500 scrappage allowance if you think they're that greedy.

I think they're being greedy for taking a big wedge BACK from you in purchase tax/ VRT/ VAT / or anything you wish to call it, offsetting the amount that they "apparently" put into the scheme and then insisting that you pay to have a car tested, just to allow it to fail, or else you won't get your scrappage allowance. It strikes me as begrudgery almost, squeezing the last from you, before you embark on a few years of NCT free driving. It's just another example of the numerous, spurious means of extracting every penny possible from the motorist. I pay what I pay, complain sometimes ( well often then) about motor/road tax, but it's my choice to pay what I pay for the pleasure of driving what I choose to drive, but being blackmailed almost, into putting a car through a "Roadworthiness safety test" prior to crushng is either insanity or inspired! I accept your point, but still feel it's a moneygrabbing scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

robtri wrote: »
    i think the reasonong behind this is because, the scrappage scheme is to take older cars of the road and replace them with newer cleaner cars........
    so to ensure that they are taking older cars that are used on the roads off.. they are required to have an NCT...
    otherwise the scheme is open to abuse by people dragging pieces of crap that are lying around in their back/front gardens, that havent been driven in years on the road.....
    if these cars are taken.. then the scheme to help clean up car emmissions isnt working....
    The caller that was obliged to have his car tested, knew it would fail, ergo, it wasn't, at that point in time roadworthy, and would have been issued with a "fail" cert, to illustrate same. But once he actually SAT the test (and failed) he was eligible to avail of the scheme, which rather negates the whole point that "Cars must be roadworthy etc." By sitting the test, he was proving that his car was not roadworthy. So what other reason is there but to extract more money from the motorist?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

sogood wrote: »
    The caller that was obliged to have his car tested, knew it would fail, ergo, it wasn't, at that point in time roadworthy, and would have been issued with a "fail" cert, to illustrate same. But once he actually SAT the test (and failed) he was eligible to avail of the scheme, which rather negates the whole point that "Cars must be roadworthy etc." By sitting the test, he was proving that his car was not roadworthy. So what other reason is there but to extract more money from the motorist?

X2^. This makes no sense :confused:.

Its bad enough to have to get a car tested to prove its roadworthy when you know full well that it is but to have to do the same just to fail so you can get it crushed is lunacy IMO :rolleyes:. Of course, if there wasn't some money to be made from it, this wouldn't be the case ;).

Advertisement