Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playground equipment

Options
  • 08-03-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am planning on building the kids a swing-set things, climbing frame and monkey bars- that kind of things. Can anyone suggest places to buy the fitting in Ireland? Something similar to this place. Also, what kind of wood should I use - pressure treated, i would imagine - but does it matter what kind?

Cheers,

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

i would definitely use pressure treated timber but it might be easier to source non round timber to make it. might not be very available, could probably get the parts you need made up locally or if you knew anyone involved in metal trade welder/ fitter. make up a design of what you plan to build and work out the various brackets etc you will need could get them galvinised or made from stainless steel so they would last.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

what do you mean by 'non round' timber? I had planned on buying the hardware separately - just really the wood I need the advice on.

sorry i mistook the link thought they only sold the brackets etc. pressure treated timber is generally red deal but if you wanted could maybe use something like cedar which is resistant to rot etc but can be quite soft sometimes. teak would also be a good hardwearing timber but could turn into an expensive swing that way. got some good pressure treated timber once they were non grooved red deal decking boards but were quite smooth perfect for what you need. think they were got in cunninghams in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

I live in limerick - where is Cunningham's - I am not native to Limerick, i usually get all my wood from Mcmahons.

Thanks for your reply.

i dont know to be honest because my stuff used to be delivered i live in galway but this is the crowd you are looking for afaik.
    http://www.cunninghamsgarden.ie/
    i used use it to make garden furniture and it was perfect for that

• Advertisement
Advertisement