Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIG Welder

• 09-03-2010 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a TIG welder?

Have been thinking of buying one but do not know what spec I would need.

It would have to be single phase as I do not have access to 3 phase.

I want it for welding aluminum. I recently needed to get something welded and could not get it done locally for love nor money.

Ideally it should be able to weld up to 8-10 mm if possible at single phase.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Does it have to be TIG? Single phase MIG will do the same job

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Never used mig for it but it can be done. for alu and only ever used 3 phase tig as you need a huge amount of heat which in turn draws a lot of amps. best ring up the likes of kelly's welding supplies in Dublin. Very helpfull. I hade a great single pahse tig plat for site work but only had DC for stainless. dont think you can get a small plant for Alu. What kinda money do you have if you dont mind me asking. A decnet plant could cost a couple of grand

Advertisement