Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Horizon, Tue March 9th, 9PM

Options
  • 09-03-2010 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

The title says it all. Don't worry mods - I won't make a habit of creating a thread for every programme of interest.

Ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rgg31

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Horizon is hardly worthy of its name these days but this is a sufficiently intriguing concept so I'll watch. More here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

mike65 wrote: »
    Horizon is hardly worthy of its name these days but this is a sufficiently intriguing concept so I'll watch. More here

Why do you say that ?? I think it's a great programme....

you mean it's not as good as it used to be ?

did you see the recent one on gravity/black holes ? -- that was excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Kevster wrote: »
    The title says it all. Don't worry mods - I won't make a habit of creating a thread for every programme of interest.

Ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rgg31

Why not keep us updated if You find a show Kevster?Mods on this forum use a very light hand not to mention that it is relevent to inquisitive minds:)
    Well Mods must use a very light hand as i am still allowed post here!:)

Regarding your thoughts that the 2nd Sun is actually in Your pocket as you stated on another thread,well that came as news to me as i had the impression that You thought it actually shone from yar Ar**:p:)

Oh and the river erm, what timezone and side of the dateline is it?;)

keep them coming Kev i have both set to record tonight and if my puny mind:o cannot comprehend i will ask You to explain!:pac::pac::pac:
    and that's a threat promise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Anyone watch tonights episode about dark matter/energy/flow.
    I've had a distant interest in astronomy/cosmolgy for years now but just adding "dark" in front of something and add it into an equation just seems very wrong to me.
    It was interesting though (apart from telling us 50times how the universe was started)

Horizon has been getting better recently after it went through its terrible presenter based period. I've always found it was best when talking about physics based subjects
    I agree with you. In my opinion, it was a mistake to 'invent' dark matter/energy in the first place just to accomodate our equations. Also, as far as I'm aware, current experiments have shown no direct sign yet of their existence. To add a further unknowns to our equations (i.e. dark flow) just seems wrong to me. The equations should have been reformulated before dark matter/energy were added...

...but what am I? - i'm just a PhD student in genetics/cancer. Please be gentle...!

ynotdu, thanks for your 'kind' post. What ya think of the show?

Forget dark matter, inflation is a far worse "conceit" to my mind, fancy the universe expanding to just the right size for a nano-second to fix the problem of a universe thats uniformly cold.

Dark Matter, Dark Flow and Inflation, all somewhat fanciful all happen to "fit" but only because man has chosen them to fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

mike65 wrote: »
    Forget dark matter, inflation is a far worse "conceit" to my mind, fancy the universe expanding to just the right size for a nano-second to fix the problem of a universe thats uniformly cold.

Dark Matter, Dark Flow and Inflation, all somewhat fanciful all happen to "fit" but only because man has chosen them to fit.

That's why they're theories. No-one has said they definitely exist, this is just the way we can best explain how the universe came about atm. As the fella at the end said, we need to find an extra clue.

I thought it was a decent enough show.

Anyone watch Sky at Night on BBC4 8-9pm? Twas a SETI themed prog but the most interesting notion put foward regarded anyone being able to find us - our calling card to the universe is radiowaves and they are going out of fashion. It was noted how the era of powerful transmissions began after WW2 but that we might already be at the end of that age with the adoption of low powered systems to receive radio and tv. So the "doughnut of transmission" could end up being just a century wide.

Maybe we should make sure that a number of million watt signals are kept running forever.

Mike, I definately saw a recent Sky at Night programme about SETI, but don't remember them talkiung about what you've described. Between that, Horizon, and the other doc. on BBC recently, I can't keep track of which programe a certain thing I've seen was in (...confused?).

I do remember one guy on Sky at Night being skeptical about the way SETI conducts itself, and I remember very much agreeing with him. However, long before I had even watched that show, I never saw the point of just searching for signals with radiowaves.

Thats the programme - skeptical guy was on it (not sure when that edition first went out, I assumed it was recent). Someone (maybe him) also noted what a chemical fluke it was that life began here and that you shouldn't presume that billions of stars equals countless planets a % of upon which life will flourish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 alexjmorrey

A very interesting program but mind bending indeed.

I think that the reason that answers cannot be found to questions such as:-

1) How did the universe come to be?

2) What is it made of?

3)How did life get into inanimate matter before evolution could begin anywhere in the universe?

4) What is the so-called dark energy that fills the universe?

5) What is the so-called dark matter and the dark flow?

The reason why there are as yet no satisfactory answers to such guestions as the above is because we are thinking about the universe in the wrong way. We are assuming that the universe is a consequence of objective fact, meaning that it came to be in time long past one way or another.

Just suppose that we don't take the objective nature of the universe for granted but think of it as a consequence of unconscious collective belief instead? To begin with is seems to be a more mind concept then ever but when we get our minds into thinking in this way it can come up with the answers.

The best of British luck!

alexjmorrey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

A very interesting program but mind bending indeed.

I think that the reason that answers cannot be found to questions such as:-

1) How did the universe come to be?

2) What is it made of?

3)How did life get into inanimate matter before evolution could begin anywhere in the universe?

4) What is the so-called dark energy that fills the universe?

5) What is the so-called dark matter and the dark flow?

The reason why there are as yet no satisfactory answers to such guestions as the above is because we are thinking about the universe in the wrong way. We are assuming that the universe is a consequence of objective fact, meaning that it came to be in time long past one way or another.

Just suppose that we don't take the objective nature of the universe for granted but think of it as a consequence of unconscious collective belief instead? To begin with is seems to be a more mind concept then ever but when we get our minds into thinking in this way it can come up with the answers.

The best of British luck!

alexjmorrey
    Sorry Alex but I think you should post this in the "Spirituality" section, not here. Here we deal with science and facts not pseudo science and mysticism.

Hi,
    Thanks for the response, your comment is very valid and welcome.
    This is meant to be 21st Century science not spirituality or mysticism. We are spiritual creatures as well as scientists we need to realise this because it’s what gives us life, we’re not machines.
    Facts are still facts in this bigger picture that I’m putting forward. I know it comes as a bit of a shock to think that all events that are perceived as real by human kind can be put into one overall understanding and I’m deadly serious about this ‘new 21st century science’ we can’t just stand still grouping in the dark.
    We’re living in a brave new world, it’s not logical to be afraid of it. Please think again!
    Thanks again.
    alexjmorrey

Beeker wrote: »
    Sorry Alex but I think you should post this in the "Spirituality" section, not here. Here we deal with science and facts not pseudo science and mysticism.

Beeker, I'm sorry too because this is meant to be the new 21st century science not spirituality or mysticism. We are spiritual creatures as well as scientists and we need to realise this because this is what gives us life, we are not machines.

Facts are still facts within this bigger pucture that I'm putting forward. I know that it comes as quite of a shock to think that all events both natural and so-called supernatural can fall within one overall understanding and I'm serious about this 'new 21st century science.' We can't just stand still groping in the dark for too long.

We're living in a brave new world, it's not logical to be afraid of it.

For more please go to:- Do not promote your book here

Please think again.

alexjmorrey

Im one of the most understanding guys around, Alex, but to me that's all meaningless (I'm using the word 'meaningless' here in place of the more crass term 'utter nonsense'). I read the stuff on the website and it just sounds like every other fad theory going around. With words, you can pretty much describe anything in whatever way you want to, which is what you've done. However, This doesn't mean that what you're saying is in any way correct.

If you are so eager (as you seem to be) to get this theory across to everyone, then why don't you give your book away for free? That's right - You won't because a lot of this is about making money.

Kevin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Im one of the most understanding guys around, Alex, but to me that's all meaningless (I'm using the word 'meaningless' here in place of the more crass term 'utter nonsense'). I read the stuff on the website and it just sounds like every other fad theory going around. With words, you can pretty much describe anything in whatever way you want to, which is what you've done. However, This doesn't mean that what you're saying is in any way correct.

If you are so eager (as you seem to be) to get this theory across to everyone, then why don't you give your book away for free? That's right - You won't because a lot of this is about making money.

Kevin
    Well said Kevster! I think Alex you will find most posters on this forum are very open minded, it goes with the territory. We all have an interest and love for science. We all believe in the power of critical thinking and embrace new ideas and concepts.
    But in saying that it is also necessary to expect all new ideas to be "testable", to be able to seek the truth through established scientific methods. Theories are just good ideas that help to explain the world around us, but these theories must logically agree with known physical truths or well-established physical laws.

As I said most of us here are open minded but not so open as to let our brains fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Well said Kevster! I think Alex you will find most posters on this forum are very open minded, it goes with the territory. We all have an interest and love for science. We all believe in the power of critical thinking and embrace new ideas and concepts.
    But in saying that it is also necessary to expect all new ideas to be "testable", to be able to seek the truth through established scientific methods. Theories are just good ideas that help to explain the world around us, but these theories must logically agree with known physical truths or well-established physical laws.

As I said most of us here are open minded but not so open as to let our brains fall out.

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." (Lawrence Peter Berra)

Kevin

I’m not surprised, it’s the history of science isn’t it Kevin? A vivid visual scientifically orientated imagination is necessary and a good knowledge of a range of diverse subjects such as physics, religion (all religions) and hypnotism, as well as astronomy and geology are necessary. Above all it is necessary to be objective and specific in your objections otherwise your comments amount to prejudice. You will need to work at it a bit.

A theory like this needs to be put into mathematical format and after watching the BBC Horizon program it looks as though one already exists because the ideas such as dark energy, dark matter and dark flow originating from the mathematics being used in the presentation can be explained by the theory of the universal belief.

As for making money that’s a joke, up to date it’s cost me about a 1000 times as much as book sales have brought in.

Thanks for your interest.

Alex

In the Brochure I suggest ways of proving the theory of the universal belief. The trouble is that science is not used to thinking about so-called supernatural events in a scientific way. Half the population think that it can’t be done, the other half think that it shouldn’t even be attempted. All science starts with good ideas, as you say, and sometimes it takes 50 years or so for good ides to become accepted scientific principals.

Do any of you really think that current science knows very much about what is perceived to be reality. For example, why is the speed of light about 186,000 miles per second? It is taken be a matter of fact currently isn’t it. We have ambitions to go the stars but un order to achieve this relativity will have to be severely upgraded or replaced and the so-called big bang theory leaves a lot to be desired. Do you think that if we try to develop the ability to walking on water our brains will drop out?

Have fun!

Alex

Stargate wrote: »
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." (Lawrence Peter Berra)

Very good Lawrence!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personally I think dark matter and energy are nonsense values showhorned in because the observable facts simply dont match the basic theory.

I say the basic theory is up in smoke or at least a major part of it is. I mean the very notion that something like 95% of the universe is "dark" would suggest someone has their sums wrong, or....

My take to make the maths work* is that the bit that's missing from the sums is evidence of a "second" universe laying alongside our one. Like an iceberg. We observe and are part of the top bit above the water line, but the vast bulk lies beneath. To understand the whole we have to think about, or try to extrapolate the underwater part. Evidence for this? Well the "missing" energy/matter required to make the sums work. Its not missing, its "under the water". We may only ever be able to see its influence, rather than observe it directly. Movement there will effect the top bit. Gravity. Its actually a weak enough force. It should be stronger, so why isnt it? Cos its again under the water.

Maybe to really stretch the analogy :o OK The ice is all matter and all energy and dimensions. Ice above and ice below the waterline. The waterline is an ultimate event horizon. The entire universe may "bob" up and down in cycles. So "in between" time, reality is a flat ocean. The universe, at least the universe we see came about by pushing up through that during the big bang. Its still pushing up(expansion) and will reach a point where it will equal out, stop and then start to bob back down and at some point go back under the waterline again. Rinse and repeat. As an side maybe black holes are holes in the ice where we can peak at what lies beneath?

Then of course the question is raised, where did that universe come from. I would say that the notion themselves of where and when are concepts that form within this universe and actually dont make sense to the whole. In any case unless we become penguins :) and swim down we can never know. I'll call this the Uniberg (tm) Theory :D

* To be clear, I run outa maths ability when I run outa finger so.... :s

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I had originally given your post 'thanks', Wibbs, until I started reading your penultimate paragraph (where you 'stretch' your theory). Once I began reading that, I instantly decided to remove my thanks because what you said in that paragraph is simply not new. All you do is explain the expansion/contraction theory of the Universe in a different way. That's nothing new. You honestly sounded like every other whack-job out there.

I'll admit that I liked what you said at the start ("Personally I think dark matter and energy are nonsense values showhorned in because the observable facts simply dont match the basic theory"), however, as I share your opinions there too.

Kevin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wibbs wrote: »
    Gravity. Its actually a weak enough force. It should be stronger, so why isnt it? Cos its again under the water.

Not the craziest idea, and it has in fact been put forward as a reason for gravity being a weaker force. More precisely it is thought that gravity can "leak" into other dimensions. This is particularly evident in string theory actually where there is a necessity for higher dimensions. Gravity arises from closed strings which can "float away" from our 4 dimensions and into the other 6.

I will say this - There is absolutely no reason why all matter should interact with electromagnetic forces.
    * To be clear, I run outa maths ability when I run outa finger so.... :s

This is, unfortunately, where things start to get tricky. At a certain point it becomes a necessity to have a proper mathematical understanding in order to formulate a theory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had originally given your post 'thanks', Wibbs, until I started reading your penultimate paragraph (where you 'stretch' your theory). Once I began reading that, I instantly decided to remove my thanks because what you said in that paragraph is simply not new. All you do is explain the expansion/contraction theory of the Universe in a different way. That's nothing new. You honestly sounded like every other whack-job out there.
    I get that a lot :D TBH I dont buy the expansion/contraction model at all. Whether its described as a balloon blowing up or a dodgy looking iceberg. :D I think we're missing a huge piece of the puzzle and all the current models are outa whack. String theory expansion/contraction, the lot. They do appear to explain certain aspects of the whole but when the theory deviates from the observable to that degree, somethings got to give. Now you could argue teh observing bit is the problem and then you get dark matter, but its too pat an answer. Its like filling in the blanks on a map with "here be dragons" and then giving them names.

To find the huge piece missing will need a whole new theory. Maybe dropping some sacred cows. The speed of light as a constant, extra dimensions, expansion, confidence in measuring cosmological distances, maybe even the notion of the big bang itself. Delete as applicable.

Question actually to the physics bods. Why do we need the universe to start at a singularity? Could it start at the point of what we call expansion? That the expansion part is the start and there was no before? Now if we see its expanding it makes sense that if we go all the way back it went to a point, but is it possible that it didnt? I know, even the word "start" has issues, but Im just wondering

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs, as far as I'm aware, most don't actually believe that everything started at a single point called a singularity. They just refer to that model because it is the best at describing what we see today in the Universe. I am 100% with you on the notion of Dark Matter/Energy though. It's unfortunate that it'll probably take a huge effort to overthrow our old beliefs about things though.

Question actually to the physics bods. Why do we need the universe to start at a singularity? Could it start at the point of what we call expansion? That the expansion part is the start and there was no before? Now if we see its expanding it makes sense that if we go all the way back it went to a point, but is it possible that it didnt? I know, even the word "start" has issues, but Im just wondering

I'm not a cosmologist so someone else will likely have a better answer, but it's merely the best guess we have from our observations and current theories. Knowing precisely what happened at "the start" and whether it was a singularity or something else it likely beyond us until we develop a proper theory of quantum gravity as general relativity completely breaks down in any scenario we can currently envision for the beginning of the universe.
    To find the huge piece missing will need a whole new theory. Maybe dropping some sacred cows. The speed of light as a constant, extra dimensions, expansion, confidence in measuring cosmological distances, maybe even the notion of the big bang itself. Delete as applicable.

The problem with the idea of merely dropping these ideas is that they aren't put in by hand. The constancy of the speed of light is almost beyond reproach. It has been tested and verified umpteen times and dropping it would have an enormous impact on all physics as we know it (and would make it all wrong actually!). Extra dimensions are actually an interesting one. There's no "need" for them currently, but if string theory is correct (and it may well not be, it looks good but no one will claim its verified) then they are a complete and utter necessity for a whole host of reasons. Physicists didn't "put them in" to try and explain something, they're just inherent in the theory. Without them the causal nature of the universe would break down as just one example.

The big bang is merely the best theory we currently have to describe the beginnings of the universe. It's not correct (actually, calling it not complete might be a better turn of phrase). It needs modification but there is a lot of evidence for it being at least largely correct. It's not a "sacred cow" though - there is a lot of work going in to understanding it better/modifying it or even coming up with a completely new idea. You'd need a pretty convincing case to say its completely wrong though.
    I am 100% with you on the notion of Dark Matter/Energy though. It's unfortunate that it'll probably take a huge effort to overthrow our old beliefs about things though.

Dark matter/energy don't particularly bother me but there are a huge number of physicists for whom it is quite unpalatable. There is great effort going into understanding what they are and if they actually exist. It's not as if we just threw a crazy name out there for something we couldn't quite fit into the theory and then decided everything was done and dusted.

I might point out that many, many people had similar problems with quantum mechanics when it was first postulated, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't believe it now. Dark Matter/Energy are things we don't understand at the moment, but are probably seen as somewhat more mystical than they need to be. Dark matter isn't such a conundrum to be honest, it's not that weird, dark energy is a matter for great concern though and it needs to be understood a lot better. It may turn out to be something entirely explainable.

I get that a lot :D TBH I dont buy the expansion/contraction model at all. Whether its described as a balloon blowing up or a dodgy looking iceberg. :D I think we're missing a huge piece of the puzzle and all the current models are outa whack. String theory expansion/contraction, the lot. They do appear to explain certain aspects of the whole but when the theory deviates from the observable to that degree, somethings got to give. Now you could argue teh observing bit is the problem and then you get dark matter, but its too pat an answer. Its like filling in the blanks on a map with "here be dragons" and then giving them names.

Wibbs,

The iceberg of which you speak is a pretty good analogy of the human mind both collective or the individual. Part of which is the conscious mind that is above awareness level; above sea level as you put it, the other part is the unconscious mind that is below awareness level, to which we have do direct access so we tend to ignore its presence. Furthermore this ‘polarisation’ of minds; the conscious and the unconscious, distorts our current understanding which is the root cause of the problem we have in attempting to grasp the ‘big’ picture.

However, what we can do is to allow the two minds to merge into one integrated mind that will inevitability be below awareness level and it will then contain the whole ‘picture.’ This means that we can never have a integrated conscious understanding of the ‘truth’ of what we perceive as the universe but we can live in that ‘truth’ by living in, what I refer to as our Real self because this is what we become when we allow our polarised mind to become one mind, it is actually a healing process.

It is too easy to get carried away with that awesome conscious collective mind around us that is in the form of the of the so-called scientific consensus.

The implications of this way of thinking are stunning!

There is a web site that talks about this in considerable detail. If you haven’t already done so please take a peep.

Posting this link again will result in a ban

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm not a cosmologist so someone else will likely have a better answer, but it's merely the best guess we have from our observations and current theories. Knowing precisely what happened at "the start" and whether it was a singularity or something else it likely beyond us until we develop a proper theory of quantum gravity as general relativity completely breaks down in any scenario we can currently envision for the beginning of the universe.
    Gotcha.
    The constancy of the speed of light is almost beyond reproach. It has been tested and verified umpteen times and dropping it would have an enormous impact on all physics as we know it (and would make it all wrong actually!).
    Oh I agree. It would be a tad troublesome if it wasnt a constant. :) I mean over time though. We're 99.999999 % sure the speed of light in a vacuum is a constant here and now at this moment of observation*, but could it have been faster in the distant past? I say faster as I would assume if there was a speed diff over time it would slow not speed up. Would this help with the inflation issue if it was faster at that point? Balance the books as it were. Would it help with other observable issues? A slowing down of the speed of light over time would mean a load of headaches though. Distances would have to be rejigged for one.
    Extra dimensions are actually an interesting one. There's no "need" for them currently, but if string theory is correct (and it may well not be, it looks good but no one will claim its verified) then they are a complete and utter necessity for a whole host of reasons. Physicists didn't "put them in" to try and explain something, they're just inherent in the theory. Without them the causal nature of the universe would break down as just one example.
    Gotcha. I suppose I dont mean "put them in" as an arbitrary thing. I mean in the sense of here's the theory, it requires x to work. Kinda like dark matter/energy. In the case of the evolution of the universe the X is so outa whack with what we can observe now at any rate, that its seems like a shoehorn.
    Dark matter/energy don't particularly bother me but there are a huge number of physicists for whom it is quite unpalatable. There is great effort going into understanding what they are and if they actually exist. It's not as if we just threw a crazy name out there for something we couldn't quite fit into the theory and then decided everything was done and dusted.
    I suppose to the amateur looking in it does look a bit like that. Cosmologist "We have this great theory". Amateur "Oh right, yea sounds good". CM "But 99% is missing". A "Wut?" CM "Yea but its grand its there, but its invisible, you see" A *scratches head. Ponders* "here can you do my tax returns?" :)

I might point out that many, many people had similar problems with quantum mechanics when it was first postulated, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't believe it now.
    Yea from my small understanding of it its very elegant.

* OK strange and probably dopey question and I can take the :rolleyes: and flames... :D When we look out on the universe its like looking at a huge time machine into the past. From the moon a second ago to quasars and the like billions of years ago. Could there be hypothetical observers in this universe that are looking at our sun today relative to us, but say a million years in their future? I suppose Im trying to ask is time uniform througout the universe, but appears "in the now" only relative to us the observer?

Oh I agree. It would be a tad troublesome if it wasnt a constant. :) I mean over time though. We're 99.999999 % sure the speed of light in a vacuum is a constant here and now at this moment of observation*, but could it have been faster in the distant past? I say faster as I would assume if there was a speed diff over time it would slow not speed up. Would this help with the inflation issue if it was faster at that point? Balance the books as it were. Would it help with other observable issues? A slowing down of the speed of light over time would mean a load of headaches though. Distances would have to be rejigged for one.

It's an interesting question. It kind of boils down to the same thing that people worry about with regards to why should the outer reaches of the universe have the same physics as here. It's possible they don't, but it would essentially make understanding anything impossible! The problem with the idea of the speed of light slowing over the years, and this causing the massive expansion, is that it doesn't explain the largely homogeneous nature of the sky. It appears the universe looks the same in all directions - if things expanded normally, albeit at a quicker pace, then this simply wouldn't happen. It would be akin to exploding some dynamite and finding a perfect circle of debris.
    Gotcha. I suppose I dont mean "put them in" as an arbitrary thing. I mean in the sense of here's the theory, it requires x to work. Kinda like dark matter/energy. In the case of the evolution of the universe the X is so outa whack with what we can observe now at any rate, that its seems like a shoehorn.

It's a valid query, but it comes down to which is more probable. Dark matter can actually be inferred from Newtonian gravity. The galaxies spin too quickly given the "visible" matter in them. So the question becomes which is more likely - dark matter that only has a gravitational influence, or the very basic concept of gravity we have being wrong? The latter is certainly possible, but it would take both a smarter and braver man than I to think of a better idea.

But I will readily admit that these things are not fully understood. They do arise from experimental observation and are things that need to be explained. However, currently all we can say is that we have enormously successful theories that seem to break down on this scale. Whether something is missing or we're just taking the entire wrong approach is an important question, but the evidence currently swings towards us having to come up with an explanation of dark energy rather than binning GR.
    I suppose to the amateur looking in it does look a bit like that. Cosmologist "We have this great theory". Amateur "Oh right, yea sounds good". CM "But 99% is missing". A "Wut?" CM "Yea but its grand its there, but its invisible, you see" A *scratches head. Ponders* "here can you do my tax returns?"

Tis the problem of "popular science". I think it's great that people take an interest in these things, and there will undoubtedly be people who approach it from the same angle as yourselves who end up having a greater impact on the field than myself, but they will be in a minority. There is a reason that mathematics has become the language in which we describe physics. It provides a perfect framework, as far as we know, for the universe and it isn't possible to throw away merely mathematical ideas. They are the very basis for physics as we know it today. There is an issue that theoretical physics has powered ahead of experimental physics, which is a new phenomenon, but a mathematical framework is essential to any physical theory. Essentially, mathematical physics provides more options than exist in the real world, but nothing happens in the real world that can't be explained through mathematical physics. White holes are equally as plausible as black holes mathematically, but as far as we know only black holes exist. We simply wouldn't have gotten anywhere over the last 100 years without theoretical physics though.

To summarise, no one is thrilled about dark matter/energy, it's merely the best guess we have at the moment. Something has to be there though. It's probably reported as being more definitive than any of us take it to be.
    Could there be hypothetical observers in this universe that are looking at our sun today relative to us, but say a million years in their future? I suppose Im trying to ask is time uniform througout the universe, but appears "in the now" only relative to us the observer?

Well, people a million light years away will see us in "the present" a million years from now. Time is not uniform throughout the universe - the important factor is causality. Causality states that I can't see something happening before it's happened (essentially), and what someone does 20 years from now won't affect what I'm doing now. "Time" is a rather more fluid concept though. Two people in different reference frames won't even agree on whether two events happened at the same time or not.

I just want to throw in an extra comment here. I'm not trying to put people down for throwing out new ideas or questioning the status quo. It's what science is based on. However, we also have to build upon what we currently know and stick with the theories that give us the best results. You can derive Newtonian mechanics from quantum mechanics assuming "real world" quantities, much like you can derive Newtonian gravity from GR with non-relativistic assumptions. It takes a lot to throw away a theory, especially one that has a lot of experimental evidence. I just occasionally get frustrated with people who view modern theoretical physics as a merely mathematical exercise that has no relevance to the real world. I also need to point out that, while popular science deals in expanding balloons and floating icebergs, there is a necessity to formulate an idea in a more physical (and mathematical) sense. Extra dimensions can seem crazy to some people, but the alternative is a world where moving one foot to the left and then one to the right would end up leaving you in a different place from moving one foot to the right and then one to the left.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It's an interesting question. It kind of boils down to the same thing that people worry about with regards to why should the outer reaches of the universe have the same physics as here. It's possible they don't, but it would essentially make understanding anything impossible!
    Yea pretty much. I suppose if you looked at very distant objects and they were behaving in ways outside the current constant that would be a smoking gun, but I never heard anything along those lines. The very distant objects and structures are as the theories would expect AFAIK?
    The problem with the idea of the speed of light slowing over the years, and this causing the massive expansion, is that it doesn't explain the largely homogeneous nature of the sky. It appears the universe looks the same in all directions - if things expanded normally, albeit at a quicker pace, then this simply wouldn't happen. It would be akin to exploding some dynamite and finding a perfect circle of debris.
    Gotcha. The background radiation/echo from the big bang is uniform with some lumpy bits(again AFAIK) The inflation part and why it happened is the bit I mean with a diff in the speed of light. If light was faster in the initial crazy time just after the big bang and then it for want of a better word ran out of puff universe wide and set to its current speed. That what looks like an inflation period to us, was light settling down kinda thing.

It's a valid query, but it comes down to which is more probable. Dark matter can actually be inferred from Newtonian gravity. The galaxies spin too quickly given the "visible" matter in them. So the question becomes which is more likely - dark matter that only has a gravitational influence, or the very basic concept of gravity we have being wrong? The latter is certainly possible, but it would take both a smarter and braver man than I to think of a better idea.
    Or maybe there is so much ordinary "stuff" that we simply cant see. Even looking closer to home in our own solar system, there are a gansie load of asteroids, comets etc, the bigger ones we see but there are more we cant and there could be a helluva lot more out there. Ditto with the oort cloud. Loads of matter some planetoid sized that we cant see and that's just in our back yard. I recall reading about voyager slowing down unexpectedly as it makes its way out of our solar system and people saying this was a bit of a head scratcher gravity wise. Not so much if theres a lot of ordinary matter, even dust out there, in what we think as empty space. So do we even need exotic matter at all? Or are the values so big that even all the hypothetical ordinary matter doesnt make up the shortfall?

Tis the problem of "popular science". I think it's great that people take an interest in these things, and there will undoubtedly be people who approach it from the same angle as yourselves who end up having a greater impact on the field than myself, but they will be in a minority.
    The bloke in a shed principle :) The outsider with the fresh approach. But yes defo in the minority. Problem with the fact that most of the leaps forward were those outsiders, every outsider reckons they're one of them.. The internet will increase the chances of the real deal coming through, but because of the signal to noise ratio it may be ignored.
    There is an issue that theoretical physics has powered ahead of experimental physics, which is a new phenomenon, but a mathematical framework is essential to any physical theory.
    +1
    Essentially, mathematical physics provides more options than exist in the real world, but nothing happens in the real world that can't be explained through mathematical physics. White holes are equally as plausible as black holes mathematically, but as far as we know only black holes exist. We simply wouldn't have gotten anywhere over the last 100 years without theoretical physics though.
    White holes? Just googled that. Cool. I see the Hawking chap positing that black and white holes could be the same observable thing. I love the idea of big bangs within black holes calving new universes. Fascinating stuff. Note to self, buy a few books on this.

Well, people a million light years away will see us in "the present" a million years from now. Time is not uniform throughout the universe - the important factor is causality. Causality states that I can't see something happening before it's happened (essentially), and what someone does 20 years from now won't affect what I'm doing now. "Time" is a rather more fluid concept though. Two people in different reference frames won't even agree on whether two events happened at the same time or not.
    Gotcha. I'm thinking if you could stand "outside" the universe would you percieve all energy and matter and information as "frozen". A solid as it where, birth growth death of all in one point. Just that within the universe, causality is locked to he observers reference frame.

Advertisement