Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Landlord in Dublin

Options
  • 09-03-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I had a landlord who was a w***er i just moved out of his house

_______________ rents places out all over Dublin

tries to rip you off with your deposit just walks into your house/ room when ever he feels like it

knocks off your electic , gas , ntl and gives no warning and then blames it all on you for not paying bills even tho its him who has to pay them as its in the lease

im not the only one who thinks the same i know other people who rent from him and say the same thing as me

just wondering has anyone had him as a landlord before and did he do the same to you and if you have never rented off him you dont know how lucky you really are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

he is supposed to tell you that he intend calling, giving you notice as people have to respect others.
    he is breaking the law, if it is an all in bill, as you have paid for these services,
    if all of what you say is correct, this person is breaking the law, there are rules for both the land lord and tenant,

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

I know i got threshold onto him anyway

nadey wrote: »
    I know i got threshold onto him anyway
    do you know any other tenants dealing with him, are they having the same trouble

yeah i do they all have the same problems some even worse , seriously if people only new what he was like no one would move into his houses

this land lord is very clever
    he made shure the utilities bills were not in your name, so you can not prove that you were his tenant
    did you pay bin charges at that address
    did you have a rent book
    did you have letters posted or addressed to you in that house
    if you have this evidence you may be able to prove you resided there, but utility bills are very important in proving you lived there and paid up
    keep any envelopes addressed to you at that address

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    this land lord is very clever
    he made shure the utilities bills were not in your name, so you can not prove that you were his tenant
    did you pay bin charges at that address
    did you have a rent book
    did you have letters posted or addressed to you in that house
    if you have this evidence you may be able to prove you resided there, but utility bills are very important in proving you lived there and paid up
    keep any envelopes addressed to you at that address

no i didn't pay for the bins either did he what he did was take the rubbish out and put it in other peoples bin , yes had rent book , yes had letters posted here in my name and his, i got all my deposit back thanks to threshold biggest mistake ever moving into one of his houses

no i didn't pay for the bins either did he what he did was take the rubbish out and put it in other peoples bin , yes had rent book , yes had letters posted here in my name and his, i got all my deposit back thanks to threshold biggest mistake ever moving into one of his houses

another question
    do you still have that book
    did you pay cash or cheque
    or through bank account

yep i have it here somewhere at the start i was paying him by cash but then i started 2 do it by cheque why

are the houses in his name, and does he say he own them
    yeah he does his name is in all the house he owns around dublin and beleive me its a alot

yeah he does his name is in all the house he owns around dublin and beleive me its a alot
    when you paid cash, did the rent book get signed, a person can have lots of houses say 20 and just show that 10 are rented, the cheques will cover themselves

• Advertisement

yeah every thing was signed wen he got rent

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nadey, if you have a problem, bring it up with Threshold and the PRTB. Naming and shaming here isn't acceptable as we have no way of verifying your accusations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I understand why, but it's a pity we cannot name and shame the scumbag landlords. That's the problem. Everyone is afraid of getting sued so nobody can say much, yet they continue to screw people over. It's not a challenge on your decision Victor, don't get me wrong. Plenty of people get screwed over on a daily basis by landlords and estate agents. We don't have many rights when it boils down to it... It's not good :(

I understand why, but it's a pity we cannot name and shame the scumbag landlords. That's the problem. Everyone is afraid of getting sued so nobody can say much, yet they continue to screw people over. It's not a challenge on your decision Victor, don't get me wrong. Plenty of people get screwed over on a daily basis by landlords and estate agents. We don't have many rights when it boils down to it... It's not good :(

there are rules governing landloards, and rules governing tenants,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Nah the worst landlord is my previous one in Dalkey.

Never fixed anything we reported, didn't show up for original viewing, told us it was illegal to enter the attic of the house (which I did to fix a leak and subsequently noticed only half the roof was insulated and the other half bare metal supporting the ceiling plasterboard) Told us that the half insulation was normal, renewed lease at end of first year (i left) then 6 weeks later told them all to leave as bank now owned the house. 2 days before leaving, changed mind (bank don't own house anymore???) and asked all to stay.

Was told by the one guy who was staying that he would be at home for 3 weeks over Christmas and that he thought with the cold weather and no insulation the pipes may freeze, she said would drop in to check. She didn't and all the pipes burst, part of the bedroom floor collapsed, 3 inches of water in entire downstairs and house totally destroyed along with all of the remaining furniture (which was ours).

She took over from her father as LL after about 6 months of first year, her father's company built the houses. So no-one to blame but themselves.

I'm so glad I got out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If you're every worried about what a landlord may be like when moving in, it might be worth checking out http://www.prtb.ie/disputes.htm

You can see a list of all cases that went for dispute resolution \ tribunal with the PRTB. It won't show everyone, but if the landlord is there a couple of times and lost his cases it might be worth staying clear of the place.

matrim wrote: »
    If you're every worried about what a landlord may be like when moving in, it might be worth checking out http://www.prtb.ie/disputes.htm

You can see a list of all cases that went for dispute resolution \ tribunal with the PRTB. It won't show everyone, but if the landlord is there a couple of times and lost his cases it might be worth staying clear of the place.

ha ha my landlord is on that site more than once lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

For every slum landlord, there is at least one scumbag tenant.

Its a two way problem. I am not sure that PRTB is working as its very slow and in cases of small (and often the most petty and unreasonable) issues like small deductions from deposits - delays in returning deposits (given that rents are still so high compared to tenant earnings that few can finance a new deposit while waiting for the last one to return), minor issues end up not being acted upon and too often the tenants will just leave, leaving some new unwitting tenant to start the cycle all over again.

That said, as a tenant I am horrified by the filth that tenants live in and leave places in for others to clean up. I am shocked at how willing some are to simply dump belongings and move on. And many are more than willing to abuse the system for as long as they can. A lot of the problem is that most landlords are amateurs in the game - its a part time, extra income thing that they don't do full time so they often do little more than just collect the rent and minimal maintenance.

That said, a lot of good tenants are caught in the middle and its really frustrating when you are paying out so much of your income to have to live in substandard accomodation (I am talking about typical things like poor insulation, ventilation and lack of natural lighting, not to mention almost zero privacy like having to listen to the scumbag upstairs bang his tart 3 times a night etc). Most owner occupiers do not have to put up with stuff like this and it does seem to me that much of what is being done by the PRTB could be avoided by licencing landlords and properties based on minimum standards before they are legally allowed to let.

For example, in the UK they have to have an annual check on safety, appliances etc. This would avoid problems with electrical wires hanging loose and unsafe fittings.
    ANYBODY can be a landlord - even if you have served prison time and are of very questionable character. You cannot be a taxi driver or anything else, but you can still be a landlord! This isn't fair. There ought to be some kind of basic background check, and if places had to by law be advertised with a landlords license and annual safety check cert, the PRTB would barely need to exist at all.

ha ha my landlord is on that site more than once lol
    now you have the ball in your hand, did he sign rent book every week while you gave the cash, maybe he thought you would discard that very important little book, you are entitled to more back i should think, the weeks he had switched off the services like ntl and others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

there are rules governing landloards, and rules governing tenants,

Yes I know that, I have looked into it years ago when I had problems, but that doesn't fix the problem at all. It's not easy to chase after landlords for things.

Landlords still screw people over and tenants still screw landlords over.

I never had a really terrible landlord. I did have one very naive landlord who showed these girls my room while I was out, without notice. I got soooo pissed with her, poor woman though, she used to come in and clean our place every few weeks. A real mammy landlord. Problem was that when she came into my room it wasn't very tidy. My then girlfriend had some "toys" out. It didn't look too well for me and I was quite embarrassed :P

I had one landlord that evicted me after I paid my first weeks rent. Literaly an hour. We had an arguement. He had decided who was sleeping where in our house. We were 4 friends who agreed that who got the house and who moved in first got the choice of bedrooms. Our landlord would not let me stay in the room I picked and instead put me in this converted toilet, that's all I can say about that room. So he told me to leave but he wouldn't give me my 65 euro back... Nothing I could do about it... :(
    matrim wrote: »

Thanks for that site, that will definately come in handy. Wouldn't do any harm to look through.
    shoegirl wrote: »
    For every slum landlord, there is at least one scumbag tenant.

Not sure about the ratios, but there are plenty of tenants that you wouldn't house in a kennel.
    Its a two way problem. I am not sure that PRTB is working as its very slow and in cases of small (and often the most petty and unreasonable) issues like small deductions from deposits - delays in returning deposits (given that rents are still so high compared to tenant earnings that few can finance a new deposit while waiting for the last one to return), minor issues end up not being acted upon and too often the tenants will just leave, leaving some new unwitting tenant to start the cycle all over again.

Exactly, landlords do get away with a lot quite a bit. Not much is done about it and the next tenant gets screwed in the same way.
    That said, as a tenant I am horrified by the filth that tenants live in and leave places in for others to clean up.

This couldn't cost a whole deposit though, I mean you get in cleaners and clean the house, charge the tenants and take part of their deposit, that's fair to me. We always clean our place spotless before we leave so don't get caught out on this ;) I am shocked at how willing some are to simply dump belongings and move on. And many are more than willing to abuse the system for as long as they can.
    A lot of the problem is that most landlords are amateurs in the game - its a part time, extra income thing that they don't do full time so they often do little more than just collect the rent and minimal maintenance.

Agreed. A lot of them are not professionals. They do not know all the rights. My dad included. Thing is, he rents out to people he knows so it's not so bad. These greedy landlords want to maximise their profits, they try to put very little into the house. That's not a good thing.
    That said, a lot of good tenants are caught in the middle and its really frustrating when you are paying out so much of your income to have to live in substandard accomodation (I am talking about typical things like poor insulation, ventilation and lack of natural lighting, not to mention almost zero privacy like having to listen to the scumbag upstairs bang his tart 3 times a night etc). Most owner occupiers do not have to put up with stuff like this and it does seem to me that much of what is being done by the PRTB could be avoided by licencing landlords and properties based on minimum standards before they are legally allowed to let.

Don't agree with the generalising of the "scumbag banging his tart", not very nice to be honest.

I do agree with introducing a minimum standard for accomodation. A lot of accomodation is very well kept, but the prices that people are asking for, when the house has 20 year old carpet, mold on the walls, damp, cold etc etc, based solely on the market for same sized house in same area... What a joke.

If you shop around you can get an extremely nice place for a very nice price. You have to be patient though...
    For example, in the UK they have to have an annual check on safety, appliances etc. This would avoid problems with electrical wires hanging loose and unsafe fittings.
    ANYBODY can be a landlord - even if you have served prison time and are of very questionable character. You cannot be a taxi driver or anything else, but you can still be a landlord! This isn't fair. There ought to be some kind of basic background check, and if places had to by law be advertised with a landlords license and annual safety check cert, the PRTB would barely need to exist at all.

Why a background check? If the landlord is providing an adequate service for a reasonable price, then what's the problem? Safety checks and anual upkeep of the place should be essential, but a background check of the landlord is a bit too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Don't agree with the generalising of the "scumbag banging his tart", not very nice to be honest.

Its not a generalisation, its what I have to listen to almost every night. 4-5 times a night, at random intervals from 11pm to about 4 am, weekdays included. Banging headboards, squeaking slats, the tart screaming at the top of her voice. At least the previous couple kept it to once or twice a week and rarely after 1am.

Its really vile and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Advertisement