Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever gotten measured?

• 09-03-2010 12:41am

For a bra I mean. Recently I think mine have been growing again, and I'd like to get a professional to tell me what cup I should be using. I've tried using online calculators but they always give different results.
    Where do you recommend I go? Have you ever been measured? Was it awkward?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Two weeks ago in M&S and the lady who sorted me out was lovely :)

I was so wearing the wrong size since I was 16 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

yep get measured every few months, would be warely of m+s tho some stores are good some are rubbish, debanhams on henry street is good and has a nice range of styles and brands

debanhams on henry street is good and has a nice range of styles and brands

I went to Debenhams that same day and she tried to tell me Im a A cup!! Now Im smallish but not that small! Tried on the bra and was pouring out of it and she tried to tell me it was perfect!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I got measured in three different places, on the same day and they were all completely different! I thought that two of them would be the same but they were all way off each other.

As for on-line stuff I think this website is good, it shows you what the bra will look like when it doesn't fit (I've noticed alot of women with some of the signs that it doesn't fit.

Also what I think is really important is when trying on a bra put your top back on to see how it looks, I've met alot of people that don't do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I went to Debenhams that same day and she tried to tell me Im a A cup!! Now Im smallish but not that small! Tried on the bra and was pouring out of it and she tried to tell me it was perfect!!!

i had the same prob with m+s a few weeks ago tho she tried to tell me i was a G cup...now i know im not small up top but could have used the space left to carry my lunch around....guess it just depends on the day who you get

• Advertisement

Orla K wrote: »

Also what I think is really important is when trying on a bra put your top back on to see how it looks, I've met alot of people that don't do this.
    I only started doing this since I was measured - Now I find myself checking everyone else out :eek:

i had the same prob with m+s a few weeks ago tho she tried to tell me i was a G cup...now i know im not small up top but could have used the space left to carry my lunch around....guess it just depends on the day who you get

Well I went from an A to a D in two different shops - it all depends on the shop! I for one would stay well away from la senza!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I went to marks and spencers in Dundrum and found them great. Really helpful and she brought in a few different styles and got me to try them on and made sure they all fit well.

Strange though seeing as the last time I got measured was about 3 years ago and I have since lost nearly 3 stone in weight, would have thought there would have been more of a difference, I have definitely gotten smaller anyway.

Edit: +1 to staying away from la senza, she didn't even measure me properly, just looked and said I'd say you're around this and threw some bras at me and left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I've been measured twice. For my very first bra, so when I was about twelve or something, can't remember! I was a 28AA though! :) Somewhere between then and a few months ago, I upgraded myself to a 34C, ya know, gradually along the way. Then I got measured in M&S, was devastated to be downsized to a B cup!!! :rolleyes:

I really do think it depends on the bra though. I've bought some bras since and some are waaaaay too small, some I could fit a tennis ball into the cup too, even though they're all the same size. Grr @ boobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yup, just th'other day - M&S. Excellent but selection terrible, so did the buying in Debenhams.

The best measuring I've had done was in Arnotts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, my Mom brought me to get measured when I was about 15. Boobs didn't appear till then. I was a 34 AA I think.

Then about 2 years ago I got measured and was a 34B. And then a few weeks ago I got measured again and now I'm a 34A. Wtf?! Grr. Totally depends on the bra though. And no, don't find it awkward. They are only boobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I got measured in a few places a few years ago. Arnotts were best and even used a different measuring technique. M&S told me a was a size bigger than I was because they didn't sell my actual size! The bra was riding up my back major indication it doesn't fit! The woman just had a couldn't be bothered attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I for one would stay well away from la senza!

Me too.

Their sizing is rubbish - almost on par with Penney's.

For reasonably expensive lingerie, they aren't great quality.

You need to wear a non-padded, underwired bra right?

Geez I've been trying online again and am getting everything from a 34B to a 34E. Though I don't really trust those ones that only measure your bust and underbust - I always come out ridiculously small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

I was measured in Arnotts several times in my teens and I've had it done once in my early 20s. Always found them excellent. The staff also generally have a good knowledge of their stock and will know which brands are small fitting/large fitting etc. so after they measure you they will pick you out 3/4 that suit you and fit the criterion you want (price/ padded or not/colour etc)

I wouldn't touch any of the stuff in La Senza or the likes with a barge pole. For anyone over a C cup, cheap or low quality bras are just more trouble than they're worth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Another vote for Arnotts! That's where I always go, same with my mam. They've always fitted me with the best bras after I've told them what I'm looking for (cleavage, t shirt, whatever). Some of the brands are expensive, but if you look after them and hand wash them they'll last ages. Great bargains to be had in the sale too.

It's so important to be measured properly, I noticed such a huge difference when I got measured at 16 and was put in the right size, comfort and aesthetics wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Victoria Secret in the States. Walked in and was accosted from some camp as a my underpants dude, lifted up my top and measured me :pac: Soo random, but he was hilarious so couldn't find fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

The best place I was in was Conways in Naas, she spent ages with me to find a good bra, because I have weird boobs alot of bras I find pinch me inbetween my boobs, we eventually got one(that I didn't have already) and it's one of my favourite bras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I got messured in mothercare as i was about to pop, so happens i was wearing the right bra a 34c. that was 10 years ago now im a 36 c/d i went on the merina coil 6 weeks ago and im sure my 36 c is getting a bit small as my bust is popping out of it, must go and get a 36d when i have the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

This thread has reminded me to go get measured, it has been ages! Thanks laydees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I usually go to M&S on Henry Street. I have been going there since I first started to grow boobs. :p I've only ever had one bad experience which was about two years ago when I went and the girl tried to tell me I was a C cup. Which was ridiculous because I was a DD before that and the reason I went to get measured was because they had grown again not shrunk!

When I argued with her she got another woman to measure me and it turned out I'd gone up to an E. That was the only time I had a problem there.

It's not awkward. They come in and measure around your bust and under it. Then they go and get some bras in the size they think you are and then they let you try them on (they leave the room first though! :D) Then they come back in and adjust the straps if needs be and they often talk you through the signs of how you know it does or does not fit. The last woman even made me put my top back on to show me how it would improve how I look and proceeded to tell me that the new size took attention away from my tummy! ("Gee, thanks?" :()

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Got measured a few months back in m&s, wasn't a bit awkward, woman was very nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Smallbit

Thanks for the tip on Arnotts ladies. I'll go there next time!

I've been measured several times in M&S and Debenhams. Neither seem to agree. I'm either 40E or 38E or 40DD. In any case my latest purchase has room left for chicken fillets. My boobs are bouncing around inside the cups no matter how tight I adjust the straps.

Is it just me, or is it a problem with consistency between bra manufacturers? I've notice that when I'm measured and fitted, the bra I buy on the day is fine, but if I buy the same size in a different brand or shop, it's likely not to fit... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Smallbit wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip on Arnotts ladies. I'll go there next time!

I've been measured several times in M&S and Debenhams. Neither seem to agree. I'm either 40E or 38E or 40DD. In any case my latest purchase has room left for chicken fillets. My boobs are bouncing around inside the cups no matter how tight I adjust the straps.

Is it just me, or is it a problem with consistency between bra manufacturers? I've notice that when I'm measured and fitted, the bra I buy on the day is fine, but if I buy the same size in a different brand or shop, it's likely not to fit... :confused:

Sounds like the cup it too big.

Brands and even different bras by the same brand vary just like any other item of clothing so always try bras on before buying.

Also you size can change with any increase/decrease in weight, change of or going on/off the pill, and even time of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

Smallbit wrote: »

I've tried bras from the same company that didnt fit. Like a white one fits really well so I'll get the same one in black. Said they were the same size on the lable, same cup, different colour, totally different size when its tried on ffs! Got measured in Debhanams in Waterford once and the woman was not bothered, barely put the tape around me said I was a 30 (which I'm not) and looked and said I was a DD (bollix), I just said thanks and left :( Hate bra shopping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

mood wrote: »
    Brands and even different bras by the same brand vary just like any other item of clothing so always try bras on before buying.

Also you size can change with any increase/decrease in weight, change of or going on/off the pill, and even time of the month.

Exactly, which is why I'll stick to my own judgement instead of getting measured every time!

I've been measured a few times in different places but when I try the specified size on and it doesn't fit right, it seems like the assistant just blusters to make you buy. If I'm floating around in the cup or if it gives me quattro-bewb it's the wrong size, I don't care what your tape measure says. :rolleyes:

I'll generally take 3 sizes in to try on and wear the kind of top that I intend to wear over that type of bra to see if it looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

A friend played a prank on me once. She told me I had to try a certain bra shop, without giving me any details about the place.

So in I walk...It's a tiny hole-in-the-wall. There's nothing but a long counter with a Hassidic Jewish man standing there in his black hat and long beard. He asked me to remove my coat.

Then he "measured" me using only his eyes. By this point, I was ready to kill my friend. He didn't even ask what sort of bras I was interested in. He rummaged around in some boxes and then handed me the ones he thought I needed. His wife came out and brought be back to a little makeshift changing room (just a curtain) in the corner.

She proceeded to feel me up and down, snap the straps...and so on...making sure they fit.

Despite the strange experince, they are, bar none, the best fitting bras I've ever owned. Highly recommend the place if you are ever in NYC. It's on Orchard St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I have to post to disagree with ppl saying la senza isn't good.
    I found the girl in la senza on grafton street lovely and so helpful, also i love there bras would recommend them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

kateos2 wrote: »
    I went to marks and spencers in Dundrum and found them great.

Really? I got told I was a DD in there by one lady, and I'm not small but I'm not that either!

Never going to La Senze again, girl was making faces while measuring me, silly cow! Wasn't very comfortable at all. You'd swear I hadn't washed in months the way she was making faces, had only bloody showered and went straight to get measured first before shopping. :mad: My first ever measure too, haven't gone back since those two experiences put me right off! I may go get measured properly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think its a good idea to get measured every 6 months and buy a new set of bras if there is a change. It will stand to you in the long run if you look after your boobs, they won't droop too early if you are wearing the correct bra. I wouldn't recommend getting measured in M&S though I think Debenhams and Arnotts are far better.

If you are big La Senza are useless they don't have bras to fit me so don't bother with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I got measured in Shaw's last year sometime and I was wearing the wrong size which is common I suppose. I wasn't too far out, was wearing 40D and meant to be wearing 38DD. But you wouldn't believe the difference it made, I looked slimmer and the correct size actually made my chest look smaller!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I got measured for my first bra ever in a boutique in the town I lived in! It was mortifying!! Never again, Even now that I am pregnant I really should have got measured but the next size up is fitting me fine! :)

Advertisement