Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD 2010 CAO applications first pref report

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

There is a really good DVD on how the points system works, it can be difficult to explain, most career guidance teachers have it so if confused I'd say have a look. Very useful.

Sure, have a look at the video if you think it might help you. The points system is based on supply and demand. The 'market', that is, student numbers (demand) versus available places (supply), dictates whether the points go up or down. The places are filled by students with the most points, until all places are filled. You could say "places are filled from the top down'. If there is a draw at the bottom there is random selection.

Hopefully the colleges will be able to use the early trends/predictions to move resources around and accommodate the maximum number of students. If they can plan ahead it should make any rise in points fairly undramatic.

To all CAO applicants: I hope you get the course you want next year. Make sure you apply for the one you want, not the one you think you might get.

If you're not sure about what course you want you probably need to think about it a bit more. So that means, ask questions, talk to people and do your homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

Conor108 wrote: »
    UCD Science first preferences up by 28.2%. At the moment looks like this:

1. DIT.........Science
    2. DIT.........Science
    3. UCD.........Physics with Astronomy and Space Science
    4. UCD.........Computer Science
    5. DCU.........Common Entry into Science (Undenominated Entry)
    6. NUIM........Sciencerolleyes:

Don't worry you'll be going to DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Is there anyway of finding out the application no's for each course in DCU?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

stainluss wrote: »
    Is there anyway of finding out the application no's for each course in DCU?:o
    No idea but Id love to know too.

I hope the law points go down a little :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Awh **** medicine's gone up loads...I seriously hope there'll be a drop in the 2011 CAO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

jumpguy wrote: »
    Awh **** medicine's gone up loads...I seriously hope there'll be a drop in the 2011 CAO...

Don't worry about that because HPAT changes the points around and can make it harder or easier to get in regardless of the amount of people applying to do the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

pathway33 wrote: »
    We should start a quiz of CAO questions. I'll get the ball rolling

Q1. I really want to do arts in UCD more than anything else but I'll never get it because the most points I'm going to get is 330 because I did crap in the mocks. I'll put UCD arts number 10 just in case I do get the points. This is the right thing to do isn't it?*

* Do not attempt this at home
    Nooo!! You put the highest points first! So if you want to do UCD arts and its the highest points you aim for, you put it first because if you don't get those points you will just go down the list till its a course do you get the sufficient point for? Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

pathway33 wrote: »
    We should start a quiz of CAO questions. I'll get the ball rolling

Q1. I really want to do arts in UCD more than anything else but I'll never get it because the most points I'm going to get is 330 because I did crap in the mocks. I'll put UCD arts number 10 just in case I do get the points. This is the right thing to do isn't it?*

* Do not attempt this at home

NO. Im going to get 360 or else 380 if Im lucky.. I want it more than anything else too. So Im putting it as first incase something goes right in the exam, for once! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

kev9100 wrote: »
    Ok, this has scared the living **** out of me. I want to do Arts in UCD, which is 360 atm, and i got 395 in the mocks. Surely it can't go any higher than 380, right?

was Arts 360 last year?
    man, i thought it was about 390

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

was Arts 360 last year?
    man, i thought it was about 390
    360 = minimum points
    400 = average intake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    360 = minimum points
    400 = average intake

Thanks fella

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Thanks fella
    No prob, that's what I'm here for.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MariaBabii wrote: »
    Nooo!! You put the highest points first! So if you want to do UCD arts and its the highest points you aim for, you put it first because if you don't get those points you will just go down the list till its a course do you get the sufficient point for? Hope it helps :)
    RoRoCullen wrote: »
    NO. Im going to get 360 or else 380 if Im lucky.. I want it more than anything else too. So Im putting it as first incase something goes right in the exam, for once! lol
    I think he was being facetious! :D

Still, no harm to clarify ...

Advertisement