Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applegreen service stations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

sexdwarf wrote: »
    20 euro it's a week's worth of grocery shopping!

Please come and do my shopping for me.. Where can you get a full weeks breakfast, lunch and dinner for 1 person for 20 euro?? That is a useless statement...

Anyway as stated in another post here it was advertised clearly on the posters that you had to purchase meals in the hotel of your choice..

Yes no minimum amount was mentioned here but ffs if you have ever been in a hotel(a decent one) you will know a dinner is anywhere from 20-30 per head and breakfast on average about 10.... Please dont respond with individual prices im saying on average here......

But hey if you want to spent 2-4 c more on your petrol in future then go ahead.. less que for me at the pumps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

Please come and do my shopping for me.. Where can you get a full weeks breakfast, lunch and dinner for 1 person for 20 euro?? That is a useless statement...

As off-topic as my grocery bill is, it's the reality for many people during this recession, I'm only speaking from my own perspective and I don't think that's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

sexdwarf wrote: »
    Ahh but you're missing the point, the minimum spend is NOT in the terms and conditions of the loyalty card. It's not until you part with your 20euro to get the details that this sum is revealed in the hotels brochure you're handed...that's the problem

Arhhhh now theres the rub.

If that's true , that's very naughty I feel.

This sort of ' promotion ' has been around for years , often the minimum spend is more than a room would be if you booked it , and of course you lose the flexibility of eating elsewhere.

Ill be honest I stay in hotels a lot for work ( abroad typically ) and I have a hard rule that I don't eat in the hotel unless there is no where else at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

20 pot noodles?? You would be surprised how student like some people do\can\have to live.

Whoever mentioned the 2c cheaper per/l after 11pm.. is that true? I have never seen or heard about that before and I use applegreen religiously! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Whoever mentioned the 2c cheaper per/l after 11pm.. is that true? I have never seen or heard about that before and I use applegreen religiously! :confused:

That was me, yeah that's the way it is at my local one anyway. Used to be a Top until recently but they brought it in when it changed. That's the one on the Malahide Road north of Clarehall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Depuy lady wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I ask every time I pass an apple green station they have two prices up for petrol, how can a customer buy petrol at the cheaper price?

2nd prices is marked as a discount price, which I took to apply to heavy users like coach companies, trucking companies etc. Its usually a good bit less than the car wash price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

whiterebel wrote: »
    2nd prices is marked as a discount price, which I took to apply to heavy users like coach companies, trucking companies etc. Its usually a good bit less than the car wash price.

The cheaper price on their display is available only to customers who purchase a carwash with their fuel. This is clearly displayed on their signage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

eth0_ wrote: »
    The cheaper price on their display is available only to customers who purchase a carwash with their fuel. This is clearly displayed on their signage.

I thought there was usually a lot bigger difference than 5c a litre any time I saw it, but maybe you're right. I must have a proper look next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

(From the outset, I work in an Applegreen)

Only people who get irate about any promotion we do are the people who didnt bother their arse reading the small print.

Dont whinge out counter staff about it, they can do nothing, dont ask them for money back, they cant give it to you.

I think it's a scam, an out right scam, but it's not my fault or any one who works in a service stations fault that it is. We are paid to hand out the loyalty cards and stamp them and sell you the vouchers.

I happily explain the deal to anyone who asks, I even mention the minimum spend (more than the T&Cs on the loyalty card....).

Basically, dont blame the staff in the stations themselves!

Also boycotting Applegreen? Sounds like a genius plan, because I know the one I work in has the cheapest petrol around (Or matches a nearby tesco)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Telcon PM

I got caught out by the line "just eat in the hotel of your choice-after all, you have to eat somewhere, right?" - but like everyone else, I didn't realise I'd be forced into eating 120quids worth of food for every night we stayed!
    Anyways, the long and the short of it, is that I went back to Applegreen, handed my voucher back, and asked for a refund.
    And I got one, no quibbles.
    :D Fair play to Applegreen I say! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

This scam has been doing the rounds for years. My wife joined a gym where the offer was a free flight to New York. I queried "what was the catch?" but the gym said there was none so she signed up for membership. When she received her voucher, it stated in the very small print that shed have to book 3 nights hotel accommodation at 750 euros in a hotel of their choice. As she planned on staying with a relative, she didn't need a hotel but no hotel meant no free flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Fad wrote: »
    Also boycotting Applegreen? Sounds like a genius plan, because I know the one I work in has the cheapest petrol around (Or matches a nearby tesco)

We have a fully stamped "voucher" book - and thank god we found this thread before we used it. Tbh I didn't read the small print, but I'd never rant at a teller in the applegreen shops either - it's not their fault.

What I do agree with is the boycotting suggestion someone posted previously, especially if my local tesco matches the fuel price. I view it as brand loyalty - I feel cheated / the offer was not fully disclosed to me properly. If I had no choice I would shop in applegreen, because I do have a choice I choose to not shop there.

Just out of interest, where is the small print / finer detail of the offer. Is it displayed on the voucher book?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Actually, I've just read the book - there's no mention of a min spend. Was there some other sort of media in shop which disclosed this to the customers (poster, leaflets etc)?

Edit: also, the reason why we have not used the voucher is because we still haven't received it as yet. Despite 5 visits to applegreen and 3 weeks later. Which doesn't marry to the inital point on pulling the wool over the customers eyes I know, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Advertisement