Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two young players died on the field the weekend

• 09-03-2010 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

On Saturday, 25-year-old Nigerian footballer Endurance Idahor collapsed in the 12th minute of a Sudanese league game between between Al-Merriekh and Al-Amal. He was rushed to hospital but died of a heart attack on the way.

Just a day later there was a freak tragic incident in a Brazilian futsal game. 23-year-old Robson Costa was attempting a sliding tackle, when a piece of wood was torn up from the playing surface. The wood pierced his thigh, eventually puncturing as high as his intestines before he came to a halt. Costa was seen to be conscious after the accident, but passed away after four hours of emergency surgery. I've seen the video of this and it's truly stomach-turning.

Nobody should die playing the sport they love, thoughts are with the families in each case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Didn't hear of this over the weekend. Second one sounds particularly horrific.

RIP to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Jesus that is so sad... RIP to both of them, young men cut down in their prime and who were doing what they loved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Damn, that's horrid to hear. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

that is shocking news, especially the second one

tragic RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The 2nd one is up on youtube but I don't know if I should link it or not. I watched it without realising the player had actually died and it just looks so innocuous, just like any normal sliding tackle you'd see on a soccer pitch. But once you see him suddenly stop on the ground in the middle of the sliding tackle you begin to realise just what happened to him.

Still shocking to think something like that could actually kill a player though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Daysha wrote: »
    The 2nd one is up on youtube but I don't know if I should link it or not. I watched it without realising the player had actually died and it just looks so innocuous, just like any normal sliding tackle you'd see on a soccer pitch. But once you see him suddenly stop on the ground in the middle of the sliding tackle you begin to realise just what happened to him.

Still shocking to think something like that could actually kill a player though.

Indeed, I chose not to link to the video but it is around in the usual places if people really want to see it, as is that of the Nigerian lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Daysha wrote: »

The other one looked even more innocuous. Scary to see how easily it can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Either video wouldnt be for me I dont think, but sad to hear about these 2 players dying in the prime of their life doing what they love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I saw the Sudanese one on the telly and curiosity made me watch the Brazilian one. Both of them look innocuous.

It's really hard to believe the Brazilian guy died from it.

The Sudanese player just seemed to collapse on the pitch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

RIP to both, watched the youtube of Brazilian guy, looked like an ordinary sliding tackle till he stops, frightening to think that he died from it

The Sudanese guy just collapses, two tragic events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Two absolutely horrible pieces of news. Tragic.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Does anyone know what the story was with the chaps in the big white robes on the pitch? I'm not really down with Sudanese culture, they looked like spectators, but they'd hardly leave spectators onto the pitch.:confused:

Advertisement