Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most interesting ethnic shops in Dublin

Options
  • 09-03-2010 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a journalist researching a feature on ethnic stores in Dublin. A lot of such shops - Polish and Chinese supermarkets for example - are almost psychological no-go areas for Irish people, and presumably for other immigrant communities too.

So I was sort of hoping to break down that barrier a bit with an article. I'm planning to profile 3-5 ethnic shops/shopkeepers for the feature, interview customers and shopkeepers etc

So I'm looking for suggestions for shops to profile - I'd like to find ones that are almost a hub for the particular community they serve, that are a hive of activity ideally. I came across a Hungarian Shop off Parnell St the other day that seemed quite interesting, lots of people chatting inside, but many of the Chinese and Polish supermarkets/shops seem empty.

So, any suggestions for interesting shops/businesses that serve particular immigrant communities? Doesn't particularly matter what they sell.

Thanks,

Lenny

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lituanica on Amiens Street.

I used to walk home that way and every time I passed I would go in and buy some 'unknown' product. I came across some very tasty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

There's a shop in Talbot St that caters to a shrinking ethnic minority, it sells Lyons tea, Tayto crisps, Clonakilty black pudding, Galtee rashers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I use the Asian Supermarket on Drury St. Seems to be a good mix of ethnicities shopping in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

69 wrote: »
    There'a shop in Talbot St that caters to a shrinking ethnic minority, it sells Lyons tea, Tayto crisps, Clonakilty black pudding, Galtee rashers...

LAME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Have you been up Talbot St lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

The large Asian Store on Mary Street. It's always busy. They seem to get a large mix of nationalities in the shop. I think it's Pakistani run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm always in the Philipino shop on Middle Abbey St. Nice staff, good food. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's a huge place beside Jervis luas stop..it sells everything from 5-foot high vases to bamboo steamers,cleavers,live lobsters and fortune cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There is a shop up from The Church on Mary street, beside Millets camping. The lads serving have big long beards, white tunics and some of them have funny hats. The meat served is ḥalāl and there is North African or Arabic Muslim type music playing. Some people might find them selves outside their comfort zone.

Very friendly and helpful gang with a great range of fruit and veg. Very very cheap herbs and spices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

WindSock wrote: »
    I use the Asian Supermarket on Drury St. Seems to be a good mix of ethnicities shopping in there.

Really great value in there and not in the slightest bit off-putting, I don't know why people would think it is.

There's an African shop on Great Strand Street. I know a few people who go in there for meat snacks and soft drinks that they miss from back home. For them I suppose it's the equivalent of an Irish person finding a shop in Africa that sells Tayto crisps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

Spiceland on South Richmond St - great shop, great value on herbs/spices/fruit/veg/frozen fish/hard to find ingredients - love the place. Always busy aswell.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There is a shop up from The Church on Mary street, beside Millets camping. The lads serving have big long beards, white tunics and some of them have funny hats. The meat served is ḥalāl and there is North African or Arabic Muslim type music playing. Some people might find them selves outside their comfort zone.

Very friendly and helpful gang with a great range of fruit and veg. Very very cheap herbs and spices.

Very friendly staff in that shop and the best range of Shan Foods (packet sauces etc).
    The tandoori chicken from the meat counter is very nice too,definatley not tesco's finest!

Degsy wrote: »
    Very friendly staff in that shop and the best range of Shan Foods (packet sauces etc).
    The tandoori chicken from the meat counter is very nice too,definatley not tesco's finest!

Right, will have to try that. I'm telling you, some of Irelands bigger retailers could learn some customer services and manners from these dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Asian Food Co. Very authentic, they even close for prayer on Friday lunch times IIRC.

http://www.asianfood.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was going to mention this place, its a huge shop and has something for everyone

are almost psychological no-go areas for Irish people

Native Dubliner's seem to have taken to them like a duck to water Lenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Degsy wrote: »
    There's a huge place beside Jervis luas stop..it sells everything from 5-foot high vases to bamboo steamers,cleavers,live lobsters and fortune cookies.

Definitely recommend this place, it's a hidden gem! Huge selection of Asian foods and at a very reasonable price.
    I got coconut milk in there the other day for less than half the price it is in Tesco and Dunnes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

must try out the shop on mary street. is Medina on Parnell St still open? i found it good in the past.

Definitely recommend this place, it's a hidden gem! Huge selection of Asian foods and at a very reasonable price.
    I got coconut milk in there the other day for less than half the price it is in Tesco and Dunnes!

True,the Shan meal mixes are one euro each and make about 8 meals per pack..they also taste much better than any supermarket stuff from Tesco etc.

The range of stuff in that shop is astounding

*They also had these!!!

edit

*The place in Jervis street had the Hell bank notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

milly4ever wrote: »
    must try out the shop on mary street. is Medina on Parnell St still open? i found it good in the past.
    Yeah, Medina is still open, forgot about them, they're great too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's an African shop on Great Strand Street. I know a few people who go in there for meat snacks and soft drinks that they miss from back home. For them I suppose it's the equivalent of an Irish person finding a shop in Africa that sells Tayto crisps.

Jabula, a South African place. Food/Spices/arts and crafts shipped from South Africa and they have ordered some stuff in especially if you ask nicely.

I go there often to stock up - they have a website and forum too I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

There is a little Polish Bakery and coffee shop that opened about 2 years ago on Capel St.
    I love going in and buying a few cakes. I often remember going in at the beginning and seeing older polish laborers sitting around and chatting away in Polish over coffee . Nice spot.

Actually just found this article on the place when I googled for a link to the shop!
    http://www.thedubliner.ie/the_dubliner_magazine/2009/11/the-little-shops-that-could-no5-party-cake.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

TESCO

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

69 wrote: »
    There's a shop in Talbot St that caters to a shrinking ethnic minority, it sells Lyons tea, Tayto crisps, Clonakilty black pudding, Galtee rashers...

"Shrinking ethnic minority"? You talking about 'White Irish'?

That make up 90% of the population? :rolleyes:

On your bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Theres a Brazilian shop in Temple bar,just across from the cool t-shirt shop. There always seems to be lots of exotic looking tanned people hovering around outside and inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Eyeball Tickler

Thanks a million for the suggestions everyone - lots of really useful ones. I took a walk through the city - taking in Talbot St, Parnell St, Capel St and Dorset St - and came across loads of potential places to feature. Between that and the suggestions here it's just about narrowing it down to the most interesting ones now.

Friends have mentioned two places to me - a "secret" Russian supermarket down a laneway and a Nigerian tailor in some sort of underground shopping complex, both near Parnell St/Sq. Anyone aware of these? I didn't come across them when out and about, but both sound quite hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 raj5

Hi i have to agree that the Asian Food Co. on mary street next to axa insurance and the church with all the fruit and veg display outside has to be one of the best ethnic shops in dublin. i have been shopping there for 3 years and the staff are excellent and they have a large range of products. its a must for your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardom

You can take in two good ones right beside each other on Great Strand Street in the city centre.

Hanyang is a Korean supermarket with good stuff and there is a Turkish Place with great yogurt right beside it.

the yogurt is great for cleansing the palatte after kimchi!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

panda100 wrote: »
    Theres a Brazilian shop in Temple bar,just across from the cool t-shirt shop. There always seems to be lots of exotic looking tanned people hovering around outside and inside.

That'll be me :) From the tropical part of Artane. Good little shop though, try out a Coxinha next time you're peckish and in town. It's a traditional Brazilian street-snack, a deep-fried doughy thing with chicken in the middle. They do lovely frozen traditional food too like feijoada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 BrianBlessed

Friends have mentioned two places to me - a "secret" Russian supermarket down a laneway and a Nigerian tailor in some sort of underground shopping complex, both near Parnell St/Sq. Anyone aware of these? I didn't come across them when out and about, but both sound quite hidden.

That sounds like the Moore St mall, at the junction of Moore St and Parnell St. You'd find plenty of interesting places there.

Advertisement