Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

monument wrote: »
    Can somebody please explain where a tunnel portal would fit between St Stephen's Green and Milltown?

The only clear place I can see is Milltown Golf Course.

If so, Rathmines is between St Stephen's Green and Milltown -- you could have an underground stop in Rathmines and leave the green line intact between Milltown Golf Course and Broombridge.

Re the green line going a different direction after that: If then you have a tunnel portal at Milltown Golf Course, you could put the tunnel borring machine back in the ground for 2km to Mountanville.

Luas can then takeover the Eastern Bypass alignment. It would link Dart - St Vincent's / new NMH, N11, UCD etc, to Metro at Windy Arbour -- it would serve people using the new St Vincent's - Windy Arbour - Broombridge Luas green line, and serve as a local Metro and Dart feeder service and a local east-west transport corridor in its own right.

I think, Monument, you may be making it unnecessarily complicated.

Upgrading the current Green Line to connect it to a metro line to/from the Northside makes considerable sense.

As I posted above I think it should eventually be a connection with a metro line to/from the northwest of the city, with Broadstone an obvious location as a starting point.

But you are quite right in one respect: how to connect the underground and overground parts around Ranelagh? I can see that the southbound connection looks achievable along Northbrook Avenue, but there is no question that a similar connection for a northbound service would require a compulsory purchase order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Upgrading the current Green Line to connect it to a metro line to/from the Northside makes considerable sense.

As I posted above I think it should eventually be a connection with a metro line to/from the northwest of the city, with Broadstone an obvious location as a starting point.

But you are quite right in one respect: how to connect the underground and overground parts around Ranelagh? I can see that the southbound connection looks achievable along Northbrook Avenue, but there is no question that a similar connection for a northbound service would require a compulsory purchase order.

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to convey here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lxflyer wrote: »
    I've wondered about that for some time - how it could be done without closing the Green Line for an extended period.

Personally I have always believed that it makes far more sense to extend the Metro southwestwards, through Rathmines, Terenure, Rathfarnham or Templeogue, and across via Knocklyon to Tallaght, rather than converting the Green Line LUAS.

That whole central area has little or no scope for above ground rapid transport due to the narrow roads that traverse it.

It is only about 7 km from SSG to outside the M50 at Knocklyon, where MN could rise up from the tunnel and run at street level, possibly to City West. How much would that cost?

bk wrote: »
    strassenwo!f I think you are unnecessarily confusing yourself and getting tied up in knots. Obviously we need to wait and see what the proposed routes end up looking like, but based on what Bonnie said and based on previous reports, I think it will look something like this:

Note the following aren't all stops, just general overview of the route:

Dublin Metro: Swords - Airport - City Center - Stephens Green - Surface somewhere around Ranelagh - Bride's Glen
    Luas Green Line: Broombridge - O'Connell St - Stephens Green - Ranelagh area

Probably see the Green Luas line extended north to Finglas eventually.

Two different lines. I would be shocked if Luas trams continue to operate south of where the Metro surfaces onto the existing Luas route, it would limit the Metro service and really no need for it. People could just change over at Ranelagh area or Stephens Green or Upper O'Connell St or even around Westmorland Street if the Metro ends up with a station at Tara St.

Thank you, BK, I can assure you that I am not confusing myself or tying myself up in knots.

I have lived in a number of cities with developed underground systems. I would reference Munich - with a metro line which heads directly south from northern suburbs and (after traversing the city centre) heads south-west, and a line which travels between the north-west and the south-east, via the centre.

Perhaps something similar to what I am suggesting for St. Stephen's Green - Broadstone

The metro (U-Bahn) in Frankfurt does basically the same thing as Munich. A Line originating in the north finishing in the south-west; lines starting in the southwest finishing in the north. A cross-system, basically.

These are two cities which provide some of the best public transport in the world for many or most of their inhabitants. They provide a one-change system for the majority of their inhabitants, to get from where they live to where they work, and back again.

Dublin still has an opportunity to replicate what those cities have done with public transport, largely because it really hasn't done anything in the middle of the city so far.

A connection of the 'metro' element of the LUAS Green route with a location (probably Broadstone) in the northwest of the city would be good, and was outlined on the previous page. A continuation of the 'metronorth' to the southwest of the city would also be good.

This would have the makings of a one-change system for many of the city's residents. St. Stephen's Green would enable this 'cross-system' to be effective.

Other developments, like Irish Rail's proposed interconnector, could enhance this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No strassenwo!f, the route you outlined is rubbish and very poor, which is why I didn't even comment on it!

- A station deep under Christchurch Hill, digging deep like that is big $$$$$, the whole point of the new Metro North is reduce the cost of the project, going deep under the hill is just silly.

- Your whole alignment, Christchurch - Fish Market - Broadstone is FAR too far from the core city Center, O'Connell St, Henry Street, College Green area and misses the entire point of Metro North, which is high capacity rail from Swords/Airport into the heart of the city.

- Broadstone to Stephens Green is pointless as it again misses the whole point of Dublin Metro, which is to bring rail to Swords and the Airport.

- No point in going to Finglas as an extension to the Luas Green line will do that and previous studies have shown that routing Swords/Airport Metro through Swords would make the journey times far too long. It is a complete non runner.

No point in mentioning Munich and then offering a far inferior plan to what has already planned and what looks to be emerging for the new Dublin Metro plan.

Dublin Metro is too offer us a full North to South axis right through the heart of the city, from Swords to Bride's Glen. That is a pretty good and solid plan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As an aside, the idea of continuing south of Stephens Green is a very good one, much better then the original Metro North plan.

I agree that going southwestwards through Rathmines, etc. (and thus leaving the Green Las line as is) would be an even better idea, but I also expect it would be much more expensive, which it probably why it isn't been suggested.

Going via Ranelagh is only an extra 1.5km of tunnel or so and will likely require only one above ground station where it emerges. The rest of the upgrades south of that would just be above ground station lengthening, etc. So I suspect the plan is only a small extra cost on top of the original plan, compared to going all the way underground through Rathmines, Terrenure, etc. towards Tallaght with multiple underground stations. That may well be the right thing to do, but it also sounds much more expensive and thus less likely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

As an aside, the idea of continuing south of Stephens Green is a very good one, much better then the original Metro North plan.

I agree that going southwestwards through Rathmines, etc. (and thus leaving the Green Las line as is) would be an even better idea, but I also expect it would be much more expensive, which it probably why it isn't been suggested.

Going via Ranelagh is only an extra 1.5km of tunnel or so and will likely require only one above ground station where it emerges. The rest of the upgrades south of that would just be above ground station lengthening, etc. So I suspect the plan is only a small extra cost on top of the original plan, compared to going all the way underground through Rathmines, Terrenure, etc. towards Tallaght with multiple underground stations. That may well be the right thing to do, but it also sounds much more expensive and thus less likely.

It would be more expensive, but it gives a second route to the south west, covering areas that are only catered for by slow buses. It would add about 7 km of tunnel to go beyond the M50, plus about 3 stations, and would connect with a large area of existing suburbs.

Making the Bride's Glen to Ranelagh a Metro, would lose a Luas route. Is that worth it? Maybe take the Green route south westwards at Charlement Bridge.

Can somebody please explain where a tunnel portal would fit between St Stephen's Green and Milltown?

Just looking on Google Maps.

- The houses at Peter Place, before Charlemont

- The buildings and car spaces between 2 Grand Parade and 30 Dartmouth Road. The buildings there seem to be derelict warehouses at the moment and the site is up for sale:

https://www.cbresales.ie/Grand-Parade/Home

Perhaps a development opportunity above the station.

- Ranelagh Gardens

Yes some of these would require CPO, I think that would be hard to avoid either way.

It would be more expensive, but it gives a second route to the south west, covering areas that are only catered for by slow buses. It would add about 7 km of tunnel to go beyond the M50, plus about 3 stations, and would connect with a large area of existing suburbs.

I agree, but given how cost sensitive they seem to be, maybe would cost too much. Perhaps they could leave the space for a spur in future.
    Making the Bride's Glen to Ranelagh a Metro, would lose a Luas route. Is that worth it? Maybe take the Green route south westwards at Charlement Bridge.

Well you really wouldn't be losing a Luas route! You would still have Broombridge to Charlemont and maybe even Finglas to Charlemont. People south of Charlemont wouldn't lose anything, they would actually gain a higher quality service into the city center and to the airport! I think most people south of Ranelagh would be delighted with that.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they might look to extend the Luas southwestards of Charlemont in future. But I'm not sure the feasibility of that.

I agree, but given how cost sensitive they seem to be, maybe would cost too much. Perhaps they could leave the space for a spur in future.

Well you really wouldn't be losing a Luas route! You would still have Broombridge to Charlemont and maybe even Finglas to Charlemont. People south of Charlemont wouldn't lose anything, they would actually gain a higher quality service into the city center and to the airport! I think most people south of Ranelagh would be delighted with that.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they might look to extend the Luas southwestards of Charlemont in future. But I'm not sure the feasibility of that.

Well yes, those with Luas going to Metro would not complain.

However, while the Metro is underground, keep it underground for a few more kms, and a large area if the SW would be served. Taking it out to City West would be a fantastic route, serving a large business community, plus the scope for P&R.

• Advertisement

Well yes, those with Luas going to Metro would not complain.

However, while the Metro is underground, keep it underground for a few more kms, and a large area if the SW would be served. Taking it out to City West would be a fantastic route, serving a large business community, plus the scope for P&R.

Here are you options:

1 - 1.5km of extra tunnel + one above ground station + some station lenthenings
    2 - 7.5km of extra tunnel + 4 or 5 underground stations.

Option 1 is an extra 200 million or so
    Option 2 is probably more like an extra 1 billion

Option 1 looks like an easy stretch, option 2 looks like a very difficult stretch.

I hope they put in place the ability to go south west in future, but I think it would be too much to ask for now. It could risk Metro North not getting built at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Ideally you'd want our main "spine" routes (Metro/DU) to split into 2 branches outside the city centre to fully utilise their capacity.

Alas I think that's one for our children's children.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ive engaged here for donkeys years, but it just gets a little tiresome reading the same old guff. I wasn't seeking the last word, nor do I expect anyone to agree with my opinions and I object to your opinion that I "grandstand". I simply have more knowledge and experience about DU, Metro and the political association than you and many others on the thread.

What actually spurred my post was your fellow mod BK, who has made several posts based on assumption/opinion that is factually incorrect. Its tiresome. Therefore I decided to bow out of the thread for now rather that stick around and risk infractions, bans etc. by tackling the issues on thread. I would have thought that suited things rather than your post that comes across as an attempt to inflame matters. I'd prefer not to take the bait and wish all of you well in the debate.

Sorry, I missed your post until now.

Bk and myself are not moderators on the Infrastructure board and you know that well.

Your post is more grandstanding and wanting the last word -- saying "I simply have more knowledge and experience" is the definition of grandstanding. Your option of your knowledge might or might not be a bit overblown -- we'll never know because all your posts include is rants about the system, which seem to have little understanding of realpolitik.

Basically you're great for saying others are wrong and many things are wrong, but not so good as engaging on the issues.

No strassenwo!f, the route you outlined is rubbish and very poor, which is why I didn't even comment on it!

I am struggling as to where to start, because you appear to have difficulty reading other people's posts.

But let's begin by stating my belief that Dublin should aim to eventually provide quality public transport to the city's northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest, west and east.
    - A station deep under Christchurch Hill, digging deep like that is big $$$$$, the whole point of the new Metro North is reduce the cost of the project, going deep under the hill is just silly.

The highest point on the Hill in Christchurch is 13.4 metres above sea level. The proposed interconnector station would probably be around sea level at it's base, and the metro station I'm suggesting would only need to go under that, probably around 4-10 metres below that. Surely not a problem.

The metronorth, or new metronorth, doesn't come into it.
    - Your whole alignment, Christchurch - Fish Market - Broadstone is FAR too far from the core city Center, O'Connell St, Henry Street, College Green area and misses the entire point of Metro North, which is high capacity rail from Swords/Airport into the heart of the city.[

But, as I said above, metro north doesn't really come into it, apart from its connection with this proposed metro route. Metro north would provide high quality public transport between Swords/The airport and the city centre, and with St. Stephen's Green - from where it would hopefully be extended to the southwest of the city and at where it would hopefully have a connection with something akin to the southwest-northeast line mentioned in my post on the previous page.

There are people who are opposed to the metronorth project in its entirety. I'm not one of them. But it is important that it links well with other public transport projects which aim to serve the whole of the city.
    - Broadstone to Stephens Green is pointless as it again misses the whole point of Dublin Metro, which is to bring rail to Swords and the Airport.

This is again an area where I have to question your ability to read a post. Nobody among the metro believers (like me) is questioning the value of a metro line between St. Stephen's Green and the airport/Swords.

I am suggesting that St. Stephen's Green would be a location for an interchange between lines between (i) the southwest and northwest of the city (the current Green line route and the line north of Broadstone) and (ii) the airport/Swords metro and locations in the southwest of the city.
    - No point in going to Finglas as an extension to the Luas Green line will do that and previous studies have shown that routing Swords/Airport Metro through Swords would make the journey times far too long. It is a complete non runner.

Routing the Swords/Airport metro through Swords would make the journey time far too long?

I'm not sure what I can make of that.
    No point in mentioning Munich and then offering a far inferior plan to what has already planned and what looks to be emerging for the new Dublin Metro plan.

I think it is very relevant to mention Munich. It has, over the years, developed a network which provides a one-change system for most of the citizens of its city.
    Dublin Metro is too offer us a full North to South axis right through the heart of the city, from Swords to Bride's Glen. That is a pretty good and solid plan.

Well, it's a good and solid plan if you only care about citizens from the northeast and southeast of the city.

How are you going to create a network where citizens from the northwest and southwest of the city enjoy it too?

Routing the Swords/Airport metro through Swords would make the journey time far too long?

I'm not sure what I can make of that.

What you can make of that is that it is a typo. I meant to write Finglas rather then Swords there.

As in what I think you are proposing is the following:

Swords - Airport - Finglas - Broadstone - Christchurch - Stephens Green - Rathmines - Terenure - etc.

If that is the alignment you are proposing, then the NTA already did a report into going via Finglas and found that it was too indirect and would make the journey times from Swords/Airport to the city too slow.

And your alignment would be even worse as it wouldn't even go right into the core city center, thus making the journey time from Swords/Airport even worse.

Here is the thing. Just a few weeks ago, we weren't even getting Metro North, now it looks like we might get it and even better we might also get a cheap upgrade to the Luas Green line south of Stephens Green too thrown in on the cheap.

Brilliant!

In addition to this, would I love to see a Metro spur from Stephens Green south westwards, and the Luas Green Line extended northwards from Broombridge into Finglas and Dart Underground and a Metro spur to Lucan etc. etc.

Of course, I'd love all of that. But we have to be realistic. We will be lucky to get any of it! Lets at least get Metro North done and we can build the rest from there.

Just looking on Google Maps.

- The houses at Peter Place, before Charlemont

- The buildings and car spaces between 2 Grand Parade and 30 Dartmouth Road. The buildings there seem to be derelict warehouses at the moment and the site is up for sale:

https://www.cbresales.ie/Grand-Parade/Home

Perhaps a development opportunity above the station.

- Ranelagh Gardens

Yes some of these would require CPO, I think that would be hard to avoid either way.

I can't see the first or last one working because of the need to get not just to ground level but up another level to and the optics and/or practicalities of kicking people out of (former council?) houses or digging up a park in an undeserved by green areas. I guess the first might work if you could knock some of the houses along Adelaide Road but there would be an outcry given their historic nature.

2 Grand Parade and 30 Dartmouth Road has a better change of working but if any large employer buys it first, the idea might be dead before it can be looked at. Especially if a international company gets in there.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I've wondered about that for some time - how it could be done without closing the Green Line for an extended period.

Personally I have always believed that it makes far more sense to extend the Metro southwestwards, through Rathmines, Terenure, Rathfarnham or Templeogue, and across via Knocklyon to Tallaght, rather than converting the Green Line LUAS.

That whole central area has little or no scope for above ground rapid transport due to the narrow roads that traverse it.

On the right site, they could do make the connection from tunnel to existing Luas tracks over a weekend or a week, but it would require upgrading of junctions etc along the existing Luas tracks too.

What have I complicated?

To be clear: I have not disagreed with that.
    I am struggling as to where to start, because you appear to have difficulty reading other people's posts.

I don't think he's the one way finding it hard to understand some of your most recent posts. Post number #3569 where you tried to explain yourself was particularly hard to understand.

What you can make of that is that it is a typo. I meant to write Finglas rather then Swords there.

OK, now it's clear.

As in what I think you are proposing is the following:

Swords - Airport - Finglas - Broadstone - Christchurch - Stephens Green - Rathmines - Terenure - etc.

If that is the alignment you are proposing, then the NTA already did a report into going via Finglas and found that it was too indirect and would make the journey times from Swords/Airport to the city too slow.

BK, you really need to start reading posts, if you're going to comment on them.

I have never, at any stage, suggested any such alignment, and I don't know how you have cobbled that together from my recent posts.

Hopefully Dublin will eventually serve all corners of the city with very effective public transport, much of it provided by DART, metro and LUAS. I disagree strongly with an earlier poster who suggested that the DART Underground and a Swords-Cherrywood metro is 'all we need'.

I think the city should plan, at the least, to have two metro lines (three would, of course, be ideal) to work in conjunction with the DART Underground to provide a decent transport service for most citizens.

The first metro - the Swords/Airport one - would connect the northeast of the city with the southwest, via the city centre.

The second - much of which has already been built, with the current Green LUAS route south of the canal - would connect the southeast of the city with the northwest (suburbs like Finglas, etc., to start with).

These two lines would need to meet, at some point, to make the network very effective, and St. Stephen's Green seems a good location: there's plenty of road space - which is currently not very busy - to dig up and create a fairly simple metro interchange between the two metro lines I'm suggesting.
    And your alignment would be even worse as it wouldn't even go right into the core city center, thus making the journey time from Swords/Airport even worse.

We established, earlier, in another thread, that the core city centre is around College Green, based on the number of workers in the vicinity. For this reason, largely, I favour building the DART Underground through there.

But you probably shouldn't build everything through College Green, and the alignment I suggested earlier - with a connection to the Swords/Airport metro at St. Stephen's Green, two stations in Dublin 2 (Earlsfort Terrace and St. Stephen's Green) and a connection with the DART network at Christchurch would, I think, be pretty good.
    Here is the thing. Just a few weeks ago, we weren't even getting Metro North, now it looks like we might get it and even better we might also get a cheap upgrade to the Luas Green line south of Stephens Green too thrown in on the cheap.

Brilliant!

There is a lot to be positive about news that the Swords/Airport metro will be built to/from the city centre.

But extending that, along the current Green Line Route, to create a northeast-southeast metro would, in my opinion, be a long-term mistake.
    In addition to this, would I love to see a Metro spur from Stephens Green south westwards, and the Luas Green Line extended northwards from Broombridge into Finglas and Dart Underground and a Metro spur to Lucan etc. etc.

Of course, I'd love all of that. But we have to be realistic. We will be lucky to get any of it! Lets at least get Metro North done and we can build the rest from there.

I agree with most of that, and Dublin has indeed surely had its share of half-assed , back-of-a-fag-packet transport plans from the Department of Transport - or its offshoots - over the years. Looking at this from abroad it is appalling how little value Ireland places on public transport.

What have I complicated?

Monument, to refresh the memory of board readers, this is what you posted:

The only clear place I can see is Milltown Golf Course.

If so, Rathmines is between St Stephen's Green and Milltown -- you could have an underground stop in Rathmines and leave the green line intact between Milltown Golf Course and Broombridge.

Re the green line going a different direction after that: If then you have a tunnel portal at Milltown Golf Course, you could put the tunnel borring machine back in the ground for 2km to Mountanville.

Luas can then takeover the Eastern Bypass alignment. It would link Dart - St Vincent's / new NMH, N11, UCD etc, to Metro at Windy Arbour -- it would serve people using the new St Vincent's - Windy Arbour - Broombridge Luas green line, and serve as a local Metro and Dart feeder service and a local east-west transport corridor in its own right.

I think you are broadly right that that corridor might indeed be one that the city should look at. It's been reserved, there's almost no chance that the Eastern by-pass will now go ahead, and it should be used. As you say, it would create a nice link between the DART and the LUAS in the southeast of the city.

But, I feel it's a conversation for another day.

BK, you really need to start reading posts, if you're going to comment on them.

Why don't you do as BK did and outline the route in more detail or do a quick Google map your posts are too vague.

Are you suggesting an X like system of current green line stg, broadstone, Finglas and a second line of proposed MN, stg, Christchurch, Raneagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Why don't you do as BK did and outline the route in more detail or do a quick Google map your posts are too vague.

Are you suggesting an X like system of current green line stg, broadstone, Finglas and a second line of proposed MN, stg, Christchurch, Raneagh?

A map would be perfect, the posts are rather over-long and waffling

• Advertisement

strassenwo!f, it is incredibly difficult to read and understand your posts, which doesn't help you or anyone.

Stop going on about northwest, southwest, etc. it isn't precise enough and simply leads to confusion. Instead could you spell out exactly the alignments you are suggesting either with a map or in a style similar to the following:

Swords - Airport - Drumcondra - Parnell - Tara - Stehpens Green - Ranelagh - Bride's Glen

You don't have to name every station obviously, but just the important ones that give a clear indication of the alignment you are suggesting.

To be honest, I still have no idea what you are suggesting and it seems others are having the same issue.

monument, big open field right next to the Luas line there next to the River Dodder.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B018'26.6%22N+6%C2%B015'02.4%22W/@53.3073884,-6.2516374,225m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.307387!4d-6.250664?hl=en

Looks like it would be an easy tie in there, though maybe the river would complicate things.

And you are right, if they did it there then they could have an underground station at Rathmines.

But then you are looking at double the distance and at least one more underground station. It is certianly a very nice idea. I suppose it would come down to how much extra that would cost versus CPO'ing some of the land I mentioned further north.

I think we will just have to wait and see what comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

monument, big open field right next to the Luas line there next to the River Dodder.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B018'26.6%22N+6%C2%B015'02.4%22W/@53.3073884,-6.2516374,225m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.307387!4d-6.250664?hl=en

Looks like it would be an easy tie in there, though maybe the river would complicate things.

And you are right, if they did it there then they could have an underground station at Rathmines.

But then you are looking at double the distance and at least one more underground station. It is certianly a very nice idea. I suppose it would come down to how much extra that would cost versus CPO'ing some of the land I mentioned further north.

I think we will just have to wait and see what comes.

That "big open field" is all up on a height with a very rapid drop to the river - I cannot see that working at all. There isn't enough space for an incline from underground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

On the right site, they could do make the connection from tunnel to existing Luas tracks over a weekend or a week, but it would require upgrading of junctions etc along the existing Luas tracks too.

My point was that I can't imagine where such a site exists that would facilitate tunnel portals alongside the existing line and which would not impact on LUAS operations.

Short of a lot of very expensive CPOs that's going to be difficult.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    That "big open field" is all up on a height with a very rapid drop to the river - I cannot see that working at all. There isn't enough space for an incline from underground.

I don't know, it looks doable to me. There is quiet a bit of space on the West side of the trams, just need to move that electrical sub station that I assume is there for the Luas anyway.

125 meters from Patrick Doyle Road to where it would need to tie in. I suspect they could temporarily redirect the dodder and Patrick Doyle Road to start it even further back. Hell you have 300 meters of space if they push it even further back into the fields north of Milltown Road.

Actually that might be, tunnel emerges in those fields (150 meters), upper and over Milltown Road, Dodder and Patrick Doyle Road, tie in in the park south of Patrick Road, West of the tracks.

Another option, you have 360 meters of space in the park North East of the luas line, coming at it diagonally. Though this would probably mean the Metro would have an underground stop in Donnybrook, rather then Rathmines.

strassenwo!f, it is incredibly difficult to read and understand your posts, which doesn't help you or anyone.

Stop going on about northwest, southwest, etc. it isn't precise enough and simply leads to confusion. Instead could you spell out exactly the alignments you are suggesting either with a map or in a style similar to the following:

Swords - Airport - Drumcondra - Parnell - Tara - Stehpens Green - Ranelagh - Bride's Glen

You don't have to name every station obviously, but just the important ones that give a clear indication of the alignment you are suggesting.

To be honest, I still have no idea what you are suggesting and it seems others are having the same issue.

I am amazed that you find it so difficult, but I will do as you say.

Reading from north to south:

Line 1: Swords - Airport - Ballymun - DCU - Drumcondra - Mountjoy
    Square - O'Connell Street - College Green - St. Stephen's Green - (Bleeding Horse - Harold's Cross - Kimmage - KCR - Walkinstown)/(Bleeding Horse - Rathmines - Rathgar - Terenure - Templeogue).

Line 2: (Finglas)/(Other northside location) - Broombridge - Broadstone - River House/Fishmarket - Christchurch - Golden Lane - St. Stephen's Green - Earlsfort Terrace - Ranelagh - Milltown - Windy Arbour - Ballally - Sandyford - Leopardstown - Cherrywood.

The '/' in the above indicates 'and/or'. Interchange of lines 1 and 2 would take place at St. Stephen's Green.

I hope that helps.

I am amazed that you find it so difficult, but I will do as you say.

Reading from north to south:

Line 1: Swords - Airport - Ballymun - DCU - Drumcondra - Mountjoy
    Square - O'Connell Street - College Green - St. Stephen's Green - (Bleeding Horse - Harold's Cross - Kimmage - KCR - Walkinstown)/(Bleeding Horse - Rathmines - Rathgar - Terenure - Templeogue).

Line 2: (Finglas)/(Other northside location) - Broombridge - Broadstone - River House/Fishmarket - Christchurch - Golden Lane - St. Stephen's Green - Earlsfort Terrace - Ranelagh - Milltown - Windy Arbour - Ballally - Sandyford - Leopardstown - Cherrywood.

The '/' in the above indicates 'and/or'. Interchange of lines 1 and 2 would take place at St. Stephen's Green.

I hope that helps.
    This (see picture) has nothing to do with MN.

Map : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yye_-VygHZVmgH9E0n7MwiG1fbU&usp=sharing

LXFlyer wrote: »

Not if you follow the green area along the curve of the river -- moving the new playground and closing that minor road for a few years isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Mod: Can we stick to Metro North.

If you want to wield crayons, then there is full colour options on other threads like
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057743805 or http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055630770
    or even open a new one.

Lots of possibilities, but not here.

• Advertisement

Sorry Sam, hope you don't mind, I just want to say thanks to strassenwo!f for outlining his idea. Much clearer now.

It is an interesting idea, but not a hope in hell in happening. That is a 5 billion+ project, without the cost of DU. Unfortunately not a hope.

The best we can hope for is that Metro North in some form happens.

If they can cheaply upgrade the Green Luas line, then that is the icing on top IMO and more then what we originally thought would happen.

Hopefully while building Stephens Green station, they can also put in place the ability for a future spur to Rathmines, etc. and hopefully the Luas Green Line will eventually get extended into Finglas. But I see non of this happening until the new Metro North is built. That really is priority number one IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement