Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Just had an idea:
    If the metro south does go ahead in the end, they have ample space at Castle Golf Club in Rathfarnham for the tunnel to surface, and potential to develop the whole area around it, as well as making metro available to a different part of the city to the LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Just had an idea:
    If the metro south does go ahead in the end, they have ample space at Castle Golf Club in Rathfarnham for the tunnel to surface, and potential to develop the whole area around it, as well as making metro available to a different part of the city to the LUAS.

I think you've gotten the wrong end of the stick around Metro "South" - it's purely an in-place upgrade of the existing Luas Green Line from somewhere just south of Charlemont, not an entirely new line.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think you've gotten the wrong end of the stick around Metro "South" - it's purely an in-place upgrade of the existing Luas Green Line from somewhere just south of Charlemont, not an entirely new line.

I thought there was talk of tunnelling it?

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    I thought there was talk of tunnelling it?

Just between the Metro North southern end and wherever it takes over the existing Green Line - somewhere between Charlemont and Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I never understood the point in this project anyway..the luas green line seems fine to me..does its job..bit packed at rush hour but like I think it serves the areas it runs through pretty well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

wakka12 wrote: »
    I never understood the point in this project anyway..the luas green line seems fine to me..does its job..bit packed at rush hour but like I think it serves the areas it runs through pretty well

It’s already overcapacity at times and the land isn’t half developed around it.

Capacity issues are going to get a lot worse before it gets upgraded — once Cherrywood etc are built up it will start to get harder to get on an inbound tram at rush hour further out from the canal.

The Cross City extension will also increase demand.

That’s even before any extension to Bray.

wakka12 wrote: »

I think it's probably a rather minor project all told - the line itself needs very little work, I don't know whether they plan to close up some of the at-grade road crossings, but otherwise it'd mostly involve that short extra bit of tunneling (which presumably would happen concurrent with the Metro North portion), and some platform work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cormac616

All the south Dublin politicians want a direct route the airport if they are gonna get this thing built!

cormac616 wrote: »
    All the south Dublin politicians want a direct route the airport if they are gonna get this thing built!

If that is what it takes to get it built, do it. It's not like the south upgrades would be white elephant either, they are actually needed, just with less priority than other projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Just between the Metro North southern end and wherever it takes over the existing Green Line - somewhere between Charlemont and Ranelagh.

Would that mean the Luas green line will be done away with eventually because it will be upgraded to metro and then run just Charlemont/ranelagh to Broombridge?

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    Would that mean the Luas green line will be done away with eventually because it will be upgraded to metro and then run just Charlemont/ranelagh to Broombridge?

The plans for this were never really made public, so it's mostly all guesswork, but I'd imagine it might actually terminate at SSG rather than Charlemont - I believe SSG provides a better terminus and turnaround infrastructure, and there would probably be a Metro stop somewhere between SSG and Charlemont to make up for the loss of the Green Line track.

Of course, my preference would be that the south Green Line gets a new route that serves the unserved southwest of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The plans for this were never really made public, so it's mostly all guesswork, but I'd imagine it might actually terminate at SSG rather than Charlemont - I believe SSG provides a better terminus and turnaround infrastructure, and there would probably be a Metro stop somewhere between SSG and Charlemont to make up for the loss of the Green Line track.

Of course, my preference would be that the south Green Line gets a new route that serves the unserved southwest of the city.

Will there be an underground station at harcourt on metro south? If not, then it would be foolish to stop the LUAS at Stephens Green?

If Metro South happened, could the LUAS go out another direction from Harcourt? Along the canal?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Will there be an underground station at harcourt on metro south? If not, then it would be foolish to stop the LUAS at Stephens Green?

If Metro South happened, could the LUAS go out another direction from Harcourt? Along the canal?

As I said, I don't believe there were ever any concrete plans for this, so nobody knows. The spacing between the New Metro North stations would suggest that there would only be room for 1 Metro "South" station between SSG and Ranelagh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Chivito550 wrote: »

Either continue the Green Line elsewhere, or potentially terminate just before canal/Charlemont stop (Peter Place)?

Amirani wrote: »
    Either continue the Green Line elsewhere, or potentially terminate just before canal/Charlemont stop (Peter Place)?

I think they'd probably terminate at SSG, which already has the capacity to act as a terminus, whereas at Charlemont you'd have to have the trams continue back to SSG for driver switches etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I would love to know how much of a "politics" thing this whole farce is. If FF were the main party, would they bother sending "their" project back to the drawing board?

Reading different articles and listening to different news shows this project seams to have 3 different names in New metro North, Metro north and Dublin Metro , on nta site it's called New Metro North, not that it really maters what's it's called once it gets built but what is the current official name?

roadmaster wrote: »
    Reading different articles and listening to different news shows this project seams to have 3 different names in New metro North, Metro north and Dublin Metro , on nta site it's called New Metro North, not that it really maters what's it's called once it gets built but what is the current official name?

I believe New Metro North is the current officially active plan. Dublin Metro was very recently registered as a trademark by TFI, so that will probably become the official name of the operational system, with a specific line name (like Luas Cross City was originally BXD and will just become part of the Green Line). Metro North is distinct from New Metro North only in the sense that the 'New' part is the 2015 plan, as compared to the original 2006/7 plan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dublin Metro makes the most sense if the line is now going to be continued south along the Green Luas line.

Also it is a better name for the overall network of what is hopefully just the first of more lines to come.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interestingly dublinmetro.ie was registered by the RPA back in 2002

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Excuse my ignorance but what is SSG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭jd

fxotoole wrote: »
    St. Stephen's Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

fxotoole wrote: »

St Stephen’s Green

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I would love to know how much of a "politics" thing this whole farce is. If FF were the main party, would they bother sending "their" project back to the drawing board?

If they didn't send it back, then they'd just have delayed it for years. There was basically no money to devote to projects that weren't designed to keep a government in power.

Given the Luas crush at peak times and that's it's now under capacity, with extra capacity now being added to green line. I wonder will we be trolled with the suggested 60m platforms for metro north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Given the Luas crush at peak times and that's it's now under capacity, with extra capacity now being added to green line. I wonder will we be trolled with the suggested 60m platforms for metro north?

We can just do the same as the Luas. 4-6 capacity upgrades in 12 years. Sure how much much could it cost. ;)

We can just do the same as the Luas. 4-6 capacity upgrades in 12 years. Sure how much much could it cost. ;)

I'm sure it's going to be really straight forward and cheap with the underground stations!

If they must build only 60m platforms, then fine, however what they absolutely must do is bore/excavate the stations initially to allow for platform expansion in future, and not just to 90m. That would reduce the future expansion costs substantially.

If they must build only 60m platforms, then fine, however what they absolutely must do is bore/excavate the stations initially to allow for platform expansion in future, and not just to 90m. That would reduce the future expansion costs substantially.

Surly they will do that at least , there has to be people working on this project with foresight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

surely the cost is in the boring?

once it's done surely they might as well make the platforms 90m

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement