Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ciaran75 wrote: »
    If Connolly is already at capacity, how will it take extra trains once Maynooth and Kildare lines have been upgraded to DART

Looks like Docklands station will also see big increases and act as a terminal statino for one of those lines. If you want to go to Connolly or further south and your on a train destined for Docklands, then you change for a south bound train at Whitworth Road. Likewise you can also change at Whitworth road to head to the Airport or O'Connell St - Tara - Stephens Green via Metro.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Idbatterim wrote: »
    would they not have Colm Mccarthy on calling it a white elephant? Like he no doubt claimed the Luas would be, the one that people cant even board at peak times?

I'd much rather Colm McCarthy came on to point out the obscene wastes of money in the Irish public service as opposed to the €5m per year that SF & FF are so focused on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I take it that it will run underground in Ballymun? (Ok Ann Graham on the radio has just confirmed it will operate from Charlemont to passed the airport, underground)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just reading the document on the Tie-In options. The preferred option, Option 4(B), Ranelagh In-Line is a bit yikes!

It will require the full closure of the Luas green line between Ranelagh and Charlemont for one whole year!!! Yikes, those who were mad about Luas Cross City are going to be fuming about that.

It will also mean no engineering connection between the lines.

They do mention the option of running the Luas from Harcourt St down Ranelagh Road to Ranelagh to avoid disturbing the Luas during this time, but don't go into much detail on it.

Ann Graham has just come onto Today FM to discuss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

bk wrote: »
    Looks like Docklands station will also see big increases and act as a terminal statino for one of those lines. If you want to go to Connolly or further south and your on a train destined for Docklands, then you change for a south bound train at Whitworth Road. Likewise you can also change at Whitworth road to head to the Airport or O'Connell St - Tara - Stephens Green via Metro.

Thanks, will maynooth line terminate at connolly so would have to change to DART to go towards bray or can you still remain on same train till Tara / pearse like now

I get maynooth to Tara each day but would prefer not to have a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Is this a LOL moment or will it actually be built?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Is this a LOL moment or will it actually be built?

Id say it will be built, barring another economic disaster between now and the TBM's going into the ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

So, the detailed station plans are here (note big PDF):

http://data.tii.ie/metrolink/alignment-options-study/study-1/metrolink-concept-engineering-drawings-book.pdf

They confirm that the station platforms are 90m and that the station boxes themselves are quiet a bit more then that.

Whitworth Road and Tara St look particularly impressive. Here is a cross section of Whitworth Road with substantial Irish Rail station included:

446244.jpeg

I'm genuinely excited about the potential for the area around Tara Street/Pearse Street. Yes, Johnny Ronan's 22 storey tower next to the existing Tara Street station was rejected this week, but with Apollo House currently being demolished and impressive redevelopment proposals recently submitted for College House and Hawkins House, this long-neglected area of the city centre could soon be a thriving district with it's own metro and mainline stations.

Furthermore, Trinity will soon have a business school and new student accommodation opening out onto Pearse Street. Hopefully this will be the start of a gradual linking of the traditional city centre and Grand Canal Dock areas.

In saying that, I'm also somewhat concerned by the lack of any enabling works for a DART Underground interchange at St Stephens Green within these Metrolink drawings. I know that project is not included in the 2040 development plan, but still...

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Thanks, will maynooth line terminate at connolly so would have to change to DART to go towards bray or can you still remain on same train till Tara / pearse like now

I get maynooth to Tara each day but would prefer not to have a change.

We don't know yet, exactly how it will be arranged, but I assume it will be one of two options:

1) Your train (which will now be electric) will go through Connolly/Tara and continue south to all stations to Bray.
    2) It will terminate at Docklands, so you change to another DART at Whitworth Road to head to Connolly and then south to all stations to Bray.

I suspect the first option is most likely for the Maynooth line, but no guarantee.

Don't forget another option for you will be to get off at Whitworth Road and get on a Metro that heads to Tara St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I think we missed a big opportunity in taking traffic off the m1 and thus m50, with such a small scale p+r. We should be building an efficient, multiple multi storey p+r on the one site to hold 10000 cars to make any real dent in the traffic levels. 3000 parking spaces divided over the four hour rush hour gives you 750 parking spaces per hour which is a small figure compared to the level of traffic using the m1.
    A missed opportunity there. I know its not as big a subject as low floor or high floor metros but still pretty important in reducing car useage on m50/m1

tom1ie wrote: »
    I think we missed a big opportunity in taking traffic off the m1 and thus m50, with such a small scale p+r. We should be building an efficient, multiple multi storey p+r on the one site to hold 10000 cars to make any real dent in the traffic levels. 3000 parking spaces divided over the four hour rush hour gives you 750 parking spaces per hour which is a small figure compared to the level of traffic using the m1.
    A missed opportunity there. I know its not as big a subject as low floor or high floor metros but still pretty important in reducing car useage on m50/m1

The proposed P+R is a multistorey according to the plans. Looks like there is plenty of space for expansion there if the demand is there.

They also have a marked in option for a future station at Daridstown, which I assume would be for a second P+R on the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭thomasj

cgcsb wrote:
    crucially it includes new DART stations at Heuston West and Cabra as predicted on boards. Also the layout of the lines does give a little hint about proposed service pattern i.e. Hazelhatch to GCD and Maynooth to Docks.

That map to me looks the other way around , ie it's the hazelhatch line going up the Midlands line towards the docks.

thomasj wrote: »
    That map to me looks the other way around , ie it's the hazelhatch line going up the Midlands line towards the docks.

I don't think you can tell anything really from that map. I would expect major track realignments around Whitworth Road, Connolly and Docklands.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

tom1ie wrote: »

Remember there will be a reduction in traffic volumes anyway due to traffic changing to using the Metro without driving to a Metro station.

3000 spaces is a great start for the P&R. Carpooling incentives and bike spaces will further help here. If the P&R were too big the P&R itself would become congested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Having a look through the plans today and am well impressed. Dublin will finally be getting a metro like every other major European city.

A few questions though I'm wondering if others can answer (or can see what I can't):

Will the trains be automated or need drivers? From the looks of the press photos it seems they will be auto?

What are the chances the project will get delayed by objection after objection to an bord pleanala? Really grinds my gears that a single person can hold up a critical infrastructure project that would benefit the country as a whole (I'm thinking the Apple datacenter).

Elessar wrote: »
    Will the trains be automated or need drivers? From the looks of the press photos it seems they will be auto?

They haven't decided yet, seem to be considering both options.
    Elessar wrote: »
    What are the chances the project will get delayed by objection after objection to an bord pleanala? Really grinds my gears that a single person can hold up a critical infrastructure project that would benefit the country as a whole (I'm thinking the Apple datacenter).

Very likely to go through a torturous ABP process and probably go to court then. It requires a whole bunch of CPO's and nosiy work to get done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Very likely to go through a torturous ABP process and probably go to court then. It requires a whole bunch of CPO's and nosiy work to get done.

I fear you are right. If anything guarantees a delay to a large project it's the planning process. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we don't see this operational until after 2030. An bord pleanala appeals, Supreme Court appeals, EU court appeals, all because Mary McIdontwantprogress is enraged that a native bird/squirrel/swan won't be able to nest where it usually does, or some such nonsense. This should be marked critical infrastructure and given the go ahead ASAP. Sorry for the rant :D Glad it's at least on the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I know there has to be planning laws and a process needs to take place but for a major infrastructure project likes this it should be sped up and have ways to prevent every nimby appealing it.
    This project is of national importance and should be a fast tracking planning application.

Anyone know how it works in other EU countries when they are building a a major PT project?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It's live!

It renders dreadfully on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

cgcsb wrote: »
    Stephen's Green West station seem very remote from existing luas and proposed future DART underground station.

In what world is any part of SSG remote from a other part of it. You can walk around the entire place in minutes

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Here are the options, including Luas at 55m and my option x that they didn't include:

Luas: 55m LFV - Driver Controlled - 20 TPHPD: 7,380 PPDPH

Scenario 1: 60m LFV - Driver Controlled - 30 TPHPD: 12,390 PPDPH
    Scenario 2: 60m HFV - Driverless Control - 40 TPHPD: 18,000 PPDPH
    Scenario 3: 90m LFV - Driver Controlled - 30 TPHPD: 22,320 PPDPH
    Scenario x: 90m HFV - Driverless Control - 40 TPHPD: 27,000 PPDPH

I have to say, it feels like they have already decided on option 1 and trying to hood wink people on the 90m being a future upgrade and ignoring the obviously much superior automated HFV option like Copenhagen has.

Scenario 1 is less then twice the capacity of Luas, while option x would be 4 times the possible max capacity of Luas for only a little extra money.

Where do you get your figures for scenario x as they seem a little off.
    Going from 60m LFV to 60m HFV gives an increase of 5,610 or 45%
    Going from 90m LFV to 90m HFV gives an increase of only 4,680 or only 20%

I know figures probably won't be linear but the 90m HFV figure looks way too low. It should be at least over 30,000 I'd say at a guesstimate.

It really needs to be HFV and driverless. A 45% increase in passenger capacity on the 60m option is massive. It would be insane to pass that up just to save on the hassle of upgrading the green line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This from Na Fianna GAA, the old trick of contacting people at 4:30 on a friday (and a bank holiday) is classic govt dept burying the chance to respond. Filthy carry on

At a meeting in Mobhi Road on Tuesday night 20th March, members of the Na Fianna Club Executive were advised by representatives from Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) that the construction programme for the proposed Metro Link (formerly known as Metro North and due to commence in 2020), would involve the requisition of the front pitch and both all-weather pitches on Mobhi Road as well as Home Farm soccer pitch. The front pitch and both all-weather pitches as we currently now know them would become a Tunnel Boring Depot for the duration of the Metro Link construction project, with a permanent underground station being situated under Mobhi Road upon completion.

The first contact that the Club had with TII was through a phone call received at approximately 4.30pm on Friday 16th March, bank holiday weekend. This was the first time the Club was alerted that the new Metro Project would have any implication for the Club. TII requested the meeting, mentioned above, where we were informed of the severe impact the proposed project would have on Na Fianna’s home.

The Club is naturally very concerned and alarmed with this news. We are also deeply disappointed by the lack of respect afforded that a decision of this magnitude was advised to CLG Na Fianna, less than 48 hours prior to the formal Government announcement.

The physical impact of this proposal on Na Fianna as we currently understand it will be;

Loss of main Mobhi road pitch for a minimum of 3 years, potentially 6 or more years
    Loss of both All-Weather pitches for a minimum of 3 years, potentially 6 or more years.
    Significant loss of revenue from clubhouse activities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Are CPOs of homes deliverable? Whatever about a bit of farm land or road frontage but actually taking possession of people's homes? Is the legislation in place for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

marno21 wrote: »
    From their club perspective, this is a massive disruption and it would be negligent on the club officers not to start a large fight immediately.

From an outside perspective, it's one of the unavoidable realities of the project. Such a project cannot be implemented without significant disruption, and the benefits post opening will be massive for everyone in the area

There seems to be a lot of potential site that they could relocate to for a couple of years.
    • Behind the Botanic Gardens
    • DCU
    • All Hallows
    • Whitehall
    • 2X Potential sites of Griffith Avenue

While it'd be a big inconvenience for the club, it's not the end of the world for 3-6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

marno21 wrote: »
    Can we save this please for a day on which we receive bad news?

The scheme is to start in 2021, not 2027. That's only 3 years away. There seems to be a lot of marketing around the scheme which will hopefully publicise it to the point where cancelling it becomes a major political issue for all involved.

There is also the matter that there are no public transport projects planned for Dublin in the short or medium term, and if none go ahead it'll be a political issue as Dublin's congestion issues don't need explaining on here.

Today is not the day for cynicism, the day of a deferral announcement is. We are all familiar with what happened Metro North, and I think what we got today more than makes up for it.

Sorry Marno21, but I am too long in the tooth to be anything less than cynical. I wish everyone working on the project well but experience teaches me that political and economic tinkering is endemic in Ireland.

Where do you get your figures for scenario x as they seem a little off.
    Going from 60m LFV to 60m HFV gives an increase of 5,610 or 45%
    Going from 90m LFV to 90m HFV gives an increase of only 4,680 or only 20%

I know figures probably won't be linear but the 90m HFV figure looks way too low. It should be at least over 30,000 I'd say at a guesstimate.

It really needs to be HFV and driverless. A 45% increase in passenger capacity on the 60m option is massive. It would be insane to pass that up just to save on the hassle of upgrading the green line.

Yes, that is weird. My Scenario x was based on the 60m HFV number and increasing it to 90m:

18,000 / 60 × 90 = 27,000

The LFV numbers are a bit weird, but I think they scale differently from the HFV numbers.

The driverless HFV option doesn't include a cab for the driver, so it should scale directly. While the LFV both include a cab, so adding an extra 30 meters should add a bit more due to the first 60 meter already including the cab, if that makes sense.

But I agree a 90m driverless could be even higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Ireland trains

I think irish rail should electrify platforms 1-3 at Connolly and have half of the Maynooth trains (3) and half of the Drogheda trains (3) terminating at connolly and the other half (6) go on to bray/ Greystones and have the Hazelhatch and m3 Parkway trains going to Docklands and the Howth service into a shuttle to Howth JN. Some Hazelhatch services should continue to Bray/GCD and some terminating at Heuston and then have some bi mode trains from Connolly to Portlaiose to connect to Heuston intercity trains

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

So the Phoenix Park Tunnel route. A stretch of railline CIE managers told a government committee in 2003 was "not capable of being used by modern commuter trains" is to be the prime interchange location between the Metro and Commuter rail.

• Advertisement

So the Phoenix Park Tunnel route. A stretch of railline CIE managers told a government committee in 2003 was "not capable of being used by modern commuter trains" is to be the prime interchange location between the Metro and Commuter rail.

It makes sense. The PPT was always perfectly fine, Irish Rail just really wanted Dart Underground (understandable) and they knew that PPT + Whitworth Road would greatly reduce the need for DU. So they fought PPT tooth and nail.

I suspect we will still eventually get DU, but this could help tide us well for years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement