Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,612 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

marno21 wrote: »
    Remember there will be a reduction in traffic volumes anyway due to traffic changing to using the Metro without driving to a Metro station.

3000 spaces is a great start for the P&R. Carpooling incentives and bike spaces will further help here. If the P&R were too big the P&R itself would become congested.

Agreed but remember the p+r is specifically to reduce the traffic on the motorway network. Its aimed at people who travel from outside Dublin into Dublin. That's why I think 3000 is way too low.
    The traffic changing to the metro who don't drive to a station will be "dubliners" who might not have a massive effect on the motorway as they'll be going on the metro if they work in cc, or southside as that's where the metro goes.
    This is just my humble opinion of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

Elessar wrote: »
    Having a look through the plans today and am well impressed. Dublin will finally be getting a metro like every other major European city.

It is not going to happen. All the political parties will fire up the nimbys to wreck it as they have been doing since 1973. McCarthy will get his throne at RTE to tear it down.

I was on a completely empty brand new motorway between Galway and Tuam the other day.

This Ireland and Ireland will never change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭ricimaki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭trellheim

It will require the full closure of the Luas green line between Ranelagh and Charlemont for one whole year!!! Yikes, those who were mad about Luas Cross City are going to be fuming about that.

But.... in all fairness we've know that for 10 years or so that that would happen , and it will be at least one year and probably longer while they muck about with all the stations

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

trellheim wrote: »
    But.... in all fairness we've know that for 10 years or so that that would happen , and it will be at least one year and probably longer while they muck about with all the stations

Well not necessarily. For instance Option 4(A) has them building the line parallel to the existing line north of Ranelagh and then connecting in. That would greatly reduce disruption, there would be some of course, but not a whole year. Also it would mean that the could move trams between the two lines for engineering works.

Seems like a better option to me. But slightly more expensive (though probably cheaper if they actually went ahead with running Luas down Ranelagh Road).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

trellheim wrote: »

They'll probably close it in 2021 for a year and spin it as "enabling works".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Thanks, will maynooth line terminate at connolly so would have to change to DART to go towards bray or can you still remain on same train till Tara / pearse like now

I get maynooth to Tara each day but would prefer not to have a change.
    Why? I change 3 times on my way to work via my son's kindergarten and still arrive at a predictable time at my desk. A good system is actually built on connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

bk wrote: »
    . Also it would mean that the could move trams between the two lines for engineering works.

Having no engineering link would be criminal and repeating history. The Green and Red lines have been linked for barley 4 months and there has already been circa 15 movements between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,815 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't know why we will be sending tourists to the north end of O'Connell St.

Don't know why the east side of St Stephen's Green instead of the more logical west side by Grafton St.

Whole thing is an under spec mess. What's the cheapest we can get a way with? - Nothing has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What is under spec ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Don't know why we will be sending tourists to the northside of O'Connell St.

Nobody is being sent anywhere.
    Don't know why the east side of St Stephen's Green instead of the more logical west side by Grafton St.

It's a ten minute walk. Or get off at Charlemont.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Whole thing is an under spec mess. What's the cheapest we can get a way with? - Nothing has changed.

It allows for a better link in with Tara St and Irish Rail services there, which the old O'Connell St to Stephens Green West alignment didn't have.

It also avoids the trouble caused with the tree huggers and digging up Stephens Green.

While I agree that North O'Connell St isn't ideal, Stephens Green is mostly fine and the city will likely change and develop around these changes. Perhaps we will see a healthy expansion of retail away from Grafton St. It is too small to handle modern retail needs anyway.

Yeah it's outrageous imagine people having to walk for 2 or even 3 minutes!

Nothing is under spec. Based on previous experience however I'll wait until it's open before I break out the champagne.

The route via Witworth Road actually makes this the best route I've ever seen. The only slightly regrettable thing is the poor connection to Red line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Khuitlio wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of potential site that they could relocate to for a couple of years.
    • Behind the Botanic Gardens
    • DCU
    • All Hallows
    • Whitehall
    • 2X Potential sites of Griffith Avenue

While it'd be a big inconvenience for the club, it's not the end of the world for 3-6 years.

3-6 years is the junior to senior cycle for a club, it could be the end of the world for Na Fianna over 3-forever years. But heres an idea take the ample private site's that Na Fianna could move to and stick the metro building site on one of them, like you said. There's not shortage of sites around there. There was a massive one on Botanic road that still hasn't had so much as a brick laid on it yet.

This is in the same week that taxpayers money gets pumped into a private school sports facilities that just happened to be in the Ministers constituency, some contrast.

murphaph wrote: »
    The only slightly regrettable thing is the poor connection to Red line.

Again a 3-5 minute walk isn't a poor connection. Sure it could be closer but in the grand scheme of things it will be very handy

It allows for a better link in with Tara St and Irish Rail services there, which the old O'Connell St to Stephens Green West alignment didn't have.

It also avoids the trouble caused with the tree huggers and digging up Stephens Green.

While I agree that North O'Connell St isn't ideal, Stephens Green is mostly fine and the city will likely change and develop around these changes. Perhaps we will see a healthy expansion of retail away from Grafton St. It is too small to handle modern retail needs anyway.

No diiging of Stephens green is a plus and also the Luas on the west side already so it opens up the east side to a bit more footfall.

North OCS probably is the best place for it,any further down OCS and its nearly on top of Tara stop.If you wanna get to O'Connell bridge its basically the same distance walk from Tara or OCS stops.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In no surprise, Irish Times are leading with stories about homes being demolished and Na Fianna's pitches

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-metro-may-require-homes-to-be-demolished-1.3437105

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-pledge-to-na-fianna-as-work-on-metro-link-will-hit-pitches-1.3437035

Given Pascal Donohue's previous DU issues due to East Wall constituents complaining, this may be an interesting one

Bambi wrote: »
    3-6 years is the junior to senior cycle for a club, it could be the end of the world for Na Fianna over 3-forever years. But heres an idea take the ample private site's that Na Fianna could move to and stick the metro building site on one of them, like you said. There's not shortage of sites around there. There was a massive one on Botanic road that still hasn't had so much as a brick laid on it yet.

This is in the same week that taxpayers money gets pumped into a private school sports facilities that just happened to be in the Ministers constituency, some contrast.

So move the stop to Botanic Rd and have it basically on top of the Whitworth station ?

You cant just throw down a station anywhere and bend that tunnel to suit.Its unfortuante for the club but there will always be dispution if you are building huge PT projects.

No sure what the money going to the school has to do with this ?iirc Na Fianna got a huge grant when they were upgrading facilities.

Bambi wrote: »

Non of the other sites are on the chosen alignment.

It really isn't the end of the world.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    In no surprise, Irish Times are leading with stories about homes being demolished and Na Fianna's pitches

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-metro-may-require-homes-to-be-demolished-1.3437105

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-pledge-to-na-fianna-as-work-on-metro-link-will-hit-pitches-1.3437035

Given Pascal Donohue's previous DU issues due to East Wall constituents complaining, this may be an interesting one
    British tabloids have Brussels. Irish broadsheets have this stuff. It's pathetic all-round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Surely given that the stations are underground There'll be pedestrian entrances and exits near SSG west and GPO?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I used to live around Kings Cross in London, and in the years that I was there, it went from slightly sketchy(it was way worse before I got there) to a trendy place that people wanted to live. Turns out that a whole load of investment in the area turned it around. Hopefully the entire area, between the Metrolink stopping at North O'Connell St, the Luas going through the area, the plans for the Central Library on Parnell Square, goes through a rejuvenation.

Surely given that the stations are underground There'll be pedestrian entrances and exits near SSG west and GPO?

Not per the plans. It looks like they are going for a cheaper option now where the station entrances are directly above the station boxes. Less digging required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Non of the other sites are on the chosen alignment.

It really isn't the end of the world.

It’s collateral damage really, needed for the benefit of Dublin but a huge huge impact for the club and its community.

I think it would be unfair to class them as NIMBY’s but I think this will be a huge focal point of the planning.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I used to live around Kings Cross in London, and in the years that I was there, it went from slightly sketchy(it was way worse before I got there) to a trendy place that people wanted to live. Turns out that a whole load of investment in the area turned it around. Hopefully the entire area, between the Metrolink stopping at North O'Connell St, the Luas going through the area, the plans for the Central Library on Parnell Square, goes through a rejuvenation.

Yes, that area is already gentrifying nicely.

I was walking along Parnell St last night after coming out of Cineworld and the street was buzzing with young students and professionals. The Luas is already clearly having an effect. Along with all the new student accommodation going in in the area.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It’s collateral damage really, needed for the benefit of Dublin but a huge huge impact for the club and its community.

I think it would be unfair to class them as NIMBY’s but I think this will be a huge focal point of the planning.

Whitehall GAA club is just up the road and there is plenty of space there at the old Port Tunnel portal site. I'm sure they can come to an agreement for them to temporarily move there.

It isn't like there aren't already a lot of GAA clubs in the area!

Also I don't think the community around it will be very happy if they hold it up. In particular DCU has a lot of pull there I'd imagine.

Van.Bosch wrote: »

It's a pain for the club alright but it's not like it their only playing pitches. The club makes extensive use for the local parks too and they've a site at the airport. They could come to an agreement with DCU to share their pitches on Ballymun Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

donvito99 wrote: »
    Nobody is being sent anywhere.

It's a ten minute walk. Or get off at Charlemont.

Closer to 5, maybe 10 if you want to ramble about in the park itself.

Only quibble I'd have with the route is it not connecting to the northern line at Donabate.

Though I can only imagine how much fun the Green Line is going to be during construction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

CatInABox wrote: »

Exactly. O'Connell St/Parnell Area is due a large upgrade in the next few years and this will only help. Outside of the Red Line connection, I actually think this may be a better location for a station than close to the Liffey (which the Green Line covers well).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement