Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That would be great, but how would that happen? Does the line presently go into Glasnevin? (I didn't think so but would happily be wrong go have a good connection to this service)

Yes, both the Maynooth line and the line under Phoenix Park from Heuston (in other words Kildare line) both pass within a few meters of one another at Whitworth Road.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The RTE reporting of this tonight was beyond disgraceful

Would make you want to blow your head off with a large gun

What a shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Bambi wrote: »
    DCU has lots of playing grounds there they can volunteer, so off they go. DCU are not the massive boon to the area that people imagine

Jonny cooper making the point that Na Fianna have 125 teams and 3,500 members on their books. You think the community around there going to be happy losing that when theres a massive site a stones throw away that is still waste ground which the government just dont want to pay for?
    Government = taxpayer. Na Fianna will I'm quite certain be provided temporary accommodation and will have their existing facilities handed back in top condition. And most locals will be far more interested in getting their metro station. 125 teams is still only max 3000 players. Of those many will be actually be happy to accept the inconvenience for a metro line to the city and airport!

Can't believe we're talking about this aspect of the project....no, actually I can because it's always like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

On the Metrolink.ie website, it says Glasnevin Station. That's actually within Phibsborough, Glasnevin begins just around the corner. Is there any chance they are CPOing these buildings to make room a designated buslane? There's a bottleneck there that can be a nightmare in the late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I wonder now that we will have lots of proper connections can we rename all the lines.
    I am slightly colour blind so would prefer a numbering system like in Paris/New York (maybe in tandem with colours).
    So as an example...
    Metro is Line 1
    Dart - Line 2
    Luas Red - Line 3 (maybe 3A, 3B etc. to reflect possible different destinations)
    Luas Green (Charlemont to Broombridge) - Line 4
    Luas Green (Sandyford to Brides Glen) - Line 5

Etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

Why are the media so negative on this project. Another article in indo with the headline of houses having to be cpo'd. If we want proper infrastructure in this country people will have to start excepting that land and property has to be taken. I wonder have the people who are going to loose their houses ever think about the houses that were lost to the motorway network while they drive from Dublin to other cities in 2 hour journeys.
    Its part of progress unfortunately.

Also on a side note, I wonder how long before they announce and extension of the Luas to Bray.

100 homes in upmarket Dublin areas to be knocked down to build €3bn Metro line

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/100-homes-in-upmarket-dublin-areas-to-be-knocked-down-to-build-3bn-metro-line-36735189.html

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

bk wrote: »
    The point is DCU own vastly more land in the area then anyone. That makes them part of the community and a bigger say then most. But I agree, they could well offer the use of some of their land temporarily.

I live in the area. I frequently have had the lovely cavary there on a Sunday.

It is certainly a pity to see it be effected for a few years, but I think it is a cost well worth paying and frankly I'm sure many of their neighbours would agree, specially when they consider the big increase in house values this will have for them, never mind a nice quick trip into town and the airport.

The club won't lose the land, the land will be put back after it is finished. And I'm sure they will be handsomely paid for the inconvenience for a few years.

That location is needed in order to hit Whitworth Road, which is key to all this plan. It is where they can connect the Kildare and Maynooth lines with the Metro.

I don't really see any other option, it is either there or the front of the Botanic Gardens. I suspect the Gardens would face a lot more local resistance.

Actually the original Griffith avenue station would still work fine, link better with other transport and it’s barely off line between DCU and Whitworth. It is also much easier to build the station (with the slight extra tunnel distance for the 300m detour.

It’s where they should have left it if they had even a 5 minute think about the local impact. It doesn’t bode well for the project getting off the ground if this is their approach tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

bk wrote: »
    This tidbit is interesting. So Na Fianna were mistaken. The TBM portal is not planned to go on their grounds. That greatly reduces the disturbance to them to just a 120 meter station box. Should be only a one year or so disturbance, not 3 to 6 years they were claiming.

Seems they were crying about nothing.

The representative on morning ireland was asked about that, and given the 6-7 year disruption timeframe and didn’t disagree at all. She confirmed they will use the grounds to launch the machine and said its because there aren’t many sites in north Dublin suitable. The original one for that station 300m away seems to save slipped their minds. The answer re the schools on the site was poor also, she sounded like they hadn’t really thought it through at all and also that they weren’t really wedded to the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I suppose its a handy article to write. A massive housing crisis and the government are knocking houses.

I think plenty of people in this country hate PT and don't realise that there will have to be disruption to build this project and if its not built then Dublin is basically ****ed.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I suppose its a handy article to write. A massive housing crisis and the government are knocking houses.

I think plenty of people in this country hate PT and don't realise that there will have to be disruption to build this project and if its not built then Dublin is basically ****ed.

Its the tone that annoyed me more. Comes across as the upmarket houses are more of a lose than any of the rural houses that were demolised for other projects.

Im surprised though that the homeless campaigners haven't jumped on the 3 bn being spent when theres a houses crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭plodder

Been out of touch a bit. So, don't know if this has been asked. The Fosterstown stop seems awful close to Swords central and very far away from the airport. Given the latter stretch is underground, should they leave a box in place for a future station if that land is ever developed for housing, which seems logical to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

murphaph wrote: »
    British tabloids have Brussels. Irish broadsheets have this stuff. It's pathetic all-round.

Is it really pathetic? There's a housing shortage, houses in some of those areas are demanding a massive premium, do you think anyone with a house in such an area will give it up easily without dragging it through the courts or demanding a hefty pay off, and where will they end up moving to?

Genuine question, will these costs and potential court delays have been factored into the costing and timing of the project?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Hurrache wrote: »
    Is it really pathetic? There's a housing shortage, houses in some of those areas are demanding a massive premium, do you think anyone with a house in such an area will give it up easily without dragging it through the courts or demanding a hefty pay off, and where will they end up moving to?

Genuine question, will these costs and potential court delays have been factored into the costing and timing of the project?

It's a project of national importance so it will be fast tracked. Also this project will open up thousands of new houses and change places like Swords from being an hour from the city centre to 25 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

They should have been factored in.
    Tbh negative spin regarding the loss of some housing is extremely shortsighted, particularly in enveloping it into the current crisis. Large scale public transport projects will open huge potential sustainable housing development increasing supply long term, while providing quick and consistent access to hubs for jobs such as the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It's a project of national importance so it will be fast tracked. Also this project will open up thousands of new houses and change places like Swords from being an hour from the city centre to 25 minutes.

In many instances, more than an hour from the city currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

These 100 properties that will be demolished is there any of the sites that can be rebuilt on when the metro is completed?

The 70 apartments at Tara St surely with the massive development planned for Apollo and Hawkins house site that it wouldnt be a massive issue for replacement apartments being bought there? Literally a few hundred yards away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't see the problem with that IT article. It just stated the facts as they are. The project is big and important enough that it will be able to pay appropriate compensation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

All of these problems are able to be resolved with the application of significant amounts of money. I'd prefer if the people behind this plan go in with a high offer to start with, and clear all potential obstacles in the way quickly. Appeals to all the various planning authorities, and then the process of proceeding upwards through the courts could add years onto the project.

The sooner the TBMs get into the ground, the better. Once they're in, the project isn't going to be cancelled/postponed, regardless of politics.

jvan wrote: »
    Why are the media so negative on this project.

They aren't been negative, they're reporting the news. Plenty of people have been attacking the various forms of media that last day or two, it seems that those people now want the media to become a type of Pravda and only report positives.
    Uriel. wrote: »
    Tbh negative spin regarding the loss of some housing is extremely shortsighted, particularly in enveloping it into the current crisis. Large scale public transport projects will open huge potential sustainable housing development increasing supply long term, while providing quick and consistent access to hubs for jobs such as the city centre.

I'm not debating the importance of the project, but it's a reality that the fact people will lose their current homes in the current environment is big news. And while we all like to think the project will be fast tracked, the reality is that it most likely won't due to legal challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I was a member in Na Fianna as a child and still know many who are members today. It would be a shame to see the club impacted like that but I don't understand why nobody has mentioned Albert College park as an alternative for launching the TBMs. The green space is at least as big as the Na Fianna/Home Farm section. Also the road outside it is a 6 lane dual carraigeway. Once you get to Griffith Avenue heading towards Na Fianna the road narrows massively to barely three lanes. It would make much more sense to keep the large trucks and machinery further out at the wider road. It would be much further away from residential properties too for the duration of construction.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

Anyone else notice the sudden arrival of eh, "strangers" into this thread?

The usual infrastructure shock fairies who showed no interest in this topic, and their arms now waving in convulsions over the metro leaving familes homeless and begging on the streets, or children deprived of kicking a football by the blue serpent for the unfortunate Yank tourists with their fifty suitcases dumped at the top of O'Connell Street....

It's like they are grown in a lab and sent out every time a major project for Dublin is announced. Nowhere else un the country. Just Dublin.

tobsey wrote: »
    Albert College park as an alternative for launching the TBMs.

Storage yard I think is what the grounds will be used for as opposed to a launch site.
    Anyone else notice the sudden arrivsl of eh, "strangers" into this thread?

Absolutely pathetic. But yeah, you got me, I'm a sleeper for a deep state special interest group who joined in anticipation of this announcement (because being a member of the deep state I was forewarned when the announcement will be made) and I'm now here to stir up public and civil unrest and have the whole project cancelled.

What's more surprising is the people thanking the post.

Why not get the mods to change the title to add "Positive news only" and you can ban anyone who dares dissent?

It's obvious you can read, but comprehension seems to be your issue. I'll simplify it for you, I argued the point that these things are relevant to the various forms of media reporting them, simple. But you seem to have read that I'm having some form of convulsions?

Can you explain how you came to that plainly incorrect conclusion, and why the person that thanked you, who I expected better from, agrees?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tobsey wrote: »
    I was a member in Na Fianna as a child and still know many who are members today. It would be a shame to see the club impacted like that but I don't understand why nobody has mentioned Albert College park as an alternative for launching the TBMs. The green space is at least as big as the Na Fianna/Home Farm section. Also the road outside it is a 6 lane dual carraigeway. Once you get to Griffith Avenue heading towards Na Fianna the road narrows massively to barely three lanes. It would make much more sense to keep the large trucks and machinery further out at the wider road. It would be much further away from residential properties too for the duration of construction.

Well they will be a station going in just a few dozen meters north of Albert Park for DCU/Collins Avenue. So you wouldn't duplicate that.

Though perhaps they could build a station there and drop both Collins Avenue and Na Fianna Stop. But then you'd serve a smaller catchment area.

And I wonder if they were worried about local and eco resistance to digging up a park. With the original MN project their was a lot of controversy about digging up Stephens Green. I wonder if they thought that there would be less outcry about digging up two playing fields, then knocking lots of old trees in a park and they might be right.

But good questions, worth asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

How many more people can fit on a driverless unit than a driver based one, based on 60 and 90m lengths?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

plodder wrote: »
    Been out of touch a bit. So, don't know if this has been asked. The Fosterstown stop seems awful close to Swords central and very far away from the airport. Given the latter stretch is underground, should they leave a box in place for a future station if that land is ever developed for housing, which seems logical to me.

Speaking as somebody who lives near the Fostertown stop (and no other knowledge) there are several thousand houses that are served by that stop. Swords central is close alright but a 20 minute walk from the Fostertown one and most of River Valley / Ridgewood / Holywell will already have a 20 or 30 minute walk to get to Fostertown.

And Fostertown has Airside which is a pretty major shopping area and curently a pain in the hole at any slightly busy times.

They aren't been negative, they're reporting the news. Plenty of people have been attacking the various forms of media that last day or two, it seems that those people now want the media to become a type of Pravda and only report positives.

I'm not debating the importance of the project, but it's a reality that the fact people will lose their current homes in the current environment is big news. And while we all like to think the project will be fast tracked, the reality is that it most likely won't due to legal challenges.

It just be nice if the headline read 'new ambitious metro to transport tens of thousands of commuters an hour and open up huge parts of the city to modern, fast and high capacity public transport.

All im hearing on radio this morning is how its going to effect 3 thousand gaa players not the benefits 10'000s of people in Swords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Amirani wrote: »
    Yeah, I considered this today - would benefit Malahide/Portmarnock area too. Hopefully BusConnects can cover this by having sufficiently frequent and reliable orbital routes connecting Metro and Northern Line (though this is probably less likely to benefit Donabate).

Less than 5 km of track would run it from the end of the planned line to Donabate Station.

I think I remember that Fingal made an amendment to their Development Plan to preserve a pathway to connect to the northern line. Not sure if it was to Donabate though I would think it the most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

copacetic wrote: »
    The representative on morning ireland was asked about that, and given the 6-7 year disruption timeframe and didn’t disagree at all. She confirmed they will use the grounds to launch the machine and said its because there aren’t many sites in north Dublin suitable. The original one for that station 300m away seems to save slipped their minds. The answer re the schools on the site was poor also, she sounded like they hadn’t really thought it through at all and also that they weren’t really wedded to the idea.

I'm cynical enough to suspect there might be a game being played, leo and local FG TDs swoop in and have plans changed to the applause (and votes) of all

jvan wrote: »
    It just be nice if the headline read 'new ambitious metro to transport tens of thousands of commuters an hour and open up huge parts of the city to modern, fast and high capacity public transport.

That's not what attracts people to paper though. They do this for every story, regardless of the topic, so it's not like they have a particular bug bear with the metro.

But I do expect to see positive op ed pieces in this vein over the next while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Will the Luas extension from Brides Glen to Bray be built prior to the Metro ? note in most of the reports that I have had time to read it states Luas from Sandyford to Brides Glen - would have thought it wold be referred to as Luas to Bray from Sandyford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement