Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why?

Given that the last one was dismantled and recycled I would doubt it would be much use in Dublin.

Sure usually they just get rammed into the earth when completed and buried.

Won't the two TBMs needed also be used on DU? I think I saw that was the plan.

I think Crossrail used 8 TBMs they hardly buried all of them, must be a better way to dispose of them. Is it cost that sees them buried when the job is completed or do they have a short life cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

yabadabado wrote: »
    Won't the two TBMs needed also be used on DU? I think I saw that was the plan.

I think Crossrail used 8 TBMs they hardly buried all of them, must be a better way to dispose of them. Is it cost that sees them buried when the job is completed or do they have a short life cycle?

If you read what I said that in a lot of cases they are buried. I also said that in the case of Crossrail, the last one used, Victoria, was dismantled and recycled. It would strike me as that might have also been the fate of the previous 7. But I don't care enough to investigate that tbh.

There's something for you and Stephen to go and find out for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭ricimaki

TBMs are designed for specific rock/soil types, and cannot be used with the wrong type. I think the crossrail project had 2 different types, as did the eurotunnel back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

If the local community don't support a 3billion metro serving them then don't give it to them. Build the line somewhere else. The ****e coming out of Na Fianna is typical Nimbyism.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If the local community don't support a 3billion metro serving them then don't give it to them. Build the line somewhere else. The ****e coming out of Na Fianna is typical Nimbyism.
    Why should the rest of the people along the corridor have to suffer because Na Fianna's members are objecting?

This is Ireland. No matter what you build, where you build it and how beneficial it is, someone will still object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭ricimaki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

ricimaki wrote: »

Are you suggesting we all club together and build our own poxy metro? Because if you are I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think when TBMs are buried they often strip out all the reusable stuff like electrical switchgear and the conveyor system etc. and just leave the chassis and cutting head buried. All that stuff can be carried out through the tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Without doing any research would the TBMs for the DU not need to be bigger than the metro ones?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

salmocab wrote: »
    Without doing any research would the TBMs for the DU not need to be bigger than the metro ones?

Maybe, depends on what they want for DU. If it is just DART's and nothing else, then maybe, but if they want the tunnel to also be able to support long distance and intercity trains, then it would need to be wider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

bk wrote: »
    Maybe, depends on what they want for DU. If it is just DART's and nothing else, then maybe, but if they want the tunnel to also be able to support long distance and intercity trains, then it would need to be wider.
    Is the loading gauge really wider or taller on the intercity stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Was the Irish language name of this service announced?

I would like it to be Luas Underground or even call it Dart Underground and then add the original Dart Underground proposal later. There is a lack of a feeling of cohesion to the DUblin transport system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭cgcsb

looks like the cabra station on the enhanced DART service now won't happen because the site now has permission for housing:

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/marlet-gets-green-light-for-420-homes-in-dublin-36739436.html

I'm reminded of the apartment block in Smithfield that was built over the route of the proposed bus lane. I wonder have the powers that be copped on to this one yet? ? it certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Any way the Dart station could still be incorporated into the development?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

yabadabado wrote: »
    Any way the Dart station could still be incorporated into the development?

I think so - here is the plan

446674.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I posted it in the other thread as well, but I'm pretty sure that the developers would be delighted at a Dart station going in roght next to their development, surely it would add to the sale price of all the units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

jd wrote: »

Yeah should be no problem. You'd fit the main part of Pearse station in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

cgcsb wrote: »
    looks like the cabra station on the enhanced DART service now won't happen because the site now has permission for housing:

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/marlet-gets-green-light-for-420-homes-in-dublin-36739436.html

I'm reminded of the apartment block in Smithfield that was built over the route of the proposed bus lane. I wonder have the powers that be copped on to this one yet? ? it certainly doesn't inspire confidence.
    jd wrote: »

446674.jpg

Doesn't appear obvious (at least to me) where the station would go; I assume it be outside the red boundary line and over the tracks? It seems four tracking at that section too.

Just wondering, it's former CIE land; is this development a PPP? Or did the private developer just buy it outright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Doesn't appear obvious (at least to me) where the station would go; I assume it be outside the red boundary line and over the tracks? It seems four tracking at that section too.

Just wondering, it's former CIE land; is this development a PPP? Or did the private developer just buy it outright?

CIE sold the site in 2004 for €28m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

Doesn't appear obvious (at least to me) where the station would go

Loads of room to work with there. Won't be any great feat building a station there. There is a tall grass embankment on the other side. They could comfortably fit three platforms if they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There's still plenty of room for a station even with this development (which has been in the works for years now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭roadmaster

CatInABox wrote: »
    I posted it in the other thread as well, but I'm pretty sure that the developers would be delighted at a Dart station going in roght next to their development, surely it would add to the sale price of all the units.

Especially with the reduction of parking spaces for apartments with the new planning rules. i could be wrong but if you have public transport such as luas or rail on your doorstep you can get add an extra 15% on the asking price normally would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

bk wrote: »
    Yes a great deal. This is one of the major goals of this plan.

At least 40,000 population increase planned for the Swords area and tens of thousands more apartments along the Green line to the south of the City.
    We already talked about that specific aspect before BK, I showed what sort of development/brownfield sites are available near the Metrolink route from the Govt. agency responsible for documenting this, and those numbers are grossly inflated. Shouldn't you try to back your claim up with actual evidence like I have before?

The point really is that almost all housing that's planned along the green line/"metrolink" is happening irrespective of the new Metro - so it's a bit disingenuous to cite that as a major advantage of the scheme. What it WILL do is serve large swathes of Dublin with a far superior level of transport, and let people get across the city far more rapidly and conveniently. Many plans in Swords (like near the Pavilions) are already planning-approved, and right now the land around the Airport is being mooted as suitable for large business and office development.

MJohnston wrote: »
    There's still plenty of room for a station even with this development (which has been in the works for years now).
    Indeed there is, the site layout seems to leave enough space along the sidings, though I'm a little concerned about site/station access points (most rail stations have their catchment areas limited by the number of entrances.

This map is a little bigger than the one above
    http://www.cabrashd.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Site-Location_Cabra-SHD-N195-A01_P1.pdf

I'd still like to see the station closer to the Phoenix Park just because of the very high density of housing in the northern part of Stoneybatter, plus the O'Devaney Gardens redevelopment plans. The Cabra sidings are a lot cheaper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A station at Blackhorse Avenue might also be possible.

A station at Blackhorse Avenue might also be possible.
    This is what I'm thinking of. I don't know if there's the space for it, but I guess that's for a different thread. It's not featuring in the govt's latest plan though, so I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

sitting at lunch there and two lads next to me talking about metro build
    appears his house is getting destroyed but wasn't sure as he's hearing different things each day, has meeting this Wednesday

he had a great quote, "i just hope they fast track this build and feck the whingy bast&rds like me"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ciaran75 wrote: »
    sitting at lunch there and two lads next to me talking about metro build
    appears his house is getting destroyed but wasn't sure as he's hearing different things each day, has meeting this Wednesday

he had a great quote, "i just hope they fast track this build and feck the whingy bast&rds like me"
    Colour me sceptical, I just can't imagine anyone ever saying that in a million years. MAYBE something like "I just hope they fast track the build and give me good compensation" but "feck me and my house" :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

marno21 wrote: »

Complaining the they got 48 hours notice is nonsense. They have three months to make representations. If they got more notice, what would they have done - gone to the papers? They did that anyway, so what more could they do? Perhaps propose an alternative might be an idea. There have been a few suggestions further up this thread.

They will have a Metro stop at their ground - that must be worth a lot to any club. Perhaps they should ask for the stop to be be named 'Na Fianna' as part of their compo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement