Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

marno21 wrote: »

There's just so much facepalm in that story.

"48 hours notice that they were going to lose their pitches"; so they're gone already are they? Or is construction not three years away?

I mean, I really don't get this whole "treated badly by not being informed earlier" thing at all. Would the reaction of the club be different if they were given two months notice? Three? It's three years until a shovel will be put into the ground, could they not use that time to plan for it? What would an extra couple of months change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Grandeeod wrote: »
    CIE sold the site in 2004 for €28m.
    Long since spent on the wage bill no doubt.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

murphaph wrote: »

A bonus for CIE acting on their primary remit of being a property development company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Such rubbish, this is the consultation process and they were told prior to it going public.Terrible article.

What do they want a consultation process for the consultation process?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This is what I'm thinking of. I don't know if there's the space for it, but I guess that's for a different thread. It's not featuring in the govt's latest plan though, so I won't hold my breath.

There's room alright, it wouldn't be a number 1 priority but perhaps sometime in the future. It'd definitely suit my parents, right around the corner. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

I seem to recall being laughed on this forum for suggesting that the pathological selfishness of the "real GAA man" would think nothing of destroying Dublin city's future for the Parish Games.

I still stand by this. These people are fundamentalist Catholic extremists who believe Baby Jesus is on their side. To underestimate their zealotry is very unwise. They would see killing the Metro as a religious crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I seem to recall being laughed on this forum for suggesting that the pathological selfishness of the "real GAA man" would think nothing of destroying Dublin city's future for the Parish Games.

I still stand by this. These people are fundamentalist Catholic extremists who believe Baby Jesus is on their side. To underestimate their zealotry is very unwise. They would see killing the Metro as a religious crusade.

Are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Or just a hack journalist spewing the usual populist tabloid fodder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭plodder

Go easy on the Harpic there Carlos. I don't agree with them either, but it's understandable to an extent as an off the cuff reaction. Hopefully, with some discussion, an accommodation can be found

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

From this article on Na Fianna:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2362918/underground-dream-metrolink-between-dublin-airport-and-city-centre-will-be-a-nightmare/
    To anyone who doesn’t know Na Fianna, that is the entire club. They would be left with their clubhouse, but what the hell point is that when they have no pitches?

Not true, Na Fianna make use of the full size GAA playing pitch owned by Scoil Cathriona directly behind the club. They also use a small playing field next to it in Griffith Park. Neither of these would be impacted by the Metro works.

They also currently use the following playing grounds:
    - St. Vincents School
    - Collinstown
    - Johnstown Park
    - Albert College Park
    - Rosmini
    - St Pats DCU

http://www.clgnafianna.com/pitch-availability-2/

Ironically on this document here they say:

www.clgnafianna.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Juvenile-Handbook-2016.docx
    Pitches and Facilities

Given the number of teams which the Club fields across football, hurling, camogie and ladies football at juvenile and adult levels and the number of pitches at our disposal, Na Fianna has the lowest pitch to team ratio in Dublin. In many ways this is a great position to be in and we are rightly the envy of many other clubs due to the fantastic number of players at our disposal. However, the heavy demand on our Club pitches is enormous.

Don't get me wrong, it is a real pity to see them impacted, but it will just be a few years and I'm sure they can arrange alternative pitches in the area as they already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Jesus would they ever get over themselves, the development of a metro is for the greater good of the whole city, if not country. Never mind enormous social benefit they'll get from living in the best connected area in the country but also the skyrocketing house valuations that naturally go with it.
    Look at the map there is another GAA field less than 1Km away!!! and the clubhouse will not be demolished. I really hope the story is just a clueless hack job and that a sensible solution can be found which doesn't hold up progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Na Fianna are going on saying they've only been given 48 hours notice nonsense they're being given 3 years notice construction won't begin until 2021. Plenty of time for them to draw up a contingency plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CreativeSen

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Na Fianna are going on saying they've only been given 48 hours notice nonsense they're being given 3 years notice construction won't begin until 2021. Plenty of time for them to draw up a contingency plan.

It could all be part of a strategy, is it in their interest to make as much noise as possible, threaten disruption and court cases so that they can get a good deal? New pitches, stands, clubhouse, parking all for free as compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It could all be part of a strategy, is it in their interest to make as much noise as possible, threaten disruption and court cases so that they can get a good deal? New pitches, stands, clubhouse, parking all for free as compensation.

Exactly thats exactly my belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Exactly thats exactly my belief

And would you consider its a deliberate ploy by the Government (picking the Na Fianna site and other potentially controversial sites) to delay the project, while appearing to be actively pushing it?

This country's Governments have absolutely no problem pissing money away on planning, design, redesign, consultants etc. We are brilliant at it. There is a very long list of examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

bk wrote: »
    From this article on Na Fianna:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2362918/underground-dream-metrolink-between-dublin-airport-and-city-centre-will-be-a-nightmare/

Not true, Na Fianna make use of the full size GAA playing pitch owned by Scoil Cathriona directly behind the club. They also use a small playing field next to it in Griffith Park. Neither of these would be impacted by the Metro works.

They also currently use the following playing grounds:
    - St. Vincents School
    - Collinstown
    - Johnstown Park
    - Albert College Park
    - Rosmini
    - St Pats DCU

http://www.clgnafianna.com/pitch-availability-2/

Ironically on this document here they say:

www.clgnafianna.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Juvenile-Handbook-2016.docx

Don't get me wrong, it is a real pity to see them impacted, but it will just be a few years and I'm sure they can arrange alternative pitches in the area as they already do.

CPO the "urban farm" mentioned previously instead and relocate Na Fianna permanently to part of that site. There's enough spare room to solve the entire city's housing problems and practically create a new suburb. From highliting what appears to be its boundaries in Google Earth it totals out around 20 hectares.

A farm of that size has absolutely no business in a growing city. Perhaps re-use 20 of the 750 hectares in the Phoenix Park instead for sgrowing crops and leave the rest of the city be a city.

I still think Albert College Park is the best location for a stop, eliminating the need for the Collins Avenue one. A dedicated (even moving) walkway to the junction of Collins Ave. would meet nicely with the potential high frequency bus services. In saving a station, that saves €100m or more which would pay for the land a few times over. Everyone wins.

f482e9eb9410f500c7e7f7dd51faa4c9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

murphaph wrote: »

This quote from their websites property section proves you could be right.:D
    All revenues from CIÉ Group Property are reinvested in the development and improvement of core bus and rail transport services.

A bonus for CIE acting on their primary remit of being a property development company?

Did you forget the smiley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Grandeeod wrote: »
    And would you consider its a deliberate ploy by the Government (picking the Na Fianna site and other potentially controversial sites) to delay the project, while appearing to be actively pushing it?

I don’t see using playing fields to build such an important piece of infrastructure controversial.

Demolishing people’s homes maybe, but temporary loss of sports pitches, not at all.

Football pitches in Fairview Park were out of use for some time during the construction of the DPT.

It wasn’t the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I don’t see using playing fields to build such an important piece of infrastructure controversial.

Demolishing people’s homes maybe, but temporary loss of sports pitches, not at all.

Football pitches in Fairview Park were out of use for some time during the construction of the DPT.

It wasn’t the end of the world.
    There were and are alternatives along Alfie Byrne road which to this day don't get much use, except for the all-weather facility. Fairview Park and its surroundings don't get much political notice or visibility, except when the precious roadside trees are threatened...

In fairness to Na Fianna, they do use all of those facilities at their disposal. I wish they weren't so childish about a consultation phase though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Alfie Byrne Road pitches used to be always waterlogged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are there any significant savings to be found in the mooted scheme vs what Metro North was? The most detailed info on Metro North placed the value at 2.7 billion during the recession. I can't see where they get the 3 billion number from, when there's far more tunnelling and the upgrading of the green line luas involved too.

So far I haven't seen any financial info in this consultation phase and I'd call the price of this scheme as more like 4 billion if I extrapolate from the previous Metro studies.

For one, when the TBMs are in the ground, there won't be so much opposition to "blowing the budget" and it could be a good political ploy by TII. It's hard not to be skeptical when there's an election to be held before construction starts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

I went to the Public Consultation there just now.

Platforms will be 90m.
    Trains will be 60m when it opens.
    Will probably be low floor trains, not final though.
    Pedestrian bridges over the R132 in Swords will have to be knocked.
    No plans at the moment to extend to rail line at Donabate.
    Park and Ride facility at Estuary will be multi-storey and facilitate either 3,300 or 3,500 spaces, can't remember exactly.

So yeah, AMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Platforms will be 90m.
    Park and Ride facility at Estuary will be multi-storey and facilitate either 3,300 or 3,500 spaces, can't remember exactly.

So yeah, AMA.

Will they be replaced? Quite a few estates the opposite side of the bypass from Swords.

P_1 wrote: »
    Will they be replaced? Quite a few estates the opposite side of the bypass from Swords.

Not sure but I'd imagine they'd have to be replaced with something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Platforms will be 90m.

So yeah, AMA.

Did they go into any detail on the tie-in with the Green Line?
    Was there much debate/discussion on platform height, or driverless trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Platforms will be 90m.

Anything on the price, reaction to Na Fianna, and much talk of high-floor trains?

ricimaki wrote: »
    Did they go into any detail on the tie-in with the Green Line?
    Was there much debate/discussion on platform height, or driverless trains?

https://imgur.com/3nrT1NS
    This might be of assistance.
    I forgot to ask about them being driverless. Damn

Dats me wrote: »
    Anything on the price, reaction to Na Fianna, and much talk of high-floor trains?

I asked were they gonna be high floor. The person I was talking to said probably low floor but that it wasn't final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I asked were they gonna be high floor. The person I was talking to said probably low floor but that it wasn't final.

Who was making the presentation, anyone by name?

TII / DCC / DOT / FCC ? Or a mix of all?

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »
    Who was making the presentation, anyone by name?

TII / DCC / DOT / FCC ? Or a mix of all?
    TII / NTA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement