Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

monument wrote: »
    To reduce risk of working nearer human activity and buildings etc, Copenhagen built a TBM site on their central man-made lake:

449138.jpg

Really? Did you somehow manage to miss the big row of six and seven story, historic apartment buildings right across the road from that construction site! And all the other buildings all around it.

In other words, that is a very densely populated and complicated site. By comparison a GAA pitch in the suburbs of Drumcondra is far less risky.

Here is another brilliant example of an incredibly tight construction sites in Copenhagen:

Cityring.jpg
    Some of the photos you posted show other sites on parts of squares and other open spaces -- as well as cost effectiveness, this has built-in risk avoidance.

Risk avoidance!!! Those pictures show Metro stations being squeezed into busy narrow streets and parks within meters of some of the most historic and important buildings in the heart of Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Those were full of risk.

And have you looked at the detailed MetroLink plans. If you had, it would be obvious that they have done almost everything possible to reduce cost and risk. They have very clearly tried to squeeze Metro stations into parks and green fields, similar to Copenhagen and Amsterdam. By doing so they avoid as much as possible having to CPO people's homes.

Choosing to temporarily build in a field of a sporting club in a suburbs is absolutely good example of reducing risk.
    There's no question that some sites are confined, but few planners of metros pick confined or problematic sites when there's an alternative near by and no good reason not to use it.

"No reason", there is a very good reason, cost. By putting both the construction site and station in one location it reduces unnecessary cost of a separate station and construction site and thus risk as you like to put it.
    Although, I have to note that, I still think there's an element of needless destruction with elements of MetroLink -- including far from temporary effects.

How is is not temporary? And how would putting a construction site in Albert College Park, in addition to a Metro Station in Na Fianna not simply increase the "needless" destruction?

Na Fianna would then lose two playing fields instead of one! Never mind the other three sporting clubs, which people seem to not care about!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Metrolink has a very low volume of "destruction", they could have absolutely gone to town but its clear they were trying to avoid objection.

I really don't see how the amount of people who are impacted is in any way a negative when you compare it to the volume of people who will benefit from the project.

Building a project of this scale with no disruption is simply not possible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Here is the thing, the people of Dublin are desperately crying out for high quality public transport. We are decades behind similar sized cities and we have an awful lot of catching up to do.

Of course there is going to be some disruption when major new infrastructure like this is built. Did people really think that Metro's simply spring into reality with no disturbance!

However such disruption and risk can certainly be managed and planned for. As you can see from the pictures in Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Barcelona.

Having looked at the plans I haven't seen anything that looks particularly troublesome here. They really have seemed to bent over backwards to reduce disturbance and risk with this plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

So many points have been raised and answered by so many that I will just list my own.

1. No question, we need that metro.

2. There is a process in place and it is the information and input, including objections or other suggestions, that is being handled now. People and institutions have a right to make their views know and have them considered.

3. all will be considered by the planners before they come up with a final plan for direct submission to an Bord Pleanala under the Major Infrastructure scheme.

4. Examples have been given of very restricted sites. While not au-fait with any of them, though I did see some of the London work, would it be correct to say that there were very little, if any, alternatives in the various situations?

5.While most of the focus has been on Na Fianna, the situation at Prospect Ave with houses having no foundations must be an issue, or is it?

6. In the case of Na Fianna, it is the very close proximity of 3 schools that is the primary issue as Far as I can see, though Na Fianna obviously would not be happy either, and I understand a TBM will be used at that site; a figure of truck movements every 3 minutes has been mooted.

7. Given the great need for a metro the site would absolutely be understandable if there was no alternative but the point is, there seems to be an option which would avoid both the no foundation houses on Prospect Ave and the 3 schools.

8. If going under the Cemetery is such a no no (as to why I'm at a loss, and I recall previous plans running an underground line from near the present Broomebridge Terminus under the Cemetery and Botanic Gardens and possibly with a station somewhere between them!) then it should be possible to run by the east edge of the Cemetery before cutting in under the Gardens.

9. I understand when initial route surveys are undertaken there is usually a condition that due cognizance be taken of, Hospitals, Churches and Schools (no mention of cemeteries as far as I know) but someone decided that there were so many of these in Dublin that the condition be ignored. If this is true, I wonder what would have been suggested if the condition had been left in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just thinking about the truck movements. How many tonnes of spoil would generally come from a tbm in hourly period. There are plenty of sites around at the moment where there is a steady stream of trucks taking loads away. How would the quantities from a tbm compare to trucks being loaded by a 40t track machine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

piuswal wrote: »
    5.While most of the focus has been on Na Fianna, the situation at Prospect Ave with houses having no foundations must be an issue, or is it?

Just on this, houses with no foundation can have remedial works done before hand, i.e. concrete injection, etc, and have remedial works done afterwards as well, fixing any cracks and doorframes that are damaged, like the work that was done in Fairview and Marino.

In other words, foundationless houses will only be a problem if they aren't surveyed and dealt with beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭plodder

As with the port tunnel, I assume that anyone within a certain distance of the tunneling will have surveys paid for before and after. I'd be surprised if people hadn't availed of that opportunity with the port tunnel.

Not an issue really. They can be reinforced from underneath, with various techniques. This was already done with the port tunnel. An engineering challenge of course, but nothing unusual.
    6. In the case of Na Fianna, it is the very close proximity of 3 schools that is the primary issue as Far as I can see, though Na Fianna obviously would not be happy either, and I understand a TBM will be used at that site; a figure of truck movements every 3 minutes has been mooted.

BTW two schools, not three.

Various approaches can be put in place to minimise risk. For instance they can simply not run trucks for one hour in the morning and evening when kids are going to the school.

They can put in place traffic control measures such as controllers watching out on the road with walkie talkies, etc. School Crossing Guards, etc. If anything I suspect children would actually be safer then they are now. After all these schools do exit onto a busy Dublin road as it is. So it isn't as if the kids don't already have to contend with road danger. Now they would have greater monitoring and control of the roads.

Another option is too put a temporary road between Scoil Cathriona, Scoil Mobhi and into the Whitehall College (about 10 meters) This would then put the road entrance 300 meters away from the site access road. They could also put a pedestrian access from these Schools into Griffith Park, which would allow children coming by walking or bike to completely avoid Mobhi Road completely.

Also there is pedestrian access from Walsh Road to the back of Scoil Cathriona/Scoil Mobhi, again allowing children coming by foot/bike to completely avoid Mobhi Road.

So nothing that can't be handled.
    9. I understand when initial route surveys are undertaken there is usually a condition that due cognizance be taken of, Hospitals, Churches and Schools (no mention of cemeteries as far as I know) but someone decided that there were so many of these in Dublin that the condition be ignored. If this is true, I wonder what would have been suggested if the condition had been left in?

I'm not sure where you are getting that from! It is almost impossible to build anywhere in Europe without building close to these. In Copenhagen for instance they had to build a Metro station just one meter from a 18th century, very historic church with no foundations.

Actually it is normally considered a good thing to build Metros near Hospitals, Schools and Colleges as those are the type of places people actually want to go to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Another dose of Metrobashing this morning on the Pat Kenny show

2nd slot after the slot about the US

https://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/13240/44322/25th_April_2018_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The idiots bashing it. Should go to similar sizes eurooean cities with multiple metro lines and tell them how they have it all wrong ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

marno21 wrote: »
    Another dose of Metrobashing this morning on the Pat Kenny show

2nd slot after the slot about the US

https://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/13240/44322/25th_April_2018_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_1/

Colm McCarthy appears to think a bus service from the Airport equates to a Metro service. A 76 seater coach like those used by Aircoach would be required to leave the Airport via the one roundabout at the rate of one every 18 seconds (and arrive every 18 seconds) to match Metro with 60 metre length, and ever 10 seconds with 90 metre length.

The Metro is capable (at full load and speed) capable of carrying 50 million passengers per year, and the Airport carried 30 million passengers last year. How many do they expect in 2029 with the second runway in operation? 50,000 people work at the Airport,

Gospel according to Colm McCarthy.
    If it has metal wheels, it is bad - but rubber wheels, it is good. If it is underground it is very expensive but at street level that is good. The money could (and should) be used to build 10 Luas lines - not specified where they should go but Lucan was mentioned. No idea where the extra road space will come from, but build it and it will appear.

Where is Doheny & Nesbitt's exactly? I could do with a drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

There was a slightly more balanced piece on Morning Ireland this morning too (last 10 minutes of the second hour on their podcast page - I can't link at the moment).

McDowell and McCarthy did get to give their spiels, but the reporter at least asked McCarthy a question along the lines of 'Well, you were wrong about Luas, why should we believe you about this?'

There was a huge focus on the cost - what it has cost so far and how much it will in the future - but they did at least head out to Swords and talk about the putative benefits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Anti-progress and anti-intellectual elements will always have a market to sell to. I rarely pay any attention to the tabloid/junk media anymore, when it comes to serious matters like this they just get airheads who would be more suited to offering their opinions on the Kardashians than anything remotely technical. I'd read the Dublin Inquirer which often has intelligent articles, I'd sometimes watch RTÉ news but I'd often baulk at the unashamedly bias pro Yankee/Brit/Globalist presentation. Once you inform yourself and take the time to inform others of the facts you just have to ignore the dead-behind-the-eye crowd. Economists who don't understand economies and limit themselves to simple accounting exercises should meet with the Engineers who prepared the cost benefit analysis and discuss the project on air. The so called economists would be utterly dismantled in 2 minutes flat and we could get on with our lives.

Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport is meeting right now on Metrolink here: http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/watchlisten/watchlive/committeeroom2/

Speakers include Anne Graham NTA, Hugh Cregan NTA, Michael Nolan TII, Peter Walsh TII, representatives of Home Farm, Na Fianna GAA, Scoil Mobhi, Scoil Caitriona and more I didn't quite catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Do these media outlets ever interview ordinary folk who want better public transport to improve the quality of their lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Do these media outlets ever interview ordinary folk who want better public transport to improve the quality of their lives?

That's boring. They want moral indignation and more Kardashians. The standard punter is a low IQ creature waiting for the news to end and Exposé to come on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Comparing travel times for:

Aircoach from Airport to Sandyford - 55 mins. [but "Please allow additional time for your journey due to possible traffic congestion at peak times." Frequency - every 15 minutes. Fare €10.

Metro - Airport to Sandyford - 45 minutes with Frequency - every 2 mins (but probably more like 5 mins). Fare - not known, but probably €5 (based on Dart fare).

I think Metro wins. If there was a Metro, there would be fewer passengers on the Aircoach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Gaelscoil raises 'grave health concerns' over plan to use grounds for Metrolink supplies. The principal of Scoil Mobhí speaking before the committee. Health concerns, curious children accessing the site and, to top it off, tearing apart an Irish language community. May have overcooked that last one in particular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

Lads. All this rubbish, utter nonsense about dust, absolutely anything NIMBYers and the usual gobsh*tes who oppose everything, will hold this back for as long as possible. Not to mention jealous TDs who think every town in Ireland should have a motorway ring road around it and think Dublin gets everything.
    They'll do whatever it takes to stop this project, and by the time we are f**ked again money wise with a new recession or God knows what, it'll be put on the back burner. I haven't believed this would happen for a minute, and they've already spent 170 million. Joke of a country.

I have watched it all so far. The complaints about the traffic on Mobhi Road and the construction traffic adding to it, but no comment about how the Metro will drastically reduce traffic on Mobhi Road and bring massive benefits to the area.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

• Advertisement

There was a slightly more balanced piece on Morning Ireland this morning too (last 10 minutes of the second hour on their podcast page - I can't link at the moment).

McDowell and McCarthy did get to give their spiels, but the reporter at least asked McCarthy a question along the lines of 'Well, you were wrong about Luas, why should we believe you about this?'

There was a huge focus on the cost - what it has cost so far and how much it will in the future - but they did at least head out to Swords and talk about the putative benefits too.

How many people are going from Carrickmines to the DIT Grangegorman campus and why should the public transport network be aligned around this?

Why should Luas lines to Finglas and Lucan be built ahead of Metro "because they have no public transport" and leave Swords, Dublin Airport, Santry and Ballymun with no public transport?

For the love of ****

Can someone also send Colm McCarthy a definition of the word "billion" so he can add it to his vocabulary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

How many people are going from Carrickmines to the DIT Grangegorman campus and why should the public transport network be aligned around this?

Why should Luas lines to Finglas and Lucan be built ahead of Metro "because they have no public transport" and leave Swords, Dublin Airport, Santry and Ballymun with no public transport?

For the love of ****

Can someone also send Colm McCarthy a definition of the word "billion" so he can add it to his vocabulary.

I used to live in Finglas and the buses fly in from the main road. It's also like a 20 minute cycle to O'Connell st.
    Swords on the other hand is royally f*cked when it comes to public transport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

The Glasnevin ACA was talking about the decision to locate a station at Whitworth rather than Drumcondra. She suggested that perhaps Drumcondra would be a better option because it would require longer walks when transferring between the metro and heavy rail lines. This, she says, would help to stave off obesity in the population. That's what we are dealing with here. It will be a miracle if this metro is built within the next 20 years.

The lack of preparedness from panel members is also shocking. There have been countless questions asked about whether other routes were suggested despite this information being clearly outlined within the very documents that they are criticising. The TII and NTA staff haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Don’t think it’s been posted yet, but looks like there’s a talk on this at Engineers Ireland coming up:

http://engineersireland.ie/groups/societies/roads-and-transportation-society/events/metrolink-emerging-preferred-route-consultation.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just seen a bit on TV3 News. Someone from Na Fianna whinging about the Metro and the effects on “the wider community”.

Anybody watching would be under the impression that the general population in the locality don’t actually want the Metro and that this club speak 100% for the whole community.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I have watched it all so far. The complaints about the traffic on Mobhi Road and the construction traffic adding to it, but no comment about how the Metro will drastically reduce traffic on Mobhi Road and bring massive benefits to the area.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

But when you have the choice, you can chose to break one egg rather than 20 eggs.

bk wrote: »
    Here is the thing, the people of Dublin are desperately crying out for high quality public transport. We are decades behind similar sized cities and we have an awful lot of catching up to do.

Of course there is going to be some disruption when major new infrastructure like this is built. Did people really think that Metro's simply spring into reality with no disturbance!

However such disruption and risk can certainly be managed and planned for. As you can see from the pictures in Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Barcelona.

Having looked at the plans I haven't seen anything that looks particularly troublesome here. They really have seemed to bent over backwards to reduce disturbance and risk with this plan.

Nobody thinks metros simply spring into reality with no disturbance — you can do all the shadow boxing that you want, but you’re not dealing with the issue of a more suitable TBM site very close to the site and on the route.

“They really have seemed to bent over backwards to reduce disturbance and risk with this plan” — that’s a really strange statement, there’s a few stops that could be placed or have their final design better to lower disturbance.
    Metrolink has a very low volume of "destruction", they could have absolutely gone to town but its clear they were trying to avoid objection.

I really don't see how the amount of people who are impacted is in any way a negative when you compare it to the volume of people who will benefit from the project.

Building a project of this scale with no disruption is simply not possible.

You’re putting forward arguments that little to nobody is making — nobody is saying no disruption. There’s a big different between minimising disruption and looking for no disruption.

I sure hope the NTA and TII aren’t thinking like posters here — it will be damaging to the project if they keep this up.

Really? Did you somehow manage to miss the big row of six and seven story, historic apartment buildings right across the road from that construction site! And all the other buildings all around it.

In other words, that is a very densely populated and complicated site. By comparison a GAA pitch in the suburbs of Drumcondra is far less risky.

There’s a big buffer of first a wide street and next the compound before you get to the actual dig area.

Here is another brilliant example of an incredibly tight construction sites in Copenhagen:

Cityring.jpg

As I’ve said, where needed, that’s grand.

Risk avoidance!!! Those pictures show Metro stations being squeezed into busy narrow streets and parks within meters of some of the most historic and important buildings in the heart of Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Those were full of risk.

Again... Amsterdam and risk? Really? 7 years time over run — perfect reason why a club would fight for their pitches.

CPH also did stations with tunnels / platforms on top of each other to get into some of the most narrow spaces. There’s also no need for that on this route. Not everything is comparable.

And have you looked at the detailed MetroLink plans. If you had, it would be obvious that they have done almost everything possible to reduce cost and risk. They have very clearly tried to squeeze Metro stations into parks and green fields, similar to Copenhagen and Amsterdam. By doing so they avoid as much as possible having to CPO people's homes.

Choosing to temporarily build in a field of a sporting club in a suburbs is absolutely good example of reducing risk.

It’s really not.

It’s beside schools and a college, closer to homes, on a narrower road with a much greater incline.

"No reason", there is a very good reason, cost. By putting both the construction site and station in one location it reduces unnecessary cost of a separate station and construction site and thus risk as you like to put it.

Cost. That’s a different argument than you have given to date.

That’s fine if that’s your argument but is that cost reduction worth the likely planning and political risks — it’s very unlikely.

How is is not temporary? And how would putting a construction site in Albert College Park, in addition to a Metro Station in Na Fianna not simply increase the "needless" destruction?

Na Fianna would then lose two playing fields instead of one! Never mind the other three sporting clubs, which people seem to not care about!

On that, I was talking generally, not one site.

The city centre stations have far from temporary impacts and all three of the most central ones could be better sited.

But that’s my logic of putting homes in a housing crisis over traffic at Tara St; putting Luas, bus, pedestrians and cycling above having a station on the other side of a junction; and not being so cost conscious on St Stevens Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭plodder

JohnC. wrote: »
    Gaelscoil raises 'grave health concerns' over plan to use grounds for Metrolink supplies. The principal of Scoil Mobhí speaking before the committee. Health concerns, curious children accessing the site and, to top it off, tearing apart an Irish language community. May have overcooked that last one in particular.
    "That such a proposal should have been brought forward in Bliain na Gaeilge...."
    :confused:

That's taking it a bit personally.

I guess you have to assume that people are being sincere and do actually have these fears. The project team has some work to do then, to allay them. Eg someone asked what is the rate of production of spoil. I don't know the answer but I'd say it's a lot less than people might fear, given a typical TBM only travels around 100ft a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

“the wider community”.
    pathetic! The wider community, i.e Dublin and the greater Dublin area are gridlocked! I couldnt care less about their playing pitch or two, its truly pathetic! Its also typical RTE, the "poor victims" ... Just typically Irish!!! Its as Irish as it gets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Home Farm talked about alternatives pitches etc for themselve while the work is done. I suspect the "Preferred Route" will have the TBM launch site at/near Northwood and the station built on Home Farm's pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Equium wrote: »
    She suggested that perhaps Drumcondra would be a better option because it would require longer walks when transferring between the metro and heavy rail lines. This, she says, would help to stave off obesity in the population. That's what we are dealing with here.

With that logic, we may as well ban all public transport and cars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement