Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

jd wrote: »
    Cancelmetrolink is Cormac McKay (Direct Democracy Ireland). He thinks metrolink is obsolete as we will be commuting using flying cars it the future.

Aye, I had a gander afterwards. Still no harm to engage as in fairness he has a website and is thus more visible than us.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cancelmetrolink is Cormac McKay (Direct Democracy Ireland). He thinks metrolink is obsolete as we will be commuting using flying cars it the future.

Nothing says political heavyweight quite like Direct Democracy Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Hi guys, we set the ball rolling on this yesterday with the launch of our twitter page at Dublin On Track, already we have engaged with a Cllr on the current discourse around the project. This is just our first step, we will be writing to all the main media outlets trying to get our name out and what we stand for. The next stage will also be the development of a website. The overall idea is to get information out there to challenge the various protest groups popping up across Dublin such as cancelmetrolink.ie.

Fair play to ya, I'll be getting behind ye anyway. Had a look at that 'cancelmetrolink' website... amateur hour is putting it mildly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Hi guys, we set the ball rolling on this yesterday with the launch of our twitter page at Dublin On Track, already we have engaged with a Cllr on the current discourse around the project. This is just our first step, we will be writing to all the main media outlets trying to get our name out and what we stand for. The next stage will also be the development of a website. The overall idea is to get information out there to challenge the various protest groups popping up across Dublin such as cancelmetrolink.ie.

We aim to do this through well-written pieces discussing the multiple advantages the metrolink in its current form can have for the city and the country. We encourage anyone who would like to contribute to send on any opinion or thoughts on the matter to our twitter page or dublinontrackatgmail.com.

This is just the start and to be honest we were frankly amazed there wasnt a group or campaign set up already. I know in the past Platform 11 was active but since they've morphed into Rail Users Ireland they have faded away, so once again I hope people get on board with the campaign and we can get some reasoned debate going in the media and general public.

Very well done on this - any thoughts to link up or collaborate with commuter groups or environmentalist groups?

Maybe even the AA - if you could get their endorsement it would be powerful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Dardania wrote: »
    Very well done on this - any thoughts to link up or collaborate with commuter groups or environmentalist groups?

Maybe even the AA - if you could get their endorsement it would be powerful

This. It's important not to think of this as an isolated transport goal. It can and should also be framed as an environmental issue, housing issue, something that can advance equality, etc. It's important to get people thinking of the links with those issues (and they're real links, not spurious ones).

I've done some research on environmental groups/campaigns and one place many often fall down in is they miss out on opportunities to work with other groups (such as transport, housing, etc.) that might not seem related at first, but are actually closely linked once you think about it. Once these groups realise that they have common/complementary goals in mind, they can get a lot more done than when they are by themselves. Think of the Fossil Free movements springing up in Colleges and the likes; while maybe not something they are immediately involved with, the Metrolink is something that, if approached, they would almost definitely want to support.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Conchir wrote: »
    This. It's important not to think of this as an isolated transport goal. It can and should also be framed as an environmental issue, housing issue, something that can advance equality, etc. It's important to get people thinking of the links with those issues (and they're real links, not spurious ones).

I've done some research on environmental groups/campaigns and one place many often fall down in is they miss out on opportunities to work with other groups (such as transport, housing, etc.) that might not seem related at first, but are actually closely linked once you think about it. Once these groups realise that they have common/complementary goals in mind, they can get a lot more done than when they are by themselves. Think of the Fossil Free movements springing up in Colleges and the likes; while maybe not something they are immediately involved with, the Metrolink is something that, if approached, they would almost definitely want to support.

It could be worth trying to get some of the student unions involved as well. I imagine it should be easy to get the DCU student union involved at least seeing as it's going past their door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It could be worth trying to get some of the student unions involved as well. I imagine it should be easy to get the DCU student union involved at least seeing as it's going past their door.

also anyone within a 10-15 minute walk, who will see a nice jump in the value of their property!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

DCU for sure, it will also run directly past Trinity. With both unions actively campaigning for affordable accommodation, the link between efficient public transport and housing should be highlighted clearly to them so they see that this is something worth supporting. There is so much potential for a broad level of support, and the more that join together the stronger any support will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if there is crowd funding for this, to highlight on social media etc, the likes of McCarthy saying the luas would be a "white elephant" I am happy to donate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Talk to the political parties. Meet them, lay out the benefits in the most straight forward terms, get them to understand it’s a vote winner, get them onside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Talk to the political parties. Meet them, lay out the benefits in the most straight forward terms, get them to understand it’s a vote winner, get them onside.
    Given the success of West on Track at getting a Government to spend a 9 figure sum on a white elephant that requires a continuing operating subsidy and provides little socioeconomic benefit, it's surely a wise idea to progress a similar lobby group that would support a project benefitting six constituencies, will provide remarkable benefits in housing, accessibility, raising existing house prices, and attract new business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

marno21 wrote: »
    Given the success of West on Track at getting a Government to spend a 9 figure sum on a white elephant that requires a continuing operating subsidy and provides little socioeconomic benefit, it's surely a wise idea to progress a similar lobby group that would support a project benefitting six constituencies, will provide remarkable benefits in housing, accessibility, raising existing house prices, and attract new business.

I’ve always thought that Dublin suffers because the constituencies are so small physically, this means that the politicians involved lose focus. We need a few high profiles to be onboard from
    Across FF and FG so this doesn’t fall apart next election. Also a lobby group on greater Dublin transport to keep pressure on constantly not just on Metrolink but everything related.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DublinOnTrack

Really heartened to see the support already guys. Much appreciated.

In reply to what a previous poster said regarding a Dublin wide public transport lobby group, that is something that we definitely have in mind, hence the name. We didnt want to limit it to the MetroLink straight away but as we believe this is the most pressing matter currently thats what our focus will be on for the time being.

We will also be reaching out to other groups, such as the cycling lobby. They are a prime example of a group which would benefit from the metrolink being built. Less cars on the road, more room for cyclists etc. This relates to what a poster said earlier on, there are so many different benefits to MetroLink, e.g opening up vast swathes of the city for housing. It is so much more than a trainline to the airport and thats the message we need to get across. We will absolutely be reaching out to various environmental groups and the like.

For those wanting to help, we need two things. One we need a website. Two, please forward on any articles or material that directly challenge this project. Even tweets criticising it. We really need to try and clamp down on the misinformation being spread. We also need articles backing the project to try and change the narrative.

Great to see the support from everyone, once we get up and running we will get more like minded people on board and hold meetings with elected officials etc. But for now just want to say a big thanks to you all. Hopefully we are successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

So, so lovely to see frustration being turned into productive action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

We will also be reaching out to other groups, such as the cycling lobby. They are a prime example of a group which would benefit from the metrolink being built. Less cars on the road, more room for cyclists etc.

Just a heads up on this - some of the cycling residents of Ranelagh etc are worried that the metrolink will reduce the permeability of the area ie over bridges rather than underpasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Really heartened to see the support already guys. Much appreciated.

In reply to what a previous poster said regarding a Dublin wide public transport lobby group, that is something that we definitely have in mind, hence the name. We didnt want to limit it to the MetroLink straight away but as we believe this is the most pressing matter currently thats what our focus will be on for the time being.

We will also be reaching out to other groups, such as the cycling lobby. They are a prime example of a group which would benefit from the metrolink being built. Less cars on the road, more room for cyclists etc. This relates to what a poster said earlier on, there are so many different benefits to MetroLink, e.g opening up vast swathes of the city for housing. It is so much more than a trainline to the airport and thats the message we need to get across. We will absolutely be reaching out to various environmental groups and the like.

For those wanting to help, we need two things. One we need a website. Two, please forward on any articles or material that directly challenge this project. Even tweets criticising it. We really need to try and clamp down on the misinformation being spread. We also need articles backing the project to try and change the narrative.

Great to see the support from everyone, once we get up and running we will get more like minded people on board and hold meetings with elected officials etc. But for now just want to say a big thanks to you all. Hopefully we are successful.

Great stuff. Would you have a public meeting in the not too distant future, once ye have some more flesh on the bones, so to speak, to get more people on board and relay information fact-to-face?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DublinOnTrack

Great stuff. Would you have a public meeting in the not too distant future, once ye have some more flesh on the bones, so to speak, to get more people on board and relay information fact-to-face?

Absolutely, that is definitely one of the next steps. Getting people together and talking about this face to face. But like you said we will get the ball rolling first and have something substantial before we organise that but I cant see it being too far down the line.

Also just want to acknowledge specialbyte who has offered to build a website for us for free. Unbelievable gesture and we are extremely grateful.

I'll be making a submission myself, but perhaps one idea is to draw up a submission template that people may amend as they see fit. Closing date is the 11th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Give em hell lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Worth a separate thread for the metro support group so stuff doesn’t get lost in this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Absolutely, that is definitely one of the next steps. Getting people together and talking about this face to face. But like you said we will get the ball rolling first and have something substantial before we organise that but I cant see it being too far down the line.

Also just want to acknowledge specialbyte who has offered to build a website for us for free. Unbelievable gesture and we are extremely grateful.

Just a suggestion but it would be good to hear the otherside of the argument coming from glasnevin. The side that states they actually want a metro stop within walking/cycling distance to them.
    It'd stop giving such a negative nimbyism portrail of glasnevin and maybe stop na fianna having it all there own way.
    I'm sure there's plenty of residents there that want Metrolink built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

CatInABox wrote: »
    The station site at Whitworth Road can't move at all really, moving it away from the tracks will mean no interchange, which makes no sense at all.

The Mobhi Rd Station site can move, but moving it over towards Tolka house will mean the route goes close/under a section of Glasnevin Cemetery. I know others don't think it'll be a problem, but I can see major objections over it, along the lines of "disturbing our fallen 1916 heroes", etc. Most likely, they'd build a station on the Home Farm pitches, as Home Farm seem more amenable.

The Mobhi Rd TBM site will almost certainly move, there's too many valid objections to putting it there.

The Collins Ave Station could move, perhaps down to Albert College Park pitches, but that moves it further away from the ability to do easy bus interchanges on Collins Ave.

Realistically, moving the tunnel east or west is a no go, it'd be more expensive to tunnel under buildings, with more objections, than tunnelling under the road.

Agree Whitworth cannot be moved.

TBM will probably be moved.

Moving west as I suggested would miss all houses and the Cemetery.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Just a suggestion but it would be good to hear the otherside of the argument coming from glasnevin. The side that states they actually want a metro stop within walking/cycling distance to them.
    It'd stop giving such a negative nimbyism portrail of glasnevin and maybe stop na fianna having it all there own way.
    I'm sure there's plenty of residents there that want Metrolink built.

Look at

Unnamed Road
    Cabra - Glasnevin, Dublin
    53.374421, -6.270583

in relation to Na Fianna site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

piuswal wrote: »
    Look at

Unnamed Road
    Cabra - Glasnevin, Dublin
    53.374421, -6.270583

in relation to Na Fianna site

As a TBM site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Best of luck to you guys. Brilliant to see real life action being taken.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just a heads up on this - some of the cycling residents of Ranelagh etc are worried that the metrolink will reduce the permeability of the area ie over bridges rather than underpasses.

Stuff like this is pretty important as well, you can't just lobby the government, you've got to lobby other lobby groups as well. Talk to the lobby group for cyclists, find out what their concerns are, agree what would alleviate the problem, and then campaign together on that.

In this case, pedestrian bridges that also cater for easy cycling (i.e. a slope that is minor enough that a weak cyclist could get up it) would be a relatively easy win-win, as the budget should be able to cover it easily.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

CatInABox wrote: »
    Stuff like this is pretty important as well, you can't just lobby the government, you've got to lobby other lobby groups as well. Talk to the lobby group for cyclists, find out what their concerns are, agree what would alleviate the problem, and then campaign together on that.

In this case, pedestrian bridges that also cater for easy cycling (i.e. a slope that is minor enough that a weak cyclist could get up it) would be a relatively easy win-win, as the budget should be able to cover it easily.

This relates to Dunvill Ave at the Beechwood stop and also Richmond Ave entrance to Alexander School. It particularly relates to kids cycling to school. The current proposal is to put pedestrian foot bridges and lifts. Neither suit kids cycling to school.

It is not just cyclists that see this problem but parents.

This relates to Dunvill Ave at the Beechwood stop and also Richmond Ave entrance to Alexander School. It particularly relates to kids cycling to school. The current proposal is to put pedestrian foot bridges and lifts. Neither suit kids cycling to school.

It is not just cyclists that see this problem but parents.
    Meeting about it tonight in Ranelagh

https://twitter.com/RanelaghLife/status/992133351904567296

https://twitter.com/RanelaghLife/status/992132227671691264

https://twitter.com/GMBanks/status/992125298748678144

etc

As a TBM site?

Alternative station to Na Fianna. Possible TBM site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The 'best' solution to the Dunville Ave problem is to either raise the line, or raise the road - or alternatively lower either road or line. Raising the line is the solution for the Stillorgan stop, rising over St Raphaela's Road. The rise or fall is likely to be 5 metres. If this is at a station, this is further cost - but if it is needed, then it must be done.

It is a big project and must be done right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement