Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Marcusm wrote: »
    I’ve tried to find photos of this bridge to see what it used to look like. I heard it was only dismantled in 1995 but I don’t remember it at all.

It was a low bridge with restricted height. Not suitable for the current needs - probably could not deal with 4 by 4 SUVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Idbatterim wrote: »
    its a pity about the apartments, that is a real shame and that is a real pity IF they have to go, they should put in the bridge or cutting and thats it, no 'berlin wall' is going up and thats it and throw in two fingers for good measure!

FG etc must be delighted with the delays, another year closer to the **** hitting the fan! they can then axe the project and use the money to prop up world class welfare rates for example, while the workers can commute on the third world transport system here!

World class welfare for wealthy corporations, yeah?

Do you know that one of the world’s biggest corporations that is currently based in north Kildare gets a tax break from the state atm for hiring staff?

Think about that. We are subsidising a wealth corporation hiring staff in the middle of a boom.

But yeh keep up your whinging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭green shoots

am I the only person who kind of wishes the works were going on near my house? Not that any work on this project is ever likely to be done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

am I the only person who kind of wishes the works were going on near my house? Not that any work on this project is ever likely to be done...

I doubt it we all want a station at the bottom of our road. So long as it doesn’t ruin our parking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

lads I don't mind talking about public spending in Metro posts but can we avoid the thread descending into a general political spending thread please

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If the well to do Ranelagh and Rathmines residents dont want a metrolink to the airport, fine, dont give it to them!

BUT PLEASE do not sacrifice or delay the rest of this plan. Swords to Stephens Green will do just fine for now!
    Sorry but no.

Building Metro North and Metro South as one is the sensible option by some margin. Not building both would be akin to how the two Luas lines were unconnected. A substantial amount of passengers will want to go south of SSG and forcing them to transfer to a lower capacity system to indulge NIMBYs is not a worthwhile.

In addition to the fact that building Metro North + Metro South seperately would be an obscene inefficient waste of money. The type of inefficiency that one certain ****head regularly calls out when he has his monthly tantrum in the Sunday Business Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

marno21 wrote: »
    Sorry but no.

Building Metro North and Metro South as one is the sensible option by some margin. Not building both would be akin to how the two Luas lines were unconnected. A substantial amount of passengers will want to go south of SSG and forcing them to transfer to a lower capacity system to indulge NIMBYs is not a worthwhile.
    But the tramline outbound in rushhour isn't oversubscribed, so transferring pax could transfer, while there are swathes of Dublin which could use a rail PT solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,837 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Independent reporting a station is to be scrapped to save a GAA pitch. A fcuking GAA pitch.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/no-metro-stop-for-ranelagh-and-na-fianna-gaa-after-protests-37487396.html

Schenadigans on the southside too because every goon going on about "Berlin Walls" is being listened to.

That's planning in Ireland for you.

It's hopeless. My advice to young people like me - get the hell out of here. Really. This country is hopeless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭prunudo

Independent reporting a station is to be scrapped to save a GAA pitch. A fcuking GAA pitch.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/no-metro-stop-for-ranelagh-and-na-fianna-gaa-after-protests-37487396.html

Schenadigans on the southside too because every goon going on about "Berlin Walls" is being listened to.

It's hopeless. My advice to young people like me - get the hell out of here. Really. This country is hopeless.

Also mentions the possibility of alterations to Tara st link which is more worrying.
    But until the new plan is unveiled we can't really say what will happen.
    It is good to see reporting of areas loosing stations, hopefully shows the reality of people complaining too much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

That's been written by someone who doesn't know much about the Metrolink project. Na Fianna might be "losing" a station, but it's going to go in right next door into Home Farm instead, he even says that in the article, but doesn't manage to put it together.

Ranelagh also won't be losing a station, they'll be building a metro station underground there.

Nice to see articles that are showing the downsides to the changes to any changes to the Metrolink plan, but I'd prefer if it was more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The only ones losing out are the locals. If this is what's required to get this project going then burst on

But the tramline outbound in rushhour isn't oversubscribed, so transferring pax could transfer, while there are swathes of Dublin which could use a rail PT solution.

Indeed, however Metrolink, which is being fed also by 2 new DART lines, will flood the Luas with passengers and will likely make it overcapacity. Hence the requirement for Metro South.

The station isn't being scrapped, the article is just poorly worded. Originally the TBM + station works were to take over Na Fianna + Home Farm, now there will be no TBM in Glasnevin and it'll just be the Home Farm site being used which will accommodate the station works.

Of bigger concern to me is the fudge that will be required to facilitate the Ranelagh ****ers and this "FURORE" about knocking one apartment block on Tara Street in order to facilitate the biggest public transport interchange in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Well done Home Farm. They're obviously smart enough to realise a good deal when they see it, unlike others.

Bottling it regards College Gate is pathetic though, but not a huge surprise.

Ranelagh... reserving judgement. But there's no real reason for a Charlemont underground station if there's one at Ranelagh.

What's the basis behind the Ranelagh objections? I really can't understand how you can champion losing significantly improved transport access

https://twitter.com/RMetrolink/status/1058783886770143233

What's the basis behind the Ranelagh objections? I really can't understand how you can champion losing significantly improved transport access

https://twitter.com/RMetrolink/status/1058783886770143233

To be fair if that crossing at Dunville gets closed to cars there are hundreds of houses that will lose the ability to leave their estate by a different route to Ranelagh Main Street (albeit some of the exits are away from the village). That crossing is quite busy with a supermarket and some other shops just a few meters away.
    The Berlin Wall rubbish is just nonsense but that’s how these protests go these days just like the tweet you quoted with closing for 2 years mentioned. They use hyperbole to make their point. Regardless of how the tie in is done the line will need some closure so the tweet is disingenuous about the win for commuters.

salmocab wrote: »
    To be fair if that crossing at Dunville gets closed to cars there are hundreds of houses that will lose the ability to leave their estate by a different route to Ranelagh Main Street (albeit some of the exits are away from the village). That crossing is quite busy with a supermarket and some other shops just a few meters away.
    The Berlin Wall rubbish is just nonsense but that’s how these protests go these days just like the tweet you quoted with closing for 2 years mentioned. They use hyperbole to make their point. Regardless of how the tie in is done the line will need some closure so the tweet is disingenuous about the win for commuters.
    I agree that closing Dunville Avenue would not be acceptable. Thankfully, the NTA also agree and have proposed solutions.

The 2 year nonsense is being driven by a select few and should be corrected by the NTA. Closing the Luas for one year is a better idea than the LUAS permanently being unavailable to people in Ranelagh from approx 2027 when the Luases are full by there.

Some of these individuals need to take their heads out of their arses and realise there is no perfect solution here.

I agree that closing Dunville Avenue would not be acceptable. Thankfully, the NTA also agree and have proposed solutions.

The 2 year nonsense is being driven by a select few and should be corrected by the NTA. Closing the Luas for one year is a better idea than the LUAS permanently being unavailable to people in Ranelagh from approx 2027 when the Luases are full by there.

Some of these individuals need to take their heads out of their arses and realise there is no perfect solution here.

I frequent a pub in Ranelagh occasionally and there is a poster up in the toilets from that crowd, it says to send an email from everyone in the house and if they get 10,000 complaints then they will get the project changed. It’s not about Dunville they want the metro elsewhere fullstop. It’s a bunch of rabble rousers who can’t differentiate between actual local issues that can and will be addressed and broader issues that won’t be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

bk wrote: »
    You can't just decide to stop at Stephens Green, it doesn't work like that.

You would need to build a massive expensive turn around facility under Stephens Green and dig up most of the Green to do it. That was what was planned under the original Metro North.

This is incorrect. In the event that the authorities decided to do what the poster CreativeSen suggested there should be no reason why a St. Stephen's Green terminus should be any different from other termini on other underground or overground systems elsewhere in the world. In other words, a train would enter at one or other of two platforms and (if necessary) travel a bit beyond that platform and - after the driver changes ends - return to the platform for trains heading away from the terminus.

There is no massive turnaround facility at Howth, Maynooth or Bray or anywhere else on the overground rail network in Dublin, nor is there at the Point, the Connolly LUAS stop, Tallaght, Citywest, Sandyford or Broombridge or any other terminus on the LUAS network.

I am not aware of any turnaround facility, on any system I've seen, which would have been as expensive, or as unnecessary, or as crass, as the RPA's proposal for St. Stephen's Green. It was almost as absurd as their proposal for the two stations at O'Connell Bridge.

The Victoria Line southern terminus in London, which will be familiar to many readers of the board, is a nice example of an underground terminus which broadly has the arrangement described above and produces a northbound output of a train every 100 seconds. There are thousands of others.

(What you do occassionally see are tram systems where there are doors on only one side of the tram, in which case a loop is necessary at the terminus. But I've never read that such vehicles are proposed for the metro).
    bk wrote: »
    The nice thing about linking into the Luas Green Line is that it eliminated the need for this massive and expensive works. Instead you just tie into the Green line and make use of the existing depot and turn around facilities at the Sandymount depot.

It actually makes the entire project more straight forward and simpler, while also benefiting from upgrading the Luas line, better connectivity and for little extra cost.

The authorities might indeed eventually proceed with an unnecessary upgrade of the Green Line as part of this proposal. But it is very much to be hoped that avoiding 'massive and expensive works' at St. Stephen's Green is not part of their reasoning for doing so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Siting at TBM site at Na Fianna never made any sense given not just the likely opposition from the club but the schools, the confined roads etc etc -- they should have just adjusted the plan they had for beside DCU.

It's not just one apartment beside Tara Street Station, it's also well-used and just revamped swimming pool and other community resources... but even if you don't agree, if another plan can be put in place, why get worked up about it? A 50 or even 150 metre walk or even a bit more will not reduce the interchange function much at all.

As for Dunville Ave -- I find it interesting that some people see a detour for cars as unacceptable but are ok with knocking down inner city apartments and a public swimming pool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

monument wrote: »
    Siting at TBM site at Na Fianna never made any sense given not just the likely opposition from the club but the schools, the confined roads etc etc -- they should have just adjusted the plan they had for beside DCU.

I'd agree here, it was "optimistic", to say the least.
    It's not just one apartment beside Tara Street Station, it's also well-used and just revamped swimming pool and other community resources... but even if you don't agree, if another plan can be put in place, why get worked up about it? A 50 or even 150 metre walk or even a bit more will not reduce the interchange function much at all.

It's a temporary thing though, once the station is completed, more apartments will be built there than before. I'd assume that a new, more modern public gym/pool would be included in the plans. It's a pain for everyone involved, and you can complain about waste and all, but it looks unavoidable to me.

Having to leave one station to cross several roads, including one extremely busy road, will definitely impact upon interchangeability.
    As for Dunville Ave -- I find it interesting that some people see a detour for cars as unacceptable but are ok with knocking down inner city apartments and a public swimming pool.

Don't think there's many here saying that to be honest, most here would be happy to close Dunville Avenue if the result is a Metrolink at the end of it.

• Advertisement

There are alternative options at Dunville, overbridge, underbridge, at grade (which means closure). Whatever happens at Dunville is also permanent.

That is not the case at Tara St. There are no other options beside demoliton. The site becomes available again when the station is built and a new apartment block can take its place. If the NTA could have avoided demolishing the apartment block I would imagine they would have taken an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭prunudo

Zebra3 wrote: »

Pity they didn't interview other locals who have nothing to do with the club and would have liked a metro station near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,837 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The faces of NIMBY's

16%20NEWS%20o%20north%20story%20DE%2002.jpg

Despite the smiles you actually lose - but common sense does not come in to it.

Seriously, they're not losing a station. It's moved a couple of hundred metres, that's all, you'd walk it in a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Wish we could ban the word NIMBY here. Just been banished around now when people have nothing else to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

The faces of NIMBY's

16%20NEWS%20o%20north%20story%20DE%2002.jpg

Despite the smiles you actually lose - but common sense does not come in to it.

This post is gross. I would like to register disapproval.

Anyways the Home Farm pitch is literally right beside the Fianna so if they are happy to have all the equipment and stuff there then I don't see the issue. Seems like a perfectly good solution for everyone.

madbeanman wrote: »
    This post is gross. I would like to register disapproval.

Anyways the Home Farm pitch is literally right beside the Fianna so if they are happy to have all the equipment and stuff there then I don't see the issue. Seems like a perfectly good solution for everyone.

And apparently they are getting 5 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭plodder

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s nothing wrong with residents protesting about changes to their neighborhoods or na Fianna not wanting to lose their pitches. So long as it’s all dealt with correctly. Ultimately the greater good needs to win out but we can’t really just expect people to accept massive changes but it’s important to deal with them in a fair manner.
    Maybe bookmark the article though, for when the inevitable complaints arise from people in the area who aren't happy that they've been bypassed by the Metro.... after it's built of course. That's when the benefits will become clearer and all the fuss over construction disappears in a puff of smoke.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Maybe bookmark the article though, for when the inevitable complaints arise from people in the area who aren't happy that they've been bypassed by the Metro.... after it's built of course. That's when the benefits will become clearer and all the fuss over construction disappears in a puff of smoke.

And Michael McDowell and co will be gone off into the blue yonder

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement