Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dropped my mum off at windy arbor luas yesterday at 6:30pm and it was a sardine can heading into the city centre. I didn’t expect that , I knew outbound it would be mental , but didn’t expect that inbound!

The below just appeared in Irish times, doesn’t surprise me and unlike the many many many fianna or Berlin Wall gob****es, knocking down people’s homes, I am not surprised it meeting opposition, any of us here, even the biggest anti nimby, would do the same!

https://www.irishtimes...p-1.3690751?mode=amp

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Can we not build this station underneath the existing Tara St forecourt outside the station, and knock Kennedys pub to make room.

Two birds, one stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

marno21 wrote: »

The article actually says owners are worried they wouldn’t be able to buy in the same area, I’d be happy enough that they will mostly take the CPO cash that’s offered if the premium over market value is enough.
    Money will be regained when the station is built and a new apartment block can go in with extra apartments.
    They can afford to give these people a good pay off because unlike most CPOs the land can be used again once the works are done (obviously the station needs to be built in a way that allows a building go up over it).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Metro will not start construction for a few years and not finish for nearly a decade. They may not reach Tara St for five years, by which time those currently living in that tower block could well have moved out.

I did not think 500 people lived there. It is certainly a small price to pay to have a Metro service to the airport from the city centre. They could build a larger block of flats apartments nearby with a big leisure centre in the basement.

More negative reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

I seen this poster at a bus stop in Harold's Cross by none other than Eamon Ryan :rolleyes:

What he is talking about here is doubling if not more the cost of Metrolink rather than relatively small cost of upgrading the Luas. Thankfully he seems to be the only person shouting for it and its just vote winning exercise for him as he has nothing to lose.
    metro+alternative+map.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Can we not build this station underneath the existing Tara St forecourt outside the station, and knock Kennedys pub to make room.

Two birds, one stone.

You won't be touching Kennedy's. There's a reason it's still there.

Very listed and very important part of historic Dublin. On site since 1800s. Soz bbz.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MetroLinker

On site since 1800s.

It was built in 1905 (http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=DU&regno=50020311) but an "earlier building on this site served as an hotel and public house from the middle of the nineteenth century."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Two birds, one stone.

Doesn't look like there's enough room there to dig the station box without knocking the ground floor Tara St station building, which would essentially remove one of the busiest stations in Dublin for months, possibly (probably, in my opinion) over a year.

Then you're left with the fact that all interchange passengers will be joining at the north end of the platform again. Even now, it can be crowded at that end of the platform, people don't seem to want to move down for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

@MetroLinker is there any chance you could update is re NTA and College Gate? I don't mean to pry or anything, just if you were able/felt comfortable I'm sure people would be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MetroLinker

Dats me wrote: »
    @MetroLinker is there any chance you could update is re NTA and College Gate? I don't mean to pry or anything, just if you were able/felt comfortable I'm sure people would be interested

I didn't attend the meeting so can't update you. When I spoke to someone, they said that the delay to January was mentioned.

I didn't attend the meeting so can't update you. When I spoke to someone, they said that the delay to January was mentioned.

Very fair, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It was built in 1905 (http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=DU&regno=50020311) but an "earlier building on this site served as an hotel and public house from the middle of the nineteenth century."
    I should've said, "pub on site".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

not1but4 wrote: »
    I seen this poster at a bus stop in Harold's Cross by none other than Eamon Ryan :rolleyes:

What he is talking about here is doubling if not more the cost of Metrolink rather than relatively small cost of upgrading the Luas. Thankfully he seems to be the only person shouting for it and its just vote winning exercise for him as he has nothing to lose.

God, that is mad! That would turn the Metrolink into a 5 to 6 billion project! Not a hope it would get built then.

Fecking Ryan and the Greens, first they gave us cancer causing Diesel cars, now they want to kill the Metro! :mad:

bk wrote: »
    God, that is mad! That would turn the Metrolink into a 5 to 6 billion project! Not a hope it would get built then.

Fecking Ryan and the Greens, first they gave us cancer causing Diesel cars, now they want to kill the Metro! :mad:

Ryan is a terrible green, he cares far more about elections than the environment

Also apparently he draws like a child

Ryan's off his rocker with that proposal. Its like a child's drawing. And its 3 separate projects.

Baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Eamon Ryan is completely off his nut with that proposal for linking up the Metro with the Luas; especially for the proposed Luas link to Booterstown DART Station. The proposal for that area will never happen whatsoever. It is just plain nonsense & an utter farce.

Eamon Ryan is completely off his nut with that proposal for linking up the Metro with the Luas; especially for the proposed Luas link to Booterstown DART Station. The proposal for that area will never happen whatsoever. It is just plain nonsense & an utter farce.

I think it should go without saying that anything Ryan suggests will never happen. His party couldn’t be more irrelevant which is impressive as now more than ever people are concerned for the environment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave Eamonn Ryan with the fairies and concentrate on the published route. There is a thread for alternative dreams for Metrolink

• Advertisement

Full page article on the various options including CPOs in today's Sunday Business Post for anyone interested

Any chance you could post a photo of it? I don't have a subscription

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Turns out Dublin City Council have no problem with tearing down buildings around Tara St, they voted to delist Pearse House and Markievicz House from the Record of Protected Structures, and hope to press ahead with the demolition and total replacement of the structures.

See here.

In fairness to them, I also agree with the decision. As much as I love the look of those buildings, I don't have to live there. Sounds like a right hellhole right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't be touching Kennedy's. There's a reason it's still there.

Very listed and very important part of historic Dublin. On site since 1800s. Soz bbz.

The refurb to generic hipster pub has removed any character and made it ripe for delisting.

Old Kennedy's was worth saving, the same owners decided to make it pointless to protect

https://www.fm104.ie/news/ranelagh-row-set-to-rumble-on/

RANELAGH ROW SET TO RUMBLE ON

Keeping Dunville Avenue open after the construction of the Proposed Dublin Metro could cost €77 million.

That's according to the Sunday Business Post.

Local residents oppose the opening of a metro station at the current Beechwood Luas stop, as it would mean they have to travel through Ranelagh village to get to Rathmines, a journey of 1.2 kilometres.

The paper reports that the ReThink MetroLink group are looking for the tunnel to be extended further south - but a tunnel as far as Milltown could add a further 300 Million euro to the cost of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭cgcsb

not1but4 wrote: »

metro+alternative+map.jpg

Well we might as well abandon transport modelling and planning altogether then. Sorted. Now we just need to start printing money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

cgcsb wrote: »
    Well we might as well abandon transport modelling and planning altogether then. Sorted. Now we just need to start printing money.

That explains why there is a proposed stop at The Mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

Ridiculous that in ten years all of these folks in Glasnevin/Ranelagh will be giving out if things don't change, yet they have the opportunity to have a top class rail system on their door step and seem miserable about it. I know it's a minority in these areas but a vocal one. Spoiled brat syndrome.

The only reason I want this luas line prioritised to metro is that it will lead to another two metros in the next 20 to 25 years imo. This with a dart underground could give us a top class transport system.
    The harolds cross/rathmines through terenure, rathfarnham and knocklyon route is so glaringly obvious and needs to be built asap after this. I would also do the metro west starting in dundrum right through rathfarnham, knocklyon, on to it's original route would be terrific. I know it isn't the right thread but i'm a little tired of the goings on of many on the projected m1 route and wished they realised how lucky they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

https://www.fm104.ie/news/ranelagh-row-set-to-rumble-on/

RANELAGH ROW SET TO RUMBLE ON

Keeping Dunville Avenue open after the construction of the Proposed Dublin Metro could cost €77 million.

That's according to the Sunday Business Post.

Local residents oppose the opening of a metro station at the current Beechwood Luas stop, as it would mean they have to travel through Ranelagh village to get to Rathmines, a journey of 1.2 kilometres.

The paper reports that the ReThink MetroLink group are looking for the tunnel to be extended further south - but a tunnel as far as Milltown could add a further 300 Million euro to the cost of the project.

Realistic call I think there is more outcry in Ranelagh at the loss of pedestrian routes than car access. That being said, closing Dunville Ave would mean no East/west route between Milltown Road and Charleston Road which, at current traffic levels, would have a consequent knock on effect on bus traffic (18/142 principally).

Personally, I suspect that the compromise will ll be metro tying in at “Beechwood South”. Realistically, while the Harold’s X, Terenure etc route is v attractive, it’s probably too late for such a radical alteration to be proposed at this stage. The Greens should have been on top of it before now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Qrt

Marcusm wrote: »
    it’s probably too late for such a radical alteration to be proposed at this stage. The Greens should have been on top of it before now.

I think it's more a case of it'd be too expensive, considering the "Dublin gets everything" attitude when it comes to PT – the project would just die really. Keep in mine, there are still murals of the DART in Killinarden...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement