Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

I know the proposal will probably be for High Floor automatic. I was in SF for a couple of weeks and used the N-Judah Muni light rail line to/from Cole Valley quite a bit. I wonder could they minimise the length of time part of the Green Line is closed by using steps on the tram that can adjust for lower platform heights..
    465993.jpg

465994.jpg

465995.jpg

465998.jpg

One door may be aligned with a boarding ramp, with the steps not dropping in tram

466000.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Creating an accessibility issue probably wouldn't go down to well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Last pic is a boarding ramp, which is what they do in SF. It could be temporary, as they extend out the high floor platform.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It wouldn't make sense to add the extra cost and complexity of the above as a temporary fix to vehicles which would likely exist for 50 years.

Probably easier to just use temporary platform structures during construction.

Of course that is assuming they go for the tie-in option, if they go for the inline option, then the Green line would be closed for a few months anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭plodder

That explains why there is a proposed stop at The Mint.
    It would all be so amusing if the stakes weren't so high. I often think Dubliners are the most insular and parochial group in the country. The biggest objection to doing anything in Dublin usually comes from other Dubliners who think they aren't benefiting (enough). I just hope that Ryan's crayon and ruler plan gets exactly the reception it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There could be a raised ramp for, say, the last coach for that purpose. The train would always stop in the one place so it is always aligned, and wheelchair access is always guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There could be a raised ramp for, say, the last coach for that purpose. The train would always stop in the one place so it is always aligned, and wheelchair access is always guaranteed.

In fairness a couple of temporary ramps per station could be installed in the affected stations over a long weekend shutdown with stations being shut one by one for permanent raising of the platforms. If they are lengthening the platforms it’s even easier as they can just raise the new bit in advance. Although if the metro is wider than a luas at the level of the current luas floor/platform that may be an issue by I’d imagine at wheel level of a high floor there would probably be clearance.
    That all said I can see the sections having to be closed for a good while for the tie in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was thinking that some of the work could be carried out early in the project. For exampe, the required bridge over St Raephaela's Road in Stillorgan could be constructed soon. The bridge is needed now to ease the chaotic traffic lights, and would not add to the ultimate cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

L1011 wrote: »
    The refurb to generic hipster pub has removed any character and made it ripe for delisting.

Old Kennedy's was worth saving, the same owners decided to make it pointless to protect

Old Kennedy's flooded and the whole of the inside plaster work all came down and was destroyed.

Great job done on it and never lost any character, clientele, music or the great Stout.

What happened when it transitioned to "The Workshop" in 2015 was truly a horrible day and one I have yet to really get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

I have a huge amount of respect for Eamonn Ryan, but I just came across an article from 2006(!!) of him campaigning for the green line to be upgraded to Metro standard. It can only be populism that he's opposing it now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/extended-luas-line-will-need-to-be-replaced-by-2020-1.780594

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dats me wrote: »
    I have a huge amount of respect for Eamonn Ryan, but I just came across an article from 2006(!!) of him campaigning for the green line to be upgraded to Metro standard. It can only be populism that he's opposing it now.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/extended-luas-line-will-need-to-be-replaced-by-2020-1.780594

https://twitter.com/eamonryan/status/1067068357529214976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭prunudo

This is nothing to do with helping people in other parts of the city. They just don't want it close to their houses.
    Sw Dublin should also get a metro line but not at the expense of the greenline upgrade.

Edit. That 2006 report could have been written now, scarily accurate. Just shows that there is demand for large scale transport projects if only the politctians had the balls to back them.

Its like they think they have to drip feed us infrastructure as they're afraid of getting egg on their face over it being a white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The way we carry on at times youd wonder do we deserve good infastructure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

roadmaster wrote: »
    The way we carry on at times youd wonder do we deserve good infastructure

We do, unfortunately the dail aren’t as keen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Other than the money aspect, is it that crazy to say that it makes sense to have both the metro and the Luas in the south city?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Other than the money aspect, is it that crazy to say that it makes sense to have both the metro and the Luas in the south city?

No, if money aspect wasn't an issue, then it would make sense to both upgrade the Green Line to Metro and build a separate SW Metro line.

I mean if money really wasn't an issue, we would build 6 Metro lines like Riyadh is currently doing!

Unfortunately money is the major issue here and can't just be ignored.

I'd also say what would be crazy, would be to not upgrade the green Luas line, that has reached maximum capacity, with people being left behind on platforms, when the line was originally designed to be upgradeable to Metro and could be upgraded for a relatively small cost.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The numbers for the projected costs of any of the options south of SSG still look unsubstantiated, in particular the estimates used when showing the only publicly-available CBA for Metrolink.

I also never could find out why the other two CBAs carried out for the Metrolink proposal were never published.

Surely those CBAs didn't come to a negative conclusion about the new scheme?!? :confused:

As for Eamonn Ryan's discussion in 2006, he was talking about upgrading the entirety of the Green line and the B1 extension to metro standard at 2020. Not this half-assed "upgrade to Sandyford only" approach.

I'd like to discuss the Times article, but I thought discussing alternatives or the old plan was banned in this thread :pac: kinda makes talking about opposition to Metrolink difficult.

• Advertisement

I'd like to discuss the Times article, but I thought discussing alternatives or the old plan was banned in this thread :pac: kinda makes talking about opposition to Metrolink difficult.

Mod: There is another thread to discuss alternatives. If it was permitted here, it would lead to so many rabbit holes appearing for posters to disappear into, the discussions would rapidly become a cacophony of discord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ok, to be clear so, opposing metrolink is also not allowed then? I'm getting the impression that's what's meant by a "cacophony of discord" - disagreeing with the remit, studies and conclusions in the metrolink process so far. I would like to point out this thread was originally the thread for discussing Metro North, ironically, but has been retitled.

Ok, to be clear so, opposing metrolink is also not allowed then? I'm getting the impression that's what's meant by a "cacophony of discord" - disagreeing with the remit, studies and conclusions in the metrolink process so far. I would like to point out this thread was originally the thread for discussing Metro North, ironically, but has been retitled.

Mod: If you discuss Metrolink as published - even opposing the plans - that is OK, but saying it should go via some other route - that is not.

Within the plans there are options discussed, eg low floor or high floor vehicle; where the tunnel rises to connect to the GL; two tube or mono tube. All these are OK, but not a tunnel to Tallaght, or a Luas to Rathfarnum.

Look, I am not trying to stifle discussion, just stop it running down rabbit holes. There is an existing thread for alternative routes, and another for Dart expansion.

I have created another thread for discussion of the Green Line upgrade here as that's the main "alternative" discussion at present

There is already an alternative routes discussion but that's mainly for strassenwolfs periodic posts, so official discussion of the pros and cons of the Green Line upgrade and the related Nimbyism can go in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I've lost track somewhat.

What is the timetable now for the updated proposed route from the NTA?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bray Head wrote: »
    I've lost track somewhat.

What is the timetable now for the updated proposed route from the NTA?

Early next year, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

CatInABox wrote: »
    Early next year, I believe.

When this plan is released, how long will it be in public consultation? If there is mass uproar are we looking at another plan that could take a few more months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Qrt

tom1ie wrote: »
    When this plan is released, how long will it be in public consultation? If there is mass uproar are we looking at another plan that could take a few more months?

Considering I believe we've seen the worst of the uproar (they have already tried to close the road junctions and knock the apartment block like, not to mention Na Fianna), I can't see it taking long really. Unless they decide to knock the GPO or something ridiculous that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Qrt wrote: »
    Considering I believe we've seen the worst of the uproar (they have already tried to close the road junctions and knock the apartment block like, not to mention Na Fianna), I can't see it taking long really. Unless they decide to knock the GPO or something ridiculous that is.

Yeah but if the portal is moved further south, that's gonna have an impact on other properties that are gonna kick up a stink, thus delaying things again.
    If we do get by the next consultation my understanding is there is an application for planning permission then (a railway procurement order?) How long does that take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭cgcsb

An issue that hasn't seemed to surface is the closure of O'Connell St Upper for a prolonged period to build a station there. This will mean either severing the northbound luas for a time or closing the southbound carriageway and Eastern footpath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement