Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hmmm. Just realised that the €50 million figure is just for this year. That changes things considerably actually. My guess is that the overspend on the hospital will continue to rise, and that money taken from other capital spending will continue to rise as well. Nuts.

€50 million is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but €50 million a year? That's projects getting cancelled or delayed.

I guess the anonymous FG ministers were right when they complained about the health service, it's a money black hole.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CatInABox wrote: »
    The TII have written to around 140 properties to start getting a preliminary survey done on the buildings, according to the Irish Times. It also has the nugget of info that the revised plan will be published next month, so it's good to see that they're roughly on track.

Also in the Irish Times, Alexandra College is opposing the closing of two of their entrances that cross the Luas line. They've even gone so far as to bring in a firm to draw up their objection.
    Tender issued for this now:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=139765&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

I may or may not have heard that they're going with the fully automated, driverless option. That's good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I may or may not have heard that they're going with the fully automated, driverless option. That's good news.
    Excellent news if true!

This would suggest high-floor trains, which is another plus for the route

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I love this: Noel Rock is suggesting that the project gets split into two, north and south, so that the "squabbles" on the southside don't delay the northside section.

No mention of his "squabble" over Na Fianna at all, sure butter wouldn't melt in his mouth!

Anyway, the Na Fianna situation seems to have been totally resolved, so there's not much point in bringing it up anymore, Noel Rock just does as Noel Rock does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭cgcsb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Presumably Noel Rock has an engineering solution as to how the tunnel debris can be removed once the TBM starts up again under the Liffey. Maybe O Connell street can be used as a compound. He really is a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

salmocab wrote: »
    Presumably Noel Rock has an engineering solution as to how the tunnel debris can be removed once the TBM starts up again under the Liffey. Maybe O Connell street can be used as a compound. He really is a fool.

Apart from the Apartment Complex/Leisure centre, are any of the 'squabbles' on the south side before the end of the tunnel section (wherever that may be). I'm not advocating it but you could probably do all the tunnelling and just... not connect it to the green line, maybe that not what rock had in mind but apart from causing a whole heap of issues regarding turnbacks etc (which you would have anyway further north) that would be the best way to do what he's after.

Apart from the Apartment Complex/Leisure centre, are any of the 'squabbles' on the south side before the end of the tunnel section (wherever that may be). I'm not advocating it but you could probably do all the tunnelling and just... not connect it to the green line, maybe that not what rock had in mind but apart from causing a whole heap of issues regarding turnbacks etc (which you would have anyway further north) that would be the best way to do what he's after.

Rock had nothing in mind except getting his mug in the papers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

salmocab wrote: »
    Rock had nothing in mind except getting his mug in the papers again.

Oh I wasn't under any misapprehension about that at all, hes just soapboxing for visibility, I'm just saying that, given the wild infeasibility of what he suggests, the most feasible way to carry out his massively infeasible idea would be to finish the tunnelling entirely instead of having to restart it and only dealing with inner city south side issues.

• Advertisement

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.....

Shane Ross has rejected the calls to split the Metrolink project into separate North and South projects. It's incredibly rare that I'll say this, so here goes: Well done, Shane Ross.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.....

Shane Ross has rejected the calls to split the Metrolink project into separate North and South projects. It's incredibly rare that I'll say this, so here goes: Well done, Shane Ross.

It must be terribly embarrassing to have an idea and Shane Ross thinks it’s terrible.

Politicians are failed primary school teachers. They're in way over their heads with technical issues. Silence is the best substitute for knowledge.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Why Dublin's MetroLink is too important to succumb to the whingers and naysayers

https://fora.ie/readme/metrolink-dublin-service-4472330-Feb2019/

THANK YOU. More of this stuff please rather than the endless negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭madbeanman

Speaking of negativity, this cost overrun at the children’s hospital is (rightly) not leaving the news. They have announced that the overrun will effect other capital investment projects. Have they announced if the cuts will only effect health expenditure or is anything up for grabs? If so it might effect the metro or perhaps delay it slightly :/

madbeanman wrote: »
    Speaking of negativity, this cost overrun at the children’s hospital is (rightly) not leaving the news. They have announced that the overrun will effect other capital investment projects. Have they announced if the cuts will only effect health expenditure or is anything up for grabs? If so it might effect the metro or perhaps delay it slightly :/

100 million has to be found this year, 50 from health, 50 from every other possible capital project.

These cuts will most likely be repeated yearly, but the amounts will vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MetroLinker

I would be surprised if there wasn't some budget uplift in the MetroLink due to the ongoing delays and changes to the design. I would imagine that the government like to deal with large project budget problems one at a time so they may be waiting for the National Children's Hospital issue to settle down before announcing another large infrastructure budget uplift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There has been no cost put on metrolink yet. The reason is simple:

It is impossible to predict what construction costs will be in 2025 when the work is fully underway.

(That does not necessarily mean they will rise. They are as likely to fall. )

First week of March is set for a metrolink announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MetroLinker

There has been no cost put on metrolink yet.

Is it not Option 9 as the preferred route which was costed at €4.26 billion in the report? Plus extras due to the changes south of Charlemont.

• Advertisement

The cost benefit analysis was ran at a range of 3 billion to 4 billion, at 2018 prices. We'll have a better idea once the preferred route is published.

cgcsb wrote: »
    First week of March is set for a metrolink announcement.

Is this definite or open to flexiblity as per the last 6/7 planned monthly announcements?

With the local elections coming up, it's going to be difficult in and around Ranelagh due to the vast spread of virulent misinformation in that area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭prunudo

marno21 wrote: »
    Is this definite or open to flexiblity as per the last 6/7 planned monthly announcements?

With the local elections coming up, it's going to be difficult in and around Ranelagh due to the vast spread of virulent misinformation in that area

I've said before but its hugely important that the NTA get out with facts from the minute the plan is announced. Its too important of a project to get bogged down is misinformation and social media fake news.

jvan wrote: »
    I've said before but its hugely important that the NTA get out with facts from the minute the plan is announced. Its too important of a project to get bogged down is misinformation and social media fake news.

Indeed, more specifically they should be telling all and sundry that:
    • the estimates on the green line capacity were made before the recent removal of height restrictions, and that the scope of developments along the Green Line may involve more people than previously predicted, shortening the time before the Green Line hits capacity.
    • any attempt to reroute the south portion will result in a full survey of the southside to identify the optimal route, a process that may well take years to complete
    • that the above survey will also include the Green Line upgrade, which has a Cost Benefit Ratio far better than any other predicted route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭prunudo

Indeed, more specifically they should be telling all and sundry that:
    • the estimates on the green line capacity were made before the recent removal of height restrictions, and that the scope of developments along the Green Line may involve more people than previously predicted, shortening the time before the Green Line hits capacity.
    • any attempt to reroute the south portion will result in a full survey of the southside to identify the optimal route, a process that may well take years to complete
    • that the above survey will also include the Green Line upgrade, which has a Cost Benefit Ratio far better than any other predicted route.

Good point re the revised height restrictions, I hadn't thought of that before.

jvan wrote: »
    Good point re the revised height restrictions, I hadn't thought of that before.

I only put it together the other day, was just reading about another developer who had gone back to ABP to see if they can raise the amount of stories on one of their developments. I'd be surprised if I didn't see Cairn Homes and Hines going back to ABP for Cherrywood, not for the ones that they're currently building, but the next set of applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

best case scenario? they build this before the **** hits the fan. If that does not happen, I hope the below, is what stop them coming up with the next farce of a redesigning the wheel proposal or just makes them shelve the current plan they are doing until things recover... (lets hope far more residential, hotels and commercial are completed, before the next slow down or crash)!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dublin-crane-count-clocks-up-record-high-for-fourth-month-in-a-row-1.3781710

Why do we now need this automated highish capacity metro, when these same morons or 'experts' a few years back, proposed some joke luas extension via some joke of a route?

surely they would have planned for growth etc? So they were lying or again total morons? Look at the childrens hospital, dont even get me going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Idbatterim wrote: »
    best case scenario? they build this before the **** hits the fan. If that does not happen, I hope the below, is what stop them coming up with the next farce of a redesigning the wheel proposal or just makes them shelve the current plan they are doing until things recover... (lets hope far more residential, hotels and commercial are completed, before the next slow down or crash)!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dublin-crane-count-clocks-up-record-high-for-fourth-month-in-a-row-1.3781710

Why do we now need this automated highish capacity metro, when these same morons or 'experts' a few years back, proposed some joke luas extension via some joke of a route?

surely they would have planned for growth etc? So they were lying or again total morons? Look at the childrens hospital, dont even get me going!

1. Plan gets suggested.
    2. Plan gets enough traction to be brought to detailed design stage and outline approval.
    3. “This must NORT be built” articles go in the papers, designed to put the collywobbles into the senior civil servants who “advise” the minister
    4. Some sob story about one aspect of the plan gets traction.
    5. Plan goes back for redesign. Go back one year.
    6. Plan now insufficient for demand. Go back another five years and redesign, again.
    7. “What about the underpaid xxxx” gets trotted out. Ministers privately run scared of the latest short term fix demanded, while those in the previous government all go Billy Big Bollocks about what they would be doing, if they hadn’t been fecked out on their arses for being useless bastards.
    8. Plan gets deferred until it is forgotten.
    9. Go back to 1. and start again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

1. Plan gets suggested.
    2. Plan gets enough traction to be brought to detailed design stage and outline approval.
    3. “This must NORT be built” articles go in the papers, designed to put the collywobbles into the senior civil servants who “advise” the minister
    4. Some sob story about one aspect of the plan gets traction.
    5. Plan goes back for redesign. Go back one year.
    6. Plan now insufficient for demand. Go back another five years and redesign, again.
    7. “What about the underpaid xxxx” gets trotted out. Ministers privately run scared of the latest short term fix demanded, while those in the previous government all go Billy Big Bollocks about what they would be doing, if they hadn’t been fecked out on their arses for being useless bastards.
    8. Plan gets deferred until it is forgotten.
    9. Go back to 1. and start again.

You're not allowed talk like that here.:D

• Advertisement

Rethink Metro link have apparently stepped up their efforts to "inform" on the works. See here.

Those poor pedestrians, having to use lifts to get over the tracks :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement