Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

CatInABox wrote: »
    Rethink Metro link have apparently stepped up their efforts to "inform" on the works. See here.

Those poor pedestrians, having to use lifts to get over the tracks :rolleyes:
    Deputy Martin added that the Green Party are proposing an alternative Metroplan to ensure that the metro line runs from Charlemont or Ranelagh, down to UCD before looping through Sandyford to Knocklyon, which would bring services to “traditionally underserved areas”.

I must have missed the discovery of a giant treasure chest in the Department of Finance. Does she know something the rest of us don't?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

marno21 wrote: »
    I must have missed the discovery of a giant treasure chest in the Department of Finance. Does she know something the rest of us don't?

Yeah, I lashed it into the alternate route thread just to be sure, but man, these guys are clueless. The children's hospital and the entire health service sucking up every penny that isn't superglued down, and these clowns are talking about more tunnelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Yeah, I lashed it into the alternate route thread just to be sure, but man, these guys are clueless.
    The group and some of the individuals involved are thin-skinned to say the least. If you question their figures or assumptions on social media they just block you rather than addressing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/GraemeMcQ/status/1093603815977299974

Taken on face value, this is pretty strong support from an Taoiseach.

Of course, he is a politician, so a container of salt is required, but still.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/GraemeMcQ/status/1093603815977299974

Taken on face value, this is pretty strong support from an Taoiseach.

Of course, he is a politician, so a container of salt is required, but still.
    It's a major improvement on the attitude of his predecessor. Of course, the next few weeks will determine the immediate future of this project given the absolute mess ongoing across the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Rethink Metro link have apparently stepped up their efforts to "inform" on the works. See here.

Those poor pedestrians, having to use lifts to get over the tracks :rolleyes:

And there is no group currently that promote the project. I saw a few people online talking about such a group; I have approached them but nothing has yet happened. Fustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

They no doubt forgot to tell the punters that the new metro would get them to the airport in 25 minutes and to the city centre in around 10, with an easy connection to the DART and the Maynooth/Sligo trains. Nor did they mention that it would make stations like Windy Arbour and Cowper a lot safer than they are today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

They no doubt forgot to tell the punters that the new metro would get them to the airport in 25 minutes and to the city centre in around 10, with an easy connection to the DART and the Maynooth/Sligo trains. Nor did they mention that it would make stations like Windy Arbour and Cowper a lot safer than they are today.

The greatest danger at Cowper is delivered by the cyclists who are too selfish or too stupid to dismount once the leave the road but instead weave in and around the pedestrianised area and through the platform barriers.

I do understand, however, that the current at level crossing will not survive the increase in speed and frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

And there is no group currently that promote the project. I saw a few people online talking about such a group; I have approached them but nothing has yet happened. Fustrating.

Is this the 'Dublin Commuter Coalition' thing, I'm interested in this happening too

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/northside-metro-must-not-be-held-back-by-southside-problems-fingal-chief-1.3790356

For those who don't want to read the article:

Fingal Co. Co. CEO wants the Metro split into north and south sections so that the Ranelagh NIMBYs don't hold up the project
    SDCC have passed a motion calling on Shane Ross to reroute the Metro to Rathfarnham away from the Green Line.

The SDCC idiocy is exactly the type of nonsense I was expecting with the local elections around the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/northside-metro-must-not-be-held-back-by-southside-problems-fingal-chief-1.3790356

Fingal Co. Co. CEO wants the Metro split into north and south sections so that the Ranelagh NIMBYs don't hold up the project
    SDCC have passed a motion calling on Shane Ross to reroute the Metro to Rathfarnham away from the Green Line.

The SDCC idiocy is exactly the type of nonsense I was expecting with the local elections around the corner.

As the green line isn’t in sdcc is this because they want a slice of the sweet metro action?

salmocab wrote: »
    As the green line isn’t in sdcc is this because they want a slice of the sweet metro action?
    Ah ****e. I hadn't realised the entire Green Line was in the DLR area. That comment can be pretty much ignored in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

This is what happens when you split a city into 4 parts with no central authority.

Ah but sure don't worry, Cork will have a mayor soon.

Fkn moronic country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

D.L.R. wrote: »
    This is what happens when you split a city into 4 parts with no central authority.

Fkn moronic country.

Wasn't it Fingal who scuppered the plans for an overall Dublin mayor?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Dats me wrote: »
    Is this the 'Dublin Commuter Coalition' thing, I'm interested in this happening too

Yep. I like what they are about but I just wish they'd get a move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭prunudo

D.L.R. wrote: »

Fkn moronic country.

But its also what happens when a plan gets delayed and takes so long to get even to basic planning. The longer it spends in consultation period the more time other people will want to either stick their oar in or jump the bandwagon for wanting the metro in their back yard.

jvan wrote: »
    But its also what happens when a plan gets delayed and takes so long to get even to basic planning. The longer it spends in consultation period the more time other people will want to either stick their oar in or jump the bandwagon for wanting the metro in their back yard.
    If there weren't competing councils in Dublin though you wouldn't have one trying to get a Metro in their area rather than the area next door.

It's one of the many, many factors that are obstacles to this project which are totally unnecessary and could be avoided if there was some sort of intelligent reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Bad news for the A5 project is probably good enough news for Metrolink (this is in relation to the Children's Hospital overruns):
    https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1095098605331976193

MJohnston wrote: »
    Bad news for the A5 project is probably good enough news for Metrolink (this is in relation to the Children's Hospital overruns):
    https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1095098605331976193
    Metrolink won't be consuming significant capital funds until 2020/21 so unlikely to be a target for 2019.

Anyhow, if the project is delayed as it currently is it might be the case that planned Metrolink money on CPOs in 2020 or construction in 2021 may be reallocated depending on how long the project takes to get through An Bord Pleanala. This was originally planned for Q3/4 2019 but target seems ambitious at the minute given that the preferred route has not yet been selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So according to metrolink.ie we are due to be upgraded in the “new year” on the progress with the public consultation. Has anyone heard any concrete date for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,837 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

tom1ie wrote: »
    So according to metrolink.ie we are due to be upgraded in the “new year” on the progress with the public consultation. Has anyone heard any concrete date for this?

They mean the new year in 2026.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

They mean the new year in 2026.

.......well, I suppose they didn’t state a year..........

tom1ie wrote: »
    It was to be published in January of this year - now deferred to March. Presumably the ABP application is now deferred to early 2020.

Once the public sector unions follow what the nurses have, which they will, It will be after the next recession before anything substantial is done with this project. Its remarkable that the same mistakes are been repeated in just over a decade since the last crash. Social welfare and Health now account for 80% of all the tax take, absolutely crazy.

Infrastructure is going to have to be ringfenced from the government. All road tax, EU funds, tolls, Fuel tax, excise, % of income etc should be directed to infrastructure projects.

I think if digging hasn't started on larger projects within the next two years you could be looking at 2030. Money that would of been going to Metrolink will now be used to pay for all the new pay demands for 2020. Of course the government will pay out in time for an election and we will have an ongoing unaffordable public sector bill that will have to be paid regardless of the state of the economy. Unfortunately we have maxed out our credit card the last time we went bust and yet barely touched social or Public sector rates. Who do we borrow off next time ??? Its a shame but Capital projects like metrolink will certainly be top of the chop list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Social welfare and Health now account for 80% of all the tax take, absolutely crazy.

Hasn't that pretty much always been the case? And of course social welfare includes pensions which is the biggest ticket item.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Hasn't that pretty much always been the case? And of course social welfare includes pensions which is the biggest ticket item.

Of course, and most of the revenue used to pay social welfare isn't included in the tax-take figures. It's PRSI

Dats me wrote: »

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1095669244568784897

Newstalk had a report on the news that Dublin is the slowest city in Europe, which was astonishingly pro Metrolink and BusConnects. The presenter could have challenged her callers on a few points, but almost all of the callers were sick of the congestion, and most saw public transport investment as the answer. Graeme McQueen was on, from the Dublin Chamber, and seemed pretty knowledgeable about the issues involved.

This kind of thing bodes well for PT investment, it seems that it's a growing issue for people, and if it turns into a vote-getter, then politicians will start listening.

Listens here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Newstalk had a report on the news that Dublin is the slowest city in Europe, which was astonishingly pro Metrolink and BusConnects. The presenter could have challenged her callers on a few points, but almost all of the callers were sick of the congestion, and most saw public transport investment as the answer. Graeme McQueen was on, from the Dublin Chamber, and seemed pretty knowledgeable about the issues involved.

This kind of thing bodes well for PT investment, it seems that it's a growing issue for people, and if it turns into a vote-getter, then politicians will start listening.

Listens here.

Today FM covered the story this morning and the line of questioning was "does this mean we need more lanes for cars" :confused:

• Advertisement

Listens here.

In sharp contrast with Matt Cooper there just before 5 ranting about CPOing gardens for BusConnects and suggesting that connecting Metro to the Green Line was a waste of money because it could be used to serve the SW of the city and reduce pressure on bus services

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement