Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sheep in a field

Idbatterim wrote: »
    yeah murphaph when this opens for public consultation, not linking it to donabate and actually continuing tunnel to ranelagh will be a joke. At least there is a second chance to take a bit at the apple and a new scheme has the potential to be far better, if anything can be taken from the redesigning of the original scheme.

Also despite their best attempts to shaft us with that on street luas joke out to swords, if they couldnt do it despite their best attempts and just coming out of recession, good luck to them in future.

So we arent getting the joke option or the original scheme. So when this next scheme has been decided upon, they may try kick the can down the road in terms of when it will commence, but even out shower of gob****es, wont be able to dream up more tyre kicking, by creating another bloody cheaper hybrid scheme...

Its better than nothing hey lads? Underground as far as DCU and then onto swords. Construction to commence in 2021? Setting my alarm for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wanna bet?

i get your point and god knows what the future holds, I wont even be surprised if growth and figures are strong, that we pretty , end back up close to original scheme even in terms of capacity.

I wrote into the Clare Byrne live current affairs show for tickets. They ask are you interested in participating with questions and I said yes, including on MN etc, I can only prey I get the chance with O'Donoghue. I will straight out ask him if designing a new scheme based on a convenient LIE is a good idea...

whenever we have a new minister for transport, the first thing I will be doing is emailing that person and will ask, should original metro north not be proceeded with, given the far stronger economic and population growth than forecast, sure wasnt the lie they used that the figures used for the original scheme were too optimistic? I bet there could be new figures that suggested growth ahead of even what the original scheme foresaw, yet somehow the original scheme was still too ambitious somehow... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Actually in ballymum, what was the opposition to it running at street level?

From memory, it was'nt suggested to run it at street level, rather than tunnel underground like the rest of the route they wanted to open cut tunnel which would have dug the whole road up

Could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I posted this on the relevant thread - but what influence, if any, do posters think a successful Irish RWC2023 bid would have on infrastructure projects? I think it would be minimal, but then again, it might just be what pushes marginal projects like this into action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭medoc

If only our government could do the same here. Build today for tomorrow.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-27/melbourne-metro-rail-to-be-fully-funded-state-gov-says/7355976

f only our government could do the same here. Build today for tomorrow.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...v-says/7355976

look at our clowns, the main impediment to forming a government, given all of the issues we have here, was WATER CHARGES, WATER CHARGES! FF are are nothing but a F*cking disgrace to this country! shout out to the morons who voted for them in their droves this time round...

A few quotes from environment minister alan kelly today, that I totally agree with...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0427/784635-dail-politics/
    He said: "Politics is failing the people of the country again. Utopian populism is winning again. It's Groundhog day. We will regret it, just as we did in 77."

Minister for the Environment Alan Kelly has claimed that a row back on the water charges will mark "political, economic and environmental sabotage."

He said: "The issue of water has been a consistent blight on the political system for many years".

Mr Kelly told the Dáil that he believes "we are about to witness the triumph of mediocrity over modernism".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Bambi wrote: »
    From memory, it was'nt suggested to run it at street level, rather than tunnel underground like the rest of the route they wanted to open cut tunnel which would have dug the whole road up

Could be wrong though

It was a "cut and cover" approach, hence the few at grade junctions in the area.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I posted this on the relevant thread - but what influence, if any, do posters think a successful Irish RWC2023 bid would have on infrastructure projects? I think it would be minimal, but then again, it might just be what pushes marginal projects like this into action.

I don't believe there is any will to develop transport infrastructure in relation to the bid. I believe there will be a "make do with what we have" approach.

look at our clowns, the main impediment to forming a government, given all of the issues we have here, was WATER CHARGES, WATER CHARGES! FF are are nothing but a F*cking disgrace to this country! shout out to the morons who voted for them in their droves this time round...

A few quotes from environment minister alan kelly today, that I totally agree with...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0427/784635-dail-politics/

I assume you didn't expect any better than that approach?

I read a book this week about trams in Dublin (through streets broad and narrow). Even that refers to the obvious fact that Irish politicians couldn't grasp the fact that Dublin was a big city and couldn't differentiate between its transport needs and the needs of rural Ireland. This is still the case.

• Advertisement

so we hear about the great growth, Dublin airport is up 15% year on year growth, we HEAR they are about to do something about the housing crisis and the ridiculous number of units Dublin requires every year. The bounce back has been so strong, is this potentially the biggest joke yet in terms of transport and planning here.

60m trams are a joke for a start, that is beyond debate. rolling stock less can be ordered so save initially, seeing as they are so obsessed with headline figure. So how much will be "saved" by kicking it down the road 5 years? 1 city centre stop and some tunnelling in ballymum, "saving" what gross, the next cost is probably nothing and not something the government would probably want put out there...

paschal o donohoe is the definition of a wall flower, no wonder he has been sent off to Public Expenditure and Reform ministry...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Claire_72

interesting to see if this will ever get built, we're sham of a country when it comes to planning.

the more I think about this, the more I have to laugh! It is claimed that an Irish infrastructure project was overspecced, was it the 1st April that this announcement was made by Mr Donohoe by any chance?! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Funny how a TD in Co. Galway is fighting tooth and nail for a white elephant railway service and the actual Minister for Transport has done no campaigning whatsoever for a much needed rail scheme in his own backyard.

Funny how a TD in Co. Galway is fighting tooth and nail for a white elephant railway service and the actual Minister for Transport has done no campaigning whatsoever for a much needed rail scheme in his own backyard.
    you would have to wonder before being awarded these ministries, if they are told " this and that "are off the agenda, dont go making any trouble...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Sheep in a field

Will this be ready by 2050??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'm sure there will be a new proposal ready to be submitted for planning permission by 2050.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm sure there will be a new proposal ready to be submitted for planning permission by 2050.

Maybe some FG review will suggest shortening the platforms and then resubmitting the railway order... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

After my bus just took 12mins to get from t2 to actually leaving the airport I reckon that Metro North was a Celtic tiger extravagance, and a couple of buses should be enough to serve the village of Dublin's public transport needs for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,029 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

After my bus just took 12mins to get from t2 to actually leaving the airport I reckon that Metro North was a Celtic tiger extravagance, and a couple of buses should be enough to serve the village of Dublin's public transport needs for years to come.
    What are you moaning about? Sure didn't your bus have WiFi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

How did it take 12 minutes from T2 to leaving the airport campus?

That's not in any way normal.

What bus was it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I do not see the point of your post. Read the charter before posting again. If you think you are a bit of a comedian, please take your joke postings to the Humour area of boards. Trolling is not appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

You make a very good point about the absurdity of the current arrangements for bus connections from airport to city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bray Head wrote: »
    You make a very good point about the absurdity of the current arrangements for bus connections from airport to city centre.

Does he?
    What bus takes 12 minutes to get from T2 to the edge of the airport campus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

lxflyer wrote: »
    Does he?
    What bus takes 12 minutes to get from T2 to the edge of the airport campus?

My apologies, my post was not in the correct spirit of the thread, I was just in a bad mood after waiting a long time for a bus due to "operational issues" and should not have posted it as a rant. I had a point, but it was drowned out by my sarcasm.

The 12mins bit was true though. I got on the 747 at t2 at 17:33. Traffic was backed up from the red light at the car park exit all the back to the corner by the aircoach stop, took a while to get out of there. We then waited 2mins at the lights by the Clarion exit, and another 2 at the roundabout. I checked my watch when we were on the m1 link, and it was 17:45, 12mins after I got on the bus.

We are coming in to peak season for the airport. I predict traffic chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭medoc

We are just in Lisbon for a few days. What a great service the underground/metro is. Right under the airport to the city centre with plenty of interconnections. Every time I'm in another city it reminds me how poor Dublins infrastructure is. We need to just get on and build the bloody thing. Metro North from Swords is a good start to a proper city NETWORK. DU would also be important. And eventually do Dart/Heavy rail to the airport too. We can but dream

- Oh and how terrible is the new boards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Dart to the airport is the simplest and cheapest - and has been ruled out - I suspect because it would have to be run by IE.

Clogriffin is 7km of open countryside away from the airport and the link has been planned. Even the platforms at Clongriffin have been built. Cost would be south of €200m. Time to Connoly would be about 17 mins (subject to traffic, timetabling and signalling).

It could be built in a year - but maybe it would take five years if the work at GCD is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

medoc wrote: »
    We are just in Lisbon for a few days. What a great service the underground/metro is. Right under the airport to the city centre with plenty of interconnections. Every time I'm in another city it reminds me how poor Dublins infrastructure is. We need to just get on and build the bloody thing. Metro North from Swords is a good start to a proper city NETWORK. DU would also be important. And eventually do Dart/Heavy rail to the airport too. We can but dream

- Oh and how terrible is the new boards
    I think it's just a 'foreign country version'.
    Seriously.
    Was in Enniskillen Friday using it on a wifi network and it was horrible to even try to use it.
    Came back that evening and was using the usual version in Galway no problem

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

D Trent wrote: »
    I think it's just a 'foreign country version'.
    Seriously.
    Was in Enniskillen Friday using it on a wifi network and it was horrible to even try to use it.
    Came back that evening and was using the usual version in Galway no problem

It's been rolled out to everywhere outside the republic, and will eventually be rolled out to everyone.

It takes some getting used to, and there's still a number of bugs, but you do get used to it. Eventually. Not sure I'm liking it myself.

EDIT: You can also swap between the two at any stage. On the new site, click the "legacy site" button at the top, on the old site, click "Responsive site" down the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Time to Connoly would be about 17 mins (subject to traffic, timetabling and signalling).

A bit like those housing estates in the middle of Meath that where advertised as only 30 minutes from Dublin (at 3 am in the morning)

Travel time from clontarf to Connoly is often in excess of 10 minutes as the dart lumbers along at a snails pace waiting for a train ahead to move. Also what frequency could they deliver? Every second train would be max 3 an hour or few as 1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement