Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Even the No. 4 bus goes to Harristown rather than the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bray Head wrote: »
    Other European cities manage much quicker times on PSO-type routes.

A substantial minority of this route moves at the pace of a brisk walk. I would put this as a benchmark for pointlessness.

The 16 is a city bus service serving the Swords Road and Rathfarnham corridors. It's not an express - it's serving the entire corridors (and not just the airport) and as such it's probably one of the busiest routes in the city. That tells me it's far from pointless. Anything but.

Its primary purpose is not to link Ballinteer with the Airport - it's linking every point along the route. If you think it is/should be then you're mistaken. A city bus service is that - a bus service.

It is currently not helped by the ongoing LUAS works in the city centre which can cause major delays.

What you're looking for is the likes of BRT. If the NTA want to put in BRT or similar that's up to them and the government - that would be a different animal to the city bus service which would require massive priority to be successful.

As I mentioned - Dublin Coach will get you from Ballinteer to the Airport in 40 minutes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Even a BRT service will not come close to the proposed MN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Interesting material in the Summer Economic Statement press release yesterday:

Speaking ahead of a press conference on the details of the Summer Economic Statement 2016, Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Paschal Donohoe T.D. said: Today s Summer Economic Statement includes the provision of an extra 1 billion in capital spend on top of the additional 4 billion contained in the Programme for a Partnership Government. It brings total state backed investment over the term of the Capital Plan to 48 billion and means we will be investing 3.8% of GNP in capital by 2021. To allow for appropriate targeting of these resources, I am bringing forward the mid-term review of the Capital Plan to early 2017

Not much more detail in the document than what is in the press release here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The state wasted more than that by allowing DARTu planning to lapse and various efforts to downgrade metro north, design futile BRT projects, plus consultation on non existent alternatives to Metro and DARTu. So basically we're back to 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Discussion of Metro North in the Dail today: https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2016-06-28a.226

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just read it there quickly! Usual waffle! I am resigned to all the proposed cost "savings" except the 60m platforms. That is a joke on another level!

just reading a bit again about both projects. In terms of proposed savings we have

1. shorter platforms - a joke (honestly who ever even mentioned this for the pittance it will "save" i.e. 79,000,000 should be fired)
    2. less rolling stock - fine just order less for original MN
    3. drop a station - saving €131,000,000
    4. ballymun track (see below and this issue will arise again)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Metro

DCU/Ballymun track[edit]
    On 20 April 2007 RTÉ News reported that the decision to have elevated tracks between Dublin City University (where the underground section ends) and the airport (where it goes underground again) have been scrapped due to many complaints about noise and visual pollution that this would bring.[12] Residents associations in the Whitehall, Glasnevin and Ballymun areas had campaigned for the cut and cover option (which creates the least long-term obstruction) as the deep-bore tunnel was not preferred due to its significantly higher cost. The underground track will run underground from St Stephen's Green to north of Ballymun and surface at the Northwood stop before crossing the M50 and going underground again under Dublin Airport.

my point being, the tracks may well again be ordered to go below ground in ballymun again, the dropping of stations is a compromise, so a five year delay and all of the costs incurred again, for an inferior scheme to save and I am laughing when I say save only a mere "131,000,000" potentially?!

Idbatterim wrote: »

my point being, the tracks may well again be ordered to go below ground in ballymun again, the dropping of stations is a compromise, so a five year delay and all of the costs incurred again, for an inferior scheme to save and I am laughing when I say save only a mere "131,000,000" potentially?!

€131m will not be saved, ,€131 may be the reduced spend on the initial project. Come 5 years after opening a further €500m will be spent lengthening the platforms. O'Connell Bridge station is the most important station, offering great connectivity with Tara st DART and Abbey St luas as well as access to Templebar, Henry St, college green etc. the most popular destinations on any given day. It would be a mistake to remove this from the plan.

Cgcsb I agree with you often I put saved in inverted commas. Construction inflation alone and redesign etc will likely wipe out any headline cost reductions. Not to ad what congestion costs Dublin and the how much more land it would open up in shorter term for housing...

Your post just goes to back up what a bloody disgrace this whole sham is. The media are total and utter failures. They are getting away with this because there is virtually no pressure being put on by the public or media ...

Also of course the claimed headline savings are BS, if they spend say 10 million. How much of that goes directly or indirectly back to government coffers!!!

So when the project was scrapped, enough bs cost cutting measures had to be proposed to justify the said scrapping. Even those clowns wouldn't have the audacity to try knock it back for five years for a say 100,000,000 saving. So they look to penny pinch in several areas to make it look like the headline cost reduction is significant enough to make it worthwhile delaying the project, to the average joe soap at least...

Rte are usually quick to report on scandals. They go on about the housing crisis relentlessly. Why not report on a key area to addressing the housing crisis and the transport shambles here!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Idbatterim wrote: »
    just reading a bit again about both projects. In terms of proposed savings we have

1. shorter platforms - a joke (honestly who ever even mentioned this for the pittance it will "save" i.e. 79,000,000 should be fired)
    2. less rolling stock - fine just order less for original MN
    3. drop a station - saving €131,000,000
    4. ballymun track (see below and this issue will arise again)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Metro

why did they decide that a section would be above ground anyway? :confused::confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    why did they decide that a section would be above ground anyway? :confused::confused:

Bertie had to appease the resident's associations in his constituency. they wanted a tunnel because they thought the elevated structure would attract anti social behaviour.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Bertie had to appease the resident's associations in his constituency. they wanted a tunnel because they thought the elevated structure would attract anti social behaviour.

Is the whole thing not running underground bar a point from DCU to the airport?

Why not run the whole thing underground if that's the plan?

Is the whole thing not running underground bar a point from DCU to the airport?

Why not run the whole thing underground if that's the plan?

Originally it was to reach the surface and run on elevated track from DCU to beyond the M50 and then another deep bore tunnel under the airport.

Then the residents complained and the govt got the checkbook out and decided to cut and cover a tunnel from DCU to the M50.

No we're back to surface running in the 'optimised metro plan'

It is significantly more expansive to build a cut and cover tunnel than it is to run on the surface, putting that section underground was only to appease nimbys, there wasn't a lack of space on the surface.

I think we're now getting at grade surface running i.e. metros will be stopping at junctions, go figure.

Originally it was to reach the surface and run on elevated track from DCU to beyond the M50 and then another deep bore tunnel under the airport.

Then the residents complained and the govt got the checkbook out and decided to cut and cover a tunnel from DCU to the M50.

No we're back to surface running in the 'optimised metro plan'

It is significantly more expansive to build a cut and cover tunnel than it is to run on the surface, putting that section underground was only to appease nimbys, there wasn't a lack of space on the surface.

I think we're now getting at grade surface running i.e. metros will be stopping at junctions, go figure.

Point being if the thing was running underground everywhere else why would you put an overground section in it for one particular part of the route?

It's a bit rich to claim it's nimbysim when this thing would run underground through every other part of its route :confused:

Point being if the thing was running underground everywhere else why would you put an overground section in it for one particular part of the route?

It's a bit rich to claim it's nimbysim when this thing would run underground through every other part of its route :confused:

Cost, above ground is cheaper. The reason it's underground in the City Centre is because there is no space above ground. There is space on the Ballymun road, at least for an elevate structure, so surface running is possible there and cost effective.

The entire route is not underground, the Swords section is surface as are the rural parts either side of the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Most undergrounds actually run in tunnels as little as possible.. its expensive and complicated.. even elevated running on viaducts is usually way cheaper... if theres space keep it simple..feic the nimbies..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Cost, above ground is cheaper. The reason it's underground in the City Centre is because there is no space above ground. There is space on the Ballymun road, at least for an elevate structure, so surface running is possible there and cost effective.

The entire route is not underground, the Swords section is surface as are the rural parts either side of the airport.

It would have to make it through dorset street, drumcondra, griffith avenue, and glasnevin. All of which have roads that have a similar amount of space to the ballymun road :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

It would have to make it through dorset street, drumcondra, griffith avenue, and glasnevin. All of which have roads that have a similar amount of space to the ballymun road :confused:
    Not really. They are not as wide, not as straight and development is much closer to the edge of the road.

Berlin's 'U-Bahn' (ie, underground way) started life on viaducts and still runs that way for large parts. Apparently going underground risked damaging the brand new sewers!

None of those roads have the central reserve space of the Ballymun road and none are positioned to allow a relatively straight line route.

• Advertisement

Bray Head wrote: »
    Not really. They are not as wide, not as straight and development is much closer to the edge of the road.

Berlin's 'U-Bahn' (ie, underground way) started life on viaducts and still runs that way for large parts. Apparently going underground risked damaging the brand new sewers!

You'll find most of the ballymun road is similar to drumcondra, griffith avenue or dorset street in terms of width, development and straightness.

Smacks of a the usual government thinking that there's there was money to be saved in the povvo neighborhood ;)

Aside from that the bottleneck that a ground level rail line causes, having to contend with traffic, lights and speed limits would be something that you would want to avoid I imagine :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

None of those roads have the central reserve space of the Ballymun road and none are positioned to allow a relatively straight line route.

Just to summarise

1) Original Plan: On stilts, no at grade junctions
    2) Locals didn't like, so we go underground (obviously no at grade junctions)
    3) We go for "optimised" metro to save money. Now on street running down the median, with at grade junctions..

jd wrote: »
    Just to summarise

1) Original Plan: On stilts, no at grade junctions
    2) Locals didn't like, so we go underground (obviously no at grade junctions)
    3) We go for "optimised" metro to save money. Now on street running down the median, with at grade junctions..

Basically, although in the future it will be possible to put in 3 road bridges at Glasnevin/collins Avenue, Santry avenue and Shangan Road, and then there are only 6 remaining points at which traffic can cross, some of those can closed fairly easily, and you would need pedestrian over bridges to avoid bisecting Ballymun village entirely.

You'll find most of the ballymun road is similar to drumcondra, griffith avenue or dorset street in terms of width, development and straightness.

Nope none of them do, there is no central reserve on any and there is no straight line road between Drumcondra station and the ballymun road.
    Aside from that the bottleneck that a ground level rail line causes, having to contend with traffic, lights and speed limits would be something that you would want to avoid I imagine :confused:

Yes and the elevated structure balances cost with that requirement. surface running is a cheaper again compromise.

Nope none of them do, there is no central reserve on any and there is no straight line road between Drumcondra station and the ballymun road.

Yes and the elevated structure balances cost with that requirement. surface running is a cheaper again compromise.

Presuming the Ballymun road "reserve" you're on about is the pedestrian Island/Central row of trees, you also have two rows of trees on Griffith avenue taking up even more space (good luck with that :D)

theres a "reserve" and pedestrian island up Dorset street to. There's a "reserve" through much of Drumcondra too. Like I said, the defining factor is more likely to be that the government thought they could get away with running it above ground through a council estate. No suprise there.

If you wanted to you could run most of the route above ground but why would you? :confused:

The sooner they bit the bullet on an underground system the better for dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Presuming the Ballymun road "reserve" you're on about is the pedestrian Island/Central row of trees, you also have two rows of trees on Griffith avenue taking up even more space (good luck with that :D)

theres a "reserve" and pedestrian island up Dorset street to. There's a "reserve" through much of Drumcondra too.

I really don't think this is accurate. The Ballymun Road has a large (about two traffic lanes wide) central reservation that runs uninterrupted (save for junctions) for an entire 3.2km, all the way from the M50 to Griffith Avenue.

The trees on Griffith Avenue are at the *sides* of the roads, which is an entirely different prospect. It should also be noted that the trees there are much older and more established than the handful of small ones along the Ballymun Road (which really doesn't have a lot of trees for most of its length).

Dorset Street has a central reservation that's just about 1 traffic lane wide, but it is a substantially busier road, with really important and busy junctions that could not be interrupted (NCR, Whitworth Road, etc.), and more importantly, the reservation is barely 500m in length and ends abruptly right after the Drumcondra railway bridge (which in itself might be another obstacle?).

Where do you propose this overground line would run for the 2km between that railway bridge and Griffith Avenue?

theres a "reserve" and pedestrian island up Dorset street to. There's a "reserve" through much of Drumcondra too. Like I said, the defining factor is more likely to be that the government thought they could get away with running it above ground through a council estate. No suprise there.

If you wanted to you could run most of the route above ground but why would you? :confused:

The trees on the side of griffith avenue are an entirely different prospect, you'd be taking pedestrian space away for a wider road, the central reserve on Dorset Street is narrow and only 300m long.

What surface route would you propose for metro north? what sharp bends would have to be taken?

MJohnston wrote: »
    I really don't think this is accurate. The Ballymun Road has a large (about two traffic lanes wide) central reservation that runs uninterrupted (save for junctions) for an entire 3.2km, all the way from the M50 to Griffith Avenue.

The trees on Griffith Avenue are at the *sides* of the roads, which is an entirely different prospect. It should also be noted that the trees there are much older and more established than the handful of small ones along the Ballymun Road (which really doesn't have a lot of trees for most of its length).

Dorset Street has a central reservation that's just about 1 traffic lane wide, but it is a substantially busier road, with really important and busy junctions that could not be interrupted (NCR, Whitworth Road, etc.), and more importantly, the reservation is barely 500m in length and ends abruptly right after the Drumcondra railway bridge (which in itself might be another obstacle?).

Where do you propose this overground line would run for the 2km between that railway bridge and Griffith Avenue?

Notwithstanding your assertion that the good people of griffith avenue have a god given right to greenery that their near neighbors don't :confused: hop on google maps and take a look at the central median of the ballymun road then compare it to dorset street.

It's barely one lane in places. If you could run a train service up that median without completely taking out other lanes there you could run it up any of the other sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is the argument that this is as wide as this?

• Advertisement

Notwithstanding your assertion that the good people of griffith avenue have a god given right to greenery that their near neighbors don't :confused: hop on google maps and take a look at the central median of the ballymun road then compare it to dorset street.

It's barely one lane in places. If you could run a train service up that median without completely taking out other lanes there you could run it up any of the other sites.

What surface route you propose from Drumcondra?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement