Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The idea of running the Metro through these narrow urban dual carriageway medians with lots of crossings and about 2ft away from traffic makes me want to bang my head against a wall

This should be underground, completely separated from traffic so that a high speed, frequent service can be run

Or am I missing something here? Please tell me I am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

marno21 wrote: »
    The idea of running the Metro through these narrow urban dual carriageway medians with lots of crossings and about 2ft away from traffic makes me want to bang my head against a wall

This should be underground, completely separated from traffic so that a high speed, frequent service can be run

Or am I missing something here? Please tell me I am
    I've no problem with at grade running where a wide central median is available like Luas on on the Naas Road but the line should dip under road junctions. There should be no level crossings built in a new system. They are very hard to remove once the system opens and becomes essential.

A deep bore tunnel is completely unnecessary through Ballymun and the irony is that surface or cut and cover running would provide a more convenient end product for Ballymun residents. The Berlin U-Bahn tunnels are mostly cut and cover and you often have one short flight of stairs from surface to platform. Deep bore tunnels mean long slow escalator journeys to and from the platform. It all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Bambi wrote: »
    Notwithstanding your assertion that the good people of griffith avenue have a god given right to greenery that their near neighbors don't :confused: hop on google maps and take a look at the central median of the ballymun road then compare it to dorset street.

It's barely one lane in places. If you could run a train service up that median without completely taking out other lanes there you could run it up any of the other sites.

Firstly, I didn't assert anything like that, so please don't put words in my mouth. I said that the trees are older and more established on Griffith Avenue, which is objectively true. My concern isn't about the poor poor residents of either area, but that while you can relocate smaller trees, it's basically impossible to do so with larger ones, so the only option would be to kill them all. Not a great option imo.

As for your comparison of Dorset Street to the Ballymun Road - you've (perhaps intentionally) taken a screenshot of one of the minor turning lanes along the central reservation, which ironically handily illustrates that there is indeed about 2 traffic lanes of width to the reservation for most of this road (ie. the grass area ahead of the turning lane). Those kinds of turning lanes would be easily closed up, given that adequate turnaround opportunities exist at bigger junctions along the same road.

Dorset Street has less width on its reservation even *before* you add the turning lanes along that road into account. And that's before you take into account obstacles like this:
    O1vPi4W.jpg

You haven't accounted for that stretch of road through Drumcondra where is *no* central reservation. Or how about outside the Cat and Cage pub, which was just recently rescued from congestion thanks to bus lanes being squeezed into the last bit of space? Would you undo that good work?

What about the relative usage of both roads? Ballymun Road is relatively lightly used, whereas Dorset Street/Drumcondra is a major route out of the city towards the M1 or the airport.

There's no comparison, Ballymun Road is a much more sensible route for Metro North.

NIMBY arguments here are bizarre too imo - Ballymun will hugely benefit from having MN running through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MJohnston wrote: »

What about the relative usage of both roads? Ballymun Road is relatively lightly used, whereas Dorset Street/Drumcondra is a major route out of the city towards the M1 or the airport.

There's no comparison, Ballymun Road is a much more sensible route for Metro North.

NIMBY arguments here are bizarre too imo - Ballymun will hugely benefit from having MN running through it.

I've never actually said what form of metro I want to see, on street, under or above. I would be agnostic about the above or below ground options in general but I think any on street section in a built up area is completely mental.

What I'm pointing out is the idea that there is some unique qualities to the ballymun road that makes it ideal for a street level rail system is absolute guff. You have the same issues on the ballymun road as you will on all those other roads, the defining factor is that the planners thought they could get away with saving a few bob going through a council estate, which is why it was only going to surface after it hits DCU :D

Dorset street has a median running through it that would be rougly the same size as the one that runs up much of the ballymun road, it ends just before your screen shot ;)

Dorset street has a median running through it that would be rougly the same size as the one that runs up much of the ballymun road, it ends just before your screen shot ;)

It absolutely doesn't - you can't just outright lie when Streetview immediately proves you wrong. Again, the Dorset Street reservation starts in a heavily built-up, heavily trafficked area which can't be easily reached from anywhere and ends about 500m later in the same. It's completely incomparable to Ballymun.

What makes the Ballymun Road so suited to surface running is the space in the median, the relative lack of major junctions, the low traffic density, and the fact that the median runs for a substantial distance out as far as the M50.

But you've failed to address any of the pertinent questions put to you, so I guess you'll just ignore this post too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I doubt you'd need to retain two bus lanes along Ballymun Road if a metro was provided, given that most bus users would switch - straight away there is the extra space required.

That would not be the case along Drumcondra or Dorset St due to the far greater spread of bus services using that route.

the defining factor is that the planners thought they could get away with saving a few bob going through a council estate, which is why it was only going to surface after it hits DCU :D

Also, I'll point out that you keep saying this like it's a negative for Ballymun to get Metro North running through it. The benefits for the area would be far outweighed by any possible detrimental effects of surface running.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I've never actually said what form of metro I want to see, on street, under or above. I would be agnostic about the above or below ground options in general but I think any on street section in a built up area is completely mental.

What I'm pointing out is the idea that there is some unique qualities to the ballymun road that makes it ideal for a street level rail system is absolute guff. You have the same issues on the ballymun road as you will on all those other roads, the defining factor is that the planners thought they could get away with saving a few bob going through a council estate, which is why it was only going to surface after it hits DCU :D

Could you please propose a surface route between Dorset St and the Ballymun Road?

To be brutally honest it's this sort of mentality that allows our politicians to build nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

I think we can all agree that running the metro on the surface through ballymun is a bad idea , but can anyone explain why , the metro is be put in a tunnel in and around the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It's funny how some people want to keep the tbm running pass Stephen's green out to Renalgh just in case and others are opposed to a simple cut and cover job.

Is the argument that this is as wide as this?

It's an argument that this is a two lane central strip :confused:

vJd0AwC.png
    It absolutely doesn't - you can't just outright lie when Streetview immediately proves you wrong.

Now now matey, a bit less of the accusations of lying if you don't mind. After all you're the chap who initially claimed that "The Ballymun Road has a large (about two traffic lanes wide) central reservation that runs uninterrupted (save for junctions) for an entire 3.2km, all the way from the M50 to Griffith Avenue. "
    We both know that's ...ahem.. inaccurate, half the length of that central strip is not two lanes wide. Just follow it on Google maps, it's traffic lanes for mmuch of its length

Those kinds of turning lanes would be easily closed up, given that adequate turnaround opportunities exist at bigger junctions along the same road.

And now we finally get down the real crux of the matter. :) "There'll be loads of space for the metro once we close off most of those junctions and get rid of those traffic lanes " Thats exactly why the locals put the kibosh on it. No doubt most of those pesky pedestrian crossings would have had to go too

Could you please propose a surface route between Dorset St and the Ballymun Road?

I won't and I have no idea why you think I would. My point is you decide to clear out the space to run a metro line up the ballymun road you could run the damn thing up nearly any other two way system on the route, just a matter of what you're willing to remove to make space.

I don't need to look at Streetview for the Ballymun Road, or indeed Dorset Street and Drumcondra because I know the roads really well, but anyone here can take a look and see that there's plenty of space (and again, your Streetview screenshot confirms its "about two traffic lanes wide") on the median of Ballymun Road, a road that has only maybe two major junctions for most of that stretch. Closing all the minor junctions is something they'll have to do, but if the argument is between that or running a really expensive tunnel, it seems like a small price to pay.

Your attempts to suggest that other roads in the area heading in a similar direction would be equal in impact is just not truthful. Dorset Street is a major, major artery, already tight for space, and with lots of surrounding immovable obstacles. Ballymun route is nowhere near as disruptive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

It's an argument that this is a two lane central strip :confused:

vJd0AwC.png

Now now matey, a bit less of the accusations of lying if you don't mind. After all you're the chap who initially claimed that "The Ballymun Road has a large (about two traffic lanes wide) central reservation that runs uninterrupted (save for junctions) for an entire 3.2km, all the way from the M50 to Griffith Avenue. "
    We both know that's ...ahem.. inaccurate, half the length of that central strip is not two lanes wide. Just follow it on Google maps, it's traffic lanes for mmuch of its length

And now we finally get down the real crux of the matter. :) "There'll be loads of space for the metro once we close off most of those junctions and get rid of those traffic lanes " Thats exactly why the locals put the kibosh on it. No doubt most of those pesky pedestrian crossings would have had to go too

I won't and I have no idea why you think I would. My point is you decide to clear out the space to run a metro line up the ballymun road you could run the damn thing up nearly any other two way system on the route, just a matter of what you're willing to remove to make space.

You would make a great politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Literally picking the one spot where the median isn't wide...

I don't need to look at Streetview for the Ballymun Road, or indeed Dorset Street and Drumcondra because I know the roads really well, but anyone here can take a look and see that there's plenty of space (and again, your Streetview screenshot confirms its "about two traffic lanes wide") on the median of Ballymun Road, a road that has only maybe two major junctions for most of that stretch. Closing all the minor junctions is something they'll have to do, but if the argument is between that or running a really expensive tunnel, it seems like a small price to pay.
    Your attempts to suggest that other roads in the area heading in a similar direction would be equal in impact is just not truthful.

Where did I suggest that it would be "equal in impact"? That the second time you've thrown the accusation of lying around and to be truthful it's not something you'd do in person now is it? A bit less of that carry on if you will.

But lets revisit this central strip of yours, you claim its mostly two lanes wide like this:

mNtFYkl.jpg

But the truth is that its like this for much of its length, basically a footpath:

ylVxmq4.jpg

SqnaUar.jpg

uEMASdb.jpg

AHxAM1G.png

Now perhaps you can explain how you're getting two lanes of traffic down those central footpaths that show up every 50-100 feet?

Of course you already have, take those car lanes away and close junctions that you think are minor (and you know this road well? :confused:) Those junctions were'nt put there just for fun. That is why the above ground option was nixed. And the good city of dublin was saved a colossal balls up, running a metro at ground level through a built up area is loony tunes planning.

iopener wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that running the metro on the surface through ballymun is a bad idea , but can anyone explain why , the metro is be put in a tunnel in and around the airport.

You would like to imagine so but you do get lads who get excited about this class of idea like its some sort of hornby set :confused: Is it planned to run underground to the airport? Perhaps due to chronic congestion in the fields around St Margarets and Dardistown? :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Why is there a debate about how wide the median is. The median could be 100ft wide but there's still a plethora of junctions along the route.

If there's billions spent on Metro North it needs to be done properly, as a high speed, high frequency service for the Airport and North Dublin. Having it mixed with traffic along the R108 does not allow it to meet that criteria. In that case it's just another Luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »
    Why is there a debate about how wide the median is. The median could be 100ft wide but there's still a plethora of junctions along the route.

If there's billions spent on Metro North it needs to be done properly, as a high speed, high frequency service for the Airport and North Dublin. Having it mixed with traffic along the R108 does not allow it to meet that criteria. In that case it's just another Luas.

If there are at grade junction crossings and on street running on any part of the line it's basically another Luas with certain sections underground (which is what should have been done with the city centre sections of the red and green lines) You are limiting it capacity from day one on to a 30 million plus passenger international airport. A more expensive version of the proposed airport luas!!!

SantryRed wrote: »
    Literally picking the one spot where the median isn't wide...

It's a right turning lane, easily removed. <snip> Anyone who knows either road will tell you that Ballymun is wider and the building line is much further back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

The residents objected to the original elevated metro as they didn't want to be overlooked! Right turns could have been preserved under it..

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's a right turning lane, easily removed. <snip>. Anyone who knows either road will tell you that Ballymun is wider and the building line is much further back.

I thought we debating that there was a central reservation running down the ballymun road thats so wide you could run a couple of train lines down it :confused: Apparently its now a question of which road is wider, sure while you're moving those junctions we can shift a few goalposts i suppose.

But lets entertain the building line idea. Do you mean there's a wide pedestrian area between the road and the properties? There sure is on certain lengths of the Ballymun road, but as you've previously noted, pedestrian areas should remain untouched. (Although the central median on the Ballymun road is almost entirely for pedestrians soo... :o)
    The trees on the side of griffith avenue are an entirely different prospect, you'd be taking pedestrian space away for a wider road, the central reserve on Dorset Street is narrow and only 300m long.

So are pedestrian areas on the table for our hornby set plan now?
    jd wrote: »
    The residents objected to the original elevated metro as they didn't want to be overlooked! Right turns could have been preserved under it..

As previously stated, I'm agnostic about the elevated option, if it was done right then it could work very well. That said, the railway bridge over the Liffey stands as a reminder as to the hazards of that approach I guess

I thought we debating that there was a central reservation running down the ballymun road thats so wide you could run a couple of train lines down it :confused: Apparently its now a question of which road is wider, sure while you're moving those junctions we can shift a few goalposts i suppose.

You've moved the goalposts several times yourself - you originally started this argument by suggesting that there's nothing unique about the Ballymun Road that makes it particularly suited to running a street-level Metro through it. You suggested that, and I quote "dorset street, drumcondra, griffith avenue, and glasnevin. All of which have roads that have a similar amount of space to the ballymun road". Several people have now pointed out how that is very inaccurate. The two lane thing is a red herring that you've latched onto (you'll note that I originally only said vaguely "about two lanes" as an estimate).

Note that we're operating from a premise that a certain amount of street-level running must exist in order for MN to be affordable; I'm sure all of us here would prefer that it was fully underground or grade-separated.

But lets entertain the building line idea. Do you mean there's a wide pedestrian area between the road and the properties? There sure is on certain lengths of the Ballymun road, but as you've previously noted, pedestrian areas should remain untouched. (Although the central median on the Ballymun road is almost entirely for pedestrians soo... :o)

So are pedestrian areas on the table for our hornby set plan now?

As previously stated, I'm agnostic about the elevated option, if it was done right then it could work very well. That said, the railway bridge over the Liffey stands as a reminder as to the hazards of that approach I guess

Can you propose a route for metro north via dorset st? since there's just as much space as there is on the Ballymun Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭annfield1978

An Alignment Study tender for New Metro North has been issued by the NTA to carry out an options selection and identify an Emerging Preferred Route for the Scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I am assuming many residents may still object to surface level running, if they do, can ABP force them to tunnel again?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I am assuming many residents may still object to surface level running, if they do, can ABP force them to tunnel again?

Anyone with an interest in a interest in a high speed metro like system should object. It's either under ground or off ground. Street level running is a joke

Anyone with an interest in a interest in a high speed metro like system should object. It's either under ground or off ground. Street level running is a joke
    On street running or level crossings are a joke indeed but at grade running with grade separation at junctions would be fine so long as 80km/h running is achievable.

murphaph wrote: »
    On street running or level crossings are a joke indeed but at grade running with grade separation at junctions would be fine so long as 80km/h running is achievable.

Which of course will not only mean grade separation but pedestrian separation as the Ballymun Road is a built up residential area. Basically dividing Ballymun in 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

I don't see the problem with elevated running. There's elevated sections in Ranelagh and Sandyford. They look well and don't have a negative impact at all quite the opposite. And obviously far far superior to surface running.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

D.L.R. wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with elevated running. There's elevated sections in Ranelagh and Sandyford. They look well and don't have a negative impact at all quite the opposite. And obviously far far superior to surface running.

I think citing the loop line at Tara St to Connolly is a bit unkind. That was Victorian Engineering at its most brutal. A sleek design in the style of the Dundrum viaduct would be a great asset. Simple stairs up to stations would also work.

The options are: at grade, elevated, cut & cover, and deep tunnel - in order of cast. Elevated would get my vote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement