Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Great one car crossing and maybe 2 pedestrian crossing over 3 k of road.

Incorrect. 3 car crossings, or 5 with the elevated section around the Ikea junction, which is going to be the case as jd pointed out. Which means at least 5 pedestrian crossings, at least 1 at the Ballymun Metro station itself, and optionally more if you build a couple of overpasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

1. This is a residential area
    2. Traffic needs to be able cross the road
    3. People need to be able to cross the road
    4. MU is expecting to run every 3 to 5 minutes in one direction
    5. MU is expected to going at about 80 kph

All of which means better than long mile road like grade separation and no time to sit around at lights

Or of course we can cheap out on it and have in running at 30 kph like the Luas around town, stopping for traffic lights but then it's not really a metro

I think you'll find the proposed solution to the first three points is "I don't care"

Anyone who thinks there's going to be two high frequency train lines splitting Glasnevin and Ballymun at ground level is living in a hornby fantasy world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have heard the proposed frequency is up to every 2 minutes and if they go for the pathetic 60m platforms, wait till its every 2 minutes from nearly the get go, not 10 years down the road :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MJohnston wrote: »
    Incorrect. 3 car crossings, or 5 with the elevated section around the Ikea junction, which is going to be the case as jd pointed out. Which means at least 5 pedestrian crossings, at least 1 at the Ballymun Metro station itself, and optionally more if you build a couple of overpasses.
    Sorry misread your post. So basically barring papins road (which I feel is needed for the bus and local access) we are on the same page of 600 to 900 m of duck and dive over the course of 2k.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What are the cost implication say per km for

1. At grade.
    2. elevated
    3. cut and cover
    4. trench
    5. deep tunnel
    6. duck and dive.

Just wondering how much of a difference we are talking about.

• Advertisement

What are the cost implication say per km for

1. At grade.
    2. elevated
    3. cut and cover
    4. trench
    5. deep tunnel
    6. duck and dive.

I was thinking the same earlier, particularly for elevated...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If street running along the R108 is the order of the day, call it Luas North and just build it with all these at grade junctions.

Either it's a high speed grade seperated metro or not. There is no in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

http://m.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0809/807945-dublin-airport-growth/

Sure a couple of buses and a taxi will cover that

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://m.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0809/807945-dublin-airport-growth/

Sure a couple of buses and a taxi will cover that

And more car parks. Lots of car parks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

What exactly is DAA's position on MN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Bray Head wrote: »
    What exactly is DAA's position on MN?

Why on Earth would they want to loose their car park revenue to a frequent, reliable light rail?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The DAA have spent nearly €50m to upgrade the airport according to that report and the Clongriffin spur costs between €100m and €200m, which would be a quick solution to passenger and staff transport.

Metro North would be a longer term and better solution.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Why on Earth would they want to loose their car park revenue to a frequent, reliable light rail?

The car park revenue is pretty safe because people will still arrive by car and need to park them. It is near impossible to get a car park space unless it is booked in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

The DAA have spent nearly 50m to upgrade the airport according to that report and the Clongriffin spur costs between 100m and 200m, which would be a quick solution to passenger and staff transport.

As low as 100m for a brand new alignment, CPO of farmland, bridge over the M50, station, junction at Clongriffin.

Not remotely credible to me.

I have asked / stated this before. Can't they build a large car park themselves and make money from it on a greenfield site near airport? The metro would be the shuttle...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I have asked / stated this before. Can't they build a large car park themselves and make money from it on a greenfield site near airport? The metro would be the shuttle...

It's a good idea, you could run it like Heathrow express and have Free transport to / from Car Park.
    Most of this land is already owned by private developers / DAA though.

Imagine the fortune in parking that could be saved if there was a frequent / high hughish speed option of getting to the airport. I'd love to be able to ditch car for stays of more than several days, if not all together. You'd have to wonder if metro north is actually more important than DU. It would take a lot of traffic off m50 and the n1 from city centre to port tunnel entrance. Both of which suffer chronic traffic...

The car park revenue is pretty safe because people will still arrive by car and need to park them. It is near impossible to get a car park space unless it is booked in advance.

Yes but certainly less so. If you have a reliable rail service driving and paying parking charges will become less attractive.

Imagine the fortune in parking that could be saved if there was a frequent / high hughish speed option of getting to the airport. I'd love to be able to ditch car for stays of more than several days, if not all together. You'd have to wonder if metro north is actually more important than DU. It would take a lot of traffic off m50 and the n1 from city centre to port tunnel entrance. Both of which suffer chronic traffic...

I would say metro north will serve more new, previously unserved areas, with rail. DARTu, will have the effect of radically improving existing rail services in the GDA and indeed across the country as more capacity will be freed up for long distance trains.

cgcsb wrote: »
    I would say metro north will serve more new, previously unserved areas, with rail. DARTu, will have the effect of radically improving existing rail services in the GDA and indeed across the country as more capacity will be freed up for long distance trains.
    in the short term though if easing Dublin congestion is number 1 criteria. Wouldn't MN do a better job of this than Du?

• Advertisement

I don't think there's any point in talking 'short term' when either project will take at least 5 years to construct and at least 3 years of planning. Assuming no change of government or rather change of the wind.

Besides it's not like we can't fund both. Ireland's cost of borrowing is at a record low and we seem to be able to easily find the cash to build mega bridges across the river barrow and loch Corrib for no good reason.

I agree with the above. But if we could choose one to start right now, I'd go with MN...

I agree with the above. But if we could choose one to start right now, I'd go with MN...

But if you started Clongriffin, DU and MN today, Clongriffin would come on stream first by a long way.

But if you started Clongriffin, DU and MN today, Clongriffin would come on stream first by a long way.

But what would be the point if there's nowhere for trains comming from the airport to go when it merges onto the northern line.

Couldn't less darts be run to howth? To make airport service in any way useful you would need two preferably three darts per hour in my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Couldn't less darts be run to howth? To make airport service in any way useful you would need two preferably three darts per hour in my opinion...

If you had to wait half an hour for the next train, you'ld be rightly complaining about the uselessness of the train.

If you had to wait half an hour for the next train, you'ld be rightly complaining about the uselessness of the train.
    i just checked stansted express and they run up to every 15 min...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

in the short term though if easing Dublin congestion is number 1 criteria. Wouldn't MN do a better job of this than Du?
    Not if DU was implemented holistically. DU would involve the tunnel, creating the X shaped DART network, as we all know on here. This would need to be accompanied by a wholesale reconfiguration of bus routes in most of West Dublin/North Kildare, North East Dublin and South East Dublin, so that the massive capacity created on the DART network could be fed with buses that cease running parallel to the existing heavy rail lines and instead run perpendicular to them. You wouldn't run a 67A from Maynooth to town any more. You'd run it from say Dunboyne Railway station to Maynooth Station, to Hazelhatch to the Luas at Saggart. Further in you'd run from Clonsilla Station to Adamstown to Luas somewhere like Cheeverstown and on to say Bawnogue, and so in in towards town.

In South East Dublin the same idea but with buses running perpendicular to the Luas and DART and when MN got built the same there too.

The buses don't get snarled up in city centre traffic and can actually run to some sort of reliable time table.

Ah, but it'll never happen with our current political set-up. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

murphaph wrote: »
    Not if DU was implemented holistically. DU would involve the tunnel, creating the X shaped DART network, as we all know on here. This would need to be accompanied by a wholesale reconfiguration of bus routes in most of West Dublin/North Kildare, North East Dublin and South East Dublin, so that the massive capacity created on the DART network could be fed with buses that cease running parallel to the existing heavy rail lines and instead run perpendicular to them. You wouldn't run a 67A from Maynooth to town any more. You'd run it from say Dunboyne Railway station to Maynooth Station, to Hazelhatch to the Luas at Saggart. Further in you'd run from Clonsilla Station to Adamstown to Luas somewhere like Cheeverstown and on to say Bawnogue, and so in in towards town.

In South East Dublin the same idea but with buses running perpendicular to the Luas and DART and when MN got built the same there too.

The buses don't get snarled up in city centre traffic and can actually run to some sort of reliable time table.

Ah, but it'll never happen with our current political set-up. :(

That's the dream right there.

• Advertisement

Bray Head wrote: »
    As low as 100m for a brand new alignment, CPO of farmland, bridge over the M50, station, junction at Clongriffin.

Not remotely credible to me.

The €100m would build the rail - it is just 7 km across green fields with a crossing on the M1. That requires less than 70 acres of land.

Electrification and rolling stock would increase the cost. The commuter trains running non-stop to Connolly, or a single stop at Clongriffin, would be able to provide the service assuming there is room in the schedule.

Dart to the airport would require the Howth Junction to Howth service to become a shuttle service - that is already a published plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement