Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand in a campervan

Options
  • 09-03-2010 6:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

North and South Island!!

What place must be visited?
    Any info you wish to pass on?
    Any crafty tricks you would like to tell me?
    Any information at all?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Spend more time in the south island than the north.
    You don't need to do a round trip, ie I picked up my van in Aukland and dropped it off in Christchurch and got an internal flight back, gives you more time to see stuff.
    The distances are not huge and the islands are comparable with the sze of the UK, but the road network is nowhere near the same, so alow a longer time for getting between places than you might expect, there is probably a good view along the way that is worth stopping for anyway so what's the rush.
    Campervan sites are pretty cheap and also fairly central to most towns, except Wellington.
    I stayed at a lot of sites in the same chain so ended up becoming a "member" at the first of theirs I stayed at and then got a %'age discount at each site after that.
    I was down there in their winter so was partly focused on getting from one ski hill to the next, traffic wasn't a problem that time of year. I've heard rumors that it can get pretty busy with campervans about the place in the summer months.

If I can remember properly, my route over the three weeks was something like:
    Aukland - Rotorua - Ohakune - Pamerston North - Wellington - Ferry - Greymouth - Wanaka - Queenstown - Te Anau - Stewart Island - Invercargill - Dunedin - Christchurch.

There was a lot of stuff I missed out that I would have liked to see, but that just gives me an excuse for yet another trip. :D

I saw far more in those three weeks than I did in the 3 months I spent in NZ last year though. Get a guide book and see what takes your fancy, and plan an aproximate route, don't plan on sticking to that plan to rigidly though. Just use it as a vauge plan and see where you end up, what the weather does to you on the way, somethings will just be rubbish in the wrong weather so keep going and spend more time at the next thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

As a regular you know that this one has been asked zillions of times before. Use the search button.

One thing though is to make time for the west coast and Blenhiem. Also if you can travel inland on the queenstown, tekapo road. One of the best drives you can do in the world. Did it 3 times and would do it again!

It also depends a lot on you. What are you into, you into tramping or surfing. If its surfing then stick to the coast, if it tramping then visit the national parks in both islands. You scratch our back we.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

jank wrote: »
    As a regular you know that this one has been asked zillions of times before.

You would think so but I cant find much.

Why are you so agro towards me? Is it because my posting style is so sexy and you find yourself fancying me?
    Fancying this mysterious poster who is always at the forefront of the 'scene' and so cuttingedge he can bring the dead back to life?

Is that it?
    Cause you fancy me?
    Is that the reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's the reason Brendan, almost certainly

You would think so but I cant find much.

Why are you so agro towards me? Is it because my posting style is so sexy and you find yourself fancying me?
    Fancying this mysterious poster who is always at the forefront of the 'scene' and so cuttingedge he can bring the dead back to life?

Is that it?
    Cause you fancy me?
    Is that the reason?

Eh agro? What the fcuk are you on about? If you want to post retarded $hit that is your prerogative but last I heard this forum isn't after hours.

• Advertisement

old-man.jpg

Jesus lad. Cheer up ffs.

I'm very cheery I just don't like gob****es.

I'm very cheery I just don't like gob****es.

Me neither

;)

Friends? lol

Advertisement